[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 161847 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2014, 04:15:49 PM »
Benny's first rule of cooking meat:  If someone else can do it significantly better than me, I want to know how and/or why because I know that I can do it a hell of a lot cheaper than them.

Costco (and Sam's) has been a Godsend to cheapskate amateur BBQ gastronomes such as myself.  It all starts with the best cut of meat you can buy at the right price, which means specialty butcher shops are usually off the list (with some exceptions), and I don't trust the meat counter at any grocery store, even Mariano's or Sunset.  Then come the trials and errors of trial and error (little known secret... Saturday afternoon PBS programming can be a tremendous resource for the aspiring home-gourmet who wants to cut down on errors).

yes sir-and thanks for the rub extras.  walmart pork shoulders(tyson) @ $1.69/lb.  and a good rub haven't disappointed
oh, and a good hosing with my carolina kiss while i pull it apart.  they say to use it as a mop, but i hate opening the door once i get it rolling-anyone have any variations for the kiss?  i've added a few of benny's rub ingredients , but the main thing i like is the vinegar/sugar base with hot sauce and crushed peppers

http://www.mastercook.com/app/Recipe/WebRecipeDetails?recipeId=318708
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »
for the money-master-built electric. have the $250 one.  does everything i need- set the temp and time, side wood loader...life is good.  the egg?  i'll have to check that one out-thanks, but not until this one blows out

That what Santa  brought me. Elite model, 30 inch with the digital controls. No window.

Still like yours?  Gonna load mine with 25 pounds of pig and cow tomorrow.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2014, 07:59:37 PM »
That what Santa  brought me. Elite model, 30 inch with the digital controls. No window.

Damn! What time should i be there?

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2014, 10:17:20 PM »
Damn! What time should i be there?

Dinner at 6. Nap at 6:45. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2014, 12:20:54 AM »
We're finally going to get a sunny, sub-20degF day here south of the border on Sunday, which can mean only one thing.... cold smoked salmon.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2014, 12:42:33 PM »

love it.  this one is on it's 3rd year w/o a problem and has seen a lot of hog and salmon.  has anyone ever done cheese?  they say cooler days are best, but i'm concerned the wood chips won't burn at 90 degrees.  i've also read that you can get a side-winder-a separate chip burner to feed the smoke thru the chip chute.  i was hoping i didn't have to mess around too much

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2014, 03:18:20 PM »
Thanks Sturgeon. 

How long can you go before adding more chips?

Picked up 14 pounds of flat cut brisket, six pounds of ribs, and three pounds of Italians.  Changed it up and going to do it tomorrow for the packer game.

With both boys home from college, this stuff will last about a day.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2015, 02:47:23 PM »
smoked stuffed(bacon and mushroom) cheeseburgers and smoked mac and(yes we are in wisconsin) cheese going on right now.  got a wireless thermometer for us lazy folk to keep an eye on the prize while inside

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »
Need pics

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2015, 06:04:25 PM »
smack my lips-first reactions from the kids-big thumbs up!!  i can see trying many variations to each, but more than worthy of doing it again.  also, pretty simple

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2015, 08:21:43 AM »
smoked stuffed(bacon and mushroom) cheeseburgers and smoked mac and(yes we are in wisconsin) cheese going on right now.  got a wireless thermometer for us lazy folk to keep an eye on the prize while inside

What temp were you running?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2015, 09:10:37 AM »
the smoked mac called for a temp. of 225 and the burgers called for a temp of 275, so b/c i was smoking them together, i set it at 250-turned out great.  you can find both recipes and more on masterbuilt's web site-dadgum up!

http://recipes.masterbuilt.com/

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2015, 07:34:18 PM »
Have you tried the prime rib recipe?  Looks great.

Here's a link for a really good carolina BBQ sauce recipe.  Absolutely fantastic.

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesaucerecipes/r/blb00114.htm

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2015, 06:37:28 PM »
we make prime rib quite often the traditional way and i will not order it when out to eat b/c the restaurants just can't do it as well as i'm used to at home.  i smoked one some time ago and now that you mention it, i just might have to throw one on during the packer game-post game celebration meal??  the carolina sauce you suggested looks like it's right in my wheel house-thanks.  have some jerky marinating in the fridge-i usually do 5 lbs. in the smoker and another 5lbs. in the dehydrator for a little variety-also good for nervous chewing during the game.  my son will probably take a couple lbs. with him up to the packer game-his boss gave him the wells fargo indoor club seats. thanks for the suggestions!   

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2015, 07:57:03 PM »
Agree on prime rib.  Never had a great one in a restaurant.  Make a killer one on the Farberware indoor rotisserie at home.  To die for.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2015, 03:06:38 PM »
Nice day yesterday outside.  Threw a five pound bone-in (que up 'Never) prime rib in the smoker.

Rub was garlic, Lawry's, and black pepper.  Started the roast in a 500 degree oven 15 minutes to brown the seasoning on the outside.  

Smoker was at 225.  Used apple wood.  Smoked till internal temp was 145. Let it rest for 45 minutes.  Carved it up for sandwiches with provolone and hot giardiniera during the UK game. Just wonderful.

Total cook time, 3.5 hours.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:05:54 PM by real chili 83 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »
I hear ya, kin. Always up for the old woody, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2015, 09:49:33 PM »
Nice day yesterday outside.  Threw a five pound bone-in (que up 'Never) prime rib in the smoker.

Rub was garlic, Lawry's, and black pepper.  Started the roast in a 500 degree oven 15 minutes to brown the seasoning on the outside.  

Smoker was at 225.  Used apple wood.  Smoked till internal temp was 145. Let it rest for 45 minutes.  Carved it up for sandwiches with provolone and hot giardiniera during the UK game. Just wonderful.

The Mystical Union of Man, Meat, and Fire

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2015, 08:21:01 AM »
Got two Fraboni porkettas.  Nice and slow, 180 degrees, all afternoon.

Mix of apple and hickory.

Dinner is at 6.

http://frabonisdeli.com/porketta-roast

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2015, 09:19:47 AM »

Made this beauty yesterday... No smoker yet, but that is the next step.  It was amazing.  12 pounds of delicious.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2015, 09:37:52 AM »
Are you holding the fork by the business end, Hards?  If so, well done... and get your sorry a$$ a smoker, will ya?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2015, 05:36:11 PM »
Are you holding the fork by the business end, Hards?  If so, well done... and get your sorry a$$ a smoker, will ya?

Its not me slicing!

And I'm working on it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2015, 07:42:08 PM »

just saw this today-obviously.  wow-that sounds friggin delish!  good to know how you did it as i hate to experiment with a good piece of meat hey.  the sandwiches sound incredible-thanks!  i just switched the menu for saturday from baby backs to prime.  my wife(Sicilian) makes her own giardiniera a couple times a year-can't wait

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2015, 08:48:45 PM »
 "i hate to experiment with a good piece of meat"

Always better to know what you're doin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2015, 08:56:23 PM »
Let the prime get to room temp first.  Then get the oven as frigging hot as possible.

My favorite way for prime is on a Farberware indoor rotisserie. Use the same spice mix.  Keeping adding garlic as the meat starts to drip. It forms a wonderful cooked crust of seasoning, mostly of garlic. Cook till 135, remove and tent under foil. Allow to rest.  Remove skewer after rested.

For those who like their meat over cooked, slice off portions and finish in a pan of Johnnys  French dip au jus.  Heathens.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:58:41 PM by real chili 83 »

feedback