[Today at 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bucks sold?!?  (Read 12860 times)

Litehouse

• All American
Re: Bucks sold?!?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 01:34:48 PM »
I want to keep the Bucks around, because I like basketball.  However, I sometimes wonder if MU would get stronger support from the casual local fans if the Bucks weren't here.  Similar to Louisville.  A lot of individuals and businesses that have Bucks tickets might be more interested in getting MU tickets if the Bucks weren't around.  It's one less thing competing for sports fans attention and time/money.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 01:35:13 PM »
We need to keep the Bucks here. The NBA has gone global with offices in at least 15 foreign countries. That puts Milwaukee's name out there abroad, which is important to future economic growth in the city. I read a very good article on this I will have to try to find and link here.

Not to mention that if the Bucks are successful, basketball is elevated in the eyes of everyone. That excitement carries over to MU as well. I remember very well in the early 70's with Jabbar playing here as well as Al at MU. Heyday for hoops in the city.

Those days are gone with the new structure out there.  NBA players don't want to play in Milwaukee, Cleveland, etc.  Players drafted, can't wait to get out.  Just the nature of the beast.

If the Bucks leave, which I highly doubt they will, hoops will have revolve around Marquette.  Just as in Louisville it does with the Cardinals, or Omaha with Creighton, St. Louis with SLU, etc.  Plenty of cities doing just fine without the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc.  I know it stings sports fans and there is this sense the city takes a blow, but Seattle is doing just fine without the Sonics.  LA without a football team.  Miami is no better with a baseball team.  Cities survive just fine, it's the ego part that people have a tough time getting over.

Let the people vote.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:01:27 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2014, 01:42:34 PM »
Wait, Kohl has no kids?

As for the arena being too small for the DNC, I don't think that is true.  Staples Center had the convention.  Hotel space might be more an issue.

it's apparently a combination of a lot of reasons why MKE couldn't land it.

Milwaukee was out of the running before the bids even happened according to the Milwaukee Business Journal. Requirements of 100 skyboxes and the need to have control of the venue two months before the convention put Milwaukee out of the picture.

Some additional requirements are:

At least 200,000 square feet of indoor work space for the media in immediate proximity to the convention facility;
At least 200,000 square feet of outdoor, paved space close to the facility for satellite trucks and other equipment, along with another 180,000 square feet in the immediate proximity for staging of at least 250 vehicles;
A commitment of at least 17,000 full-service hotel rooms and 1,000 suites within 30 minutes of the convention facility. Participating hotels must commit 80 percent of their rooms and 100 percent of meetings and convention space to the convention;
At least 250 buses for the exclusive use of the convention. Buses should have a “clean air” component;
Reserved, 24-hour parking space for at least 5,000 vehicles adjacent to the convention complex.
- See more at: http://www.demconwatchblog.com/tag/2016%20Democratic%20National%20Convention#sthash.HLIRPoT6.dpuf

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 01:43:40 PM »
Wait, Kohl has no kids?

As for the arena being too small for the DNC, I don't think that is true.  Staples Center had the convention.  Hotel space might be more an issue.

Kohl has a lifestyle that precludes a wife.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 01:44:20 PM »
Kohl has a lifestyle that precludes a wife.

I know...I was being sarcastic before

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2014, 01:45:56 PM »
I know...I was being sarcastic before

/facepalm

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2014, 01:50:16 PM »
Wait, Kohl has no kids?

This is the same for NEA. Used to be only seven or so cities in rotation (due to the lack of hotel rooms in other cities), but a few more venues in different cities recently.

Since 2003 and projected til 2019: Chicago, Washington D.C. x3, New Orleans x2, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, San Diego, Minneapolis, Orlando x2, Denver, Boston, Houston, Atlanta.
SS Marquette

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2014, 01:52:19 PM »
When I was with Majerus a couple of years ago, I went out to eat with him, Rich Chaifetz, and a few others. Rick told me that Chaifetz was really interested in buying the Bucks but Kohl was unwilling to sell at that point. Rich is a great guy, has some big money, and he lives in Chicago. I'm sure he would want to keep the Bucks in Milwaukee and he would want to build a winner. I think he would be willing to use additional money to build something in Milwaukee!

