'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]Marquette: Who will bring back the defensive mojo?  (Read 10362 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: [PaintTouches]Marquette: Who will bring back the defensive mojo?
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 09:54:28 AM »
In fairness, I didn't know if he was drunk. I just assumed because I knew him because he was always drunk and he was in frat. I know it happened outside Qdoba like Piper said. And I know frat boy was mouthing off to Vander. I don't know how the confrontation started. I was walking him from Real Chili in time to see the fireworks

Wrong again. He was not in a frat. For a guy who was calling people out on facts a little bit ago you are badly mistaken here.
Bring back FFP!!!

leever

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 10:43:23 AM »
So, the possibly drunk, non-frat boy, bouncer who was doing his job but got mouthy will not be bringing the defensive mojo back this year?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 11:13:31 AM »
Which is across the street from Murphy's. Vander did a "if you're so tough meet me over here" (qudoba parking lot) the bouncer followed and got what he deserved.

Ok come on I know where qdoba and Murphy's are in relation to eachother I spent five years three of which were going from Murphs to doba.  All I was pointing out that as an ex bouncer (brothers) it wouldn't have made any sense for a him to leave his post especially for a confrontation.  Also heard from less credible info that vander was hitting on the guys GF which is what set it al off.  Not as credible as the guys friend who told me where it happened. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 11:40:48 AM »
You might for a possession or two late in the game, though.

Definitely agree it can be a good strategy given time/score/time out situations of a game...toward the end to try to play some offense/defense.  The extent Buzz tried doing it last year mid-game was unlike anything I'd ever seen...way, way, way too micro-managed/overcoached - breaks any kind of rhythm a player needs to get into to perform at their best.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
Definitely agree it can be a good strategy given time/score/time out situations of a game...toward the end to try to play some offense/defense.  The extent Buzz tried doing it last year mid-game was unlike anything I'd ever seen...way, way, way too micro-managed/overcoached - breaks any kind of rhythm a player needs to get into to perform at their best.

Yeah, platooning doesn't work. That why football teams change personnel (both on offense and defense - already a platoon!) on virtually every play.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »
Yeah, platooning doesn't work. That why football teams change personnel (both on offense and defense - already a platoon!) on virtually every play.

Lenny - Come on.  Football and basketball are two totally different games. Such a comparison is invalid.  Have you ever seen a successful basketball coach sub as frantically as Buzz did last year in the middle of games?  Seriously?  I've never seen anything like it.  Recall both Derrick and Dawson had the "pleasure" of playing with 9, and 10 different guys respectively in a 3:30 stretch.  That is nuts.

Buzz was terrible last year.  Great his first 5.  Why he refused to try a different starting backcourt, we'll never know - he tried every other \ change and tinker under the sun except that one and none of them worked.  I'll never understand why a coach is willing to play 4 on 5 on the offensive end, with the "missing guy" his PG. 

I can guarantee you ALL of the guys on the team, other than Derrick and Jake, were totally annoyed with his coaching last year.  These are all guys who are used to getting max minutes in high school...and all of a sudden they are getting yanked in and out for 30 second to 1:30 stints.  Better off to just designate who the 3 guys are going to be at the end of the bench that don't get PT other than in a blow out.  Pick a core rotation of 8-9 guys where everyone knows their role and go with it.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 12:16:09 PM »

Baseball teams don't platoon, it must not be good.  Hockey teams on the other hand are always changing lines, I think it's a hell of a strategy.  It'd be interesting to see what Floyd Mayweather and Team Money could do with a platoon during a match.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »
Baseball teams don't platoon, it must not be good.  Hockey teams on the other hand are always changing lines, I think it's a hell of a strategy.  It'd be interesting to see what Floyd Mayweather and Team Money could do with a platoon during a match.

Are you saying switching boxers for different rounds based on style and need for points? or are you saying switch styles from Offensive to defensive?  Boxing is extremely rhythmic (we make great dancers) it's extremely hard in the lower weight classes to switch styles from defensive to offensive which is why you rarely see defensive fighters down on points actually come back to score a knockdown or knockout in the last two rounds.  Heavy weights though it's a different story.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 12:54:20 PM »
Though this whole talk of platooning does have me curious what you guys would think if basketball subbed like hockey & lacrosse do.  

I mean I think it'd suddenly be a very different game and probably recruiting style and make for a more physical faster game.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:08:06 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2014, 01:10:48 PM »

I can guarantee you ALL of the guys on the team, other than Derrick and Jake, were totally annoyed with his coaching last year.  These are all guys who are used to getting max minutes in high school...and all of a sudden they are getting yanked in and out for 30 second to 1:30 stints. 

