2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oregon responds to Sexual Assault allegations  (Read 11695 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Oregon responds to Sexual Assault allegations
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2014, 07:12:08 AM »
So multiple folks INSISTED
that basketball players weren't involved? I don't recall people INSISTING that. I'll eagerly await the quotes from all these folks.

+1.  Post the links.  Otherwise you are simply exaggerating...yet again.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 07:12:51 AM »
The problem for Marquette, however, is that the Chicago Tribune ran a front page article on sexual violence involving the Marquette basketball team and the CBS affiliate in Chicago ran a news report of the armed robberies/shooting.

Ball is in Marquette's court. I suggest they study the UO case handling and act accordingly. To say nothing is foolish if not irrational.

Of course saying nothing is foolish...of course that's not what Marquette did.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 07:17:53 AM »

Of course saying nothing is foolish...of course that's not what Marquette did.

Good point. I should have said Marquette has said nothing substantive or meaningful. Frankly, I know John McAdams and I respect his keen intellect. His authority on this matter should resonate with anyone concerned with how our alma mater has chosen to deal with some very serious issues. Prof. McAdam's final paragraph puts it best:

"Bureaucratic make-work, in other words, can’t substitute for actual moral integrity. The latter has been sorely lacking at Marquette."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-06-21/sports/ct-met-marquette-sex-assaults-20110621_1_sexual-assault-sexual-attack-allegation-crimes

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-11-10/news/chi-us-education-department-investigates-marquettes-response-to-sex-assault-allegations-against-athletes-20111110_1_assault-allegations-marquette-athletes-federal-investigation

http://www.mu-warrior.blogspot.com/2013/04/hypocrisy-marquette-on-sexual-assault.html
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:29:12 AM by keefe »

Death on call

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 08:04:04 AM »
I sometimes wonder why I join the fray here. 

Let's begin with this.  Marquette mishandled the alleged sexual assault issue a couple years back based on a well intentioned internal policy that after careful review by both the university and the district attorney turned out to be a violation of the law.  That situation and policy has now been corrected and anytime there is any allegation of sexual misconduct MPD is notified in accordance with the law.  And at least one friend of mine lost his job.

Over the past 10 days, exactly 14 DPS cruisers were on the streets during the critical evening/overnight hours.  I'm told that high ranking MPD officials have described the MU campus as among the safest inner city areas within Milwaukee.  Perfect no.  Security was so thick during move out yesterday that you could set a flat screen TV on the curb and be assured that an armed MPD or DPS officer had it in sight at all times.  There were truly boots on the ground every inch around every dorm.  I personally thanked 2.  That cost a sh*t load of money.  Moreover, MU's current policy is to maintain a massive show of force until they can get students home following exams, Senior Week, and graduation and THEN to take some time over the summer to more thoughtfully consider the issue.  I know this for fact based on direct conversations 18 hours ago.

There.  Anything else?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 08:31:51 AM »
So multiple folks INSISTED
that basketball players weren't involved? I don't recall people INSISTING that. I'll eagerly await the quotes from all these folks.

Since you're so very eager, here's one of them to refresh your failing memory:

So, while you don't know if anybody is guilty of anything, you do know that their behavior is awful. Got it.

1. While the initial sex assault claim is troubling, we'll have to wait to see where that goes. I think we're all hoping it was an act of stupid behavior, not criminal behavior. That seems to be where the university has come down on it and, unless you believe there's been some sort of conspiracy to hide the truth, there's no reason to doubt them at this point.

2. We don't even know that the second claim involves a baskeball player. Jumping to conclusions, perhaps?

3. Vander Blue getting into a fight is dumb. It's also not atypical for young men of that age, and he's hardly the first MU hoops player - nor will he be the last - to be involved in a scrap with another student. Why his has been more publicized than some others, I don't know. But I'm not terribly troubled by it.

Chicos is correct--there were people that ran with the theme of insisting that we didn't know if basketball players were involved.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 09:02:11 AM »
Chicos is correct--there were people that ran with the theme of insisting that we didn't know if basketball players were involved.

No, no....that isn't what Chicos said.

He said:  "I still marvel at the folks here that insisted those involved weren't on the basketball team."

You are correct that people were insisting that *we didn't know* if they were members of the basketball team.  But Chicos states that people insisted that we *knew* that they weren't.

Subtle difference, but an important one.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 09:37:17 AM »

He said:  "I still marvel at the folks here that insisted those involved weren't on the basketball team."

You are correct that people were insisting that *we didn't know* if they were members of the basketball team.  But Chicos states that people insisted that we *knew* that they weren't.

