[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What do new coaches, Wojo & Travis Diener mean for recruiting at MU  (Read 2494 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
What do new coaches, Steve Wojciechowski & Travis Diener mean for recruiting at Marquette?

http://fox6now.com/2014/07/09/what-do-new-coaches-steve-wojciechowski-travis-diener-mean-for-recruiting-at-marquette/

MILWAUKEE (WITI) — With an off-season of change, the Marquette basketball program is heading in a new direction. Steve Wojciechowski is coming in as the new head coach, and he’s bringing with him a certain cache.

“I think the energy around the program is incredible right now,” MU Assistant Coach Travis Diener said.

During the annual summer barbecue for Marquette athletics, a familiar face made the rounds.

Former NBA player and Marquette star, who helped lead MU to the Final Four in 2003, Travis Diener is once again part of the Golden Eagles program.

“I think that’s what builds the program, is like tonight — all the people that are back, all the former players,” Diener said.

Having Diener as an assistant coach is something current player Duane Wilson is ecstatic about.

“It’s different because he put on a jersey before, so he can tell you what it’s like and experiences playing here,” Wilson said.

“We want those guys to be a part of what we’re trying to build here in the future because they’ve created such a great foundation,” Wojciechowski said.

It’s Wojo’s past that former Marquette standout and current Utah Jazz guard Steve Novak sees as an important part for the Golden Eagles’ future.

“You know that Coach Wojo has worked with guys like Jabari Parker who got drafted here and so many pros over the last eight years at Duke and worked with the U.S. Olympic team — so you know that he sees those guys and understands what they do well and why they’re able to be successful, and he can implement those things here,” Novak said.

Novak says he believes that will translate to better recruits buying into Marquette basketball.

“I think you want to know that the coach you’re going to play for can prepare you to get to that next level. Whether it happens or not, you’ve got to work your tail off and see what happens,” Novak said.

“That’s going to be the thing right now that proves to be the difference — is their recruiting aspect,” Tony Smith said.

Smith, also a Marquette alumnus and former NBA player sees Coach Wojo as having something most other coaches don’t when it comes to bringing in quality players.

“He has a lot of guys in his corner, Coach Kryzewksi, USA Basketball – so, I expect that to help him with a lot of these recruits who are maybe on the fence, should I go here, should I go there — because top programs are still going to get the top players,” Smith said.

Some of those top players are right here in the state of Wisconsin — an important part of the recruiting game for any school in the state.

“I think it’s an undervalued state in terms of talent. We hope to make our mark here at Marquette within the state with the high school players,” Wojciechowski said.

Coach Wojo says he’s hoping the players he does bring in will be the ones talking about their experiences at Marquette at future barbecues.

“There’s a lot to sell. This is a place where a kid can get the best of all worlds. They get a great academic experience, a great community feel and elite level basketball,” Wojciechowski said.

Highly-regarded Matt Heldt from Neenah signed a letter of intent at the beginning of the month with the Golden Eagles.

We can look for more big names, as Marquette has three more spots to fill for its 2015 recruiting class.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: What do new coaches, Wojo & Travis Diener mean for recruiting at MU
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »
Always good to hear from Tony Smith.

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »
I thought we only have 2 spots left for 2015.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 01:06:27 PM »
What do new coaches, Steve Wojciechowski & Travis Diener mean for recruiting at Marquette?

http://fox6now.com/2014/07/09/what-do-new-coaches-steve-wojciechowski-travis-diener-mean-for-recruiting-at-marquette/

MILWAUKEE (WITI) — ....Highly-regarded Matt Heldt from Neenah signed a letter of intent at the beginning of the month with the Golden Eagles.

Damn, I knew that Wojo would have an impact, but I never dreamed that the NCAA would give him his own signing period this summer!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »

Yeah.  They are wrong. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 02:29:31 PM »
Has it ever been confirmed that Wally Ellenson will be using a 2015 scholarship? He may be on the Thomas plan where you get one, if it is unused.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 04:08:38 PM »
Thought Travis wasn't allowed to recruit.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »
Thought Travis wasn't allowed to recruit.

He can.  Just not off campus.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 05:29:57 PM »
Has it ever been confirmed that Wally Ellenson will be using a 2015 scholarship? He may be on the Thomas plan where you get one, if it is unused.

Wally would not be coming to Marquette without a scholarship.  No high major athlete is going to willingly pay $35K/year for an education while they have a selection of schools that they can go to for free.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »
Wally would not be coming to Marquette without a scholarship.  No high major athlete is going to willingly pay $35K/year for an education while they have a selection of schools that they can go to for free.

I think you're right but it has happened before. Ricky Kreklow, a starter for California last season, is transferring to Creighton as a walk on. He had several scholarship offers from decent programs. Then of course there was McDermmott as well. Dang, Creighton has great walk ons.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback