Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gottlieb: Will Wojo at Marquette Work?  (Read 15297 times)

boyonthedock

Re: Gottlieb: Will Wojo at Marquette Work?
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2014, 12:19:19 AM »
If he leaves, he leaves. Whatever, that makes 3 successful coaches in a row. Leaving for DUKE would be fine for the program, as no one tried to run down Kansas as a stepping stone job after Williams left for a similarly prestigious UNC job. Now at this point we've had 2 coaches leave for blue bloods, and one left to take less pay under less than glowing circumstances. If I'm the next greatest assistant coaching mind in college basketball, I'd love to launch my career at a place with great resources, and a clear launching pad for my 1a dream career option. I'll have to deal with a week or 2 of pulling my hair out, but then we'll get a new guy. Maybe that guy leaves for UK or Arizona or whatever in 5 years, or maybe that guy is a newly minted winning Wardle. Basically we have the money to make this team good, and the motivation to do so, and that's really all that is going to matter.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2014, 02:01:48 AM »
The circumstances of Roy Williams leaving Kansas for UNC are 1.  Roy Williams being from UNC probably has bleed UNC blue since he knew what basketball was.  2. Dean Smith directly appealed to Roy Williams to return.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2014, 06:31:45 AM »
If he leaves, he leaves. Whatever, that makes 3 successful coaches in a row. Leaving for DUKE would be fine for the program, as no one tried to run down Kansas as a stepping stone job after Williams left for a similarly prestigious UNC job. Now at this point we've had 2 coaches leave for blue bloods, and one left to take less pay under less than glowing circumstances. If I'm the next greatest assistant coaching mind in college basketball, I'd love to launch my career at a place with great resources, and a clear launching pad for my 1a dream career option. I'll have to deal with a week or 2 of pulling my hair out, but then we'll get a new guy. Maybe that guy leaves for UK or Arizona or whatever in 5 years, or maybe that guy is a newly minted winning Wardle. Basically we have the money to make this team good, and the motivation to do so, and that's really all that is going to matter.

As a fan you should be ashamed of yourself for this comment.  In so many words you just said MARQUETTE is a stepping stone job. That dont fly with me!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2014, 06:43:30 AM »
As a fan you should be ashamed of yourself for this comment.  In so many words you just said MARQUETTE is a stepping stone job. That dont fly with me!

Let's say Bo retires from Bucky and they hire Wardle and he is very successful, very successful.  Wojo leaves for Duke (which only happens if he is very successful here) and we talk Wardle into coming to MU. Does that make Bucky a stepping stone job?  Was ND a stepping stone job when Doherty left fore UNC?  Kansas with Roy?

The answer is no. They were not stepping stone jobs.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2014, 06:48:16 AM »
Let's say Bo retires from Bucky and they hire Wardle and he is very successful, very successful.  Wojo leaves for Duke (which only happens if he is very successful here) and we talk Wardle into coming to MU. Does that make Bucky a stepping stone job?  Was ND a stepping stone job when Doherty left fore UNC?  Kansas with Roy?

The answer is no. They were not stepping stone jobs.

That scenario with Wardle would NEVER happen

And with Roy, those are two BLUE BLOOD schools!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »

Crean left for a blue blood, Wojo would be leaving for Duke, so a blue blood, and Bret wasn't welcome back. So what's the point?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 09:06:14 AM »

So Wojo leaving for Duke makes us a stepping stone, but Roy leaving for UNC is justified because it's two blue blood programs? If you don't believe we're a stepping stone, then we must be a blue blood in which case Wojo to Duke would be two blue bloods. I think you reasoning is flawed.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2014, 09:37:30 AM »
Crean left for a blue blood, Wojo would be leaving for Duke, so a blue blood, and Bret wasn't welcome back. So what's the point?

EXACTLY

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 09:41:35 AM »

Every job not in the top tier of the profession (in this case, NBA) is a stepping stone under the right circumstances.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2014, 09:42:59 AM »
So Wojo leaving for Duke makes us a stepping stone, but Roy leaving for UNC is justified because it's two blue blood programs? If you don't believe we're a stepping stone, then we must be a blue blood in which case Wojo to Duke would be two blue bloods. I think you reasoning is flawed.

Man you just confused me.

We are a TOP tier stepping stone job

Wojo has the chance to make this a DESTINATION job but I doubt he will.

My point is that ADMINISTRATORS and FANS are OK with Marquette being a stepping stone job. Thats not gonna cut it with me!

Just because we are a stepping stone school its doesn't mean we have to think that way.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »
Man you just confused me.

