[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Donald might finally get the boot  (Read 7074 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
The Donald might finally get the boot
« on: April 26, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »
Not that Donald, but Sterling.  He's been pulling this crap around here for 50+ years and everyone has known it.  Based on today's events, I think he's finally done.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: The Donald might finally get the boot
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 06:38:43 PM »
Not that Donald, but Sterling.  He's been pulling this crap around here for 50+ years and everyone has known it.  Based on today's events, I think he's finally done.

How are they going to force him to sell?

I'd love it if the players just walked onto the court, then walked off.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 07:12:22 PM »
I have no idea.  Thing is, Sterling has been this way for a long long time.  I believe the board of governors can force him to sell much like MLB did with Marge Schott, but not 100% certain on that.  Ironic that Sterling's girlfriend if African American I believe.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 07:23:39 PM »
I have no idea.  Thing is, Sterling has been this way for a long long time.  I believe the board of governors can force him to sell much like MLB did with Marge Schott, but not 100% certain on that.  Ironic that Sterling's girlfriend if African American I believe.

I was just wondering if the NBA would use the Marge Schott case as a roadmap.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 07:30:53 PM »

Girl friend is half Hispanic and half African-American

They can also suspend him a-la George Steinbrenner

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 07:38:44 PM »
The logistics are a huge mess. Sterling is only giving up the Clippers willingly. NBA bylaws, NBA constitution, California laws, federal antitrust laws...he can't have that team removed from his ownership unwillingly. It's not happening.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 07:50:56 PM »
In three weeks he was about to receive a lifetime achievement award by the NAACP and a separate award by the Democrat Party for some bundling (fund raising).  I'm guessing those both go bye bye now. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/26/donald-sterling-naacp_n_5219708.html

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 08:27:17 PM »
Really, I don't think they can or should do anything to Sterling.  Don't get me wrong, I find him to be a disgusting human being, but technically he is entitled to be a disgusting human being.

Now, where I think something should be done, is by the players and the coaches.  They can and should refuse to play for the clippers next season unless he voluntarily steps down from his associations with the team and the NBA.  And the NBA should support the players and coaches.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 09:40:28 PM »
Chris Paul, NBPA President (!), issued a brief response as did Kevin Johnson, former president and Sac mayor.

FWIW, Sterling camp is throwing out doubt that the recording may not be him.
SS Marquette

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 09:53:29 PM »
How are they going to force him to sell?

I'd love it if the players just walked onto the court, then walked off.

MLB made the Reds owner sell years ago.  It can be done.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 10:13:35 PM »
Chris Paul, NBPA President (!), issued a brief response as did Kevin Johnson, former president and Sac mayor.

FWIW, Sterling camp is throwing out doubt that the recording may not be him.

Apparently this woman was sued by Sterling's wife for $1.8M to recoup all kinds of things like cars, money, etc and she claimed she will get even.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 10:42:27 AM »
MLB didn't really force Schott to sell the Reds.  They suspended her from having any management responsibilities over the team, but she sold out mostly for contract reasons having to do with her other partners. 

The NBA can suspend Sterling all it wants, but I doubt they can force a sale.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 12:12:06 PM »
This would have been Sterlings 2ND Lifetime Achievement award from the NAACP....the last one happened a lifetime ago....6 years ago.

Apparently if you donate enough money, lifetime achievement awards can come more than once per lifetime.

That being said, the NAACP is withdrawing this one per comments this morning.  Haven't heard if the Democrats are pulling the bundling award, but I have to think he is so toxic right now that it will also be going bye bye.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »
This would have been Sterlings 2ND Lifetime Achievement award from the NAACP....the last one happened a lifetime ago....6 years ago.

Apparently if you donate enough money, lifetime achievement awards can come more than once per lifetime.

That being said, the NAACP is withdrawing this one per comments this morning.  Haven't heard if the Democrats are pulling the bundling award, but I have to think he is so toxic right now that it will also be going bye bye.

I know we are not supposed to get political this cannot go unsaid ....

Clive Bundy, the Nevada ranch owner is being blasted as a racist in his fight with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).  A few republicans (Rand Paul and Ted Cruz) offered sympathy for his fight with the Federal Government days before his racists remarks.  Their support of Bundy was only about the fight with the BLM, not an endorsement of Bundy's worldview.

The last three days I've heard a never ending stream of political pundits and Washington reporters say Bundy's racism is bad for the republicans and will hurt them in November.

Now we learn that Sterling was about to get a second life-time achievement award from the NAACP as well as an award from the Democrat party for his fund raising efforts.  You can argue that these awards DO represent a support of his worldview, because he supports their worldview in his donations.  So on its face this should be devastating to the NAACP and the Democrat party.  Watch how NO ONE will say this and their will be no discussion about how this negatively impact the democrats in the November election.  And they will insist Bundy's fight will/has killed the republican party.

