collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Top 5 Ski Mountains  (Read 20074 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Top 5 Ski Mountains
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2014, 02:53:59 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mptT4YDAsZg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mptT4YDAsZg</a>

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2014, 03:03:46 PM »
You're a Canuck?  Are we allowed to say that, some people find it very offensive...of course there is a sports team named after the Canucks.   ;)

I answered some of this on the "Dago" comments.

Like the Bill Murray line from Stripes, "We're American's and we're all mutts.  Look even his nose is still wet."

My mom's side of the family is all Italian and even that's fragmented into Neapolitan via my maternal grandmother and Sicilian via my maternal grandfather.
My dad's dad immigrated straight from Québec and my dad's mom was of Polish descent.

I think I'm generationally too far away from being offended.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2014, 03:14:30 PM »
do you also know Phi McCracken?

We're Highlanders. Sounds like a Lowlander to me...

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2014, 03:18:51 PM »
I answered some of this on the "Dago" comments.

Like the Bill Murray line from Stripes, "We're American's and we're all mutts.  Look even his nose is still wet."

My mom's side of the family is all Italian and even that's fragmented into Neapolitan via my maternal grandmother and Sicilian via my maternal grandfather.
My dad's dad immigrated straight from Québec and my dad's mom was of Polish descent.

I think I'm generationally too far away from being offended.

Just playing with you and agree mostly.  I'm a Dutch Kraut mostly, with a bit of the Queen's English.  My wife's side, German French Irish....they like to get their drink on. 

I actually think most people don't get that offended, but there is a cottage industry of folks that do and will do everything they can to gin up support to make sure others are aware of how offended they are or should be. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2014, 08:11:06 PM »
Just playing with you and agree mostly.  I'm a Dutch Kraut mostly, with a bit of the Queen's English.  My wife's side, German French Irish....they like to get their drink on. 

I actually think most people don't get that offended, but there is a cottage industry of folks that do and will do everything they can to gin up support to make sure others are aware of how offended they are or should be. 

I showed up to my first F 16 squadron in Misawa, Japan. Our squadron tactical call sign was Shogun and our patch was a samurai in front of a Torii. I was gravely offended by the use of all of these cliché cultural stereotypes so I went VFR Direct to my squadron commander to voice my displeasure. He told me to shut the f uck up and I was assigned kitchen duty for the next six months...

Actually, in truth, I embraced the samurai heritage of our local nation hosts and my own DNA and was proud to fly Block 5 Vipers for the World Famous Fightin' Shoguns in defense of the Truth, Justice, and the American Way. My own initial call sign was most definitely a play on my ethnicity and I took it for the clear message of acceptance that is was.

One can take things in the spirit in which they are intended or one can seek out a fight. If I had bitched about either my own call sign or the unit's use of clichéd Japanese warrior imagery Mother Air Force would have had to unleash the JAGs and there would have been a formal investigation. This might have resulted in a massive overhaul of every Unit patch, logo, and heraldry in Japan, the Philippines, Korea, Germany, UK and every where else God saw fit to station His Most Blessed Air Force. My reward would have been a really sh1tty 30 months in that squadron, I never would have worn Rail Road tracks, and my star wearing old man would have hunted me down on horseback for being an a$$hole.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2014, 09:03:59 PM »
My family is the French equivalent - the first boat of settlers from France to Québec.  

That's actually very cool, Nutmeg. I have read accounts of the Acadian experience from initial landing to the resettlement in Louisiana. Those first souls in the Maritimes and Quebec were hardy souls.

I also admire the work of the French Jesuits who formed the more noble aspect of the French Civilizing Mission which characterized France's colonial experience. Our own lives were touched by this through the Joliet expedition and Fr Marquette.

For some reason the story of the Jesuit Martyrs in New France has always stayed with me. In particular, I recall reading in my youth accounts of how the Iroquois treated captured Jesuits. Fr Jogues had all of his fingers bitten off and Fr de Brebeuf had his eyes burned out with flaming sticks. I never figured out why we were taught such morbid details but as boys we discussed these stories at recess with great relish.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2014, 10:01:33 PM »
I showed up to my first F 16 squadron in Misawa, Japan. Our squadron tactical call sign was Shogun and our patch was a samurai in front of a Torii. I was gravely offended by the use of all of these cliché cultural stereotypes so I went VFR Direct to my squadron commander to voice my displeasure. He told me to shut the f uck up and I was assigned kitchen duty for the next six months...

