[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: YOU SEE THAT BRENT?? Guard's game!  (Read 31776 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: YOU SEE THAT BRENT?? Guard's game!
« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2014, 08:58:31 AM »
Duane had the same chance to earn his minutes, just like everyone else did....IN PRACTICE. Derrick was beating him at practice. Hell, Dawson was beating him at practice at the beginning.

Duane wasn't being forced to sit because Derrick was "Buzz's guy." Duane WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH RIGHT AFTER THE INJURY TO PASS UP DAWSON ON THE DEPTH CHART. Buzz looks for certain things during practice and Duane was not able to give it to him. Personally, I hope Wojo introduces a different defense that isn't so difficult for recruits to learn.

This was not some evil plan by Buzz. This was Buzz telling Duane honestly that he was the third best option at PG at the time. So Duane decided to redshirt, which is good for Duane and good for our program. Remember how much it hurt that Junior didn't redshirt? We wouldn't even be having these arguments because Derrick would still be a backup.

I know you want to believe that Buzz is an all around squirmy guy. And he was! But of the many things about his administration, this is one of the most squirm free.

Again, not saying Derrick is a world beater, unfortunately saying that our bench is not as good as we think it is.

Except in the case of Johnson and Taylor. That was about him and Buzz not seeing eye to eye.

Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner, Slurp, hard on, boner

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2014, 09:07:39 AM »
Good thing we have a thread addressed to our former coach about something he no longer has any control over. Brilliant!

Ultimate Warrior dead last night.....your gif is a nice tribute

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/10754308/ultimate-warrior-54-dies-3-days-wwe-hall-fame-ceremony

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2014, 10:12:04 AM »
Duane's lying and we need to talk to the insiders. Hilarious. Duane apparently isn't an insider about himself.

Anyways, I was talking to an insider throughout the process. You can go back and read if you'd like. Pay attention to the posts about Duane considering transferring and about McKay transferring days before McKay's transfer was announced. That wasn't just some dumb luck shot in the dark. Was Duane upset at first? Yup. He was used to being the best player on the court every day. But when he wasn't getting it done in practice and Brent told him he would get very little minutes per game, Duane and his family decided redshirting would be best for him. Would you guys have preferred Duane gets beat out by the other 2 point guards as a result of injury keeping him out the first 3 months of the season (including a month of practice before games) and Buzz telling him to waste a year of eligibility and not redshirt just to get a minute or 2 in blowouts? Ask Cadougan how that worked out for him. Oh wait, Duane did that and Cadougan regretted it. But Duane and Cadougan are Bert slurpers and lying to cover his back, we just have to talk to someone in the know. Because Willie, Nevada, and Ners are in the know but Duane and Cadougan are not.

Also, pay attention to my posts since Bert has left. But it doesn't fit your narrative that I'm a slurper and that this is Duane lying and Bert being a douche, so you won't.

Again, some really, really hilarious stuff you guys come up with.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:14:06 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2014, 10:30:19 AM »

Respect the process.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2014, 11:26:34 AM »
Duane's lying and we need to talk to the insiders. Hilarious. Duane apparently isn't an insider about himself.

Anyways, I was talking to an insider throughout the process. You can go back and read if you'd like. Pay attention to the posts about Duane considering transferring and about McKay transferring days before McKay's transfer was announced. That wasn't just some dumb luck shot in the dark. Was Duane upset at first? Yup. He was used to being the best player on the court every day. But when he wasn't getting it done in practice and Brent told him he would get very little minutes per game, Duane and his family decided redshirting would be best for him. Would you guys have preferred Duane gets beat out by the other 2 point guards as a result of injury keeping him out the first 3 months of the season (including a month of practice before games) and Buzz telling him to waste a year of eligibility and not redshirt just to get a minute or 2 in blowouts? Ask Cadougan how that worked out for him. Oh wait, Duane did that and Cadougan regretted it. But Duane and Cadougan are Bert slurpers and lying to cover his back, we just have to talk to someone in the know. Because Willie, Nevada, and Ners are in the know but Duane and Cadougan are not.

Also, pay attention to my posts since Bert has left. But it doesn't fit your narrative that I'm a slurper and that this is Duane lying and Bert being a douche, so you won't.

I don't think you are a Brent slurper Wades...think you are a Derrick slurper.  Still waiting for you to answer the questions:

Why do you not hold Derrick accountable for showing no improvement/player development last year when he was given more minutes than any other player on the team to show development?

If you were a head coach, and Buzz rolled out:  Derrick, Jake, Juan, Jamil and Chris - which player are you going to game plan to take away?

Why is last year's poor performance (missing the NIT) the result of Jamil, Davante, or Todd not taking big steps up in their games - yet Davante and Mayo had slightly better years than the year before and Jamil was about on par with his junior year?  So, 2 of those guys - Todd and Davante upped their games slightly while being handicapped by playing with the worst PG in high major basketball...and Jamil basically stayed same as a junior - yet we go from Elite 8 to missing NIT??
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2014, 11:48:58 AM »
I don't think you are a Brent slurper Wades...think you are a Derrick slurper.  Still waiting for you to answer the questions:

Why do you not hold Derrick accountable for showing no improvement/player development last year when he was given more minutes than any other player on the team to show development?

If you were a head coach, and Buzz rolled out:  Derrick, Jake, Juan, Jamil and Chris - which player are you going to game plan to take away?

Why is last year's poor performance (missing the NIT) the result of Jamil, Davante, or Todd not taking big steps up in their games - yet Davante and Mayo had slightly better years than the year before and Jamil was about on par with his junior year?  So, 2 of those guys - Todd and Davante upped their games slightly while being handicapped by playing with the worst PG in high major basketball...and Jamil basically stayed same as a junior - yet we go from Elite 8 to missing NIT??

You are right, Derrick did not get significantly better from his sophomore year to his junior year.  I guess my point is this: Going into the season, we knew Derrick would start, even if Duane was healthy.  Did we expect 31 minutes per game?  Even I, as a fan of Derrick (not saying he doesn't have limitations) would not have expected nearly that.  But I did think Derrick would play the most minutes at point guard.  And I did not expect Derrick to average double digit points per game.  Did anybody here?  Derrick was more or less what I thought he would be.  Maybe other people here expected he would be more.

What I did expect was for Jamil to take a step forward and become a consistent threat and a leader on the team.  I did expect Davante to take a step forward and not become seemingly disinterested and pouty in the game at times.  I did not expect Mayo to ride the bench up until the 2nd half of the BE season.  I did not expect Steve to be injured or just sit on the bench all season.  I expected each of these players to provide significantly more than they did, while I expected Derrick to give us about what he gave us.  Is Derrick at fault?  Would a scoring threat at point guard have helped?  Absolutely.  But when you go into a season, you typically have a system in place based on what you have and how to get the maximum performance from that roster.  If I was coaching last year's team, I would've accepted that Derrick was the best option at point guard, for better or worse, and I would've come up with a system to hide his shortcomings offensively and I would've focused on getting Jamil, Steve, Todd, and Davante to take bigger steps forward than what they actually did.

I would be willing to bet that Wojo will give Derrick more than 20 minutes per game this year, and that we will see more or less the same Derrick that we saw last year.  What I also would be willing to bet is that we will see a more consistent Todd, a better Steve, and more production from Deonte and JJJ, as well as others.  That's the problem, if you ask me.  Last year, the players I expected to see take a step forward made very minimal improvements.

It's like when the Packers won the Super Bowl in 2010.  Did we have a weakness at running back?  Absolutely.  So was the Packers game plan to just keep running the ball in hopes that we'd suddenly find a running game?  Nope.  It was to use the weapons we had at quarterback and wide receiver and hide that weakness.  If the Packers had lost in the Wild Card round of the Playoffs that year with Rodgers throwing for only 200 yards, 1 touchdown, and 3 interceptions while the running game got only 50 yards total would everyone say it was the lack of a running game that lost us that game?  No.  They would say our passing game didn't show up, Rodgers played awful, and the blame would lie there.  Could a solid running game have changed the result?  Sure.  But we didn't have it, so we came up with a system where we were effective anyways.  Brent never did that this past year.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:38:55 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
You are right, Derrick did not get significantly better from his sophomore year to his junior year.  I guess my point is this: Going into the season, we knew Derrick would start, even if Duane was healthy.  Did we expect 31 minutes per game?  Even I, as a fan of Derrick (not saying he doesn't have limitations) would not have expected nearly that.  But I did think Derrick would play the most minutes at point guard.  And I did not expect Derrick to average double digit points per game.  Did anybody here?  Derrick was more or less what I thought he would be.  Maybe other people here expected he would be more.

What I did expect was for Jamil to take a step forward and become a consistent threat and a leader on the team.  I did expect Davante to take a step forward and not become seemingly disinterested and pouty in the game at times.  I did not expect Mayo to ride the bench up until the 2nd half of the BE season.  I did not expect Steve to be injured or just sit on the bench all season.  I expected each of these players to provide significantly more than they did, while I expected Derrick to give us about what he gave us.  Is Derrick at fault?  Would a scoring threat at point guard have helped?  Absolutely.  But when you go into a season, you typically have a system in place based on what you have and how to get the maximum performance from that roster.  If I was coaching last year's team, I would've accepted that Derrick was the best option at point guard, for better or worse, and I would've come up with a system to hide his shortcomings offensively and I would've focused on getting Jamil, Steve, Todd, and Davante to take bigger steps forward than what they actually did.

I would be willing to bet that Wojo will give Derrick more than 20 minutes per game this year, and that we will see more or less the same Derrick that we saw last year.  What I also would be willing to bet is that we will see a more consistent Todd, a better Steve, and more production from Deonte and JJJ, as well as others.  That's the problem, if you ask me.  Last year, the players I expected to see take a step forward made very minimal improvements.

It's like when the Packers won the Super Bowl in 2010.  Did we have a weakness at running back?  Absolutely.  So was the Packers game plan to just keep running the ball in hopes that we'd suddenly find a running game?  Nope.  It was to use the weapons we had at quarterback and wide receiver and hide that weakness.  If the Packers had lost in the Wild Card round of the Playoffs that year with Rodgers throwing for only 200 yards, 1 touchdown, and 3 interceptions while the running game got only 50 yards total would everyone say it was the lack of a running game that lost us that game?  No.  They would say our passing game didn't show up, Rodgers played awful, and the blame would lie there.  Could a solid running game have changed the result?  Sure.  But we didn't have it, so we came up with a system where we were effective anyways.  Brent never did that this past year.

I didn't expect much out of Derrick, as I have never been a fan of his. I did however think he would perform much better than 39% fg, 44% ft, and 7% 3 pt. That is the type of offensive production you expected out of him? That is just a dismal display of offense.

As for your point of trying to hide his offensive shortcomings...how do you hide your point guard on offense? Especially when they know he won't shoot outside of 3ft. He is in charge of running your team and you want to hide him? This isn't little league where you hide your worst player out in right field.  C'mon, this is ridiculous.

feedback