This is a comment about biased reporting and slanted political opinions from those that insist they are "objective."

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 01:40:17 PM »
I feel your pain, H.  Whatever happened to the good old days of fair and balanced reportage?
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 01:48:47 PM »

Clive Bundy, the Nevada ranch owner is being blasted as a racist in his fight with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).  A few republicans (Rand Paul and Ted Cruz) offered sympathy for his fight with the Federal Government days before his racists remarks.  Their support of Bundy was only about the fight with the BLM, not an endorsement of Bundy's worldview.

The last three days I've heard a never ending stream of political pundits and Washington reporters say Bundy's racism is bad for the republicans and will hurt them in November.

Now we learn that Sterling was about to get a second life-time achievement award from the NAACP as well as an award from the Democrat party for his fund raising efforts.  You can argue that these awards DO represent a support of his worldview, because he supports their worldview in his donations.  So on its face this should be devastating to the NAACP and the Democrat party.  Watch how NO ONE will say this and their will be no discussion about how this negatively impact the democrats in the November election.  And they will insist Bundy's fight will/has killed the republican party.

This is a comment about biased reporting and slanted political opinions from those that insist they are "objective."

What Bundy said was stupid, though what I did find interesting is that the NY Times and other, ahem, fair and balanced news organizations didn't post his entire comments. 

Side by side   http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2014/04/media-matters-editing-scrutinized-after-bundys-unedited-comments-emerge.html

I don't care for his comments either way, but I find it odd that news organizations are deciding to edit or clip certain things out to drive an impression....wait, no I'm not....not surprised at all.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 02:02:11 PM »
What Bundy said was stupid, though what I did find interesting is that the NY Times and other, ahem, fair and balanced news organizations didn't post his entire comments.  

Side by side   http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2014/04/media-matters-editing-scrutinized-after-bundys-unedited-comments-emerge.html

I don't care for his comments either way, but I find it odd that news organizations are deciding to edit or clip certain things out to drive an impression....wait, no I'm not....not surprised at all.

Edit. Just not worth it.  Happy Sunday everyone.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 02:09:16 PM »

Side by side   http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2014/04/media-matters-editing-scrutinized-after-bundys-unedited-comments-emerge.html

He sounds like a bigot in both videos.  And he still owes us money.

What exactly is your point?  Bigots get caught sometimes?

brandx

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »
I feel your pain, H.  Whatever happened to the good old days of fair and balanced reportage?

At least it is still balanced.

Fox first tried to make the "Welfare Cowboy" a national hero - now they pretend he never existed.

brandx

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 05:25:24 PM »
What Bundy said was stupid, though what I did find interesting is that the NY Times and other, ahem, fair and balanced news organizations didn't post his entire comments

Yeah, they left out his recital of his Posse Comitatus (an organization founded in the South after the Civil War for the express purpose of denying blacks the rights they had just won) beliefs.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 07:31:05 AM »

As a taxpayer that makes me part owner and I want the money owed to the government.  Pay up you freeloader.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 05:34:25 PM »

unnatural carnal knowledge it,  I'm your huckleberry.

He gave a total of $6,000 to 3 Democrats,  with the last donation coming in 1992.  Not too mention he has been a registered Republican since 1998.

Just stop,  you are embarrassing yourself.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 05:51:22 PM »
unnatural carnal knowledge it,  I'm your huckleberry.

He gave a total of $6,000 to 3 Democrats,  with the last donation coming in 1992.  Not too mention he has been a registered Republican since 1998.

Just stop,  you are embarrassing yourself.

My sister is a registered Republican since 1990, has never voted Republican in her life and gives exclusively to Democrats.  According to reports out here, he was up for a bundling award for Dem candidates next month.  More to come, I'm sure.

NAACP is returning his donation money....which was the whole reason he got the lifetime achievement award the first time 6 years ago.

He donated $35K to the Museum of Tolerance out here in L.A., they haven't said if they are returning.  Another $50K to the United Negro College Fund (UNCF) which they have indicated they will not return the donation.  $50K to the Black Business Association (BBA), they had no comment.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 05:59:09 PM »

He sounds like a bigot in both videos.  And he still owes us money.

What exactly is your point?  Bigots get caught sometimes?

I think I was pretty clear that what he said was stupid.  I just don't like some of the heavy editing that goes on...reminds me of the 911 tapes in Florida.  I'm absolutely fine with letting him hang by his own words, but they should put all the words in there, not the ones they want to selectively put in there.  I believe he said something to the effect 'we sure don't want to go back {to slavery}...we can make a difference in a peaceful way', etc, etc.  In another part, apparently he said the Watts rioters were exactly correct to riot because they had no choice.  In another part, he stated he believes illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay here in this country.

I don't have what he said exactly nor am I going to look for it, but it seems to me that in this day and age where column inches don't matter and videos can go on forever online, you should include the complete comments, not cherry pick them.  It doesn't do much for public trust in the media which is already at near record lows.  If those additional quotes were included, it might be some interesting discussion on how he feels.  Those latter two comments are quite different from the other ones.

