'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jabari Parker leaning toward staying, If so, Duke Oversigned by 1  (Read 18237 times)

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: Jabari Parker leaning toward staying, If so, Duke Oversigned by 1
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2014, 03:12:09 PM »
Money talks.

Never do something for free if you're good at it.

1 more year in college could benefit him down the road.  Not to mention, it's less wear and tear on his body and will allow him to mature mentally in a more controlled environment. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2014, 03:31:49 PM »

I think Duke loses 5    Tyler T..Josh H..Andrew D...Todd Z  (All seniors)  and Alex Murphy transfer to Florida.  With 4 commits they still have 1 more including Parker.  Semi would be a steal if Wojo is lucky!!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2014, 03:33:01 PM »
Money talks.

I guess we won't be seeing Hards volunteering for any charities anytime soon.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »
I guess we won't be seeing Hards volunteering for any charities anytime soon.

You won't see me giving up a year of income to volunteer for a charity (plus I wouldn't call the NCAA a charity  :D), no.

I doubt anyone else here would... and I'm not even getting paid millions... yet  :P

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2014, 03:42:09 PM »
See ya Mario and Satch---there's the door. Come on down Semi .

reinko

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2014, 04:06:40 PM »
Respectfully disagree. He will mature, and grow as a player at Duke. IMO, good enough to play in the NBA right now (obviously) but to be a star? Won't another year under Coach K help that?.... That, plus the chance to not lose in the first second round of the NCAAs?

Eh. Maybe I am the fool.

http://deadspin.com/marcus-smart-did-the-right-thing-and-look-where-it-go-1546498463

brandx

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2014, 04:12:49 PM »
I'll say it.

If Jabari stays in school, he is a fool.

I'm surprised Jabari hasn't called you for advice since you seem to know what is best for him.

And if there is a "fool" contest between you and Jabari, guess who I will declare the winner.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2014, 05:09:10 PM »
http://deadspin.com/marcus-smart-did-the-right-thing-and-look-where-it-go-1546498463
The same people who say you develop better in college are the same people who think college players are better shooters or the idiots that think the best college team could beat the worse NBA team.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2014, 05:13:34 PM »

The most moral man in college basketball ... John Calipari.

All of this is why John Calipari is the smartest and, in his slickster way, the most honest man in college basketball. His sales pitch to the best of the best NBA prospects is that his style of basketball will prepare his players for their ultimate goal: NBA success. Calipari has delivered on this promise by getting an average of 3.25 Kentucky players drafted in the first round since he's been there.

And—funny coincidence—getting the best pro prospects also help you win games in college, too. Calipari's Kentucky teams have won 80.3 percent of their games, narrowly behind Kansas, Duke, Syracuse, and Ohio State (in that order) for the best clip in major conference basketball since '09-'10. By gathering up the best NBA talent and sending them right into the pros, Kentucky ensures that their current players capitalize on that happy medium between revealed talent and projectable potential while continuing to attract the next batch of superstars to follow in those guys' wake. It's a win-win for the parties that matter most.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »
I'm surprised Jabari hasn't called you for advice since you seem to know what is best for him.

And if there is a "fool" contest between you and Jabari, guess who I will declare the winner.

Panties in a bunch today?

If you agree with him staying in school you are a Grade A Moron.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2014, 06:44:46 PM »
Shayok and Peirce are gone

IWB confirm that for you?
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

brandx

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2014, 06:49:55 PM »
Panties in a bunch today?

If you agree with him staying in school you are a Grade A Moron.

Don't agree or disagree. He'll do what's best for himself without my help.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2014, 06:52:19 PM »
Don't agree or disagree. He'll do what's best for himself without my help.

Logically justify him staying in school when he is a top 3 pick.

You just can't!  Loss of money, guaranteed shorter career, increased risk of injury, increased chance people 'figure him out'...

The only 'positive' is that he may win a National Championship at Duke.  Yikes. 

redbirdwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2014, 06:55:37 PM »
Other than Quin Snyder going to Missouri most Duke assistants started at schools that were "too far down" for a top 20 kid to consider.  And in the Missouri case, they were also a bad team at that time.

Wojo is going to the strongest and highest profile team of any Duke assistant for this first job.

