[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]Buzz offers his explanation for MU departure  (Read 15780 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: [PaintTouches]Buzz offers his explanation for MU departure
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 01:54:30 PM »
Does derailing a thread that wasn't about Crean into a discussion that has been had ad nauseam ever get tiresome to you? 

Probably a stupid question on my part......

I don't believe I derailed it.  I responded to a comment about winning it all.  Feel free to put me on ignore, it's really simple.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »
Only one coach since Al got us into the last weekend.

One of the most shameful night's in the long, proud, storied history of our beloved Warriors. To be humiliated in such convincing fashion in so public a venue with a roster laden with NBA talent made it not just hurtful but hateful.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 02:10:02 PM »
One of the most shameful night's in the long, proud, storied history of our beloved Warriors. To be humiliated in such convincing fashion in so public a venue with a roster laden with NBA talent made it not just hurtful but hateful.

Shameful, nah.  I enjoyed the fact we were there for the first time 25+ years.  I guess Kansas didn't have any NBA talent (4 of their 5 starters played in the NBA) and were ranked #2 in the country for kicks.   ;)

brandx

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 03:13:09 PM »
Back to the topic at hand - excellent article, Andrei.

3Mer

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 03:14:21 PM »
I'm trying to picture Brent's interview at VT:

Q: So why are you interested in coaching here?
A: Because I've set the bar so high at MU that I anticipate getting fired for failing to meet expectations.
Q: So you plan to set a lower bar at VT that you can consistently exceed?
A: Exactly.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2014, 03:20:50 PM »

A: Because I've set the bar so high at MU that I anticipate getting fired for failing to meet expectations.

priceless!

AlumKCof93

• All American
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 03:36:23 PM »
"Odd Duck"; "Quirky"; "Strange". Here is the real deal:

Phony.

Somethin' he has in common with his predecessor at MU, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 03:38:32 PM »

The key for Buzz was taking over 45 minutes to say this while incorporating a reference to every profession ever mentioned in every children's story ever written.  At the end, VT officials were so confused (and impressed he could do it in one breath) that they offered him the job on the spot.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2014, 03:46:54 PM »
Chew is on Buzz's staff, family is in the process of relocating to Blacksburg.  #DONEDEAL

SOURCE???

Death on call

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2014, 03:56:48 PM »

Somethin' he has in common with his predecessor at MU, aina?
Yup--what is your point? One phony excuses the other?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 05:42:23 PM »
Does derailing a thread that wasn't about Crean into a discussion that has been had ad nauseam ever get tiresome to you? 

Probably a stupid question on my part......

You only have five posts, yet you already know Chicos' shtick   ;D

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »
Maybe, but he was the only coach we've had since Al that had me thinking we could win it all.

#AllInOnWojo

Yes, he was successful. But then he tried to throw the program under the bus on his way out the door which kinda throws some cold water on that success. The good news is we got Wojo out of all of it!
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2014, 07:16:28 PM »
I find that many "numbers guys" throw out numbers that don't matter or are not understood.

I also find that some people who work a ton are incredibly inefficient.

When someone talks about "the seven days to sign guys in the early signing period", it's an indication of... something. (paraphrasing the quote; and, it's eight days)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2014, 07:27:23 PM »
Yup--what is your point? One phony excuses the other?

My point is Bumstead learned from the mother of all phonies durin' the year he was an assistant.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2014, 07:47:02 PM »

My point is Bumstead learned from the mother of all phonies durin' the year he was an assistant.
Oh, I see. Buzz learned his schtick from Crean. Very Sherlockian.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2014, 08:00:09 PM »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2014, 09:06:49 PM »

And that's why he'll be a builder and not an elite program coach: he can recruit enough to be successful, but he doesn't have the will enough to withstand the bumps that comes along with being an elite program coach.

As Buzz continues to think of himself as a high-priced free agent coach, he's eventually going to price himself out.
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »

Absolutely f ucking perfect!

Death on call

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2014, 10:18:19 PM »
Since the switch to FS1 from ESPN seemed to bother Buzz a lot, it made me forget how much was the difference between the offers from ESPN and Fox? Was it substantial?

When the switch was made, i do remember being quite leery of leaving sports giant ESPN for a basically start up sports station in FS1.

For as annoying as ESPN can be with some of it's shows, i gotta admit that they are who i mostly watch for a numbers of things from highlights, shows like NFL Live/Baseball Tonight, to sporting events. On the flip side, i can't recall ever watching anything on FS1 besides a Marquette game.

I didn't post this as any sort of excuse for Buzz bolting to take a less pressure job, but in general, do most people here think switching from ESPN to FS1 is largely irrelevant either way as to whether the new Big East  and Marquette will thrive going forward, was a positive for the league/MU, or a negative?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2014, 12:36:46 AM »
Since the switch to FS1 from ESPN seemed to bother Buzz a lot, it made me forget how much was the difference between the offers from ESPN and Fox? Was it substantial?

When the switch was made, i do remember being quite leery of leaving sports giant ESPN for a basically start up sports station in FS1.

For as annoying as ESPN can be with some of it's shows, i gotta admit that they are who i mostly watch for a numbers of things from highlights, shows like NFL Live/Baseball Tonight, to sporting events. On the flip side, i can't recall ever watching anything on FS1 besides a Marquette game.

I didn't post this as any sort of excuse for Buzz bolting to take a less pressure job, but in general, do most people here think switching from ESPN to FS1 is largely irrelevant either way as to whether the new Big East  and Marquette will thrive going forward, was a positive for the league/MU, or a negative?

Well, the Duderino needs to get his sh1t together and get with the program

Death on call

source?

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2014, 03:42:59 AM »

If I'm not mistaken we were looking at less than half the money from ESPN. The AAC received around half of what we got from FS1, and that was for both football and basketball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2014, 05:44:54 AM »
If I'm not mistaken we were looking at less than half the money from ESPN. The AAC received around half of what we got from FS1, and that was for both football and basketball.

Where did you hear that??

Death on call

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »
I'm a little late to the game on this one, but I'll add my armchair pysch. analysis.

#1 He's always going to view himself as the kid at the JUCO sweeping floors. He's told that story a million times, and he really believes its who he is. No matter how much money he makes. No matter how many wins he gets. Buzz is always going to view himself as the underdog. I don't know if this is good or bad, but it's how the dude is built.

#2 Buzz is excellent at overperforming in his role. In just about every position he's ever held, he's overperformed. This is going on 20 years.

#3 When Buzz meets resistance or criticism, it's VERY hard on him. He takes veiled shots at critics through the media, and I'm sure he lashes out behind the scenes. He takes this stuff very personally. At both NEO and MU, Buzz took some heat when his teams underperformed, and that clearly frustrated him to the point of looking elsewhere (among other reasons). 

#4 Buzz might not be cut out for a true "high-major" program, because it's very hard to overperform at those programs. I don't know if his personality would be able to handle a couple "down years" at a place like Kentucky. The expectations at the high level programs are nearly impossible to meet, and Buzz would literally go crazy if people were critiquing a team that "only" went to the S16 or E8.

#5 Buzz is a basketball mercenary. I think he does believe in what he preaches, but I also think he knows the life of a professional coach. Very few coaches ever "retire". They are almost always fired. With this said, I think he has an interesting approach to his career path. He might be a genius, he might be an idiot. I can't tell yet. Either way, it's unique.

feedback