Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: You think the Dukies did this on purpose?  (Read 5844 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
You think the Dukies did this on purpose?
« on: August 13, 2014, 04:26:01 PM »
You think the Dukies did this on purpose to give Brent a little dig?

Buzz Williamson On Virginia Tech's Challenging Season

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2014/8/13/5997695/buzz-williamson-on-virginia-techs-challenging-season

We won't be at all shocked if the Hokies exceed expectations, but realistically, it's likely to be a long season.

Buzz Williams took the Virginia Tech job for a number of reasons, among them that he felt he did as much as he could at Marquette and he felt that the new basketball-centric Big East was on the outside looking in under the emerging new look of Division 1 with autonomy.

Well he's in the saddle for Tech now, and while he no doubt feels sure he can succeed there, it may take awhile.

Williams had a summer presser where he discussed what he has to work with - not that much, relatively speaking - and what he thinks his options might be (he's not entirely sure).

Still, we've seen enough of Joey van Zegeren to realize he could become a reasonably good big man when he beefs up. The rest?

We'll have to wait and see.

Last year Tech had Ben Emoglu, a promising point guard, Trevor Thompson, a still-slim center who wound up at Ohio State, Maurice Kirby and 6 -8 Marshall Wood, who could have been useful.

This year, they'll be shorter, less talented and not very deep.

Williams is an interesting and resourceful coach and we have no doubt that he'll do better than most could in his situation. But that might mean merely being competitive as opposed to winning.

MattyWarrior

• All American
Re: You think the Dukies did this on purpose?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 04:40:21 PM »
Buzz Williamson or whoever is running the show there will be quickly forgotten once the real season begins.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:22:47 PM »
Here's my "it was an honest mistake" guess: It was an editing issue. Person who typed it in accidentally left out a space between "Williams" and "on" typing "Williamson". Editor noticed that it read "Williamson Virginia Tech's" and realized there was an "on" missing, and so added it (not knowing the correct name of VT's coach), ending up with "Williamson on Virginia Tech's".

Editing errors abound in our world, and it's probably best to assume best intentions rather than look for "digs".

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:41:30 PM »
Here's my "it was an honest mistake" guess: It was an editing issue. Person who typed it in accidentally left out a space between "Williams" and "on" typing "Williamson".

No, you're wrong. They're f ucking with Bert.

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:38:17 PM »

+1

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 07:46:47 PM »
I have some difficulty seeing an intended dig.

"We won't be at all shocked if the Hokies exceed expectations...", and

"Williams is an interesting and resourceful coach and we have no doubt that he'll do better than most could in his situation. But that might mean merely being competitive as opposed to winning.";

seem to be cutting him slack in advance, if not actually blowing him kisses.

The technical term, I believe, for taking your feelings about an individual and attributing them to someone else is projection.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 08:05:25 PM »
Nevermind. You're right. Thanks for reading my post.

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 09:42:17 PM »
Here's my "it was an honest mistake" guess: It was an editing issue. Person who typed it in accidentally left out a space between "Williams" and "on" typing "Williamson". Editor noticed that it read "Williamson Virginia Tech's" and realized there was an "on" missing, and so added it (not knowing the correct name of VT's coach), ending up with "Williamson on Virginia Tech's".

Editing errors abound in our world, and it's probably best to assume best intentions rather than look for "digs".

I'm not so sure the SB nation dukes basketball blog would have an editor. My most likely case is, he just typed on twice while zoning out.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 02:59:37 AM »
I like the comment that he is not entirely sure what he will do. Sounds like last season at MU. Good luck to the castrated turkeys.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:32:43 AM »
I am quickly moving from hating to Duke, to not minding them, to mildly liking them.

Its sort of scaring me.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 09:54:39 AM »
I am quickly moving from hating to Duke, to not minding them, to mildly liking them.

Its sort of scaring me.

I still hate them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »

Its sort of scaring me.

I'm in the same boat
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.