'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tom Crean suffers another loss  (Read 43694 times)

MU1980

• Starter
Re: Tom Crean suffers another loss
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2014, 07:21:49 AM »
Sorry, but couldn't disagree more on drunk driving.  Definitely something to see there.  Underage drinking, no problem.  But drunk driving can ruin lives.  End lives.  That is no small matter.

Unfortunately there are too many people that think drunk driving is no big deal. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2014, 07:31:13 AM »
Drunk driving matters.   I was too flippant about it in my post. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2014, 09:32:06 AM »
That Scooter story is a pile. MU lost Scooter when Louisville money showed up. Pure and simple, we could not pay as much.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2014, 11:52:39 AM »
That Scooter story is a pile. MU lost Scooter when Louisville money showed up. Pure and simple, we could not pay as much.

Gato

Not a pile. Part of the lore. What differentiates the MU Brand is that it has always embraced eccentricity. The past is filled with characters, events, and stage props that would make the Duke faithful shudder. Can you imagine Jay Bilas whipping out a switchblade to cut down the nets? Goose Brell doing so was an essential part of the narrative. Majerus walking in on Scooter may or may not be completely accurate but it is gold filament in one of sports' richest tapestries.   

Death on call

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2014, 11:57:29 AM »

The decline of Marquette basketball can be traced directly to Majerus walking in on Scooter practicing the scales.

At about the time of the McCray instrumental, didn't MU lose Rod Foster on signing day along with one or two other verbals that conspired to devastate the program (Ricky Olson, maybe)

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2014, 11:59:41 AM »
That I can agree with. Our history is so incredibly fun, funny and epic, the stories have taken on a life of their own--but they need to be preserved. So many great stories from Al through Rick, KO even some good Deane stories. Above all, Al's stories are the best in all of sports. I do not think Dick Enberg's play did that era justice.

brandx

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2014, 12:02:07 PM »
He should be able to play center.  His dad did.

Even with the legendary Lloyd Moore on the team?  ;D

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2014, 12:05:13 PM »
At about the time of the McCray instrumental, didn't MU lose Rod Foster on signing day along with one or two other verbals that conspired to devastate the program (Ricky Olson, maybe)

Marquette was a lock for a number of studs that didn't survive the transition from Al to Hank. Not just the McCrays but Foster and Bowie, too. What pains me still is that Denny Crum wanted the MU job badly but the university put loyalty first. As I understand, Al was not convinced Hank was the best replacement, despite his talk of Hank's X's & O's prowess.

Olson was later, during Majerus' time.  

Death on call

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »

No, Foster was later.  The loss of Scooter also lost Rodney, which was the start of the end.  MU brought in Artie, Worthen, Michael Wilson, Marquardt.  MU thought they had Scooter.  With
Scooter they would have been pretty impressive.  Marquardt, Toone, McCray, Wilson and Sam.  Good team,  next year bring in Rodney for Toone and they might have kept it going in the 80's.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2014, 12:21:33 PM »
That I can agree with. Our history is so incredibly fun, funny and epic, the stories have taken on a life of their own--but they need to be preserved. So many great stories from Al through Rick, KO even some good Deane stories. Above all, Al's stories are the best in all of sports. I do not think Dick Enberg's play did that era justice.

I agree on Al's place in the pantheon. What gets little service is his role in civil rights. I have mentioned a few times that Al and Bobby Kennedy were cited by Arthur Schlesinger in Robert Kennedy and His Times as being two of the most significant players on the national stage in driving change in a society still resistant to equality regardless of race, religion, or creed.

And I am sincere in saying that I prefer Marquette's corned beef and chitlins over Duke's cucumber sandwiches every time. Al getting into fist fights with players, Larry McNeill's wife getting into fist fights in the stands, the unis, tuxes and Bentleys, sheepskin jackets, Butch nearly beating the US, Give 'em hell, Al... You could never make this stuff up.  

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2014, 12:23:19 PM »
No, Foster was later.  The loss of Scooter also lost Rodney, which was the start of the end.  MU brought in Artie, Worthen, Michael Wilson, Marquardt.  MU thought they had Scooter.  With
Scooter they would have been pretty impressive.  Marquardt, Toone, McCray, Wilson and Sam.  Good team,  next year bring in Rodney for Toone and they might have kept it going in the 80's.

O Lee. People forget he was as heralded as Toone coming out of Deland.

Death on call

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2014, 12:26:33 PM »

yup ... Scooter McCray entered the Ville in 1978, Foster to UCLA in 1979 (same year as Rodney to the Ville)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2014, 12:31:28 PM »
yup ... Scooter McCray entered the Ville in 1978, Foster to UCLA in 1979 (same year as Rodney to the Ville)

We were first movers on Bowie, too. He ended up going to UK.

Death on call

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2014, 01:24:51 PM »
We were first movers on Bowie, too. He ended up going to UK.

UK was gonna win that battle ... that bit in Tark's book about how UK rented a room in Lebanon for an assistant coach to be with on Bowie every day was startling.  That said, one of my old bosses grew up with Bernard Toone.  He figured Al spent more time in their high school cafeteria than most of the students.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2014, 01:44:06 PM »
UK was gonna win that battle ... that bit in Tark's book about how UK rented a room in Lebanon for an assistant coach to be with on Bowie every day was startling.  That said, one of my old bosses grew up with Bernard Toone.  He figured Al spent more time in their high school cafeteria than most of the students.

The Bowie case probably more money than MU was willing to, uh, invest. But we were in on him first and he gave us a hard look. Another factor is that Ray Meyer jumped in where Al left off and skimmed the Chicago cream that put MU first. Correlation of factors triggered a series of cascading effects from which we have never fully recovered. People here speak of Blue Bloods based on a single coach's  stewardship. Fact is, under Al we were a Blue Blood.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2014, 01:50:11 PM »
Right here in River City, y'all.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2014, 04:26:14 PM »
I agree on Al's place in the pantheon. What gets little service is his role in civil rights. I have mentioned a few times that Al and Bobby Kennedy were cited by Arthur Schlesinger in Robert Kennedy and His Times as being two of the most significant players on the national stage in driving change in a society still resistant to equality regardless of race, religion, or creed.

And I am sincere in saying that I prefer Marquette's corned beef and chitlins over Duke's cucumber sandwiches every time. Al getting into fist fights with players, Larry McNeill's wife getting into fist fights in the stands, the unis, tuxes and Bentleys, sheepskin jackets, Butch nearly beating the US, Give 'em hell, Al... You could never make this stuff up.  

Completely agree.   The different is what makes it interesting and fun and differentiates MU.    For better or worse, the Al era defined the MU brand and still resonates to this day.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback