Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marial Shayok  (Read 39308 times)

Fullodds

• All American
Re: Marial Shayok
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 05:12:42 AM »
Information came from his coach.  Most likely offer made through his coach.  This seems like pretty solid information.  TC to coach:  tell kid I have a spot for him...sure I'll only be here for another yr but think of the advantage of working with multiple college coaches-what an opportunity. 

Coach posts to twitter.  Message boards everywhere overreact.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »
It is still breaking the rules, Sure rules are broken all the time, but that does not make it right.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 08:46:12 AM »
It is still breaking the rules, Sure rules are broken all the time, but that does not make it right.

And rarely is it this clearly publicized.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 08:58:16 AM »
People must have thought a few kids that transferred here did so out of pure happenstance and there were no offers put out there while kids were on scholarship...cough...cough.

Was this twitter a #donedeal or written in sharpie ink?

So what you THINK happened with Jamil was squirmy and what we KNOW happened with Shayok isn't. Predictable.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 09:13:23 AM »
Maybe Shayok was the player-to-be-named-later in the Fisher trade? LOL

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »
So what you THINK happened with Jamil was squirmy and what we KNOW happened with Shayok isn't. Predictable.

Where did I say this isn't squirmy?  You got your spider sense psychology decoder ring on again....predictable.

By the way, we don't know jack squat what happened here....we know someone put a tweet out.  Did you not learn anything the last few weeks with donedeal?  Do you know if any conversation happened with MU and the parties?  Nope, you know nothing of the kind....predictable.

What we DO KNOW is the very day someone was granted a release a person signed to go to another school.  The magical stars must have aligned to know that the very day someone was released WITHOUT TALKING to that other school they would not only have an opening but would be willing to take him and it all happened within hours .....oh and an admissions application from another kid was...cough cough...not turned in to keep a spot open...that's a crazy stars alignment in 4 to 6 hours.  I hope everyone bought lottery tickets, too, that day because for all that lucky stuff to happen at the same time without any previous conversations in advance of that is really...well lucky.  Better to be lucky than good I say. 

I'm selling a bridge Lenny, you interested?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:43:55 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 09:40:33 AM »
Information came from his coach.  Most likely offer made through his coach.  This seems like pretty solid information.  TC to coach:  tell kid I have a spot for him...sure I'll only be here for another yr but think of the advantage of working with multiple college coaches-what an opportunity.  

Coach posts to twitter.  Message boards everywhere overreact.

Somehow, I don't think that Crean wanted this information to go public prior to Shayok asking for his release. Rumor's are to be expected, but a public annoncement by the supposed intermediary, not likely.  Maybe having Shayok's coach announce this will create enough scrutiny to cause Crean to back off.  I'm sure that Emment, the NCAA President, is a little uncomfortable seeing his old school publicly circumventing the no contact rules for LOI signors. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:44:23 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 09:55:01 AM »
Received his release from marquette.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2014, 09:55:39 AM »
Per Evan Daniels confirmed by shayoks father.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2014, 09:57:36 AM »
Received his release from marquette.

Oh well. Only so many minutes to go around. So long as we keep hill not a real loss.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2014, 09:58:41 AM »
This has a Tyshawn Taylor feel to it. HS coach wants his name out there associated with a blue blood, so he goes public with the Indiana offer.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2014, 10:03:34 AM »
Really did not need another 6'6" guard/forward right now, like to see a big for next year, maybe another grad student for a year.  Somebody with a little strength.  Is Harris still in the picture
or not?  Rather have him.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »
This has a Tyshawn Taylor feel to it. HS coach wants his name out there associated with a blue blood, so he goes public with the Indiana offer.

Shayok very well may turn into a dynamic collegiate player and his people are going to push the Luol Deng comparison hard. However, here in Jersey, he's never talked about as an elite prospect amongst the other high school/prep kids though that may come because Blair rarely plays Jersey schools.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2014, 10:05:15 AM »
Evan Daniels ā€@EvanDaniels  15m
Marial Shayok just received a release from his Letter of Intent at Marquette, per his father.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2014, 10:06:39 AM »
I don't really feel Shayok is a loss at all. He fits the Buzz switchable profile and is not a very good shooter. I think Wojo got let off the hook on this one and is probably is relieved.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2014, 10:08:05 AM »
Shayok very well may turn into a dynamic collegiate player and his people are going to push the Luol Deng comparison hard. However, here in Jersey, he's never talked about as an elite prospect amongst the other high school/prep kids though that may come because Blair rarely plays Jersey schools.

