Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Heldt or Stone  (Read 16377 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Heldt or Stone
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2014, 08:24:26 AM »
Well hoops, maybe I'm just letting my memories of watching Olson cloud by judgement.  Because by and large I always thought the legend of Ricky Olson overshadowed the reality.  But you are right.  Those are nice accomplishments especially considering how bad UW was.  I just don't know if he ever really lived up to the hype.

And believe me I wasn't a hater.  My mom was a teacher at LaFollette back then so I went to a bunch of his games, mostly because my high school (West) was pretty awful at the time.

Madison West tied for the title with La Follette that year. They had a very nice team! Curt Schlict played center (6'6"), Mike Todd (6'7") at one forward, and Troy Lamar (6'6") at the other forward. Schlict went to UW for football, Todd played basketball at Arkansas State, and Lamar played at USC. Their starting point guard ended up playing baseball at UW. I believe his last name was Brown. They were loaded with talent. The entire Big Eight Conference was loaded with talent back then. Many guys from that year got scholarships. Also, the year prior to that Madison West lost a nail biter at State with another outstanding team. Boyce Hodge, and state player of the year Steve Bartow were on that team along with the cast members that I just mentioned.

Just curious Sultan - were you a hater, a liar, or just confused?  Seems odd.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »
Madison West tied for the title with La Follette that year. They had a very nice team! Curt Schlict played center (6'6"), Mike Todd (6'7") at one forward, and Troy Lamar (6'6") at the other forward. Schlict went to UW for football, Todd played basketball at Arkansas State, and Lamar played at USC. Their starting point guard ended up playing baseball at UW. I believe his last name was Brown. They were loaded with talent. The entire Big Eight Conference was loaded with talent back then. Many guys from that year got scholarships. Also, the year prior to that Madison West lost a nail biter at State with another outstanding team. Boyce Hodge, and state player of the year Steve Bartow were on that team along with the cast members that I just mentioned.

I had a bad evening.  (And not due to any alcohol consumption either.)

I was in middle school during the Olson years and went to LaFollette games because my mom worked there.  West was pretty bad when I was in high school so I still went to a lot of LaFollette games anyway.  (Graduated in '86)

So thank you for correcting my poor memory.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2014, 08:35:01 AM »
Just curious Sultan - were you a hater, a liar, or just confused?  Seems odd.

I was merely mixing up my years.  When hoops posted Olson's statistics, I saw years like 1985 and 86, and I immediately thought "high school" for some reason.  As I explained, I did see Olson a lot but I was in middle school at the time, and I continued to go to LaFollette games in high school cause my parents went to a bunch of them. 

By the time I was a senior in high school, hanging out with the parents wasn't as fun so I would go to more West games, and they were getting better at the time.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 09:15:18 AM »

I was merely mixing up my years.  When hoops posted Olson's statistics, I saw years like 1985 and 86, and I immediately thought "high school" for some reason.  As I explained, I did see Olson a lot but I was in middle school at the time, and I continued to go to LaFollette games in high school cause my parents went to a bunch of them. 

By the time I was a senior in high school, hanging out with the parents wasn't as fun so I would go to more West games, and they were getting better at the time.

All good...so you didn't play high school basketball?  For some reason I thought you did.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

feedback