[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 161844 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2014, 04:03:35 PM »
Speakin' of rubs, are their any new nudies of Kate Upton or Jennifer Lawrence out there?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »
Speakin' of rubs, are their any new nudies of Kate Upton or Jennifer Lawrence out there?

Heard ZFB had to buy a new laptop after the Fappening.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »
Usually go with the standard, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chili, and brown sugar concoction, primarily on pork.  Any other ideas to switch up?

Yes.  All of the below.  There's no kill like overkill when it comes to rubbing something that's already been killed.

Mine is basically that, with smoked paprika, and a little bit of coriander and dry mustard.

Definitely a little thyme and a little onion powder.  Sometimes a little jalapeno seasoning and also some cayenne. 

I have judged over 25 KCBS BBQ contests and one "secret" ingredient I got out of a top team is that they put a little Old Bay Seasoning in the rub for their ribs.  Very subtle but it works.

For 20 Lbs. of pork shoulder:

1Cup Salt
1Cup Black Pepper
1Cup Chili Powder
1Cup Cumin
1Cup Sugar
1Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Cayenne
2Cups Paprika

I make a double batch and use the rest for ribs. 

There are two things in every rub I've ever concocted: salt and paprika.  The salt is essential to draw out the moisture which allows for the rest of rub to meld and distribute the flavors into the flesh.  Paprika because I once bought a hug container of it, so I started putting it in everything and eventually got hooked on it.

Brown sugar, coriander and cumin are oft-go-to ingredients.  I also grind dried morita peppers I buy at the produce market locally (basically a chipotle pepper) to use in rubs.  Since cloves have spiked in price (and crashed in quality) over the past few years, I've started using whole allspice (ground, of course) with amazing results, especially when doing a jerk-style rub*.  I'll dry fresh basil and use it on anything except beef that I'm not planning on serving with a table sauce.  I have used fennel and celery seed on occasion with picnic.  You'd be surprised at how the tiniest amount of cinnamon or cocoa powder can add complexity to a rub.

*You heard me.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
Got a jerk rub recipe?

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2014, 04:33:20 PM »
I've started using whole allspice (ground, of course) with amazing results, especially when doing a jerk-style rub*.  I'll dry fresh basil and use it on anything except beef that I'm not planning on serving with a table sauce.  I have used fennel and celery seed on occasion with picnic.  You'd be surprised at how the tiniest amount of cinnamon or cocoa powder can add complexity to a rub.

*You heard me.

Paprika always.  Allspice is great for jerk.  In Jamaica star anise is a popular companion for allspice along with nutmeg.  I also agree with the cinnamon, have tasted it many times in competitions.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2014, 04:39:03 PM »
Paprika always.  Allspice is great for jerk.  In Jamaica star anise is a popular companion for allspice along with nutmeg.  I also agree with the cinnamon, have tasted it many times in competitions.

try to get some pimento wood for smoking jerk style

I've have no experience with this website, just an example: http://www.pimentowood.com/Pimento_Wood/Pimento_Wood.html

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »
Got a jerk rub recipe?

With or without the cumin?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2014, 09:59:24 PM »
try to get some pimento wood for smoking jerk style

I've have no experience with this website, just an example: http://www.pimentowood.com/Pimento_Wood/Pimento_Wood.html

Smalley's Carribean BBQ in Stillwater uses pimento wood.  Their food is fantastic. Been featured on DDD.

In addition to great smoked meats, they make a 666 wing sauce.  It's effin hot.  The menu says "don't be that guy..."

They also have a killer Mac n cheese.  Its home made, with bacon and bits of chilies and jalapeƱo.   Nummy

http://smalleyscaribbeanbbq.com/our-menus/

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2014, 10:26:54 PM »
u can not go wrong with a green egg.  the only downfall is u don't have alot of cooking surface.  It is capable of winning BBQ contests at the highest level but u can't smoke a whole wog in it!  If u r looking for something larger u should consider a Backwoods Smoker

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2014, 10:33:42 PM »
Sunday's game time brisket has been rubbed and injected.

Now, gently resting, slowly absorbing a mix of pepper, garlic, salt, and cayenne.

