Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 16, 2024, 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[June 16, 2024, 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[June 16, 2024, 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Influential Harlem Ballers  (Read 9557 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Influential Harlem Ballers
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2014, 02:34:45 PM »
That's a little harsh.  Hank was a dedicated soldier.  He knew the game better than 98% of all others in the game.  Hell, John Wooden used to call him for advice.

With that said, the best individual contributor can be the worst leader.  I get your point Keefe.  Hank was a wonderful human being.  He doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the words "the single worst decision".   

The administration screwed up when they did not hire Denny Crummy to succeed Al.

Chili

I was in no way faulting Hank. On the contrary. I met Hank Raymonds and my wife knew him from a project and he was the most gracious soul she ever had the pleasure to meet. But Hank was in over his head at Marquette.

Coming of a National Championship with 4 returning starters and the pipeline full meant he was handed a platinum mine. A solid coach but not the right man to sustain what Al had built. In less than a decade we were not just off the top of the pyramid but no longer a part of the discussion. Marquette should have hired Crum.

So yes, I stand by my comment that hiring Hank was the single worst decision in the history of Marquette basketball. His stewardship took us from a National Championship to the Great Midwest.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 02:39:40 PM »
Just curious, was Al still the AD when Hank was promoted?  Was he the decision maker?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 03:18:50 PM »
Just curious, was Al still the AD when Hank was promoted?  Was he the decision maker?

I don't think it was Al's decision but in the aftermath of his resignation Al paid a lot of public lip service to Hank's strengths - solid tactician, loyal to a fault, high character, and accomplished mentor. The problem is that Al built the empire on chutzpah and east coast grit and Hank was Midwest plain.   

Death on call

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »
1. Hank was hired by the Athletic Board that controlled the decision making at the time.
2. Hank was quite successful BUT no one could follow Al. Hank was ultimately a better coach at MU than Majerus.
3. Hank is one of the finest individuals you could ever meet.
4. The Harlem Ballers was about the guys the author saw. Connie Hawkins and some of those guys were before his time.
5. Hank WAS a father figure to Artie Green. Artie had a drug problem and ended up in prison. Hank helped him throughout the process, visited him in prison and helped him get back on his feet after his release.
6. When Hank was hired , Crum and Digger Phelps had applied.
7. Nowhere near the biggest mistake at MU, in fact, I think in retrospect, it was the right decision. Remember, Hank wanted us to join a conference--the BIG EAST--and the MU Athletic Board naively said no. Hank still got high level recruits but we were falling behind in facilities and conferences. The dumbest decision in MU history was Bob Dukiet. Hank offered to be a one year interim coach at the time--would have been the right move. Remember, it was Billy Packer who told the MU powers Dukiet was the goods and Hank wasn't sold. Hank was right in every instance. He was undercut by a know nothing Athletic Board.

I used to think Hank was a mistake but in retrospect, I think we have not given him his due.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 09:32:41 PM »
I don't think it was Al's decision but in the aftermath of his resignation Al paid a lot of public lip service to Hank's strengths - solid tactician, loyal to a fault, high character, and accomplished mentor. The problem is that Al built the empire on chutzpah and east coast grit and Hank was Midwest plain.  

Some thought that Raymonds should have gotten the job when it went to Al.  Giving the HC job to Hank when Al left was probably a politically mandated necessity.  Not only was the school rewarding him for making Al look good all those years, but they were rewarding him for not walking away when he did not get the job when Al was hired.  Al and Hank were pretty much the perfect team.  The strength of each was where the other was weakest.  Without Hank, Al could never have achieved close to what he did achieve.  Without Al, Hank could not sustain it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:34:38 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 09:40:24 PM »
Back on topic.....

Roll the clock forward 20 years, and Artie is at MU.  He's a highly acclaimed recruit.  He comes to campus, and experiences a coaching change.  New coach gives him limited minutes because he does not play team ball.  Artie transfers after is freshman season.

Makes you wonder why Artie did not transfer back then.  How times have changed.

Artie Was a JUCO recruit who had only two years at Marquette.  So, your scenario where he transfers after his freshman year would not be possible.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 09:45:07 PM »
7. Nowhere near the biggest mistake at MU, in fact, I think in retrospect, it was the right decision. Remember, Hank wanted us to join a conference--the BIG EAST--and the MU Athletic Board naively said no. Hank still got high level recruits but we were falling behind in facilities and conferences. The dumbest decision in MU history was Bob Dukiet. Hank offered to be a one year interim coach at the time--would have been the right move. Remember, it was Billy Packer who told the MU powers Dukiet was the goods and Hank wasn't sold. Hank was right in every instance. He was undercut by a know nothing Athletic Board.

I guess I am taking an ontological view. MU hires Crum then Dukiet never ends up in Milwaukee. This is about cascading effects and the first domino was the hiring of Hank.

Death on call

feedback