He would be a good owner in my opinion. He put an offer on the St. Louis Rams several years ago as well.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2014, 02:07:21 PM »
Nope, no wife, no kids, nothing.  I could see him wanting to leave his legacy as leaving lots of money to build a new stadium.  Kohl Center East.

Most gay men don't have a wife.
But I like to throw handfuls...

source?

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2014, 02:24:39 PM »
Looking at a list of Metropolitan areas in the US larger than Milwaukee AND don't have an NBA team:

Seattle
Riverside, CA
San Diego
St Louis
Tampa
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Kansas City
Columbus
Las Vegas
Cincinnati

Only two metro markets smaller than Mil have NBA teams: OKC and New Orleans

Eh...don't we have Memphis beat too?

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2014, 02:29:52 PM »
Eh...don't we have Memphis beat too?

I don't know the numbers, but I would think not. Memphis is bigger than you think.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2014, 02:38:41 PM »
Please tell me how you know Herb Kohl is gay?

Most gay men don't have a wife.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2014, 02:49:16 PM »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2014, 02:58:07 PM »
Looking at a list of Metropolitan areas in the US larger than Milwaukee AND don't have an NBA team:

Seattle
Riverside, CA
San Diego
St Louis
Tampa
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Kansas City
Columbus
Las Vegas
Cincinnati

Only two metro markets smaller than Mil have NBA teams: OKC and New Orleans

This is the exact reason I would bet serious money that the NBA is doing everything it can to help keep the Bucks in Milwaukee.  Seattle's hunger for a team and their organized advocacy is the NBA's best asset to pressure low-value franchises to build new arenas and otherwise support the NBA.  Seattle's value to the league without a team is greater than its value to the league with a team - that's why the Sonics moving to OKC was a coup for Stern, and its why he's hated in Seattle for his role in helping the OKC deal along.

If the Bucks were to move to Seattle, there is no clear next city in that list to step up and create enough demand to pressure current NBA cities.  The California and Florida cities are too apathetic (see the Heat's draw in MIA). Most of the remaining are rust belt cities (Milwaukee included if the Bucks left) that would require a huge marketing campaign to try to create enough demand for a team to threaten current low-value NBA franchises.

If and when Seattle gets a team, they will likely either (i) move from a city that will be equally pissed/organized as Seattle when they lost the Sonics or (ii) an expansion team after the NBA has fermented demand for a team in another major city.

connie

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »
This is the exact reason I would bet serious money that the NBA is doing everything it can to help keep the Bucks in Milwaukee.  Seattle's hunger for a team and their organized advocacy is the NBA's best asset to pressure low-value franchises to build new arenas and otherwise support the NBA.  Seattle's value to the league without a team is greater than its value to the league with a team - that's why the Sonics moving to OKC was a coup for Stern, and its why he's hated in Seattle for his role in helping the OKC deal along.

If the Bucks were to move to Seattle, there is no clear next city in that list to step up and create enough demand to pressure current NBA cities.  The California and Florida cities are too apathetic (see the Heat's draw in MIA). Most of the remaining are rust belt cities (Milwaukee included if the Bucks left) that would require a huge marketing campaign to try to create enough demand for a team to threaten current low-value NBA franchises.

If and when Seattle gets a team, they will likely either (i) move from a city that will be equally pissed/organized as Seattle when they lost the Sonics or (ii) an expansion team after the NBA has fermented demand for a team in another major city.
Vegas really wants a team, but Stern would never allow them to have one.  Silver may be different.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2014, 03:08:32 PM »
Now is the time to sell; lets not forget what a top pick can add to the value of the franchise too- might be another reason they are lookin at 100 mil higher than Forbes value- a player like lebron, Irving, durant, etc can add significant value to a franchise

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »
Absolutely...tax payer funded.  Always a great idea.  Put it up for vote, let the people decide
steal a page out of bush's deal with the rangers and ride off into the sunset. 

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2014, 03:47:41 PM »
Please tell me how you know Herb Kohl is gay?

