[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bourbon  (Read 62286 times)

DavidDiggsDawg

• Walk-On
Bourbon
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:25:38 AM »
I am a big time bourbon lover based in Milwaukee, but I travel between Kenosha, Milwaukee, Madison, and the Dells for work and I am willing to drive wherever necessary to get a good bourbon. I am looking to connect with other people who also like bourbon to share release info on hard to find bottles of the brown liquor. I am consistently going into liquor stores around the state on my down time to see what is new out there.

Is there anyone else on this site that would like to discuss bourbon with me?
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:40:17 AM »
I must say that I like bourbon on a few occasions, but it is not my first go to.

I've been sitting on a bottle of Hudson Whiskey (Tuthilltown Spirits). It was a gift and I can't remember if it is the Baby Bourbon or the Manhattan Rye. Ever had either?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »
Have you roadtripped to Lexington yet?
Have some patience, FFS.

BlindboyPatSmith

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »
In my youth I was a bourbon/whiskey guy.....but now I have drifted to microbeers.

That said I stumbled (no pun intended) into a Texas Bourbon - yes I said Texas.  Garrison Brothers Distillery in Hye Texas caused me to buy a bottle (pricey) I find it so smooth that I have determined that there is only one way to drink it...straight up - not even ice....pour and sip

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 12:51:39 PM »
I like Buffalo Trace or Old Forester
MU15

DavidDiggsDawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:57:30 PM »
A roadtrip to bourbon country is on the radar!

I am a fan of basil haydens, and pretty much anything buffalo trace puts out. I am currently looking for a bottle of Elmer T. Lee.
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 03:52:53 PM »
I am a fan of basil haydens, and pretty much anything buffalo trace puts out. I am currently looking for a bottle of Elmer T. Lee.

The hedcut illustration on Buffalo Trace's website is awesome

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 10:11:21 PM »
Weller's 12 is my gold standard of everyday bourbon

I'll never drink a sip of Makers/Beam again as long as I live

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 10:21:27 PM »
I'd rather have a single malt scotch.

Or a rye for a mixed drink. Templeton rye is fantastic

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 10:23:17 PM »
Eagle Rare is a nice choice.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 12:47:10 AM »
I have never acquired a taste for bourbon. Friends from the South swear by it, especially with branch, but I find rather sweet. I'll stick with single malt scotch, thank you.

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »
Wild Turkey and Knob Creek are delicious. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 04:12:29 PM »
more like wild turkey is an excellent deal for the alcohol content ;)  the 101, 80 proof should not exist. 

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »
Anyone in mke know if the great lakes bourbon is going to be released this year? 

side note - if you're in Milwaukee, do that tour, super fun

MUBillsTil2017

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 04:07:16 PM »
Well I recommend Woodford Reserve for smoothness and easily thinking you can handle just one more.

Right this second I'm at the downtown MKE Hilton swilling Booker in a snifter glass.  Pretty damn good on Easter weekend.  

Cabin Creek is a budget friendly friend as well.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:26:12 PM by MUBillsTil2017 »

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 06:47:08 PM »
A roadtrip to bourbon country is on the radar!

I haven't been able to find any Elmer T Lee in Chicago for the last couple years.  I had a glass at a restaurant last week and it was fantastic, my favorite bourbon probably and at such a good price too.

I just recently got my hands on some Eagle Rare and Weller 12, but all Trace brands have been impossible to find in Chicago this last year.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 06:48:52 PM »
Weller's 12 is my gold standard of everyday bourbon

I'll never drink a sip of Makers/Beam again as long as I live

Beam Black isn't bad and is easy to find all over the place.  I'll take Beam Black for the price over Knob Creek.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 10:45:56 PM »
Beam Black isn't bad and is easy to find all over the place.  I'll take Beam Black for the price over Knob Creek.

I was a big Makers 46 fan. But I won't be drinking any Japanese bourbon

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 01:31:50 AM »
I was a big Makers 46 fan. But I won't be drinking any Japanese bourbon

One of the most elegant and exacting cultures on earth.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/how-japan-copied-american-culture-and-made-it-better-180950189/?no-ist

Death on call

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
Angel's Envy came out with a bourbon not too long ago.  Awesome. Finished in port barrels. On the sweeter side, so scotch guys won't like it.  But their Rye is pretty killer, too.

DavidDiggsDawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 02:47:03 PM »
I haven't been able to find any Elmer T Lee in Chicago for the last couple years.  I had a glass at a restaurant last week and it was fantastic, my favorite bourbon probably and at such a good price too.

I just recently got my hands on some Eagle Rare and Weller 12, but all Trace brands have been impossible to find in Chicago this last year.

I recently started conversing with a guy who runs one of the bourbon blogs. Long story short, he suggested I go to www.wine-searcher.com. It is a website where you can actually purchase booze from different merchants across the US and they will ship it to you. I found two bottles of Elmer T. Lee from a place in Jersey where it cost me $34.99 per bottle and then a ground shipping charge of $25. VERY reasonable prices for hard-to-find bottles of ETL. They should be at my door by the EOB Thursday and destroying my liver shortly thereafter.

Chicago seems to be a complete mess when it comes to good bourbon. Wisconsin is difficult, but it is still doable. If you want to get some Pappy, etc., I would suggest you start finding a couple of stores in your area that you know had the product last year. Become friendly, stop in often, show you are knowledgable, and BUY SOMETHING (not necessarily bourbon, a six-pack will suffice). If you start now, you could easily build up a report with them to find out their method for giving out their stash of PVW. Some places have a lottery, others are first come first served, and some may even let you put a deposit down on what they may get in their stores. The more stores you do this with, the better off you will be in the long run. My buddy and I did this method last year and between the 5 big stores we covered we were able to get 6 bottles of PVW, of varying vintages.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 02:52:09 PM »
I must say that I like bourbon on a few occasions, but it is not my first go to.

I've been sitting on a bottle of Hudson Whiskey (Tuthilltown Spirits). It was a gift and I can't remember if it is the Baby Bourbon or the Manhattan Rye. Ever had either?

Both are excellent  -- I enjoy their Four Grain Bourbon more than the pair you listed.  Check it out when you can. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 02:58:55 PM »
Doesn't Bourbon have to be distilled within KY to truly be considered Bourbon amongst connoisseurs?  
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 03:11:44 PM »
Doesn't Bourbon have to be distilled within KY to truly be considered Bourbon amongst connoisseurs?  

Most is from KY but not all.

http://liquor.com/articles/the-five-biggest-bourbon-myths/

Death on call

DavidDiggsDawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 03:14:52 PM »
EDITED:
Conventional thinking is that it needs to be made in Kentucky to be considered "bourbon". Most people still subscribe to this theory and will not consider it Bourbon unless it is distilled in KY. The component others use to determine if it is Bourbon is the combination/concentration of ingredients that go into making the whiskey and the method of aging that define it as bourbon. Jack Daniels has a concentration and process that is almost identical to the process of making bourbon (minus the charcoal filtering) and could probably be considered as "bourbon" but because of the filtering and their desire to differentiate themselves from the market they are billed as "Tennessee Whiskey". The Whiskey Boom has resulted in a lot of gray lines developing. B&E, which is distilled in KY but brought to CA for bottling. It is still considered a bourbon, but some purists may not agree.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:39:57 PM by DavidDiggsDawg »

feedback