Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dwill ... 20,000 shots this summer, Eating Better and Lost Weight  (Read 8583 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Are you happy Ners?

On Point: Derrick Wilson Blog Entry No. 8

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/080614aaa.html

Aug. 6, 2014

Hey what's up everyone?

I am sad to say that summer school ends for me this week and this will be the last blog post of the summer. On the other hand, I am extremely excited that summer is over which means school is about to start and that means basketball season is near.

Let me take you back down memory lane for a second. I can remember like it was yesterday my first summer on campus. Trying to adjust to the constant working out and playing against guys who are all on the same physical level was difficult. I went to prep school, so I was used to being on my own, but being in a new city and being the young guy on the team was a process I had to go through all over again and I have to say I enjoyed it. My summers in Milwaukee have been great for the most part, but from as a basketball standpoint this was my most productive summer yet. I've gotten up over 20,000 shots, have had multiple workout sessions enhancing my skills and also have started to eat healthier, which has resulted in me dropping a few pounds and making my body feel better. So I'm really excited to translate my offseason work on to the court.

I also have to thank all the managers, my teammates and coaches for making this summer the best in my four years here. Without them pushing me and making me better everyday I feel that I wouldn't have improved as much as did. On another note, I will miss working with the people in the communications department for Marquette Athletics and have a new-found respect for what they do up here day in and day out. Lastly, I have to recognize all the people who supported and read my blog this summer. I appreciate that.

Well that's it for me, I like Milwaukee but it's time for me to head home and see the family before school starts. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the summer and be safe. Peace out y'all. Until next time.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:25:46 PM by Heisenberg »

brandx

Re: Dwill ... 20,000 shots this summer, Eating Better and Lost Weight
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »
I guess my reply is "Why wait until the summer of your SENIOR season to do this?"

He knew he was a bad shooter and the coaching staff knew he was a bad shooter. That was my problem with the previous coaching staff. Too many guys were the same as seniors as they were as sophomores.

Vander hit more jumpers as a junior, but was still a bad jump shooter with bad form. In 3 years, wasn't there any coach who saw this?

Mayo was just as careless with the ball as a junior as when he was a sophomore.

Did we see anything different in Jamil's game as a senior that we didn't see two years earlier?

Was Gardner's game improved as a senior or was it just that he played more minutes.

Recruiting is obviously extremely important, but aren't coaches still supposed to coach? I see this aspect as a huge improvement with the new regime. I think they will be much better teachers/coaches.

We'll have to wait to see if they can recruit as well.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:31:56 PM »
Because we don't already have enough threads on this topic, so why not make 1 more?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:45:32 PM »
I guess my reply is "Why wait until the summer of your SENIOR season to do this?"

He knew he was a bad shooter and the coaching staff knew he was a bad shooter. That was my problem with the previous coaching staff. Too many guys were the same as seniors as they were as sophomores.

Vander hit more jumpers as a junior, but was still a bad jump shooter with bad form. In 3 years, wasn't there any coach who saw this?

Did we see anything different in Jamil's game as a senior that we didn't see two years earlier?

Was Gardner's game improved as a senior or was it just that he played more minutes.

Recruiting is obviously extremely important, but aren't coaches still supposed to coach? I see this aspect as a huge improvement with the new regime. I think they will be much better teachers/coaches.

They got tougher! And that's all that counts in basketball
Maigh Eo for Sam

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:58:16 PM »

To give credit where credit is due, Otule, Crowder, Butler, and Junior all were much improved by the tome they left vs when they started
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:00:31 PM »
To give credit where credit is due, Otule, Crowder, Butler, and Junior all were much improved by the tome they left vs when they started
Otule was physically improved, but I am not sure his game improved that much.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:11:22 PM »

+1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 08:18:25 PM »
Vander improved quite a bit from year one to year three.  Let's not pretend otherwise.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 08:18:38 PM »
I'll be thrilled if Derrick can hit just 60-65% of his FT's as any self respecting PG should be able to in his sleep.   That is just beyond astounding that he's never in a season hit even 50% of his FT's!  Words can't describe how embarrassingly bad that truly is for anyone, especially a guard.

Derrick and his playing time, role, have all been discussed to death on this board, so I won't go further than those head shaking stats.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:21:37 PM by HutchwasClutch »

brandx

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 08:25:24 PM »
Vander improved quite a bit from year one to year three.  Let's not pretend otherwise.

Agreed.

My point though was that the form on his jumper looked just as bad by his junior year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 08:29:22 PM »

With the injuries and the blindness in one eye, CO reached his ceiling.   Playing a game like basketball with such rapid movement with impaired depth perception is damn near impossible.   What a great guy, role model, warrior.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 08:33:03 PM »
Based only on his blog from this summer, Derrick is a solid representative for MU.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 08:36:01 PM »
Because we don't already have enough threads on this topic, so why not make 1 more?

Well, it is from Derrick's blog, so it gets a pass...so far...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 10:00:39 PM »
Based only on his blog from this summer, Derrick is a solid representative for MU.

+1

Well, it is from Derrick's blog, so it gets a pass...so far...

Good call. Was more tongue in cheek.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 10:25:46 PM »

Totally agree. Also, didn't Paint Touches share some stats that he was the best at taking one dribble and shooting his junior year? His shot may not have been text book, but his shooting was much better as a junior. Also, he finished much better around the basket his junior year.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 11:01:24 PM »
Well see if it even matters, honestly id rather see DU WILL out there as he is a much better shooter.  8-)

raul

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »
Derrick is just saying thanks to MU and the community and hopes he can prove himself worthy of playing for MU on the court this year. That is a classy act, lets not bash him for that. Of course if he is not the best option for the team this year then give the next guy a chance to prove himself. Which may very well be the other D.Wilson.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 01:16:52 AM »
Agreed.

My point though was that the form on his jumper looked just as bad by his junior year.

Agreed, but there are Hall of Famers who made a lot of long jumpers despite pretty bad shooting form. Jamaal Wilkes and George Gervin leap to mind.

And don't even get me started about Jim Furyk's golf swing!

Sometimes, coaches will totally retool an athlete's fundamentals. But sometimes a coach will only tweak the form - in Vander's case, they didn't feel they could totally change his shot but they did make sure he went straight up to shoot and landed in the same spot, etc. - so as not to mess up a guy's mind too much.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 09:09:59 AM »
+1

Dead wrong otules hook shot n pivot moves were non existant when he arrived

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 11:30:15 AM »
The hook shot itself hadn't existed before he arrived

FTFY

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 12:07:59 PM »
It would be amazing to see what our boys could do if their fans put in as much energy supporting them unwaveringly as they do tearing them down.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 12:23:35 PM »
It would be amazing to see what our boys could do if their fans put in as much energy supporting them unwaveringly as they do tearing them down.

I bet they could do the same things, regardless of whether MUScoop is praising or criticizing them.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 12:40:13 PM »
I bet they could do the same things, regardless of whether MUScoop is praising or criticizing them.

I don't just mean on Scoop.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 12:40:31 PM »
I watched Derrick intently during warm-ups several times last season.

He makes a ton of free throws, and his stroke looks good. I don't know if it's just confidence, fatigue, mental, etc.

Pumping up a bunch of shots in the summer is step 1.

Step 2 will be confidently and aggressively taking shots in practices and scrimmages. He looked pretty strong with the ball last season in the Halloween scrimmage, but obviously that didn't translate to long-term success during the season.

Step 3 is obviously making shots in actual games. It will be interesting to watch how hard the coaches push him in this capacity. If he has shown the ability in practice, they might push him to shoot early and often so he can build some confidence during actual games, (especially cupcake games).

I really like him as a player and as a person, so I'm hoping he has a great senior season.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 12:54:04 PM »
Are you happy Ners?

On Point: Derrick Wilson Blog Entry No. 8

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/080614aaa.html

I've gotten up over 20,000 shots, have had multiple workout sessions enhancing my skills and also have started to eat healthier, which has resulted in me dropping a few pounds and making my body feel better. So I'm really excited to translate my offseason work on to the court.[/b]

What I said on April 1 in an open message to Coach Wojo:

You'll hear our point guard can't hit the urinal in the men's room, much less a basket with a basketball. He's likely better than he showed last year. But do us and him a favor! Have him him take 1,000 jumpers a day until October 15th and he can't come in until he hits 50 in a row.

Myabe it's obvious. Or perhaps, just possibly, Coach Wojo reads Scoop!

feedback