[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why MU Picked Warriors In 1954?  (Read 15100 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Why MU Picked Warriors In 1954?
« on: July 08, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »
I've never heard this before.  Can anyone confirm this story?

Also I think the story has a typo ... it should be 1995 that they considered changing back to Warriors, not 2005, correct?  And when was "lightning" ever in the conversation?

http://www.lebanondemocrat.com/article/sports/420396

Sports world has long history of changing nicknames
By Joe Knowles Chicago Tribune (MCT)
Jun 19, 2014

Marquette University has had several colorful nicknames, including the Blue and Gold, the Hilltoppers and the Golden Avalanche (go figure). They changed the name to Warriors in 1954, inspired in part by Major League Baseball’s Boston Braves relocating to Milwaukee. At the time the city had a definite theme going — the NBA team was named the Hawks and the minor league hockey team was named the Chiefs. None of those teams still play in Milwaukee today; baseball’s Braves are in Atlanta, as are the NBA’s Hawks (after a stop in St. Louis). The Chiefs lasted only three seasons in the International Hockey League before folding in 1954.

Marquette introduced a cartoonish tomahawk-wielding new mascot, Willy Wampum, in 1961, but he had disappeared by the mid-’70s when the basketball team was rising into a national championship contender. A more restrained logo replaced Willy’s image depicting a warrior in profile.

Marquette dropped Warriors as a nickname for its sports teams in 1993 and chose Golden Eagles over Lightning.

In 2005, the school’s board of trustees considered switching back to Warriors in an effort to recall the school’s glory days as a basketball power. One prominent alumnus and board trustee told the school that he and a fellow trustee were willing to donate $2 million to the school if they would go back to the Warriors nickname.

Thinking better of it, the board decided instead to float another alternative: The Gold.

It was not well received. In fact, it was panned roundly and quickly sunk like the piece of heavy metal it was.

Former Marquette star Dwyane Wade, who was playing for the NBA’s Heat at the time, summed up the feelings of many alumni in an interview with ESPN.

“The Gold?” Wade asked incredulously. “I got to make a phone call to Marquette.”

The school abandoned Gold and stuck with Golden Eagles.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Why MU Picked Warriors In 1954?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 06:13:26 PM »
thank you dwyane wade!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:41:10 PM »
No 2005 was the year of the Great Tease.  I still can't get over what they university pulled that year.  Almost got me to stop being a fan. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 07:00:09 PM »
Yes. I do remember Lightning from 1994/95?.

2005 - Here's the Chicago Tribune write-up (cached) on the Marquette vs. Hilltoppers run-off.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0oaI39-ZKa4J:articles.chicagotribune.com/2005-06-08/sports/0506080167_1_students-vote-students-protest-new-nickname+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

SS Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 11:35:26 PM »
Am I the only one who kind of liked the Gold? It's unique at least.

People who were around at the time, was there a serious contingent behind lightning?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 11:43:45 PM »
Which part Berg?  The Warriors chosen because of the Braves...yes.    Lightning, yes, but that was in 1994.  The change back to the Warriors was 2005, not 1995. 

God Bless Hank Raymonds  June 3rd, 2005, MJS..."Marquette's former basketball coach and athletic director, said he won't even cast a ballot "because I'm a Warrior."

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 07:35:16 PM »
Remember the Milwaukee Does? Brief pre-WNBA women's league.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 07:44:21 PM »
More accurately.. the 'voting' was held in fall '93 and Lightning was an option... the name change was not until 1994.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 07:55:55 PM »
I think so many people are under the impression we were always the Warriors. Fact is, we were only the Warriors for 40 years. Lots of "traditions" go back way longer, including Redskins. And slavery.

I still call 'em the Warriors but I was never upset about the change. Some friends were so furious they said they'd never give another dime to the school; pretty silly if you ask me.

I just wish we would have gone back to Hilltoppers because THAT would have been returning to a tradition. Besides, there's something like 15 schools that have Golden Eagles or Eagles as mascots. So unoriginal.

I got my first head-coaching job last fall and the school's mascot is the Eagles. Ugh!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 09:51:44 AM »

People who were around at the time, was there a serious contingent behind lightning?
You are NOT the only one who kind of liked Gold. Remember, 38 members of the board-of-trustees liked it too. I have to admit, at first blush it seemed a bit odd but in time it would have been grown in popularity. Imagine all the cool iterations of shiny gold uniforms we could have added to our legacy of unique uniforms. But instead, the name didn't last a week. I think the premature death was due to three things. First, Dwyane Wade made fun of it in an ESPN interview and everyone immediately followed his cue. Had he come out and said "Well, let's give the name some time to sink in" it might still be around today. Also, the Milwaukee Journal mocked it on the front page with "Bricky" the gold-bar mascot (probably designed by a Badger lover), and third I think what turned most people off was not the name itself but the fact that the decision was made behind closed doors without any alumni input.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:34:46 AM by The Love House »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »
I think so many people are under the impression we were always the Warriors. Fact is, we were only the Warriors for 40 years. Lots of "traditions" go back way longer, including Redskins. And slavery.

I still call 'em the Warriors but I was never upset about the change. Some friends were so furious they said they'd never give another dime to the school; pretty silly if you ask me.

I just wish we would have gone back to Hilltoppers because THAT would have been returning to a tradition. Besides, there's something like 15 schools that have Golden Eagles or Eagles as mascots. So unoriginal.

I got my first head-coaching job last fall and the school's mascot is the Eagles. Ugh!
Of course, pre-1954 does not really count.  So MU was the Warriors for a significant part of its relevant athletic history.  The name Hilltoppers is just lame.  I will be a Warrior forever.

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 10:15:22 AM »
I promise you that Tom Crean was the one selling "Gold". 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 12:13:18 PM »
Golden Avalanche seems so perfect.  Especially how the student section evolved with general admission and (usually) gold tees.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 01:18:25 PM »
I thought Gold was OK, I like it way more than Golden Eagles.  If they would have just gone back to Hilltoppers in '94 it would have been so much simpler.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 01:28:14 PM »
Golden Knights was one of the options back in the day.  I voted for that and wrote in Warriors.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 01:43:23 PM »

I suspect most people who still talk about it, like us on message boards, are well aware of the previous nicknames.  There certainly was plenty of discussion about Hilltoppers and Golden Avanche during the Gold fiasco.  But regardless of the other nicknames, our greatest hoops success by far came while we were named the Warriors - our only National Championship, 2 of our 3 Final Fours, most of our All Americans, our only national POY, and our best and most colorful coach.  To me, that's why we'll always be the Warriors...and why we still hear announcers referring to us as Warriors on occasion.

I haven't totally given up donating to the school, but I spend more on bootleg Warriors shirts than anything they sell at the Spirit Store.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:45:35 PM by GooooMarquette »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 01:44:32 PM »

Gold isn't really unique....there are at least two other major universities that have color as their "mascot" (Standford and Syracuse).

I hated it because it was out of left field and yet another example of the bumbling incompetence of the board.  They had the opportunity to do all the things they should have wanted and basically crapped in their own hands.

They could have unified the alumni and current students under a single banner and eliminated(mostly) the allegiance to the warrior name, simply by having a very open and transparent method to select the new nickname that would have included voting, etc.

Instead they rolled Gold out from behind closed doors, further compounding the outrage from when they changed the nickname in the first place

How did the nickname thing not win the meme tournament???
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 01:52:02 PM »
Gold isn't really unique....there are at least two other major universities that have color as their "mascot" (Standford and Syracuse).

I hated it because it was out of left field and yet another example of the bumbling incompetence of the board.  They had the opportunity to do all the things they should have wanted and basically crapped in their own hands.

They could have unified the alumni and current students under a single banner and eliminated(mostly) the allegiance to the warrior name, simply by having a very open and transparent method to select the new nickname that would have included voting, etc.

Instead they rolled Gold out from behind closed doors, further compounding the outrage from when they changed the nickname in the first place

Well, we'd be the only Gold. And two is a lot better (three with Harvard) than the dozens of schools with Eagles as the mascot.

I don't think changing the name would have stopped the animosity. There was a survey sent out, write in votes for Warriors won in a landslide.
TAMU

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »

Stanford = Cardinal (color, not bird)
Syracuse = Orange (not the fruit)
Harvard = Crimson
Uni of Chicago = Maroon
Cornell = Big Red
Dartmouth = Big Green

To join this list of "colors" with "Marquette Gold" would have been much better than joining Tennessee Tech and Southern Mississippi (among many others) sharing Golden Eagles.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »
Golden Avalanche seems so perfect.  Especially how the student section evolved with general admission and (usually) gold tees.

+1

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »

right on!!  not only do i think the name "gold" is lame, but coming from a jesuit university whose leaders take a vow of poverty, right? ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »
I suspect most people who still talk about it, like us on message boards, are well aware of the previous nicknames.  There certainly was plenty of discussion about Hilltoppers and Golden Avanche during the Gold fiasco.  But regardless of the other nicknames, our greatest hoops success by far came while we were named the Warriors - our only National Championship, 2 of our 3 Final Fours, most of our All Americans, our only national POY, and our best and most colorful coach.  To me, that's why we'll always be the Warriors...and why we still hear announcers referring to us as Warriors on occasion.

I haven't totally given up donating to the school, but I spend more on bootleg Warriors shirts than anything they sell at the Spirit Store.

I don't think success is a good barometer for what the nickname should be. Realistically, it should have never been Warriors. (I know that's hard to admit)

It was changed for a stupid reason back then, and then changed for a stupid reason in 1994, and then temporarily changed again in 200?.

I completely understand why "warrior" alumni identify with that mascot/name, and that's cool, more power to you. But, if we want to get righteous about it, Hilltoppers is the name.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »
I don't think success is a good barometer for what the nickname should be. Realistically, it should have never been Warriors. (I know that's hard to admit)

It was changed for a stupid reason back then, and then changed for a stupid reason in 1994, and then temporarily changed again in 200?.

I completely understand why "warrior" alumni identify with that mascot/name, and that's cool, more power to you. But, if we want to get righteous about it, Hilltoppers is the name.

I agree that the reasons for the changes were pretty lame.  But just out of curiosity:  What is a good barometer of what a nickname should be?  The reality is that by the time of the Gold fiasco, we'd already had multiple nicknames.  At that point, what would you call the best barometer for choosing our next?  If you think it should have been  our first, we should have changed back to Blue and Gold, not Hilltoppers.  http://marquettewire.org/2014/02/06/journal/latest-issue/college-life/mascot-madness/

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 03:04:30 PM »
I agree that the reasons for the changes were pretty lame.  But just out of curiosity:  What is a good barometer of what a nickname should be?  The reality is that by the time of the Gold fiasco, we'd already had multiple nicknames.  At that point, what would you call the best barometer for choosing our next?  If you think it should have been  our first, we should have changed back to Blue and Gold, not Hilltoppers.  http://marquettewire.org/2014/02/06/journal/latest-issue/college-life/mascot-madness/

Touche!

I'd have to go with "Blue & Gold" then.

Whatever they originally picked, no matter how lame, is the only one I can really get all self-righteous about. (shaking my fist right now)

Which one do I personally like the best? Warriors. But, that's just because I like it, not because it's "right".

EDIT: Technically, "Hilltoppers" was the first official name, so I'd be fine with "Blue&Gold" or "Hilltoppers".
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:06:11 PM by Canned Goods n Ammo »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 03:10:24 PM »

This nickname would have been #2 behind Warriors with every other one miles behind. It had history (our football team was so nicknamed back in the day) and a unique/cool factor. Plus it would have forever enshrined the Avalanche Bar in spite of the administration tearing the joint down.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »
Touche!

I'd have to go with "Blue & Gold" then.

Whatever they originally picked, no matter how lame, is the only one I can really get all self-righteous about. (shaking my fist right now)

Which one do I personally like the best? Warriors. But, that's just because I like it, not because it's "right".

EDIT: Technically, "Hilltoppers" was the first official name, so I'd be fine with "Blue&Gold" or "Hilltoppers".

Do you still call the Chicago Cubs the White Stockings?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »
Gold lightning would've been alright.  I'm sure it would've made the listening to thunderstruck before the game a bit more relevant and exciting.
Maigh Eo for Sam

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 03:29:39 PM »
NYU Violets, one of 60 member institutions of the distinguished Association of American Universities. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 03:39:20 PM »
Gold Hilltopper Avalanche has a nice ring and covers most of the bases  ;)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »
NYU Violets, one of 60 member institutions of the distinguished Association of American Universities. 

According to Chicos, they will be joining the Big 10!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 03:53:54 PM »
Do you still call the Chicago Cubs the White Stockings?

I dunno. I guess I never knew why they changed it to Cubs in the first place.

I understand WHY people like Warriors, I'm just saying that if we are going to get all righteous about it, let's get righteous about the original nickname.

"Warriors" was as made up and forced upon the school as "Golden Eagles". I know we don't like to admit that, but it's true.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »

All outstanding points.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
According to Chicos, they will be joining the Big 10!

Nope, but they wouldn't be scratched off the consideration list for academics, just for football.  Unlike FSU, UConn, etc that need to make AAU status first.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 04:03:29 PM »
You are NOT the only one who kind of liked Gold. Remember, 38 members of the board-of-trustees liked it too. I have to admit, at first blush it seemed a bit odd but in time it would have been grown in popularity. Imagine all the cool iterations of shiny gold uniforms we could have added to our legacy of unique uniforms. But instead, the name didn't last a week. I think the premature death was due to three things. First, Dwyane Wade made fun of it in an ESPN interview and everyone immediately followed his queue. Had he come out and said "Well, let's give the name some time to sink in" it might still be around today. Also, the Milwaukee Journal mocked it on the front page with "Bricky" the gold-bar mascot (probably designed by a Badger lover), and third I think what turned most people off was not the name itself but the fact that the decision was made behind closed doors without any alumni input.

I thought the real death knell was when Sports Illustrated's Steve Rushin, an MU alum, absolutely killed "Gold" in his weekly column back when SI was the conscience of sports. His column was hilarious and vicious, and Gold was gone within a day if I remember correctly.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 04:05:16 PM »
Harvard = Crimson
Uni of Chicago = Maroon
Cornell = Big Red
Dartmouth = Big Green

To join this list of "colors" with "Marquette Gold" would have been much better than joining Tennessee Tech and Southern Mississippi (among many others) sharing Golden Eagles.

Reminds me of the old trivia question, name the DI basketball mascots that do not end in the letter S and CANNOT have a color in them.

Stanford Cardinal does not count, because it is a color.  In fact, many on your list don't count.

Can you name them?

Here's a few starters

Navy Midshipmen
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Illinois Fighting Illini

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 04:08:46 PM »
Nope, but they wouldn't be scratched off the consideration list for academics, just for football.  Unlike FSU, UConn, etc that need to make AAU status first.

I was just teasing you

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 04:13:53 PM »
I was just teasing you

I know you were.   :-*

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »
Reminds me of the old trivia question, name the DI basketball mascots that do not end in the letter S and CANNOT have a color in them.

Stanford Cardinal does not count, because it is a color.  In fact, many on your list don't count.

Can you name them?

Here's a few starters

Navy Midshipmen
Illinois Fighting Illini

Green Bay Phoenix and North Dakota Fight Sioux
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:37:46 PM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 04:38:37 PM »
Isn't Green Bay the Phoenix?

Yup.  You're missing a handful of others, but UWGB is one on the list.

Here's a few others

Nevada Wolfpack
NC State Wolfpack

There are others, I'll reveal later if folks don't come up with them

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 04:47:26 PM »
Damit I want to use google so bad.
Bring back FFP!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 04:57:21 PM »
Damit I want to use google so bad.

Here's another clue, one school fit the profile and changed their nickname and STILL qualify for the answer. 

In total, there are 15 schools on the list, though some have a men's nickname that meets the requirement and a women's nickname that doesn't.  We're looking for the men's nicknames.  I am not counting UND Fighting Sioux in the count since that name was retired and they currently have no nickname.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 04:59:47 PM »
Kent State Flash, Bucknell Bison, Marshall Rolling Thunder, and there's gotta be a Lightning. That's all I got for now.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:01:56 PM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2014, 05:02:26 PM »
Thundering Herd?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 05:39:01 PM »

Stanford Cardinal does not count, because it is a color.  In fact, many on your list don't count.

Can you name them?

Here's a few starters

Navy Midshipmen
Illinois Fighting Illini

Elon Phoenix
Hofstra Pride
Is it Miami Hurricane or Hurricanes?
UMass Minutemen
Northern Kentucky Norse
Is it Liberty Flame or Flames?
UIC Fire? Flame? Flames? Don't remember
Is Robert Morris the Minutemen too? They are something like that
William and Mary Tribe

That's all I got (that others haven't gotten already)
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2014, 05:40:55 PM »
Kent State Flash, Bucknell Bison, Marshall Rolling Thunder, and there's gotta be a Lightning. That's all I got for now.

It's the Kent State Golden Flashes, so it doesn't count. Marshall is one of the schools but it's Thundering Herd. And suprisingly there is no D1 lightning as far as I know.
TAMU

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2014, 05:57:42 PM »
Harvard = Crimson
Uni of Chicago = Maroon
Cornell = Big Red
Dartmouth = Big Green

Coincidentally,  I have two brothers who went to Tennesee Tech and a sister-in-law thatwent to University of Southern Mississippi.  We may be the only family in the country that has graduates from three different schools whose nickname is The Golden Eagles.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2014, 06:03:18 PM »

Can you name them?

Here's a few starters

Navy Midshipmen
Illinois Fighting Illini

You forgot; it can't be an animal, either. I asked this trivia question a couple of years ago on this board.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2014, 06:11:51 PM »
  You forgot; it can't be an animal, either. I asked this trivia question a couple of years ago on this board.

I've never heard that one, I've always heard the one about color and no S.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2014, 06:15:32 PM »
I've never heard that one, I've always heard the one about color and no S.

It could have been during the time you were persona non grata on this board.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2014, 06:59:29 PM »
Elon Phoenix
Hofstra Pride
Is it Miami Hurricane or Hurricanes?
UMass Minutemen
Northern Kentucky Norse
Is it Liberty Flame or Flames?
UIC Fire? Flame? Flames? Don't remember
Is Robert Morris the Minutemen too? They are something like that
William and Mary Tribe

That's all I got (that others haven't gotten already)

Hurricanes, doesn't count.

Centenary Gentlemen
Bucknell Bison
UWGB Phoenix
Elon Phoenix
Nevada Wolfpack
NC State Wolf Pack
Hofstra Pride (formerly Hofstra Flying Dutchmen which also qualified)
Illinois Fighting Illini
UMASS Minutemen
Marshall Thundering Herd
Union Dutchmen
Navy Midshipmen
William and Mary Tribe
Northern Kentucky Norse

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2014, 06:59:52 PM »
It could have been during the time you were persona non grata on this board.

That's my current state as well.   ;)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2014, 07:03:50 PM »
That's my current state as well.   ;)

Oh, Chicos, you'll always be persona grata to me!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2014, 09:04:50 PM »
Hurricanes, doesn't count.

Centenary Gentlemen
Bucknell Bison
UWGB Phoenix
Elon Phoenix
Nevada Wolfpack
NC State Wolf Pack
Hofstra Pride (formerly Hofstra Flying Dutchmen which also qualified)
Illinois Fighting Illini
UMASS Minutemen
Marshall Thundering Herd
Union Dutchmen
Navy Midshipmen
William and Mary Tribe
Northern Kentucky Norse

Centenerary are no longer D1, no fair!
TAMU

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »
Centenerary are no longer D1, no fair!

Does The Chief know about this?

Actually, can we still call him The Chief?

Death on call

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2014, 09:32:55 PM »
I certainly hope so.                   Otherwise what do we do with   _ _ _ _ Council, Fire _ _ _ _ ,   _ _ _ _  Justice,
  _ _ _ _ of Police etc.?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2014, 09:39:48 PM »
Crimson Tide
SJU Storm

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2014, 10:04:24 PM »
I think the bottom line is that MU really misunderstood the power of branding. I have no idea about The Zizzo Group but MU lost a tremendous opportunity when it listened to those chuckleheads.

I have a few colleagues who went to RISD and they love the Scrotie Mascot. RISD is a superb school with an international reputation for excellence. They have fun with their mascot which has reinforced the school's position as a center for innovation, creativity, and avante garde thought. Marquette would do well to take notice. Gold was brutally mishandled and Golden Eagle is more than lame.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2014, 10:53:14 PM »
Crimson Tide
SJU Storm

Crimson is a color

Red storm....red is a color

Neither count

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2014, 11:44:35 PM »
This nickname would have been #2 behind Warriors with every other one miles behind. It had history (our football team was so nicknamed back in the day) and a unique/cool factor. Plus it would have forever enshrined the Avalanche Bar in spite of the administration tearing the joint down.

I spoke to cords during the whole lightning versus eagles debate and qwestioned him why they were choosing between two stupid nicknames and not just go with golden avalanche.  He stated that avalanche was rejected because they couldnt come up with a mascot.  So i asked him , well what a bout lightning which really has the same problem?  He couldnt answer me.  Didnt create much confidence in our leadership for me.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2014, 11:54:19 PM »
I spoke to cords during the whole lightning versus eagles debate and qwestioned him why they were choosing between two stupid nicknames and not just go with golden avalanche.  He stated that avalanche was rejected because they couldnt come up with a mascot.  So i asked him , well what a bout lightning which really has the same problem?  He couldnt answer me.  Didnt create much confidence in our leadership for me.

So because you pointed that out were the golden eagles... Jeeze thanks a lot!
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2014, 12:01:39 AM »
Crimson is a color

Red storm....red is a color

Neither count

But Roll Tide ain't!

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2014, 12:05:08 AM »
But Roll Tide ain't!

