[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 161851 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »
This was published locally in June, but the equipment discussed including the Green Egg has to be available everywhere.

Myron Mixon Discusses Barbecue and Great Grilling
http://www.connecticutmag.com/Connecticut-Magazine/June-2014/Myron-Mixon-Discusses-Barbecue-and-Great-Grilling/

Well, there you have it. When a Myron Mixon weighs in on BBQ it behooves a man to take notice. According to the popular Portly Prince of Pork there is no better charcoal-fueled heat delivery system than the Egg. I believe that settles matters rather nicely.

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 11:07:50 AM »
Holy crap I thought a full size Weber charcoal grill was expensive until I looked at the XL Green Egg at ACE Hardware Saturday!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 07:13:59 AM »
Usually smoke pork butts for big gatherings, and have had success using my standard weber, a bit of lump charcoal, and some good hickory.  I use the Cooks Illustrated method, of spice rub the night before, bring to room temp, indirect heat with pan of apple juice underneath, fat side up, pretty heavy smoke for 4 hours, starting it hot around 325-350* for first 2 hours, then bring down to around 250-275 for last 2.  Wrap tight in the foil, finish in the oven in Pyrex with water and apple juice (usually another 2-3 hours) until you can pull the bone right out, place the pan and pork in a grocery bag, staple it shut for an hour.  Eat.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 09:08:23 AM »
Usually smoke pork butts for big gatherings, and have had success using my standard weber, a bit of lump charcoal, and some good hickory.  I use the Cooks Illustrated method, of spice rub the night before, bring to room temp, indirect heat with pan of apple juice underneath, fat side up, pretty heavy smoke for 4 hours, starting it hot around 325-350* for first 2 hours, then bring down to around 250-275 for last 2.  Wrap tight in the foil, finish in the oven in Pyrex with water and apple juice (usually another 2-3 hours) until you can pull the bone right out, place the pan and pork in a grocery bag, staple it shut for an hour.  Eat.

Cooks Illustrated is awesome (I refer to it as "Cooking for Engineers").  A shortcut to BBQ is typically a crucifixion-worthy crime, but CI actually has one that works pretty damn well for those without time or fancy equipment.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 12:33:07 AM »

Masala

Curry, Masala, or Vindaloo?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 03:48:03 PM »
Made a brisket today.  Started it yesterday.  New rub too.

Nailed it. Just nailed it. 

Damned good. 

Life is good.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 07:25:48 PM »
Made a brisket today.  Started it yesterday.  New rub too.

Nailed it. Just nailed it. 

Damned good. 

Life is good.

Pics or BAN!
SS Marquette

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 07:43:38 PM »
Pics or BAN!

Next time. It was a work of art.

Used Salt Lick BBQ rub.  It has a nice, black pepper taste to it.  Also injected it with a chipotle lime maridade.  The brisket had a great bark to it.

Three of us, plus a six year old finished off the greater part of a 6+ pounder during the second half yesterday.   Granted, I trimmed off close to a pound of excess fat before cooking.  It was just that good.

I also made up 6 lbs of my home mead Real Chili recipe for my son to take back to school. He didn't get all six pounds. 

JayBee, you missed out.  ;D

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 08:02:43 PM »
Next time. It was a work of art.

Used Salt Lick BBQ rub.  It has a nice, black pepper taste to it.  Also injected it with a chipotle lime maridade.  The brisket had a great bark to it.

Three of us, plus a six year old finished off the greater part of a 6+ pounder during the second half yesterday.   Granted, I trimmed off close to a pound of excess fat before cooking.  It was just that good.

I also made up 6 lbs of my home mead Real Chili recipe for my son to take back to school. He didn't get all six pounds. 

JayBee, you missed out.  ;D

Crap! You didn't tell me you were cooking brisket too!!

(PS - any suggestions on a company to use? -- might need someone to get these damn bees away from my house. It's like a plague over here.)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 08:05:32 PM »
Nada on the bees.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »
really hated "Salt Lick BBQ" rub - way too much pepper - at least on ribs....

This guy has incredible rubs and sauces  - I can't find anything I like better, always go back to:    http://www.loveyourbbq.com/

Met the guy at the Abbey in Lake Geneva where he hosts BBQ's on Sundays...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 08:35:19 PM »
really hated "Salt Lick BBQ" rub - way too much pepper - at least on ribs....

