[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 163351 times)

vogue65

• All American
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #450 on: September 19, 2017, 03:32:59 PM »
Looks like the Marquette alumni base is going to set a record for the number of cases of gout and intestinal cancer.  Oh well, as long as our national rank keeps up our image, who cares.  In the old days the beer and smoking got us, now it's the smokers.

I have the definitive answer to the smoker question, none.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #451 on: September 19, 2017, 04:38:40 PM »
Looks like the Marquette alumni base is going to set a record for the number of cases of gout and intestinal cancer.  Oh well, as long as our national rank keeps up our image, who cares.  In the old days the beer and smoking got us, now it's the smokers.

I have the definitive answer to the smoker question, none.

Show me a lion raised on tofu and I'll go vegetarian on the spot.  Otherwise, it would be appreciated and respectful of you to keep your inner-militant-vegan in check.  Nobody lives forever, so we all might as well die doing what we love. 

Of course, the potential conundrum here would be if you love telling other people what to do and throwing shade if they don't... in which case, well played.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #452 on: September 19, 2017, 06:23:13 PM »
I went out to lunch today for a biz meeting and had a grilled cheese, brisket, and grilled onion sammich. Outstanding.   Good chow at The Howe on M'haha.

Wouldn't eat these everyday. Moderation, eh?

Go smoked meats!!!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #453 on: September 30, 2017, 09:27:38 PM »
question for you beef brisket afficionados-

ok, got a beautiful 8 lb'er from sendiks-rubbed her with just basic garlic salt, cracked pepper and cayenne.  filled the pan with water and minced garlic (I do like garlic A LOT).   set the electric masterbuilt to 230, filled the wood chip well with applewood(that was all i had).  3 1/2 hours later, the inner temperature was 205!!  i mean, i was expecting this bad boy to gradually come up to 160-170, pull 'er off and wrap it in tin foil and put it back in for a few hours.

anyway, i wrapped it in tin foil and towels and let it sit out for 3 more hours, then wrapped it well and it's in the fridge waiting for my fresh toasted pretzel rolls, provolone and a smidgen of dijon-that's just the first one

oh yeah, the question-what the hell?  most everything i read says 60-90 minutes per pound to reach 165, then expect to finish her off wrapped in 10-12 hours at 300
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #454 on: October 01, 2017, 07:21:05 AM »
Might be an issue with your thermometer.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #455 on: October 01, 2017, 09:44:31 AM »
Might be an issue with your thermometer.

thanks, but i thought about that as well.  used 3 different thermometers.  all the same.  the meat was definitely done-it was all jiggly and soft/tender as hell.  almost fell apart removing it from the grate.  as i said, it was a great cut of meat from sendiks.  paid a little more than i have in the past.  costco~$3.69-4.00 but more to trim off .  this one, i didn't bother doing any trimming as it looked great!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #456 on: October 01, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »
thanks, but i thought about that as well.  used 3 different thermometers.  all the same.  the meat was definitely done-it was all jiggly and soft/tender as hell.  almost fell apart removing it from the grate.  as i said, it was a great cut of meat from sendiks.  paid a little more than i have in the past.  costco~$3.69-4.00 but more to trim off .  this one, i didn't bother doing any trimming as it looked great!

Something off with your temperature gauge on ur Masterbuilt?  Maybe it was running closer to 300-325

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #457 on: October 01, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »
Something off with your temperature gauge on ur Masterbuilt?  Maybe it was running closer to 300-325

it only reaches 275 unless that has gone haywire.  i did notice the digital reading(cook time/temp) is getting to the point where a few lights are out so it's hard to make out the actual numbers.  this baby is 9-10 years old so it might not be a bad time to go shopping-good point though-thanks.  i do have a master chef wireless thermometer that has a probe for monitoring temperatures inside the smoker.  i'll probably run it just to see what readings that gives me

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #458 on: October 01, 2017, 06:31:33 PM »
anyway-this just in-i know, ya'll saying, what took ya so long to eat some of that brisket-well i was out golfing all day and just got home-
    that was one of the BEST briskets i've ever made!  seriously!  i never would have given anyone that advice on how i cooked it, or recommended(now ya gotta wonder) it but i'm going back to sendiks to get some more of that!!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #459 on: October 03, 2017, 09:24:56 PM »
Been curing pork belly for almost a week.  Going on the smoker tomorrow @150 for 2-3 hours.

2 pounds go LOW tomorrow and the rest is for Vikes v Packers when JB, SPW, and a few other unsavory sorts show up in the man cave.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #460 on: October 03, 2017, 11:34:18 PM »
Been curing pork belly for almost a week.  Going on the smoker tomorrow @150 for 2-3 hours.

2 pounds go LOW tomorrow and the rest is for Vikes v Packers when JB, SPW, and a few other unsavory sorts show up in the man cave.

are you workin a masterbuilt yet?  which one?  as i said, i think it's time to go shopping

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #461 on: October 04, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »
are you workin a masterbuilt yet?  which one?  as i said, i think it's time to go shopping

https://masterbuilt.com/product/20078715-30-digital-electric-smoker-3/

Got it for $100 on clearance at Gander

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #462 on: October 04, 2017, 09:07:59 AM »
https://masterbuilt.com/product/20078715-30-digital-electric-smoker-3/

Got it for $100 on clearance at Gander
That is the exact model I have. You got it for about $25 less than I did.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #463 on: October 04, 2017, 09:09:10 AM »
Does a nice job. Smoking bacon right now at 140.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #464 on: October 04, 2017, 07:52:12 PM »
that's the one i have right now!  it served me well for 10 years or so.  i was surprised but when i provided them(masterbuilt) with a serial number to see if they still made the inner wood chip tray, it had 2007 within the number.  anyhow, suffice it to say, glad i didn't order the wood chip holder~$20-25 if i can buy a whole new smoker for around a c-note or so.  very happy with the masterbuilt!

you got it at a great price!   amazon-$168 +

reinko

• All American
« Reply #465 on: October 05, 2017, 11:26:01 AM »
that's the one i have right now!  it served me well for 10 years or so.  i was surprised but when i provided them(masterbuilt) with a serial number to see if they still made the inner wood chip tray, it had 2007 within the number.  anyhow, suffice it to say, glad i didn't order the wood chip holder~$20-25 if i can buy a whole new smoker for around a c-note or so.  very happy with the masterbuilt!

you got it at a great price!   amazon-$168 +

I got this little guy, and it's perfect for me.  I don't huge cooks very often, but for the fam it can fit a few racks a ribs, or full chicken or turkey, 12-14lb pork shoulder....

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20073716-Portable-Electric-Smoker/dp/B01FJVSX30

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #466 on: October 05, 2017, 11:44:51 AM »
I'm currently building bunkbeds for my girls and have a couple hundred board feet of rough sawn maple in my garage waiting to go through the planer and router.  My smoker is old-school, and I have no use for a few cubic yards of maple sawdust.  But if someone can use it, send me a PM; otherwise, it's going in the compost pile.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #467 on: October 05, 2017, 12:00:57 PM »
My Weber gas grill will be curbside once the snow starts falling and needs replacement. What should I be looking for?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #468 on: October 05, 2017, 12:01:53 PM »
My Weber gas grill will be curbside once the snow starts falling and needs replacement. What should I be looking for?

A spouse who doesn't throw grills away.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #469 on: October 05, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »
A spouse who doesn't throw grills away.

It's a rusty mess, it's time. I budgeted to repair, and we're talking a couple hundred. Might as well get something bigger and new.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #470 on: October 05, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »

I know that this probably isn't what you had in mind, but when I went through the same process a couple years go, I went  old-school.  I haven't regretted the decision.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #471 on: October 05, 2017, 01:19:54 PM »
It's a rusty mess, it's time. I budgeted to repair, and we're talking a couple hundred. Might as well get something bigger and new.

Weber Genesys II is what I have for propane.

Its a beautiful grill.  Stainless steel grates, ceramic top... the only thing I'd change is the plastic on the edges.  For what I paid for it, there shouldn't be a speck of plastic on the thing.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #472 on: October 05, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »
Weber Genesys II is what I have for propane.

Its a beautiful grill.  Stainless steel grates, ceramic top... the only thing I'd change is the plastic on the edges.  For what I paid for it, there shouldn't be a speck of plastic on the thing.

I picked up a Napoleon Prestige Pro 500 because I didn't want to deal with Webers cheap building materials. All stainless steel build, stainless steel grates, infrared side burner (gets over 1000 for searing). Love the grill. It's all north american made too (Canadian Company).

https://www.napoleongrills.com/grills/product-details/productid/317/ccd/en-ca/prestige-pro%E2%84%A2-500-with-infrared-rear-and-side-burners

But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #473 on: October 05, 2017, 02:17:48 PM »
I picked up a Napoleon Prestige Pro 500 because I didn't want to deal with Webers cheap building materials. All stainless steel build, stainless steel grates, infrared side burner (gets over 1000 for searing). Love the grill. It's all north american made too (Canadian Company).

https://www.napoleongrills.com/grills/product-details/productid/317/ccd/en-ca/prestige-pro%E2%84%A2-500-with-infrared-rear-and-side-burners

It was between these two to be honest.  I have never used the side burner in any grill I have ever owned so it wasn't a priority for me at all.  The Weber was picked up from the local hardware store fully assembled for the same price as amazon, so I jumped at it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #474 on: October 05, 2017, 02:27:54 PM »

How's that holding up? I'm liking the looks of those things.

feedback