Duke Assistant first Head Coaching Job
Tommy Amaker: Seton Hall (1997–2001)
Bob Bender: Washington (1993–2002)
Mike Brey: Delaware (1995–2000)
Jeff Capel: VCU (2002–2006)
Chris Collins: Northwestern (2013–present)
Johnny Dawkins: Stanford (2008–present)
Mike Dement: UNC Greensboro (1991–1995)
David Henderson: Delaware (2000–2006)
Bobby Hurley: Buffalo (2013–present)
Tim O'Toole: Fairfield (1998–2006)
Quin Snyder: Missouri (1999–2006)
Steve Wojciechowski: Marquette (2014–present)

Bender's Baseline Bunch actually started at Illinois State, proving your point even more.

brandx

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2014, 07:13:50 PM »

You just can't!  Loss of money, guaranteed shorter career, increased risk of injury, increased chance people 'figure him out'...

Quality of life. Some people place a lot of value in it. I can't speak for Jabari anymore than you can.

Staying would delay his big contract for one year. He could just as easily get injured during his rookie contract. I have no doubt he will have some type of insurance policy if he does decide to stay.

My guess is that he will opt for the draft making all of this a moot point.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2014, 07:18:49 PM »
Quality of life. Some people place a lot of value in it. I can't speak for Jabari anymore than you can.

Staying would delay his big contract for one year. He could just as easily get injured during his rookie contract. I have no doubt he will have some type of insurance policy if he does decide to stay.

My guess is that he will opt for the draft making all of this a moot point.

Jabari is going to be one of the most marketable athletes not just in the NBA, but in all of sports.  He will be able to make up for that one year with his sizable endorsement contracts.

Also, the incoming Duke recruiting class is legit. Would be MU's starting lineup playing 4 v. 5.  Duke will be the heavily favored NC next yr.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2014, 07:22:52 PM »

He may be enjoying himself at Duke and want to have another year there. He comes from a religious family and money may not be the most important thing to him even if he didn't have it growing up. He seems to be a kid with a good head on his shoulders capable of making a reasoned decision.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2014, 07:23:57 PM »

I acknowledged in an earlier comment that it's not about logic.

Love isn't logical, either, and yet folks fall in love every day.

Again, maybe Parker simply wants to be a student one more year for a variety of reasons. I respect him for whatever decision he makes. I surely wouldn't call him a fool or moron, either way.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Norm

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »
When did Bobby Hurley serve as an assistant at Duke? I don't recall him ever coaching there.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2014, 07:35:36 PM »
Money talks.

You must abhor volunteer work and pro bono stuff

;)

WesMatthewsFanClub

• Walk-On
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2014, 07:46:14 PM »

Fair points. More so than anything else, I think Parker would come back to win and advance farther in the NCAAs. Wants to win. I do agree the maturation arguments are a bit weak. Agree with much of the article, but would like to see Parker back at Duke. And that is selfish, as I don't watch as much of the NBA.

And for what it's worth, I suspect Parker is much less likely to have an "altercation" a la Marcus Smart. (not that it means anything).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2014, 07:50:46 PM »
Fair points. More so than anything else, I think Parker would come back to win and advance farther in the NCAAs. Wants to win. I do agree the maturation arguments are a bit weak. Agree with much of the article, but would like to see Parker back at Duke. And that is selfish, as I don't watch as much of the NBA.

And for what it's worth, I suspect Parker is much less likely to have an "altercation" a la Marcus Smart. (not that it means anything).

Don't you think having a subpar season contributed to smart's hair trigger?

If Parker has a subpar season at Duke next season, and Duke is disappointing, and Parker goes into the crowd at UNC to save a ball, and comes face to face with rapid tar-heel fans ... You positive nothing comes of it?

WesMatthewsFanClub

• Walk-On
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2014, 07:52:40 PM »
Don't you think having a subpar season contributed to smart's hair trigger?

If Parker has a subpar season at Duke next season, and Duke is disappointing, and Parker goes into the crowd at UNC to save a ball, and comes face to face with rapid tar-heel fans ... You positive nothing comes of it?

Would be foolish to be completely certain on something like that. Not possible.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2014, 07:59:02 PM »
Parker's supporting cast is much better than Smart's.  Duke is going to be the Miami heat of CBB.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2014, 09:32:32 PM »
You won't see me giving up a year of income to volunteer for a charity (plus I wouldn't call the NCAA a charity  :D), no.

I doubt anyone else here would... and I'm not even getting paid millions... yet  :P

Well, the NCAA does have 501(c)3 status, so yeah... it's pretty much a charity.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback