[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU history help from some old-timers  (Read 17864 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: MU history help from some old-timers
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 02:09:01 PM »
Robert Hall was a JUCO PG who played for Majerus in '84 and '85.

I bought a suit from him once

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 03:04:22 PM »

Raymonds, for certain. Came from DeLand sans credit card, but not for long.

Well, he needed something to cut the white stuff with

Death on call

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 03:50:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure Hutchins was an O'Neal recruit that Deane was damn lucky to inherit.

All those guys listed were Kevin O'Neill recruits:  Hutch, Zack, Abel and Richard.  O'Neill told all of them to honor their commitment to MU even though he was leaving.  Can't recall if Faisal Abraham was in that class as well or the previous one..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »
I can contribute almost nothing except to say that Larry Hatchett was a super nice guy and why he took a personal liking to me when I was an underclassmen is a mystery. We lost track after he graduated.  Hope his life turned out fantastic.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 05:11:05 PM »
I can contribute almost nothing except to say that Larry Hatchett was a super nice guy and why he took a personal liking to me when I was an underclassmen is a mystery. We lost track after he graduated.  Hope his life turned out fantastic.

Belieive it or not, he's a urologist.  With the name Dr. Hatchett.

http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Robert_Hatchett.html

UPDATE:  Since the name might confuse some (Robert Lawrence Hatchett)  here's another link with his bio identifying MU:
http://www.aplusfoundation.org/hallofhonor/recipients-07-08.asp

DR. R. LAWRENCE HATCHETT - CLASS OF 1977
Dr. R. Lawrence Hatchett, MD is a national leader in the field of urinary medicine. After a noteworthy career at Marquette University, where he was a student-body leader and four-year letterman on the varsity basketball team, Dr. Hatchett attended the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine and later completed a fellowship through the Harvard University School of Medicine. He went into private practice in 1991 and became director of The Bladder Control Center of Tallahassee.

In 1996, Dr. Hatchett founded Incontinence Center Consultants, Inc., a national consulting firm designed to educate hospitals and physicians in the development of an incontinence niche through surgical training, market evaluation and practice marketing. Dr. Hatchett’s main interests lie in men’s health, benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH), erectile dysfunction, and kidney stone treatment and prevention. As a leader in his field and has toured as a national speaker for a variety of health-related topics and consults on minimally invasive techniques to treat BPH. He founded Southern Illinois Urology in May of 2003 in Herrin, Ill.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:16:29 PM by The Equalizer »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 05:28:17 PM »
Kevin O'Neal's first class consisted of Ron Curry, who had to sit out a year. O'Neal refused to sign any other recruits, so he can focus on the nexrt year. I believe that was the year of Key, McIllvanie and Logterman. His third year he brought in Tony Miller.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »
O Lee should have been a superstar. He had real gifts and real issues.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 05:41:11 PM »
I bought a suit from him once

Where the values go up, up, up and the prices go down, down, down
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 05:45:22 PM »
Kevin O'Neal's first class consisted of Ron Curry, who had to sit out a year. O'Neal refused to sign any other recruits, so he can focus on the nexrt year. I believe that was the year of Key, McIllvanie and Logterman. His third year he brought in Tony Miller.

Keith Stewart and Jay Zulauf would have had to transfer at the same time as Curry to be eligible for O'Neill's second season.

Jeff Zavada was listed as the sole frosh in O'Neill's first year.  Consistent with every other coach listed, the incoming coach is credited with the holdover.
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1989

Thus, O'Neill's line should read:

First year:  Jeff Zavada, Keith Stewart*, Ron Curry*, Jay Zulauf*
Second Year;  Key, McIlvaine, Logtermann, Brakes

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
If I remember correctly, replace Robert Hall with Mike Davis. Hall was the next year.

Hall was here for 83-84 and 84-85.  Kevin Johnson was the primary point in 85-86.

Davis came in for 84-85 (from the same hometown and juco as Aaron Rodgers, Butte College in Chico, CA) and then left the team during the 85-86 season.
If you ever heard him speak you'll recall almost every sentence began and ended with the word "Dude"

Many may have forgotten that Herb Harrison was the brother of Jayne Kennedy from the NFL pregame on CBS. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:49:09 PM by oldwarrior81 »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 07:46:26 PM »
7 recruits for Dukiet in '87? Wow.
Most of whom couldn't hold their own on the main court at the rec center.  I have many fond memories of teaming up with Johnny Miller and a few of his friends to thrash those guys when they showed up. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 08:27:54 PM »
Hall was here for 83-84 and 84-85.  Kevin Johnson was the primary point in 85-86.

Davis came in for 84-85 (from the same hometown and juco as Aaron Rodgers, Butte College in Chico, CA) and then left the team during the 85-86 season.
If you ever heard him speak you'll recall almost every sentence began and ended with the word "Dude"

Many may have forgotten that Herb Harrison was the brother of Jayne Kennedy from the NFL pregame on CBS. 