Well he didn't quite say this either.  *Insisted* doesn't necessarily mean *knew*.  In this context, *insisted* could  mean *implied*. 

The bottom line is that when taken in context, at the time there were most certainly people here carrying water for Buzz by making the argument--despite all availble evidence that pointed otherwise--that it might not be basketball players involved.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2014, 10:34:15 AM »

Maybe I didn't say it in a way that was clear for some of you, I'll try again.  There were people here insistent that no one jump to conclusions because, you know, it could have been a non basketball player(s).   ::)  Apparently Buzz gets involved with alleged sexual assault victims perpetuated by the track and field team. 

There were folks that couldn't wait defend hoops again and some of the actions by the administration, staff, etc....let's not forget the complete d-bags that blamed the victims....JUST WIN BABY.   That's what I was talking about. 

It could have been someone in the Chemistry department...we just don't know. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2014, 10:51:12 AM »
Maybe I didn't say it in a way that was clear for some of you, I'll try again.  There were people here insistent that no one jump to conclusions because, you know, it could have been a non basketball player(s).   

Exactly...and quite a different scenario than your initial statement.  And your initial statement was completely clear, and now you are backing off it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2014, 10:58:22 AM »

There were folks that couldn't wait defend hoops again and some of the actions by the administration, staff, etc....let's not forget the complete d-bags that blamed the victims....JUST WIN BABY.   That's what I was talking about. 

Some of my favorites..for you Lenny and Sultan.

"Whatever. Sexual harrassment among college kids? Are you kidding me? If you're not sexually harrassing somebody in college you're not trying hard enough."
-PRN

"Get over yourself. You're not the only person with a daughter. You people are all jumping to huge conclusions. Sounds to me like NOTHING HAPPENED! Please define "sexual harrassment" to me, particularly as it pertains to college relationships. It's complete nonsense and it appears that the powers that be agree with me."
-PRN

"Not sure if anyone else did this or not and I really dont feel like reading 8 pages of this to double check, but I checked the MU teams schedules from that fall to see what other teams would be in town that weekend:
Cross Country: was in New York for BigEast Championships
Men's Golf: they were in California

that leaves the remaining two as possibles and at least were in town that weekend:

Soccer: Had Senior night game @ Valley Fields and won vs. SetonHall in OT
Tennis: They were also in town that weekend, no events near Halloween..."
-GoWarriors1

Etc, etc, etc

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 11:01:17 AM »

Exactly...and quite a different scenario than your initial statement.  And your initial statement was completely clear, and now you are backing off it.

Don't think so at all, but to each their own.

Let me couch it another way.  I'm absolutely convinced beyond any reasonable doubt that some posters here were hoping like hell it was the tennis team, soccer team, track and field, whatever....and if it was, they would say "shame" (with barely an ounce of truth to the comment) and move on, because the precious hoops players weren't involved.  That's how some people think and you know that is true.  Thus it allows for SOME folks to start trying to come up with all kinds of other possible scenarios, for which some folks actually BELIEVE the alternate possibilities.  Hell, there are still people that believe OJ didn't do it, and that's the world we live in.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2014, 11:01:50 AM »
You made a clear statement:  "I still marvel at the folks here that insisted those involved weren't on the basketball team."

I still don't see anyone insisting that.

You were wrong.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2014, 11:02:52 AM »
Let me couch it another way.  I'm absolutely convinced beyond any reasonable doubt that some posters here were hoping like hell it was the tennis team, soccer team, track and field, whatever....and if it was, they would say "shame" (with barely an ounce of truth to the comment) and move on, because the precious hoops players weren't involved.  That's how some people think and you know that is true.  Thus it allows for SOME folks to start trying to come up with all kinds of other possible scenarios, for which some folks actually BELIEVE the alternate possibilities.  Hell, there are still people that believe OJ didn't do it, and that's the world we live in.

Keep shifting the goalposts Chicos!  It's the thing you like to do best when caught talking out of your a$$.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2014, 01:37:52 PM »
You made a clear statement:  "I still marvel at the folks here that insisted those involved weren't on the basketball team."

I still don't see anyone insisting that.

You were wrong.

Weeks later, still saying it could be possibility X, possibility Y, we don't know if it is basketball members.  Sorry, if "insistence" was too strong a word.  Then I'm wrong.

I'll restate, hopefully this passes muster.

How about, "I still marveled that weeks after the incidents, some people trying to be so protective of Buzz and MU basketball players were grasping at any other straws and not ready to accept basketball players were at issue, even suggesting those involved could be members of a different team, or blasting the victims all in the name of not wanting anything negative to be assigned to the coach and team"

feedback