[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bourbon  (Read 62645 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2022, 07:03:45 PM »
Was able to get a bottle of Chapter 5 through a lottery draw.  Haven't cracked it yet, but reviews seem to favor prior chapters.  Also randomly found a bottle of Stagg Jr in a case at a local grocery for $99.  Crazy that a year ago you could buy that on the secondary for $200-250, now I have seen it for $300 - $500.

Man, I got my Stagg Jr. on the shelf for like $59 a few years ago. Bourbon has gotten out of hand. I am about to head to Scotch, Rum, and Tequila / Mezcal for my barrel spirits.
But I like to throw handfuls...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2022, 06:36:48 AM »
Man, I got my Stagg Jr. on the shelf for like $59 a few years ago. Bourbon has gotten out of hand. I am about to head to Scotch, Rum, and Tequila / Mezcal for my barrel spirits.

As you know, barrel aging does not require expensive booze to make a great finished product.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2022, 11:48:04 AM »

Are the tariffs the last administration put on Scotch still in effect? I noticed prices at my store and whiskey bar increase on Scoch.

I did a Mezcal tasting in Mexico recently (my wife got the worm). If you can get the stuff that uses wood instead of propane for cooking the pinas that's the really good stuff.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2022, 12:06:28 PM »
Are the tariffs the last administration put on Scotch still in effect? I noticed prices at my store and whiskey bar increase on Scoch.

I did a Mezcal tasting in Mexico recently (my wife got the worm). If you can get the stuff that uses wood instead of propane for cooking the pinas that's the really good stuff.

No tariffs on scotch anymore but supply chain issues remain on that and Irish whiskey.  As consumers have grown frustrated with bourbon shortages,  more have dabbled in the world of scotch which has also made the classics harder to find
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2022, 12:45:25 PM »

I'm hoping that the taters all jump to mescal and let bourbon get back to normal.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #180 on: December 14, 2022, 01:50:35 PM »
So have a whole day to kill in Chicago this weekend while the spawn is at a soccer camp. 

Planning on hitting up Binny's.  Are any of the locations known for better bourbon selection than other stores?  Have plenty of time, so not concerned with location.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2022, 02:39:06 PM »
So have a whole day to kill in Chicago this weekend while the spawn is at a soccer camp. 

Planning on hitting up Binny's.  Are any of the locations known for better bourbon selection than other stores?  Have plenty of time, so not concerned with location.

Lincoln Park Binnys is the gold standard of all them
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #182 on: December 19, 2022, 08:53:01 PM »
Lincoln Park Binnys is the gold standard of all them

Thanks for the recommendation.

Went there this past weekend, was actually disappointed by the selection.  Honestly think Woodmans has a better inventory, including store picks.  TBF, they were busy as he'll, weekend before Christmas and all.

But they did have Mellow F*ckin Corn, which I don't see here too often.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2022, 10:43:59 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation.

Went there this past weekend, was actually disappointed by the selection.  Honestly think Woodmans has a better inventory, including store picks.  TBF, they were busy as he'll, weekend before Christmas and all.

But they did have Mellow F*ckin Corn, which I don't see here too often.

I sincerely apologize. I would've given you more local spot with more specialty stuff usually that binnys has a broader spectrum selection. I should've given it some thought though as I've been burned by their scotch and Irish selection before
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2022, 10:57:27 PM »
I sincerely apologize. I would've given you more local spot with more specialty stuff usually that binnys has a broader spectrum selection. I should've given it some thought though as I've been burned by their scotch and Irish selection before

Their Irish section was half an aisle,I think.   Shared with rye.

All good tho, fam. Walked out with 4 good bottles.

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2023, 07:50:57 PM »
Heading down to Kentucky in April and staying in Frankfort - planning on hitting Buffalo Trace & Castle and Key.  Any other suggestions?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2023, 11:50:43 PM »
Heading down to Kentucky in April and staying in Frankfort - planning on hitting Buffalo Trace & Castle and Key.  Any other suggestions?

Skip castle and key.

If your in Frankfort. Hit woodford.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2023, 03:44:47 PM »
Woodfords Limited Releases are some of my favorites, if you happen to be there when they let them go in the 375 bottles stock up if you can.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2023, 03:51:10 PM »
Lux Row, Michters and Angel's Envy have good tours. I have heard good things about the Maker's Mark tour, but its not my favorite bourbon. Skip Four Roses.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #189 on: February 17, 2023, 01:31:46 PM »
Another question - how many tours do we book vs just going to the distillery for a taste or to buy?

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #190 on: February 17, 2023, 01:59:59 PM »
Had a Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend Mash Bill Unknown at a whisky club last week. Wowza!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #191 on: March 23, 2023, 08:38:57 PM »
Anyone have any luck with a Total Wine drawing?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2023, 07:25:18 AM »
I imagine it’s regional, but my CostCo had 1.75’s of Buffalo Trace for $35.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #193 on: March 24, 2023, 07:33:40 AM »
I imagine it’s regional, but my CostCo had 1.75’s of Buffalo Trace for $35.

I wish our Costcos could sell liquor. I've heard a lot of people says they get pretty good prices on liquor at Costco and also that some of their Kirkland branded stuff is actually pretty decent.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 24, 2023, 07:51:54 AM »
I've never been much of a brown liquor guy, but we recently toured J Henry in Dane.  Extremely interesting to learn about Bourbon and how it's made, and I learned I like Bourbon.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #195 on: March 24, 2023, 08:16:43 AM »
I've never been much of a brown liquor guy, but we recently toured J Henry in Dane.  Extremely interesting to learn about Bourbon and how it's made, and I learned I like Bourbon.

Hey, that's a pretty nice place.  If you're ever near Baraboo check out Driftless Glen.  Great building right down by the river.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 24, 2023, 08:44:59 AM »

There’s a lot of styles of bourbon.  You can find something to fit your palate for sure.  Access is so damn hard right now, though.
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #197 on: March 24, 2023, 10:13:08 AM »

2nd on driftless glen (despite being in baraboo).  They have some great Bourbon, and use their own distillate.

Dancing Goat in Cambridge is another option, haven't tried their stuff yet, but have heard good things.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2023, 09:19:15 AM »

I enjoy J Henry from time to time.  I also gift bottles of it to friends when I travel out-of-state—all have enjoyed it.   I have been able to pick it up at Milwaukee-area Costcos for a reasonable price.