People are smart enough to figure it out, why give them ammunition to say they are carving a story.  Give people the entire news.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:03:44 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 06:00:37 PM »
As a taxpayer that makes me part owner and I want the money owed to the government.  Pay up you freeloader.

I say the same thing about our borders....seems lots of free loading going on and only some of us have to pay for it.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 06:07:24 PM »
Hey look, a well-reasoned, thought out discussion about the Sterling situation free of partisa...

Moving on, I'm curious about the multitude of donations to these organizations.  Is this his way of rectifying his views in his mind?  Blood money, if you will?  Because I find it so bizarre that you would repeatedly denigrate people while throwing money at the NAACP.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 06:46:15 PM »

My sister is a registered Republican since 1990, has never voted Republican in her life and gives exclusively to Democrats.  According to reports out here, he was up for a bundling award for Dem candidates next month.  More to come, I'm sure.

NAACP is returning his donation money....which was the whole reason he got the lifetime achievement award the first time 6 years ago.

He donated $35K to the Museum of Tolerance out here in L.A., they haven't said if they are returning.  Another $50K to the United Negro College Fund (UNCF) which they have indicated they will not return the donation.  $50K to the Black Business Association (BBA), they had no comment.

First off,  why don't you let the poster I quoted answer  for himself.   Secondly,  Hesie's post was about the hypocrisy of media,  and why Bundy and Sterling are treated are differently, but his whole argument is based off the false pretense that Sterling is this huge Hollywood liberal Democrat,  when clearly he isn't. 

He clearly got duped by the narrative Drudge,  Newsbusters,  the Daily Caller,  and Hannity were promoting. 

As to other donations,  they have nothing to do with this discussion,  so why bother bringing them up?  Just stick to what people say,  and respond to that,  it's really not that hard.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 06:52:14 PM »
First off,  why don't you let the poster I quoted answer  for himself.   Secondly,  Hesie's post was about the hypocrisy of media,  and why Bundy and Sterling are treated are differently, but his whole argument is based off the false pretense that Sterling is this huge Hollywood liberal Democrat,  when clearly he isn't. 

He clearly got duped by the narrative Drudge,  Newsbusters,  the Daily Caller,  and Hannity were promoting. 

As to other donations,  they have nothing to do with this discussion,  so why bother bringing them up?  Just stick to what people say,  and respond to that,  it's really not that hard.

Don't you know that Chicos' personal anecdotes trump all else in any argument? Give up man, you already lost when he trotted out the story about his sister's voting/donating habits.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »

In the course of the discussion here and the other thread, we have been talking about donations to the NAACP among others.  Seems it was more than appropriate to bring up now that those organizations are reporting about what they plan on doing with them.

My apologies on answering for the other poster, but since I also brought up the political donations I obliged.

Peace

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 07:00:39 PM »
Don't you know that Chicos' personal anecdotes trump all else in any argument? Give up man, you already lost when he trotted out the story about his sister's voting/donating habits.

Nope, but when one person exclusively donates to one party and donates a ton to certain ideological groups, yet is "registered" to a different party...it is interesting.  Some would say follow the money.  Some estimates this morning top over $1M in total over the years to select groups.  I'm sure the more that is unearthed will show donations to the other side.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 07:36:19 PM »
I think I was pretty clear that what he said was stupid.  I just don't like some of the heavy editing that goes on...

"Heavy editing?"  They cut out the front and the back.  Whoa!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 11:07:03 PM »
"Heavy editing?"  They cut out the front and the back.  Whoa!

In this case, you are correct...my heavy editing comment was a generalization, partly tied to the famous 911 editing of TM case.  Now, having said that, removing the front and the back isn't exactly providing the entire picture either.  Makes one wonder why they choose to do this.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 07:37:29 AM »
I say the same thing about our borders....seems lots of free loading going on and only some of us have to pay for it.

I don't even know what that means, but this is turning far away from the comments of the Clippers owner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »
In this case, you are correct...my heavy editing comment was a generalization, partly tied to the famous 911 editing of TM case.  Now, having said that, removing the front and the back isn't exactly providing the entire picture either.  Makes one wonder why they choose to do this.

I don't know.

But as I said, keeping the front and the back on doesn't make his comments any better.

sv48

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 01:45:04 PM »
Just suspended him for life, and a $2.5 million dollar fine. Get ready for the lawsuits.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10857580/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-owner-receives-life-ban-nba

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 01:57:21 PM »
Get ready for the lawsuits.

Unlikely.
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10852199/challenge-donald-sterling

Frankly, I'm interested in the possibility of a sale.  Does the Seattle group get their best shot with a team that has long been in the shadow of the Lakers?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 02:03:23 PM »
not before the NBA can hold Milwaukee hostage for a new arena