I can remember my dad telling me that Kohl would take his buddies into the locker room of the Bucks when Nellie was there.  Nellie would have none of it, because he knew "why" they were there.  I'm not sure how much of that had a role in Nellie's departure from the Bucks or if it's even that true. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »
I read on JSOnline that Kohl wanted to put his own money towards a new stadium.  The article indicated he would put up some of the money and see how people voted on the tax referendum for funding a new arena.  With the capital raised from selling the Bucks, especially @ 500+ million (if that number is true) then I would think that he would build a new facility with his money, much like the Bradley's.  I don't see SE Wisconsin voting for a sales tax increase to support the Bucks especially with their poor record.  The public image of the Bucks is very negative as is a new sales tax supporting them.  Recently, I have seen more positive publicity supporting a new arena, describing it as it is a haven for the "Arts" - concerts, etc.  It seems that the publicity machine is diverging from the negative connotation that the Bucks bring.  Their focus seems to be on concerts, political gatherings, and large conferences ( I believe there's talk that local Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett would like the DNC convention to come to Milwaukee).  The Bradley Center isn't big enough for a DNC convention, so this will come into justification as well.  MU will be used in conjunction at some point as another reason we need a new facility.  

Herb Kohl is 79, and has no heirs.  If the referendum isn't passed, I could see him footing the bill, especially if he rakes in 1/2 billion for the Bucks.  The question is.... what would he call the place with Kohl Center in Madison?

i don't think milwaukee has near the hotel rooms needed for the dnc-one of their big draw backs to be seen as a mecca for conventions.  the people of milwaukee will agree to a new tax on a stadium?  some are still pissed off about the 0.1 of 1% tax for miller park and that place has been highly successful and welcomed with a decent team.  the milwaukee bucks?  not so much
don't...don't don't don't don't

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2014, 04:00:18 PM »
it's apparently a combination of a lot of reasons why MKE couldn't land it.

Milwaukee was out of the running before the bids even happened according to the Milwaukee Business Journal. Requirements of 100 skyboxes and the need to have control of the venue two months before the convention put Milwaukee out of the picture.

Some additional requirements are:

At least 200,000 square feet of indoor work space for the media in immediate proximity to the convention facility;
At least 200,000 square feet of outdoor, paved space close to the facility for satellite trucks and other equipment, along with another 180,000 square feet in the immediate proximity for staging of at least 250 vehicles;
A commitment of at least 17,000 full-service hotel rooms and 1,000 suites within 30 minutes of the convention facility. Participating hotels must commit 80 percent of their rooms and 100 percent of meetings and convention space to the convention;
At least 250 buses for the exclusive use of the convention. Buses should have a “clean air” component;
Reserved, 24-hour parking space for at least 5,000 vehicles adjacent to the convention complex.
- See more at: http://www.demconwatchblog.com/tag/2016%20Democratic%20National%20Convention#sthash.HLIRPoT6.dpuf

http://fox6now.com/2014/03/05/mayor-barrett-says-milwaukee-out-for-2016-dem-national-convention/

Milwaukee was 1 of 30 cities sent a letter by the DNC to make a bid on the 2016 DNC.  Since, it's in summer and Milwaukee has many other events going on that use up resources, Barret decided to not put in a bid. 

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2014, 06:22:11 PM »
http://fox6now.com/2014/03/05/mayor-barrett-says-milwaukee-out-for-2016-dem-national-convention/

Milwaukee was 1 of 30 cities sent a letter by the DNC to make a bid on the 2016 DNC.  Since, it's in summer and Milwaukee has many other events going on that use up resources, Barret decided to not put in a bid. 

I doubt Milwaukee would get it anyway. They hardly have the hotel accommodations for an event that large. This has caused larger conventions to leave the city in the past.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2014, 06:36:13 PM »
Howard Starbucks repeatedly said he wouldn't sell to anyone who would move the team. After one lame duck season the Sonics were the Thunder

Damn West Coast, no Midwestern values!!!!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2014, 06:51:50 PM »
Vegas really wants a team, but Stern would never allow them to have one.  Silver may be different.

After the debacle of the all-star game in Vegas, I doubt it.  I was there, with the NBA.  It was unbelievable and the words at the time were...NEVER.   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2014, 06:56:45 PM »
steal a page out of bush's deal with the rangers and ride off into the sunset. 

As long as the people get to vote for it, as they did there, I'm fine with it.  The people of Arlington voted by a 2 to 1 margin for it.  It's the BS backroom dealings that I don't care for.  If the people think raising taxes for an arena or stadium is a good idea, then have at it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2014, 07:00:44 PM »
Wait, Kohl has no kids?

No. But like Pres. Buchanan he has a traveling companion.

Death on call