You're correct on Robert Hall, I had my years mixed up. I remember the joke Majerus told that he was the only coach who outweighed his starting backcourt (Hall and Mandy Johnson).
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 08:31:28 PM »
JUST TRYING TO CONFIRM, as someone else said above, '94 is all WRONG - ALL O'NEIL RECRUITS.

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2014, 08:37:38 PM »
I believe 86 is wrong... think Roman Mueller and Rod Grosse were Majerus mistakes (interesting guy, part of 77 Champ story, but much overrated in MU lore - RIP)

What happened to 85 - no recruits?.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2014, 09:46:58 PM »
Belieive it or not, he's a urologist.  With the name Dr. Hatchett.

http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Robert_Hatchett.html

UPDATE:  Since the name might confuse some (Robert Lawrence Hatchett)  here's another link with his bio identifying MU:
http://www.aplusfoundation.org/hallofhonor/recipients-07-08.asp

DR. R. LAWRENCE HATCHETT - CLASS OF 1977
Dr. R. Lawrence Hatchett, MD is a national leader in the field of urinary medicine. After a noteworthy career at Marquette University, where he was a student-body leader and four-year letterman on the varsity basketball team, Dr. Hatchett attended the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine and later completed a fellowship through the Harvard University School of Medicine. He went into private practice in 1991 and became director of The Bladder Control Center of Tallahassee.

In 1996, Dr. Hatchett founded Incontinence Center Consultants, Inc., a national consulting firm designed to educate hospitals and physicians in the development of an incontinence niche through surgical training, market evaluation and practice marketing. Dr. Hatchett’s main interests lie in men’s health, benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH), erectile dysfunction, and kidney stone treatment and prevention. As a leader in his field and has toured as a national speaker for a variety of health-related topics and consults on minimally invasive techniques to treat BPH. He founded Southern Illinois Urology in May of 2003 in Herrin, Ill.

I was walking down Wisconsin Ave. Larry Hatchett was on my side of the street, Sam Worthen and Artie Green were walking down the other side. Hatchett yells to Green something like, "Aren't you going to class?" And Artie responds: "Man, I ain't into that e-du-ca-shun $hit." Then he and Worthen starting cracking up like they just heard the funniest joke in the history of the world.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2014, 10:30:24 PM »
I believe Majerus' first class for the 1983-84 season was;

* Tom Copa, a center from Coon Valley Minnesota
* Robert Hall, the Juco point guard from Cleveland that had played at Central Arizona.
* Richard McCormick a point from Syracuse, NY
* Herb Harrison a forward from Wickcliffe Ohio.
* Tony Reeder, a forward from Westchester, Illinois that was academically ineligible until the following season.
* Walter Downing transfered in from DePaul and also began playing the following season.

But Joe Wolf was the big one that got away.

Reeder was also academically ineligible for half of his senior year if I recall.  The double

augoman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2014, 11:15:16 PM »

Where the values go up, up, up and the prices go down, down, down
performed by Les Paul and Mary Ford.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 11:28:40 PM »
I'm not an old-timer.

I am a seasoned fan.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2014, 07:51:23 AM »
I was walking down Wisconsin Ave. Larry Hatchett was on my side of the street, Sam Worthen and Artie Green were walking down the other side. Hatchett yells to Green something like, "Aren't you going to class?" And Artie responds: "Man, I ain't into that e-du-ca-shun $hit." Then he and Worthen starting cracking up like they just heard the funniest joke in the history of the world.

Worthen should be part of Hank's second recruiting class in the original post.

Grandstaff

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2014, 08:19:26 AM »

As were Michael Wilson and Artie Green.

One could list Odell Ball, like they classified Otule, as a Hank recruit, although he sat out the championship year on a transfer under Al but he only played for Hank. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2014, 08:33:42 AM »

My freshman year (1978-79), Dean Marquardt, Sam Worthen, Michael Wilson and Artie Green debuted. All part of Hank's second recruiting class. 
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2014, 08:59:58 AM »
I'm assumin' Larry graduated from med school. Anyone know from where and his specialty?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2014, 09:27:48 AM »
As were Michael Wilson and Artie Green.

One could list Odell Ball, like they classified Otule, as a Hank recruit, although he sat out the championship year on a transfer under Al but he only played for Hank. 

I can remember going up against Odell Ball in the rec center.  Yikes.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2014, 09:29:09 AM »
My freshman year (1978-79), Dean Marquardt, Sam Worthen, Michael Wilson and Artie Green debuted. All part of Hank's second recruiting class. 

Out of that group, I believe only Marquardt made any significant money playing pro ball.....seems to have had a fairly lucrative career in Europe.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2014, 12:23:20 PM »
Worthen spent a few seasons in the NBA followed by 7-8 years in the old CBA.

He's done quite a bit of coaching ranging from small time pro teams to a stint as an assistant at Iona.  Last I heard he was coaching the Washington Generals against the Harlem Globetrotters since about 2008.