Actually, in truth, I embraced the samurai heritage of our local nation hosts and my own DNA and was proud to fly Block 5 Vipers for the World Famous Fightin' Shoguns in defense of the Truth, Justice, and the American Way. My own initial call sign was most definitely a play on my ethnicity and I took it for the clear message of acceptance that is was.

One can take things in the spirit in which they are intended or one can seek out a fight. If I had bitched about either my own call sign or the unit's use of clichéd Japanese warrior imagery Mother Air Force would have had to unleash the JAGs and there would have been a formal investigation. This might have resulted in a massive overhaul of every Unit patch, logo, and heraldry in Japan, the Philippines, Korea, Germany, UK and every where else God saw fit to station His Most Blessed Air Force. My reward would have been a really sh1tty 30 months in that squadron, I never would have worn Rail Road tracks, and my star wearing old man would have hunted me down on horseback for being an a$$hole.

Don't worry someone will take up that cause.  I'm waiting for the day when they have forced tattoo removal on humans that don't comply because someone will be offended.  In my lifetime?  Probably.

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2014, 11:29:41 AM »
-Big Sky (Lone Mtn. so picturesque)
-Telluride (ta hell u ride, and great western town)
-Snowmass (big, great variety of runs)
-Snowbird (great spring skiing)
-Beaver Creek (actually like runs/layout better than Vail)

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2014, 11:40:49 AM »
I'm going to add a least favorite: Breckenridge, CO. A lot of people go nuts over Breck which I've never really understood. Maybe it's the family friendly thing or the fact that there's a lot of trees (my brothers love skiing in the trees) but to me it was way too flat. The few times I've boarded there I wasn't impressed. 

Just my two cents.
Bring back FFP!!!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2014, 12:23:58 PM »
That's actually very cool, Nutmeg. I have read accounts of the Acadian experience from initial landing to the resettlement in Louisiana. Those first souls in the Maritimes and Quebec were hardy souls.

I also admire the work of the French Jesuits who formed the more noble aspect of the French Civilizing Mission which characterized France's colonial experience. Our own lives were touched by this through the Joliet expedition and Fr Marquette.

For some reason the story of the Jesuit Martyrs in New France has always stayed with me. In particular, I recall reading in my youth accounts of how the Iroquois treated captured Jesuits. Fr Jogues had all of his fingers bitten off and Fr de Brebeuf had his eyes burned out with flaming sticks. I never figured out why we were taught such morbid details but as boys we discussed these stories at recess with great relish.

Strangely coincidental, I was reading the latest Yankee Magazine at lunch time and there's an article on the Acadians of Maine.  The article has photos from the annual Acadian festival in Madawaska that includes a photo of group entering the festival behind a banner bearing my family name.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
Strangely coincidental, I was reading the latest Yankee Magazine at lunch time and there's an article on the Acadians of Maine.  The article has photos from the annual Acadian festival in Madawaska that includes a photo of group entering the festival behind a banner bearing my family name.

There was a Quebecois restaurant in QC that specialized in traditional Acadia fare. My wife loved that place despite some unusual offerings. I loved the insight into how a people adapted to new surroundings and forged a cultural identity. The first Acadians scratched and clawed for survival in an unforgiving environment.

I have spent time in the field under primitive circumstances but I had the psychological advantage in knowing that in x days a helo was taking me back to hot food, showers, and an actual toilet. The Acadians were all in; there was no helo coming to get them. A person can go cold, hungry, thirsty, and uncomfortable for a long time when there is a known end to the misery. With pioneers there is no light and the tunnel can stretch for generations. The human spirit is always amazing.

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2014, 01:53:25 PM »

Are you part of the "Billeterie" family or the "Salle de Bain" clan?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2014, 02:05:13 PM »
Here in New England you always know someone who have the special distinction of being Mayflower descendants.

My family is the French equivalent - the first boat of settlers from France to Québec.  

I'm always greeted with a "Welcome home." (Bienvenue maison.) and sometimes gotten hotel upgrades or something compted at dinner.  
Surprisingly, my Aunt & Uncle on a capitol tour in Ottawa were given a special bonus tour to include the Prime Minister's office as well as the usually non-tourist areas of the parliament building.  (Of course, this goes way back and may have even been early 80s when Trudeau was PM.)

I'm mostly German and Swedish on both sides of the family, but my direct lineage is actually Dutch and I'm the direct descendent of one of the families that swindled Manhattan island from the natives.  Also a direct descendent of an courier for George Washington during the Revolution.  Also interesting to go back to Valley Forge and see my Great Great Great Great Great Grandfather's name on some plaques there.

