[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bleacher: 10 New CBB Coaches Most Likely to Make the 2015 NCAA Tourney (Wojo 9)  (Read 3197 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Ranking the 10 New CBB Coaches Most Likely to Make the 2015 NCAA Tournament

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2132904-ranking-the-10-new-cbb-coaches-most-likely-to-make-the-2015-ncaa-tournament

9. Marquette Golden Eagles: Steve Wojciechowski

School record in 2013-14: 17-15 overall (9-9 in Big East)

Coaching pedigree: 15 seasons as assistant to Mike Krzyzewski at Duke

There's no telling what you'll get in the first season under the leadership of a long-time assistant coach.

In Mike Krzyzewski's coaching tree, though, it hasn't been immediate greatness.

Chris Collins pulled off a few shocking upsets last season at Northwestern after more than a decade on the sidelines with Coach K, but the Wildcats finished the season five games below .500 and nowhere near the tournament discussion.

Tommy Amaker was a Duke assistant for almost a decade before taking Seton Hall to the NIT with a 15-15 record in his first year as a head coach. Johnny Dawkins left for Stanford after a decade on the Duke bench, and he didn't make the NCAA tournament until his sixth season.

Now it's Steve Wojciechowski's time to try his luck in a relatively unenviable position. Marquette loses four of its top six scorers from this past season, and most of its top recruits recommitted elsewhere after Buzz Williams left for Virginia Tech.

Indiana transfer Luke Fischer is the only player on the roster taller than 6'7", and he probably won't even be eligible to play until the second semester.

But the "new" Big East is still finding its footing. Villanova and Georgetown will likely finish at the top, and DePaul will remain in the basement until further notice, but everything in between is up for grabs.

I personally think Marquette is headed for a ninth-place finish in the Big East, but Wojo and the Golden Eagles have a better chance of making the tournament than other schools with new coaches like Maine, Maryland-Eastern Shore or Montana State.

We R Final Four

• All American
Indiana transfer Luke Fischer is the only player on the roster taller than 6'7", and he probably won't even be eligible to play until the second semester.

Probably? Is there something that I am unaware of?

NersEllenson

• All American
Wow...he thinks we'll finish in 9th place in the Big East...I'll be shocked if we aren't in the Top 4.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
I hope you are right, Ners.   I see a very small team with no depth up front, no truly consistent returning scorers (not Mayo, not Carlino, not Burton   Potential, yes, but not a given).    A couple of ticky tack fouls, and suddenly you have Mayo and Burton guarding Kaminsky and Dekker. 
 Sometimes the new voice in the head is good motivator.   It was with Jerel, DJames, and Wes.   The renewed emphasis on skill development is a positive.   But so many things have to fall absolutely perfectly for this team to be a tourney team, I just am not as willing as you to place money in that direction.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
No Bert? I thought everyone in the ACC got a bid.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

79Warrior

• All American
Wow...he thinks we'll finish in 9th place in the Big East...I'll be shocked if we aren't in the Top 4.

Top 4 will be a extremely tall order!

NersEllenson

• All American
I hope you are right, Ners.   I see a very small team with no depth up front, no truly consistent returning scorers (not Mayo, not Carlino, not Burton   Potential, yes, but not a given).    A couple of ticky tack fouls, and suddenly you have Mayo and Burton guarding Kaminsky and Dekker. 
 Sometimes the new voice in the head is good motivator.   It was with Jerel, DJames, and Wes.   The renewed emphasis on skill development is a positive.   But so many things have to fall absolutely perfectly for this team to be a tourney team, I just am not as willing as you to place money in that direction.   

No doubt we will be small up front..until Luke is ready.  But, the Big 3 senior year, that was a small team, with Burke manning the post.  I am so bullish because I feel we get a proven PG in Carlino, that will be a big boost.  Mayo and Burton should have breakout years..as in All Big East consideration - all the talent and tools are there.  Buzz really held both of those guys back last year.  JJJ, Duane, Dawson all 1 year more mature, experienced - and all of those guys have a really nice foundation of talent to build from.

I believe Steve and Juan will man the middle early on fairly effectively, not to say Kaminsky won't give them (or everyone else in the country problems), but as Chicos says - it's a guards game...and we have a TON of talent at the guard position this season....and a super unique player in Burton.

Hope I'm right...but..I know many aren't as bullish.  The unknown variable to me of course is can Wojo coach - I believe he can and will be good enough with the talent on the roster we have...to where a solid coaching job should lead to the NCAA. 

On another note..I bet $400 on Wisconsin to win the whole thing...payout is $5600 on that...losing Brust isn't a huge loss...and with all those other guys back and a year older...yikes...Koenig can do a nice job "replacing" Brust...if he's not playing at PG.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Our ceiling is a 2nd place finish in the Beast. Our floor is a 9th place finish. That's how many unknowns there are on our team and how big of a...dare I say...crapshoot the middle of the Big East is.

On another note..I bet $400 on Wisconsin to win the whole thing...payout is $5600 on that...losing Brust isn't a huge loss...and with all those other guys back and a year older...yikes...Koenig can do a nice job "replacing" Brust...if he's not playing at PG.

Not a bad bet. Wisconsin is a top 10 team for sure. Maybe even top 5. But I think Kentucky and Arizona are the two teams to bet on this year. The talent on those two squads is stupid good.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
Our ceiling is a 2nd place finish in the Beast. Our floor is a 9th place finish. That's how many unknowns there are on our team and how big of a...dare I say...crapshoot the middle of the Big East is.

Not a bad bet. Wisconsin is a top 10 team for sure. Maybe even top 5. But I think Kentucky and Arizona are the two teams to bet on this year. The talent on those two squads is stupid good.

I'll bet you that your prediction that MU finishes between 2nd and 9th is correct.  Ha. 

As for Wisconsin bet....just felt 14 to 1 was too good to pass up given all that returning experience, and Bo Ryan can coach.  This is the most talent he's had on a team ever.   Kaminsky, Dekker, Gasser, Jackson....throw in Nigel Hayes, Koenig...even Dukan....that's 7 solid players, with arguably 3 who have superstar quality at college basketball level - Kaminsky, Dekker, Hayes.