Correct, but that's not their official name.  Just like Ramblin Wreck of Georgia Tech doesn't count, or War Eagle for Auburn.  Has to be the official team name.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2014, 12:15:12 AM »
north dakota state bison
North Texas Mean Green?
Presbyterian Blue Hose
Nevada WOlf Pack
St. Francis Red FLash
Howard Bison
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:21:28 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2014, 12:58:47 AM »
north dakota state bison
North Texas Mean Green?
Presbyterian Blue Hose
Nevada WOlf Pack
St. Francis Red FLash
Howard Bison

Can't have a color in the name. Good call on the bison. I think everyone missed those
TAMU

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2014, 01:37:39 AM »
Anybody say the Fighting Sioux?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2014, 07:18:17 AM »
It's the Kent State Golden Flashes, so it doesn't count. Marshall is one of the schools but it's Thundering Herd. And suprisingly there is no D1 lightning as far as I know.

I recall during the dumping of the Warriors name, that Lightning was brought up that it would be unique to Marquette.  Chainsaw Al different ideas.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2014, 09:00:07 AM »
Anybody say the Fighting Sioux?

No longer the name...the Tolerance Lobby killed it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2014, 09:41:37 AM »
No longer the name...the Tolerance Lobby killed it.

And yet, somehow, the university didn't have to close its doors or shut down all of its sports programs.

Just as Marquette continued to exist and its athletic department became richer than ever.

Look, I wish we still were the Warriors, but the drama is so overdone.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2014, 09:46:45 AM »
And yet, somehow, the university didn't have to close its doors or shut down all of its sports programs.

Just as Marquette continued to exist and its athletic department became richer than ever.

Look, I wish we still were the Warriors, but the drama is so overdone.

Yeah I have learned a valuable lesson wrt the Marquette nickname debate.  It really isn't that big of a deal.  Like you, I would love to still be "Warriors."  But in the end, I just don't care all that much.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2014, 09:46:50 AM »
I spoke to cords during the whole lightning versus eagles debate and qwestioned him why they were choosing between two stupid nicknames and not just go with golden avalanche.  He stated that avalanche was rejected because they couldnt come up with a mascot.  So i asked him , well what a bout lightning which really has the same problem?  He couldnt answer me.  Didnt create much confidence in our leadership for me.

Yeah, I really don't understand why Hilltoppers and Golden Avalanche weren't seriously looked at back in 1993-1994. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

I understand and support the move from Warriors (don't want to get into that debate...frankly I'm sick of having it) but why they jumped to generic Golden Eagles vs. Lightning is mind boggling when they already had 2 historic nicknames with loads of tradition sitting in the stable waiting to be used.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2014, 09:50:54 AM »
Golden Avalanche was unique to the football team, and I don't think was ever official.  But yeah I agree with you Bleuteaux on all counts.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2014, 10:29:37 AM »

Yeah I have learned a valuable lesson wrt the Marquette nickname debate.  It really isn't that big of a deal.  Like you, I would love to still be "Warriors."  But in the end, I just don't care all that much.

Amen brother
TAMU

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2014, 10:51:26 AM »
Yeah, I really don't understand why Hilltoppers and Golden Avalanche weren't seriously looked at back in 1993-1994. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

I don't think the university wanted any connection to the Avalanche Bar, which they tore down a few years later. Alcohol consumption and naked beers slides didn't fit what the administration wanted to sell any better than Warriors did.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2014, 11:05:46 AM »
What's that quote in Miracle? The name on the front of the jersey is a heck of a lot more important than the one on the back.  I know that the mascot isn't on the back but the point is the name on the front of the jersey is what's important and that's always been Marquette no matter Blue and Gold, Hilltoppers, Warriors, Golden Avalanche, Golden Eagles, Gold and anything else we've been called. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »
I don't think the university wanted any connection to the Avalanche Bar, which they tore down a few years later. Alcohol consumption and naked beers slides didn't fit what the administration wanted to sell any better than Warriors did.

I guess, but that would be like UW not wanting Badgers because there was a bar on campus named "The Badger"

Just seems like a lame excuse

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2014, 01:25:26 PM »

Just what did Diulio have against Naked Coed Beer Slides?

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2014, 01:27:38 PM »
Just what did Diulio have against Naked Coed Beer Slides?

My graduating class made the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather for naked beer slides.  Good stuff.

DiUlio is a putz.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »
My graduating class made the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather for naked beer slides.  Good stuff.

DiUlio is a putz.

We were living in Hong Kong when we heard about Naked Beer Slides. I recall asking my wife why we never did that and she gave me one of those looks that said I was being an idiot.

Death on call