There were also a bunch of swindlers, horse thieves and ne'er do wells in the tree but we don't like to talk about them.   ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »
I'm mostly German and Swedish on both sides of the family, but my direct lineage is actually Dutch and I'm the direct descendent of one of the families that swindled Manhattan island from the natives.  Also a direct descendent of an courier for George Washington during the Revolution.  Also interesting to go back to Valley Forge and see my Great Great Great Great Great Grandfather's name on some plaques there.

There were also a bunch of swindlers, horse thieves and ne'er do wells in the tree but we don't like to talk about them.   ;D

I also have the Dutch lineage.  Though we're not your dirty, swindling Manhattan Dutch; we're more your foul-smelling, drunken Albany Dutch.

I remember my father-in-law (first generation American) introducing me to a family friend of his from Kentucky several years back; actually, it was the way he introduced his friend's wife... she was a Daughter of the Revolution, as though we were in the presence of royalty, clearly in awe that her family had been in the US since the mid 1700s.  I turned to my wife and rolled my eyes, but didn't say a word about my family having arrived about 100 years earlier.

On the East Coast, it's hard to turn around somewhere without running into someone of colonial ancestry, but in Chicago, it's almost the complete opposite.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2014, 02:49:39 PM »
Are you part of the "Billeterie" family or the "Salle de Bain" clan?

Ticketing or Bathrooms?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2014, 04:54:30 PM »
I also have the Dutch lineage.  Though we're not your dirty, swindling Manhattan Dutch; we're more your foul-smelling, drunken Albany Dutch.

I remember my father-in-law (first generation American) introducing me to a family friend of his from Kentucky several years back; actually, it was the way he introduced his friend's wife... she was a Daughter of the Revolution, as though we were in the presence of royalty, clearly in awe that her family had been in the US since the mid 1700s.  I turned to my wife and rolled my eyes, but didn't say a word about my family having arrived about 100 years earlier.

On the East Coast, it's hard to turn around somewhere without running into someone of colonial ancestry, but in Chicago, it's almost the complete opposite.

Yep, it's all on my dad's side and they are all Pennsylvanians (Philly and the Poconos area).  My mom's side is all german and swedish and not a one of them were here until the 1860s and all went to Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Always enjoy the time out on the east coast when somebody gets snobbish about having ancestors fight in the French and Indian Wars :)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2014, 05:46:58 PM »
I'm the direct descendent of one of the families that swindled Manhattan island from the natives

You must be related to Clan Chico!

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2014, 11:00:48 PM »
Ticketing or Bathrooms?

Sorry, bad joke.  Apparently the Acadian Festival doesn't have banners near the festival entrance directing goers to the ticket booth or bathrooms.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2014, 11:37:27 PM »

Timely   http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3172418/posts

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2014, 12:05:41 AM »
Timely   http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3172418/posts

I think the USAF cleaned up its culture long before Naval Aviation for many reasons, not the least of which is that we brought women into the cockpit much sooner than did Naval Air. Even after Tailhook there continued to be throw back behavior in both fighter communities but it was more pervasive in the Naval Air Force.

When I first went in there was full on smut on the walls of the maintenance spaces, guys watched porn tapes while standing the alert, Wednesday night was Stripper Night at the O Club, women were targets of opportunity, and there was no excuse for not attending the incessant beer busts that were called for the slightest reason. It was a masculine world with battle hardened traditions that were expected to be upheld and carried on. Fortunately, I had a wife who established some pretty clear ground rules so I avoided a lot of the silliness that transpired as alcohol fogged judgment and decision-making but I saw a lot of guys do some bone-headed things to themselves and others over the years.

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2014, 07:33:33 AM »

I may have been misinformed, as Google informs me the actual date is 1640 which may not have been first but certainly early. 

As a side note when I was a 16 year old exchange student visiting France for a month in LeMans, unbeknownst at the time to me, on the way to Normandy our tour bus made a 30min stop to visit one of William the Conqueror's many castles and it resided in the region the relatives left France for Quebec.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
I think the USAF cleaned up its culture long before Naval Aviation for many reasons, not the least of which is that we brought women into the cockpit much sooner than did Naval Air. Even after Tailhook there continued to be throw back behavior in both fighter communities but it was more pervasive in the Naval Air Force.

When I first went in there was full on smut on the walls of the maintenance spaces, guys watched porn tapes while standing the alert, Wednesday night was Stripper Night at the O Club, women were targets of opportunity, and there was no excuse for not attending the incessant beer busts that were called for the slightest reason. It was a masculine world with battle hardened traditions that were expected to be upheld and carried on. Fortunately, I had a wife who established some pretty clear ground rules so I avoided a lot of the silliness that transpired as alcohol fogged judgment and decision-making but I saw a lot of guys do some bone-headed things to themselves and others over the years.

