Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cuonzo- ESPN top 100  (Read 11904 times)

NotAnAlum

• All American
Re: Cuonzo- ESPN top 100
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2014, 11:28:37 PM »
All this raises concerns BUT the admin is making this a choice between CM and Wojo who with all the resources of the Duke program only rates the 17th best recruiting assistant in D1.  If we had a choice of the assistant at Kansas who is the number 1 rated recruiter then I'd take a flyer on that assistant in the hope he can become a good head coach.
Martin's staff all has Midwest roots.  Maybe they just didn't connect well with the AAU programs down there.  I know from having lived in eastern Tenn there is a strong anti-Northener biases there.  Maybe when he is able to work Chicago where his first assistance Tracy Webster was highly thought of and where may guys will remember Cuonzo from his Purdue stardom he'll do better.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2014, 11:29:48 PM »
My point being that big state schools have a huge advantage with the name on their chest.

Some in the industry will also argue that having football is a great recruiting tool.  Often basketball players come in to see campus when the football team is playing a big game, as an example.  Others will argue that a basketball only school can appeal more to a basketball player because it shows they are king of the hill at that school.  Different strokes for different folks.

I've always wondered how having a small campus affected MU's recruiting.  To contrast, seeing Madison in summer/fall is amazing with the lake, the frat houses, people grilling, having fun, etc.  There's a lot of energy.  You don't get the same feeling when you go to MU.  

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2014, 11:30:07 PM »
Since this thread was about ESPN top 100, that's the recruiting service I used.

Wesley Waspun 2 stars    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/126851/wesley-washpun
Quinton Chievous 2 stars   http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/123944/quinton-chievous
Yemi Makanjuola 2 stars  http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/138847/yemi-makanjuola
Armani Moore 2 stars  http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/156215/armani-moore
Derek Reese 2 stars  http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/143529/derek-reese

Five in the last three years, that seems like more than one's fair share for a high major program. 

In Chievous's defense he was criminally under ranked. Saw him play many times in high school. Dad coached against him and he was one of the best players in the area maybe even the state his senior year.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2014, 11:34:51 PM »
Alarms...maybe.  I hope he turns out well, but certainly important unanswered questions that are out there, but the ranks are already closing and you can already see some MU fans that don't want to ask these questions and are ready to call those that do not fans, or haters or whatever.  It's like clockwork.  Sadly.

I'll give MU credit for at least hiring someone away from a power conference, something we haven't done maybe ever.  As to aiming high and all that stuff...well I guess we find out in 5 years.  Not overly excited, but he'll have my support unless he cheats or does something stupid like the Buzzard did with some of this actions...the squirmy ones.

Yes, I've been dealing with detractors all night.  Nonetheless, I will continue to ask critical questions.  I did just see an article that said MU asked Gene Keady for his reference on Martin.  Had to subscribe to read the rest of it, but that was just released. 

I think MU is still gathering as much information as possible.  If they have to go to Keady for his reference, then you can tell that MU isn't set on anyone just yet.  They're doing their due diligence, which means this isn't going to be a slam dunk hire.  It would be quite interesting to see the war room on this one. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2014, 11:45:01 PM »
In Chievous's defense he was criminally under ranked. Saw him play many times in high school. Dad coached against him and he was one of the best players in the area maybe even the state his senior year.

That may be the case, but even if so having 4 other guys ranked that way for a high major is...well...stunning.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2014, 11:47:24 PM »
Not haters, Marquette educated alums asking questions.

I see he has two 5 star recruits, also seemed to have a fair share of 2 star recruits.  The latter doesn't seem to be mentioned very often here.

I don't think you can characterize MikeDeanesDarkGlasses' posts as educated alums asking questions. He is clearly working an anti Cuonzo agenda.

Look, I'm not advocating for Martin to be hired. I'm simply saying that I don't believe it would be a terrible hire based on the "evidence" that people have presented on this board. I trust that MU will do their due diligence, and I will support the new coach.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2014, 11:50:37 PM »
I don't think you can characterize MikeDeanesDarkGlasses' posts as educated alums asking questions. He is clearly working an anti Cuonzo agenda.

Look, I'm not advocating for Martin to be hired. I'm simply saying that I don't believe it would be a terrible hire based on the "evidence" that people have presented on this board. I trust that MU will do their due diligence, and I will support the new coach.

Agenda?  I didn't want the guy, because he's a poor recruiter that has minimal talent on his team for 2014.  It doesn't matter at this point, because he's not in the mix anymore.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2014, 11:59:18 PM »

Perhaps.  There are people here pro one guy, anti another guy if you look at it on the surface, but I suspect there are also people just trying to ask legitimate questions.  All in all, to me the dialogue has been mostly balanced with a few items that weren't great, but that's a message board (that's not a knock on him, those comments come from all over the place, including me).

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2014, 12:02:56 AM »
Perhaps.  There are people here pro one guy, anti another guy if you look at it on the surface, but I suspect there are also people just trying to ask legitimate questions.  All in all, to me the dialogue has been mostly balanced with a few items that weren't great, but that's a message board (that's not a knock on him, those comments come from all over the place, including me).

Never disagreed that there are people trying to ask legitimate questions, but your response to me was about my response to a poster that doesn't fit that category.

I have zero problem with balanced dialogue you are talking about. I'm not a Martin guy, but I think some of the detractors were a little irrational and over the top.