MU only has 1 junior next year in Taylor, hate to say it, but Wojo needs a JC kid.

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2014, 10:09:24 AM »
MU only has 1 junior next year in Taylor, hate to say it, but Wojo needs a JC kid.

Or a transfer

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2014, 10:10:43 AM »
I don't really feel Shayok is a loss at all. He fits the Buzz switchable profile and is not a very good shooter. I think Wojo got let off the hook on this one and is probably is relieved.

Unless everyone else and Harris come, we have one open schollie.

Please don't say "bank it."  As have discussed this in other threads, you never ever ever bank a schollie.  Never know who gets hurt, leaves or has a bad season.  Have to go into the season with 13 players.

Let's see who Wojo replaces Shayok with.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »
This one is a positive, so long as Wojo fills the spot with any one of his guys.  I'd consider Wojo's player retention too forced if he wasted calories keeping Shayok.

Please don't say "bank it."  As have discussed this in other threads, you never ever ever bank a schollie.  Never know who gets hurt, leaves or has a bad season.  Have to go into the season with 13 players.

Exactly right.  "Banking" is self-imposing a loss of scholarship penalty on the program for no violation other than failure to recruit a full roster.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2014, 10:15:31 AM »
Shayok - out
Pierce - 50/50?
Hill - leaning towards staying
Cohen - staying with MU
Noskowiak - decommitted, MU still a top

Could Shayok leaving influence Hill or Pierce?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2014, 10:16:45 AM »
Shayok - out
Pierce - 50/50?
Cohen - staying with MU

Doubt it. Shayok committed after Hill.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »
Shayok - out
Pierce - 50/50?
Cohen - staying with MU

And Harris is an unknown

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2014, 10:19:48 AM »
Unless everyone else and Harris come, we have one open schollie.

Please don't say "bank it."  As have discussed this in other threads, you never ever ever bank a schollie.  Never know who gets hurt, leaves or has a bad season.  Have to go into the season with 13 players.

Let's see who Wojo replaces Shayok with.

So you would rather give out a scholarship just to do it, than save it for the next year when you could land better players? Wojo has a totally different philosophy than Brent and I would be happy to bank two open scholarships. This gives Wojo a chance to get his type of player in here quicker and could make for a faster transition. There are very few recruits that are unsigned in 2014 and even fewer that are worth signing. It would be nice to get a big man in here for a year, but I think Shayok leaving is a blessing for us. Wouldn't be heartbroken if Pierce left either. But Hill...get him locked back up ASAP!!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »
Shayok - out
Pierce - 50/50?
Cohen - staying with MU

Nope, not taking their minutes either way.  Shayok wasn't worth keeping, Pierce can go either way.  Wojo bats 1.000 in my book with a Hill retention.

So you would rather give out a scholarship just to do it, than save it for the next year when you could land better players? Wojo has a totally different philosophy than Brent and I would be happy to bank two open scholarships. This gives Wojo a chance to get his type of player in here quicker and could make for a faster transition. There are very few recruits that are unsigned in 2014 and even fewer that are worth signing. It would be nice to get a big man in here for a year, but I think Shayok leaving is a blessing for us. Wouldn't be heartbroken if Pierce left either. But Hill...get him locked back up ASAP!!

There's no such thing as saving one year deals.  Use it or lose it.  At least three more open spots for next year already.  Have to have confidence that a player who isn't a high flyer nets out better after a year of development than pick #4 next year would...if not, better than not even trying.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2014, 10:25:57 AM »
We desperately need immediate frontline help and Pierce isn't likely to provide it.  Hope he opts out, too. Wojo has a lot to sell graduate students like Desmond Simmons and Jon Horford.