This guy has incredible rubs and sauces  - I can't find anything I like better, always go back to:    http://www.loveyourbbq.com/

Met the guy at the Abbey in Lake Geneva where he hosts BBQ's on Sundays...

Yes, good pepper flavor.  Might be too much on ribs.

Just learning about rubs.  Will need to try your brand.  Any other suggestion?

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 09:30:50 AM »
I have tried a ton of different rubs - always go back to Whitefords (I buy it by the case now).    Also, I really like his sauces but there are so many good sauces so I change it up all the time.   I use Whiteford's rub on all my Ribs, Pork Shoulders/Pulled Pork and Chicken.  Anytime I change, my wife instantly can taste the difference and complains.
For salmon, I make an Indiana Marsala rub that is awesome in the smoker.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2014, 09:52:22 AM »
Yes, good pepper flavor.  Might be too much on ribs.

Just learning about rubs.  Will need to try your brand.  Any other suggestion?
Make your own...only way to go.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2014, 09:58:09 AM »
Make your own...only way to go.

Exactly.  If you're going to invest in a good smoker, invest in few mason jars and some fresh spices.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2014, 11:35:56 AM »
Exactly.  If you're going to invest in a good smoker, invest in few mason jars and some fresh spices.

Usually go with the standard, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chili, and brown sugar concoction, primarily on pork.  Any other ideas to switch up?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2014, 12:07:54 PM »
Usually go with the standard, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chili, and brown sugar concoction, primarily on pork.  Any other ideas to switch up?

Mine is basically that, with smoked paprika, and a little bit of coriander and dry mustard.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 01:06:16 PM »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 01:07:12 PM »
Well, there you have it. When a Myron Mixon weighs in on BBQ it behooves a man to take notice. According to the popular Portly Prince of Pork there is no better charcoal-fueled heat delivery system than the Egg. I believe that settles matters rather nicely.

Myron never commented on the Egg.  It was the salesman.

One charcoal grill, popular at Fireside Supply, Inc. and elsewhere, is The Big Green Egg (left). Tarquinio says the grill has a kind of “cult following.”

“The Big Green Egg is the best charcoal grill out there,” he says. The unique dome shape circulates the hot air around the food, the inverse of a rotisserie oven, which rotates food.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »
Thyme is an essential ingredient for me.

sometimes dry mustard, sometimes cumin.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 01:38:33 PM »
Thyme is an essential ingredient for me.

sometimes dry mustard, sometimes cumin.

Definitely a little thyme and a little onion powder.  Sometimes a little jalapeno seasoning and also some cayenne. 

I have judged over 25 KCBS BBQ contests and one "secret" ingredient I got out of a top team is that they put a little Old Bay Seasoning in the rub for their ribs.  Very subtle but it works.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
I feel like quite the novice when it comes to rubs compared to some of my fellow Scoopers!.

Thanks for sharing all of the ideas for rubs!

Man, Keefe must be on double secret probation....or couldn't pass up the chance to bomb Syria for him to not chime in on this thread.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:17:35 PM by real ellenson chili 83 »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 01:50:45 PM »
For 20 Lbs. of pork shoulder:

1Cup Salt
1Cup Black Pepper
1Cup Chili Powder
1Cup Cumin
1Cup Sugar
1Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Cayenne
2Cups Paprika

I make a double batch and use the rest for ribs. 
Ludum habemus.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 02:27:48 PM »
For 20 Lbs. of pork shoulder:

1Cup Salt
1Cup Black Pepper
1Cup Chili Powder
1Cup Cumin
1Cup Sugar
1Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Cayenne
2Cups Paprika

I make a double batch and use the rest for ribs. 

Looks solid.  Just reminder, less sugar is safer, make sure you don't over do it, as it can burn pretty easily.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2014, 03:52:44 PM »
It seems like this should have happened in Milwaukee?

Residents in the southwest Illinois city of Belleville celebrated its 200th birthday with a 200-foot bratwurst, complete with a 200-foot bun. (Sept. 22)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktfR7j0TaYk&feature=youtu.be&list=UU52X5wxOL_s5yw0dQk7NtgA