We are a TOP tier stepping stone job

Wojo has the chance to make this a DESTINATION job but I doubt he will.

My point is that ADMINISTRATORS and FANS are OK with Marquette being a stepping stone job. Thats not gonna cut it with me!

Just because we are a stepping stone school its doesn't mean we have to think that way.

I WILL SAY IT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.

IF WE ARE A STEPPING STONE TO DUKE, THEN COACH WOJO WILL HAVE ANOTHER BANNER HANGING RIGHT NEXT TO THAT ONE FROM 1977!!!!!!

We have him. It's up to us to keep him! Pure and simple.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 10:47:32 AM »
Wait, I don't understand the "News" blurb; do you pronounce it:

Wo-Jo-Wheres-Your-House-Key?

Or just Wojo-House-Key?

?-(

Hah, it's obviously Wojo-House-Key, but the line is a direct quote from him during his hiring press conference.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 11:03:12 AM »
I think by now everyone should realize that no truly successful coach is staying here long-term unless they are part of the Marquette family.  Everyone should really be rooting for Wardle because he would be the one guy who would stick around.

Sure we could have a non-Marquette guy stay as coach for 15+ years but my guess is it will either be an end of career type situation or the guy somehow doesn't appeal to blue bloods.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2014, 11:10:12 AM »
I think by now everyone should realize that no truly successful coach is staying here long-term unless they are part of the Marquette family.  Everyone should really be rooting for Wardle because he would be the one guy who would stick around.

Sure we could have a non-Marquette guy stay as coach for 15+ years but my guess is it will either be an end of career type situation or the guy somehow doesn't appeal to blue bloods.

I think keeping a coach is very fragile.  Some of it is that the coach needs to have such immense success early that they're willing to stay (Billy Donovan) or they're generally gone. I think it's possible for that to happen, unlikely, but possible. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »
Would you all rather Gottlieb didn't mention Marquette at all?

I can assure all of you that if Cuonzo Martin or Brian Wardle had been named head coach, Gottlieb doesn't include Marquette here. If it had been Ben Howland it would have been old news by now.

Let's all be thankful for how this ended up with Wojo. My gut is that we hired the right man for the job.

Actually, yes.  That would be swell.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »
I guess he can still refer to himself as a Domer...

However, Gottlieb's stint at Notre Dame would be short. During Gottlieb's freshman year, he was charged with stealing credit cards from a roommate and two others and fraudulently charging over $900 to those cards; Gottlieb has since stated that, after paying back the $900, he was allowed to say he was leaving Notre Dame, when in fact he was expelled.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Gottlieb
GOTTLIEB IS A TOOL!!!

savwa

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2014, 12:24:08 PM »
Gotlieb is a hack and any fan who follows college basketball knows that. I don't see the sense in getting riled up by any stupid sh*t Gotlieb says/writes. Eventually, a day will come when CBS or other networks don't hire him but it's likely further away than closer.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2014, 04:16:15 PM »
Does anyone like Doug Gottlieb besides his mother?  

this is not a #DoneDeal

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2014, 11:36:22 PM »
The circumstances of Roy Williams leaving Kansas for UNC are 1.  Roy Williams being from UNC probably has bleed UNC blue since he knew what basketball was.  2. Dean Smith directly appealed to Roy Williams to return.

OK, fast-forward 6 years.

1. Wojo being from Duke probably has bled Duke blue since he knew what basketball was. 2. Coach K directly appealed to Wojo to return.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

boyonthedock

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2014, 12:41:33 AM »
Really, I think of Marquette, as one of the best, if not THE best stepping stone jobs, if I as coach choose to view it that way. I absolutely believe that someone will recognize the fantastic position available at Marquette, and choose to remain here. I'm am putting myself in the shoes of the coach at this point. Obviously, I would personally choose to stay at MU as a fan and alumnus who loves the city of Milwaukee and the program. I'm just simply saying being the 1a stepping stone job is not a bad place to be, and only a hop skip and a jump from being a destination job in and of itself. I like watching MU basketball. MU basketball will always be worth watching as long as the school is committed to the program. If being ok with a coach leaving makes me "not a real fan" I am ok with that as well. I love my school and and will support it even with a revolving door at head coach.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2014, 12:53:12 AM »

1) Crean left for Indiana
2) ????

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2014, 01:28:30 PM »
1) Crean left for Indiana
2) ????

2) Wainwright to Globetrotters

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2014, 03:51:53 PM »
2) Wainwright to Globetrotters

Well, the "Trotters" have not lost in 30+ years. If that isnlt a blueblood then I dont know what is!

feedback