Pics on Sunday. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2014, 08:39:09 PM »
Looking forward to trying it... what can I bring? I've got about 160 full sized candy bars sitting here, but not sure Snickers pairs well w brisket
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2014, 06:02:09 PM »
Sunday football brisket n ribs

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2014, 11:07:54 AM »
Santa delivered.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »
Santa delivered.

Casa Chili now has a Green Egg capability?

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2014, 01:17:36 PM »
Casa Chili now has a Green Egg capability?

No egg.  Guy still has to have a dream....

'Lectric. Gonna do a couple of briskets and a couple o slabs of pig on Saturday. Nothin Like carnivore overkill. 

With both of the boys home for the holidays, something tells me the chow will last about a day.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2014, 01:26:26 PM »

'Lectric. Gonna do a couple of briskets and a couple o slabs of pig on Saturday. Nothin Like carnivore overkill. 

With both of the boys home for the holidays, something tells me the chow will last about a day.

I have been meaning to point something out...In your avatar photo you are holding a nice looking fish but your arms are bent. A real fisherman would understand perspective and have that fish hanging off of fully extended arms to magnify its magnificence.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2014, 01:36:51 PM »
That's a fish? Thought it was his Johnson, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2014, 01:50:10 PM »
Some of us don't need photo "enhancements".

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2014, 02:06:50 PM »
Some of us don't need photo "enhancements".

Oh, hell, sorry. I thought you were that Naval Aviator

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2014, 05:23:42 PM »

Warriorchick's first rule of cooking meat:  Don't bother if someone else can do it significantly better.

There is an amazing carryout barbecue place near us. Why would I spend hundreds of dollars on a smoker and spend most of a day tending it when I can have someone who knows what they are doing make it for me?

Same thing goes for good steaks and crustaceans.  I'd rather go to a good steak or seafood place where the people cook this stuff dozens of times a day.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2014, 05:29:32 PM »
That's a fish? Thought it was his Johnson, hey?

Are you more or less turned on now knowing it's a fish?

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2014, 05:32:27 PM »
Warriorchick's first rule of cooking meat:  Don't bother if someone else can do it significantly better.

There is an amazing carryout barbecue place near us. Why would I spend hundreds of dollars on a smoker and spend most of a day tending it when I can have someone who knows what they are doing make it for me?

Same thing goes for good steaks and crustaceans.  I'd rather go to a good steak or seafood place where the people cook this stuff dozens of times a day.

Living large, eh?

This scooper makes great BBQ, a couple of killer shrimp recipes, and an awesome steak.  My ravioli is unquestioned.

My prime rib on the rotisserie right now is....succulent.

Chicks, eh?
Any questions?

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »
It's a curse to make great barbecue - can't go out for bbq cause no makes it is a good as you ...

I give some exception to BBQ's in the Austin area (Salt Lick, County Line and host of others...

Same goes for steaks - why pay $45 (plus apps, sides, wine and desert) for something so easy to make so delicious for $15...

Seafood - I go out for...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2014, 01:01:31 PM »

Benny's first rule of cooking meat:  If someone else can do it significantly better than me, I want to know how and/or why because I know that I can do it a hell of a lot cheaper than them.

Costco (and Sam's) has been a Godsend to cheapskate amateur BBQ gastronomes such as myself.  It all starts with the best cut of meat you can buy at the right price, which means specialty butcher shops are usually off the list (with some exceptions), and I don't trust the meat counter at any grocery store, even Mariano's or Sunset.  Then come the trials and errors of trial and error (little known secret... Saturday afternoon PBS programming can be a tremendous resource for the aspiring home-gourmet who wants to cut down on errors).

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2014, 02:21:51 PM »
Benny's first rule of cooking meat:  If someone else can do it significantly better than me, I want to know how and/or why because I know that I can do it a hell of a lot cheaper than them.

Costco (and Sam's) has been a Godsend to cheapskate amateur BBQ gastronomes such as myself.  It all starts with the best cut of meat you can buy at the right price, which means specialty butcher shops are usually off the list (with some exceptions), and I don't trust the meat counter at any grocery store, even Mariano's or Sunset.  Then come the trials and errors of trial and error (little known secret... Saturday afternoon PBS programming can be a tremendous resource for the aspiring home-gourmet who wants to cut down on errors).

I agree.  Sam's has great prices on brisket and on ribs.