You can GUARANTEE nothing - you weren't there. One thing I can GUARANTEE from what Reverand Dawson shared with the board. YOU held Derrick Wilson in much lower esteem than did John D and his father and YOU were much more annoyed with how minutes were shared than they were. Think about that. As for guys being used to getting max minutes, that's true for even the walk ons on D1 teams. You move up, most people have to adjust.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2014, 01:52:39 PM »
I think had Buzz had an agenda last season, and I think it had something to do with his future restrictions on recruiting.  I think he was trying to send a message saying, "Fine, these are the results when you get, when I don't get to recruit the players I want."  It's the only logical reason I can think of where, despite having one of the 5 worst back-courts in the country, statistically, you can justify sitting Burton, Taylor, Johnson, Dawson and Mayo for long stretches. 

And nothing against Jake and/or Derrick.  But the numbers didn't lie.

Alas, new season, new hope.  I'm looking forward to next year.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2014, 04:01:38 PM »
I think had Buzz had an agenda last season, and I think it had something to do with his future restrictions on recruiting.  I think he was trying to send a message saying, "Fine, these are the results when you get, when I don't get to recruit the players I want."  It's the only logical reason I can think of where, despite having one of the 5 worst back-courts in the country, statistically, you can justify sitting Burton, Taylor, Johnson, Dawson and Mayo for long stretches. 

And nothing against Jake and/or Derrick.  But the numbers didn't lie.

Alas, new season, new hope.  I'm looking forward to next year.

Somebody gets it...Bingo.  Buzz's ego had gotten so out of control he felt he could power play Wild and Cords...and ultimately...we see what the result of that has been.  I probably owe Larry Williams an apology - though I still feel you don't call out/criticize the biggest asset in your department to the local newspaper.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 04:13:57 PM »
You can GUARANTEE nothing - you weren't there. One thing I can GUARANTEE from what Reverand Dawson shared with the board. YOU held Derrick Wilson in much lower esteem than did John D and his father and YOU were much more annoyed with how minutes were shared than they were. Think about that. As for guys being used to getting max minutes, that's true for even the walk ons on D1 teams. You move up, most people have to adjust.

Right...I wasn't there...but I know from having played the game...you hate it if your coach yanks you in and out with no rhyme or reason, or after 1 mistake...and would especially hate it if you see the guy playing in front of you floundering game after game.  All players hate that.  Nobody on the team had a clear cut/consistent role - other than Derrick and Jake.  All of that inconsistency leads to frustration.  Everyone knows Steve Taylor and JJJ bags were all but packed.  Mayo?  Not really a lot of sense in him leaving at his age..to have to sit out a year elsewhere.  Derrick and Juan?  Same deal for them.  Burton and Dawson are great attitude kids - exceedingly good attitude kids - yet they at least got some* PT last year...JJJ on the other hand??  Come on...as a 5-star recruit, why would he not leave if Buzz was still around.

As for Reverend Dawson's comments here...think about it....do you really think for a second that one player's parent is going to be critical of another parent's kid in a public forum like this?  I sure don't think you are that naive Lenny.  That said,  I'm sure John and Derrick have a great relationship and there is a lot of respect John and his family have for Derrick.....yet all that said, it certainly doesn't mean you don't think you/your kid should be getting more PT...at least that's how I'd feel if it were my kid in Dawson's position last year.  It's one thing if the guy in front of you is playing well....but when he's scuffling along at 43% from the FT line, and has made exactly 2, 3point shots through the end of his junior year...that production is so abysmal....it would drive any parent nuts if your kid were behind them.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
I don't see any blabbering or defending in this thread. With as huge of an ego as Buzz has, I'm sure he would love to know that you are still so upset with him that you feel the need to bring him up constantly. Trust me, you really want to get back at Buzz, act like he never existed.
Yeah Eagle--as if you do not go out of your way to puff him up and defend the douche. 3...2...1...
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2014, 09:38:46 PM »
Todd as been solid since the academic issue in his soph season.  

That is absolutely NOT true.  At all.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:40:37 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2014, 09:40:13 PM »
My only question with regard to player conduct/discipline under Buzz, was, how did Vander basically go without any type of punishment - with regard to playing time, etc. - for punching another student in the face?  Todd's had issues, but none have involved the law.

Not commenting on the stories you are reading here, but Vander's issues were almost all during his first semester at MU.