I think it's a fascinating study on culture and the origination of the services.  My dad's side of the family all served in the army as couriers or cavalry until the air corp popped up and then they all became zoomies.  My mom's side including my mom were all swabbies going back to the 1860s.  It's fascinating to see the cultures ingrained even within the family.

I completely agree that NAVAIR has always been way filthier than the Air Force, I think that is a natural extension of the Navy being the filthiest of the services.  Think about it, if you are in the Navy serving at sea you are untouchable by anyone but your captain for 9-12 months at a time.  Prior to women serving you wouldn't have that "check" on your behavior for 12 months.  It's been that way for 250 years(even longer if you count the British Navy).

The Air services are renegades by nature since their inception and so kind of have that boys club mentality cooked in as well.  You combine the navy mentality with the air mentality and you get a pretty out of control NAVAIR.  Not saying it's right, but its a long process to walk back some of that heritage.

In order of filth, I think it goes Army, Air Force, Marines, Black Shoe Navy, Brown Shoe Navy.  I would carve out a special place for bubbleheads...they aren't filthy so much as down right weird.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2014, 10:55:19 AM »
I think it's a fascinating study on culture and the origination of the services.  My dad's side of the family all served in the army as couriers or cavalry until the air corp popped up and then they all became zoomies.  My mom's side including my mom were all swabbies going back to the 1860s.  It's fascinating to see the cultures ingrained even within the family.

I completely agree that NAVAIR has always been way filthier than the Air Force, I think that is a natural extension of the Navy being the filthiest of the services.  Think about it, if you are in the Navy serving at sea you are untouchable by anyone but your captain for 9-12 months at a time.  Prior to women serving you wouldn't have that "check" on your behavior for 12 months.  It's been that way for 250 years(even longer if you count the British Navy).

The Air services are renegades by nature since their inception and so kind of have that boys club mentality cooked in as well.  You combine the navy mentality with the air mentality and you get a pretty out of control NAVAIR.  Not saying it's right, but its a long process to walk back some of that heritage.

In order of filth, I think it goes Army, Air Force, Marines, Black Shoe Navy, Brown Shoe Navy.  I would carve out a special place for bubbleheads...they aren't filthy so much as down right weird.

I know another major factor in the hard living pilot lifestyle is that the early days of military aviation were brutal in terms of Class Alpha mishaps. The likelihood of "buying the farm" was higher than in any other chosen field of endeavor - in fact the term 'buying the farm' is from military aviation because Uncle Sam would have to write a check to farmers for damages after a pilot crashed in their fields.

Because of the inherent dangers and ridiculously high fatality rates there emerged a culture of pilots cramming as much fun into their existence as possible. Since they were always young men this centered on overindulging in those passions and hungers that absorb so much of a young man's attention.

Having spent 2 years on a carrier I could see another dynamic at play with Naval aviators - life at sea is a 24/7 marathon of deprivation in an all male, completely dry environment. So when the battle group dropped anchor in Subic, Pattaya, Perth, or Hong Kong you had thousands of thirsty, horny men looking to rectify their deprived status. Throw in the fact that they know they have to cram months of fun into a week and you had full on Animal House behavior.

And while aviation has become safer than the earliest days it is still a damned dangerous line of work. The only way a military pilot can get life insurance is through USAA - nobody else will touch you.

When I first joined my F 16 squadron at Misawa the coffee mess guy asked me for $200 for the "Mort Fund." He explained that when a pilot in the squadron dies everyone meets at the O Club. A photo of the deceased is placed on the bar and everyone drinks to his memory. These sessions last hours, a lot of alcohol is consumed, and the Mort Fund covers the tab. And while this custom may sound strange to outsiders it is an indispensable component of the warrior culture and a vital psychological comfort knowing that you will never be forgotten.

How many jobs ask you to contribute to your own wake as part of the on-boarding process? I think that summarizes the context for the fighter pilot mentality rather well.     

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2014, 09:02:15 PM »
I have gotten some emails from a ski club I belong to and they had some notes on Fernie. I listed Fernie among my top 5 and these pics should illustrate that assessment. I cannot wait to get into some powder.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2014, 08:54:59 AM »
Tell me more about Brule and the surrounding area.  Thinking of taking the family there next season.  Took the kids for their first skiing lesson in February .. need to get them on the hills for a longer period.

Brule is ok.

There are lots of good hills in the UP. My favorites are Indianhead, Big Powderhorn, and Blackjack.