[Today at 12:54:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU in Five Up Five Down  (Read 1842 times)

TempoFree

• Walk-On
MU in Five Up Five Down
« on: November 16, 2015, 03:35:27 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/14142658/five-five-looks-best-worst-opening-weekend

Mentioned in FIVE UP:

Henry Ellenson, Marquette
Steve Wojciechowski's prized freshman went for 21 points and 16 rebounds in his debut. Sure, it was in a losing effort. However, Ellenson is the real deal and has been overshadowed coming into the season by guys such as LSU's Ben Simmons, Kentucky's Skal Labissiere and Cal's Jaylen Brown. Ellenson is 6-foot-11, 245 pounds and extremely skilled. One NBA scout I spoke to compared Ellenson's game to that of Kevin Love due to his ability to make shots from the perimeter and also rebound at a high level.

Mentioned in FIVE DOWN:

Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech
Remember when Buzz was one of the hottest young coaches in the country -- and was relevant? Well, last year the Hokies were supposed to be bad. But there's no excuse for losing at home to Alabama State. None.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: MU in Five Up Five Down
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 03:50:31 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/14142658/five-five-looks-best-worst-opening-weekend

Mentioned in FIVE UP:

Henry Ellenson, Marquette
Steve Wojciechowski's prized freshman went for 21 points and 16 rebounds in his debut. Sure, it was in a losing effort. However, Ellenson is the real deal and has been overshadowed coming into the season by guys such as LSU's Ben Simmons, Kentucky's Skal Labissiere and Cal's Jaylen Brown. Ellenson is 6-foot-11, 245 pounds and extremely skilled. One NBA scout I spoke to compared Ellenson's game to that of Kevin Love due to his ability to make shots from the perimeter and also rebound at a high level.

Mentioned in FIVE DOWN:

Remember when Buzz was one of the hottest young coaches in the country -- and was relevant? Well, last year the Hokies were supposed to be bad. But there's no excuse for losing at home to Alabama State. None.

You know for all the Kevin Love comparisons I feel the best comparison is probably Ben Simmons. Sometimes I read reports on Simmons that are pretty much exactly what I've read about Ellenson. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 04:23:46 PM »
You know for all the Kevin Love comparisons I feel the best comparison is probably Ben Simmons. Sometimes I read reports on Simmons that are pretty much exactly what I've read about Ellenson.

As accurate as that may be, we all know the comparison rules. Henry can only be compared to other big white guys, so he's either Dirk Nowitzki or Kevin Love, or if you want to go old school, maybe (if we're lucky) Larry Bird.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 05:01:12 PM »
Danny Manning. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 05:02:34 PM »
Danny Manning.

Hadn't thought of Manning - but that may be the best comp I've seen so far.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 05:05:55 PM »
I don't believe in sticking to the rules.    And Manning was a 6'11 forward who, before his bad knees slowed him down, was a multi-dimensional forward who could post, lead the break, pass, hit jumpers.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 05:24:24 PM »
As accurate as that may be, we all know the comparison rules. Henry can only be compared to other big white guys, so he's either Dirk Nowitzki or Kevin Love, or if you want to go old school, maybe (if we're lucky) Larry Bird.
If Henry turns out to be as good as Bird, we will all have henry woodies. Bird was far better than Dirk or Love. The gut could shoot, rebound, pass, and was a huge stud. Best Mo. Valley player ever, outside of the Big O.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 05:45:10 PM »

Larry Bird? Now that's crazy talk. We're talking about a top 10-15 all time player.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »

Mentioned in FIVE DOWN:

Sorry to focus on the negative part of the quote, but i used to like that Buzz scheduled SWAC teams like Alabama State an hour down the road from me. I knew it killed our RPI, but in light of their history in giving African-Americans a chance when segregation denied them I always want those schools to prosper.

But to actually have one of their underfunded programs come in and beat Buzz on his home court - wow. Congrats to Alabama State.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

feedback