Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Al Renovation Rumors  (Read 34569 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Al Renovation Rumors
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 09:27:53 AM »
Hate to burst your bubble but McCormick isn't coming down anytime soon.  But you are certainly correct that its replacement remains a long term administration goal.  I just don't see it in the next 5 years minimum and I've been present for numerous presentations by Planning VP Tom Ganey.  One of the big problems is that the university would need the replacement beds already in place before it could come down.  We're not even close at this time. I do think MU remains open to the possibility of purchasing existing near campus residential structures if they ever become available on the open market.

I would even go so far as to say they prefer it.

That seems to be MU's MO...buy up old apartment buildings, hotels, or even hospitals (Abbottsford, McCabe, Straz, Humphrey, Mashuda, etc.) rather than build new. IIRC, McCormick, Schroeder and O'Donnell are the only remaining dorms actually constructed by the university as dorms from the start, and those were all built 40+ years ago. Everything since then has been purchased and remodeled.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 09:30:34 AM by Bleuteaux »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 09:38:04 AM »
Concur Bleu.  I simply try not to put too many words in their mouth.  It's not difficult at all to know what their two targets might be.  But remember it always takes two to tango.

I will note that MU was strongly in favor of the new privately funded apartment going up this summer on 14th and Wells.  Private investment in the community is encouraged so long as it fits MU's mission.  Had MU not liked the plan, I have little doubt that they would have purchased the parcel themselves.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 10:18:45 AM »
What about the old building that had Heg's that was torn down? Nothing has been done with it yet and it is right across from the Al. Surely they will want to do something there soon.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 10:22:32 AM »
Concur Bleu.  I simply try not to put too many words in their mouth.  It's not difficult at all to know what their two targets might be.  But remember it always takes two to tango.

I will note that MU was strongly in favor of the new privately funded apartment going up this summer on 14th and Wells.  Private investment in the community is encouraged so long as it fits MU's mission.  Had MU not liked the plan, I have little doubt that they would have purchased the parcel themselves.

Haven't been back for a while but where at 14th & Well's? Are they tearing down the old China Garden/Sweeney's?

Also, I have thought that if they really want new dorms just tear down O'Donnell. Finding temporary spaces for 300 students is a lot easier than the near 1000 in McCormick. Then build a new larger dorm where O'Donnell was. That way the new dorm can handle some of the displaces students when you go to replace the next one. (While this makes sense to me O'Donnell does hold a soft spot for me since it was my freshman dorm.)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 10:39:41 AM »
Haven't been back for a while but where at 14th & Well's? Are they tearing down the old China Garden/Sweeney's?

Yes, they tore down that whole strip mall.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 10:43:37 AM »
Don't make sophomores live on campus. Then you have ask the replacement housing you need in order to treat down and build new any building. It also allows Marquette to expand enrollment. If they add between 500 and 1000 students to the average freshmen class, they will be able to lower tuition.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 10:47:36 AM »
Don't make sophomores live on campus. Then you have ask the replacement housing you need in order to treat down and build new any building. It also allows Marquette to expand enrollment. If they add between 500 and 1000 students to the average freshmen class, they will be able to lower tuition.

Sounds like an easy solution, but I think that would be pretty controversial.

Having sophomores on campus is pretty important to Marquette. They talk about it quite a bit as being central to the school's mission. I don't think you can just flip that switch without a bunch of debate. I think it is a big part of their strategy on controlling underage drinking and drug use.

I really liked the 2 years on campus and 2 years off campus. I thought it was the perfect balance. Anymore than 2 years on campus I would have felt like a total weirdo, but any less I would felt like I would have missed out a bit on the whole dorm experience that is part of the overall college experience.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:55:31 AM by Bleuteaux »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 10:47:57 AM »
I know it's a trick legal maneuver these days, but what about eminent domain?  Granted, MU does not have its own eminent domain powers; however, I believe a recent SCOTUS decision no longer requires the ultimate beneficiary of an eminent domain taking to be a public entity (presuming that there is some sort of material benefit to the public in doing so).  So in theory, the city could condemn property north of Kilbourn - as an example - and turn around and sell it to MU or a private developer, no?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »

Having more students enrolled won't drop tuition. When I started in 1999 Marquette had 7000 undergrads and 10,000 plus total. Now they have 8000+ undergrads and 12,000 total students and tuition and room and board has more than doubled in those 15 years.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 10:55:34 AM »
I know it's a trick legal maneuver these days, but what about eminent domain?  Granted, MU does not have its own eminent domain powers; however, I believe a recent SCOTUS decision no longer requires the ultimate beneficiary of an eminent domain taking to be a public entity (presuming that there is some sort of material benefit to the public in doing so).  So in theory, the city could condemn property north of Kilbourn - as an example - and turn around and sell it to MU or a private developer, no?

This is why an armed and vigilant population was deemed essential by Mr. Jefferson

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 11:02:04 AM »

Also, I have thought that if they really want new dorms just tear down O'Donnell. Finding temporary spaces for 300 students is a lot easier than the near 1000 in McCormick. Then build a new larger dorm where O'Donnell was. That way the new dorm can handle some of the displaces students when you go to replace the next one. (While this makes sense to me O'Donnell does hold a soft spot for me since it was my freshman dorm.)

Wouldn't tear down OD after the investment in the "man cave".  But I agree if they were to build a dorm there, or expand it into the field next door to it then it'd be a great place for a new dorm. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 11:15:08 AM »
, they will be able to lower tuition.

There are three absolutes in life--death, taxes and colleges never lower tuition.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
This is why an armed and vigilant population was deemed essential by Mr. Jefferson

While I might concede that the population north of Kilbourn is likely armed.  I'm not certain that they can be considered capable of a vigilant state.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 11:29:10 AM »
There are three absolutes in life--death, taxes and colleges never lower tuition.

I'd like to see if they can flatten the curve on tuition increases.

I just don't think the way they are headed is sustainable, and something has to give.

I'd be more interested in cost-effective uses for current facilities vs building new or large scale remodels.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 11:43:01 AM »

Having sophomores on campus is pretty important to Marquette. They talk about it quite a bit as being central to the school's mission. I don't think you can just flip that switch without a bunch of debate. I think it is a big part of their strategy on controlling underage drinking and drug use.

I really liked the 2 years on campus and 2 years off campus. I thought it was the perfect balance. Anymore than 2 years on campus I would have felt like a total weirdo, but any less I would felt like I would have missed out a bit on the whole dorm experience that is part of the overall college experience.

If they did it, I would assume it would be a one year exception.  Let Sophomores live off campus the year of construction, and the freshman theoretically displaced from McCormick would use the extra space vacated by the sophomores choosing to live off campus.  Then the following year reinstate the old rule when you have the extra dorm space again.

McCormick has such a prominent location on campus, basically the entrance from the west, that it would be nice to have a more impressive looking building there as a landmark.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 12:11:42 PM »

it would be nice to have a more impressive looking building there as a landmark.

Bring back the Pabst Mansion

Death on call

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2014, 12:40:01 PM »
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »

Kelo v. New London.  Granted, taking by eminent domain is rare and I doubt MU would want the extremely bad press that would come along with that.  Not to mention, the only properties that would really qualify would be too far north anyway (past State or Highland.)

In terms of different comments about how to logistically tear down McCormick, doesn't it make sense to just build the new dorm on the parking lot site immediately north?  I know that parcel was supposed to include a twin McCormick tower way back when anyway, before funding disappeared.  MU could build the tower there, move students over when it's completed, and then tear down McCormick to replace with whatever.  I thought a multi-story Rec Center was an initial idea.

Anyway, obviously all very long-term things.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2014, 12:48:22 PM »
It hasn't left. http://www.pabstmansion.com/

Actually, I meant the Plankinton Mansion!

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2014, 01:06:18 PM »
Kelo v. New London.  Granted, taking by eminent domain is rare and I doubt MU would want the extremely bad press that would come along with that.  Not to mention, the only properties that would really qualify would be too far north anyway (past State or Highland.)

In terms of different comments about how to logistically tear down McCormick, doesn't it make sense to just build the new dorm on the parking lot site immediately north?  I know that parcel was supposed to include a twin McCormick tower way back when anyway, before funding disappeared.  MU could build the tower there, move students over when it's completed, and then tear down McCormick to replace with whatever.  I thought a multi-story Rec Center was an initial idea.

Anyway, obviously all very long-term things.

Thanks MU Curler.  I was going to state that.

You're right about bad press.  The whole reason for the imminent domain court case was for Pfizer.  Pfizer has a large manufacturing facility in Groton (the submarine capital of the world) and in the go-go pharmacy 90's they expanded by building a big research lab across the river in New London, right on the waterfront in the middle of residential neighborhood.  The state restored the next door historic Fort Trumbull as a tourist attraction and the city planned to redevelop the remainder of the neighborhood to make it more tourist & corporate friendly to complement Pfizer & the Fort.  Soon after the Supreme Court ruling Pfizer announced a worldwide reorganization and among the re-org would be the closing of the New London research facility.  Nothing ever got built in the neighborhood, but they did raze the houses.  I think a UConn branch location moved into the former Pfizer building which was the only thing keeping it from staying vacant.

Zombie45

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2014, 01:24:17 PM »
Between 19th and 20th and wisconsin and cylbourn. Other than miss Katie's and a new apartment building on the south side it is all parking lot, vacant space, and a church that no one ever goes to. I think you could plunk a decent facility on that land

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2014, 01:24:58 PM »
My suggestions for campus improvements?

New Dorm #1:  After building renovations are completed at Sensenbrenner & Marquette Halls, move the current tenants over.  Renovate the old 707 building into a dorm.  Structurally sound enough to add an extra floor I believe.

New Dorm #2:  Tear down the old Boiler Plant, Helfaer Building. Parent Child & Academic Support buildings located between 17th & 18th Sts., just East of Wells St.  Build a nice 5-10 story dorm.

New Dorm #3:  Build a nice 3-5 story dorm in place of the existing parking that is across from the AL.  Include underground parking so that the big wigs at Zilber & the AL have some place nice to park.

New Rec Center:  After the three new dorms are built, demo McCormick and the Weasler Auditorium parking lot.  Build a nice new Rec Center from Wisconsin to Wells in its place

New D1 Sports facility:  Renovate the old Rec Center into a decent D1 sports facility that could house the men’s & women’s tennis, cross country, track/field & lacrosse teams.  The men’s tennis team can use the old Humphrey hall practice space where the dance teams, etc., currently are.  All the men’s tennis team really needs is putting space and a driving net.  Also keeps the D1 sports teams closer to Valley Fields for when the weather is decent enough to venture outdoors.

The Old Gym:  Remove the two eye sores that diminishes the beauty of the old gym.  Turn the building into a MU sports museum.

New green space:  Level O’Donnell and build a nice outdoor space.  Something that the kids in Humphrey, Mashuda & new dorm #2 can use.

A space for the ROTC’s:  Build a small building to house the Air Force, Army & Navy ROTC’s where Haggerty’s use to be.  Include enough classroom space, a weight/training area & office space.

This will give MU three new/renovated dorms West of Wisconsin and close to student activities.  A much needed D1 sports facility South of Wisconsin Ave., a new Rec Center that will be North of Wisconsin Ave., and closer to student housing, some additional green space and gets the non-revenue producing D1 sports teams out of the basement of the old gym and gets the ROTC’s out of the dingy spaces they currently occupy and out of sight of the MU academic community.

All that is needed is the money earmarked to do so.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2014, 01:31:14 PM »

New Dorm #1:  After building renovations are completed at Sensenbrenner & Marquette Halls, move the current tenants over.  Renovate the old 707 building into a dorm.  Structurally sound enough to add an extra floor I believe.

New Dorm #2:  Tear down the old Boiler Plant, Helfaer Building. Parent Child & Academic Support buildings located between 17th & 18th Sts., just East of Wells St.  Build a nice 5-10 story dorm.

New Dorm #3:  Build a nice 3-5 story dorm in place of the existing parking that is across from the AL.  Include underground parking so that the big wigs at Zilber & the AL have some place nice to park.

New Rec Center:  After the three new dorms are built, demo McCormick and the Weasler Auditorium parking lot.  Build a nice new Rec Center from Wisconsin to Wells in its place

New D1 Sports facility:  Renovate the old Rec Center into a decent D1 sports facility that could house the men’s & women’s tennis, cross country, track/field & lacrosse teams.  The men’s tennis team can use the old Humphrey hall practice space where the dance teams, etc., currently are.  All the men’s tennis team really needs is putting space and a driving net.  Also keeps the D1 sports teams closer to Valley Fields for when the weather is decent enough to venture outdoors.

The Old Gym:  Remove the two eye sores that diminishes the beauty of the old gym.  Turn the building into a MU sports museum.

New green space:  Level O’Donnell and build a nice outdoor space.  Something that the kids in Humphrey, Mashuda & new dorm #2 can use.

A space for the ROTC’s:  Build a small building to house the Air Force, Army & Navy ROTC’s where Haggerty’s use to be.  Include enough classroom space, a weight/training area & office space.

This will give MU three new/renovated dorms West of Wisconsin and close to student activities.  A much needed D1 sports facility South of Wisconsin Ave., a new Rec Center that will be North of Wisconsin Ave., and closer to student housing, some additional green space and gets the non-revenue producing D1 sports teams out of the basement of the old gym and gets the ROTC’s out of the dingy spaces they currently occupy and out of sight of the MU academic community.

This is a reasonable plan. We need to expand our endowment to make this happen.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2014, 01:40:16 PM »

+1.  Not happening.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2014, 01:50:01 PM »

Truthfully, student resident housing is notoriously difficult to fund.  I really think Bleu's strategy of picking up and renovating existing residential space is the likely first alternative.  And one thing I think you're forgetting is Phase 2 of the Engineering building.  That's already on the agenda.  Same with the Den school.  Lastly, there are considerable university wide cutbacks underway as part of the overall strategic plan.  And not government style 'slow the growth' cutbacks.  MU has erected a great deal of brick and mortar in the last 10 years starting with Raynor.  It's going to slow.  Promise.