[Today at 08:44:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[Today at 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[Today at 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo  (Read 28190 times)

texaswarrior74

• All American
Re: Wojo
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 06:28:20 PM »
UNC fans can't stop laughing...

Joke is that wojo didn't even know he was a candidate ...k faxed in his resume...

I hate that we are being laughed at in this search

This would be a terrible hire...

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 06:28:42 PM »
It took Tommy Amaker until his third job before he finally found success. MU must not want Howland to be floating all these other candidates out there.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 06:28:51 PM »

ScoopReader

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 06:29:32 PM »
For all the people bashing Duke Assistants who have left to take HC positions I don't quite follow. Especially since I don't think many people have left Duke to take over at a program that is anywhere comparable to Marquette.

Tommy Amaker was unimpressive at Michigan and Seton Hall but has done a great job at Harvard.
Mike Brey has been consistent at ND
Johnny Dawkins hasn't been a flop at Stanford
Quin Snyder - Arguably the worst head coach to leave Duke

I think given what Marquette has to offer and the commitment to basketball that WOJO could be successful here. Not my top choice, but I think everyone who is freaking out about this possibly happening is crazy. WOJO is a much better candidate now than Buzz was when he was hired.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 06:29:42 PM »
This hire would be flat out embarassing

Im with you on that..this would suck!

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2014, 06:30:26 PM »

Joke is that wojo didn't even know he was a candidate ...k faxed in his resume...

This would be embarrassing!

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 06:30:58 PM »
Ugh. My high school coach was pretty good. Add him to the list.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
Is this sarcasm?  Your best superlative is 'consistent' followed by 'third times a charm'

For all the people bashing Duke Assistants who have left to take HC positions I don't quite follow. Especially since I don't think many people have left Duke to take over at a program that is anywhere comparable to Marquette.

Tommy Amaker was unimpressive at Michigan and Seton Hall but has done a great job at Harvard.

I think given what Marquette has to offer and the commitment to basketball that WOJO could be successful here. Not my top choice, but I think everyone who is freaking out about this possibly happening is crazy. WOJO is a much better candidate now than Buzz was when he was hired.

brandx

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 06:34:18 PM »
We are just all over the map, aren't we.

Hopefully. We should be interviewing several top assistants.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2014, 06:34:37 PM »
It took Tommy Amaker until his third job before he finally found success. MU must not want Howland to be floating all these other candidates out there.

Actually, Amaker did well at his first job, given the mess he took over at Seton Hall, and landed some great talent there.
Then he got in over his head at Michigan.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 06:35:54 PM »

MU should totes operate their coaching search based on what UNC people think.
Cause, you know, Bill Guthridge and Matt Doherty.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2014, 06:36:30 PM »
This sucks. Should have known better than to get my hopes up. Not a stepping stone school my ass, actions speak louder than words.
This guy will either fail and be gone in 4 years or have success and be gone in 5. Probably back to Duke.  

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »
From InsideCarolina

"RE: Dook losing their big man coach to Marq?
You would think by now after watching nearly all of K's assistants fail at big programs "

Feel sorry for Marquette if this is true. Really sorry."

At least they consider us a big program....

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2014, 06:38:46 PM »
I"ll rather have Nate James

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2014, 06:40:20 PM »
MU should totes operate their coaching search based on what UNC people think.
Cause, you know, Bill Guthridge and Matt Doherty.

Guthridge was a move forced by Dean....Doh hire proved that great player doesn't equal great coach...both were hired by former AD who did what Dean told him to do....alums stepped in to get Roy

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 06:42:38 PM »
Steve Wojciechowski has been at Duke for almost 20 years. He played for Mike Krzyzewski from 1994 to 1998 and has coached there ever since he graduated. He’s been a part of two national championships and has helped coach Team USA for the last eight years.
In short, he knows what it means to be a part of something special – and right now, what Duke’s football team is doing is special.
“I’ll tell you what, the excitement is incredible with what Coach (David) Cutcliffe and the football team have done around here in building just a terrific culture,” Wojciechowski said on The Morning Show. “The school has embraced it, the student body has embraced it and certainly we’re all proud to watch them and the job that they’ve done. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen at Duke since I’ve been at Duke, and it’s going on 20 years. The time has come. And Coach Cutcliffe and his staff have got Duke football heading in an amazing direction.”
No. 20 Duke (10-2) plays No. 1 Florida State (12-0) for the ACC Championship this Saturday. The Blue Devils are 29-point underdogs.
Of course, should Cutcliffe need any advice on how to build or maintain a program, there’s a certain basketball coach at Duke he can approach.
“Our program certainly has been very supportive of the football program,” Wojciechowski said, “but I think the school in general has made a bigger commitment to seeing and helping the football program be successful. So I think it starts at the very top.”
Wojciechowski added that Duke’s basketball team, which is ranked 10th nationally, is extremely excited for the football team.
“A lot of our guys are close to football players,” he said. “A lot of times on campuses, the guys you find yourself around the most outside of your own team are the other athletes, whether it’s the men’s or women’s sports. Our guys are really excited for what’s going on for the football team and their players.”
As for the rest of Duke’s 6,000 undergrads?
“I think they’re having the time of their life,” Wojciechowski said.
Wojciechowski said it obviously takes an incredible commitment from coaches and players to take a program from obscurity to prominence.
“You go through adversity,” he said. “You have to become tougher and stronger from both mental and physical standpoints. Our players, we’ve been able to sustain success. Hopefully it’s helped their friends learn how to build and create this successful movement that the football program is having.”
Wojciechowski has been on Duke’s sideline for more than 15 years. He’s had opportunities to become a head coach but has turned them down. One day, however, he won’t.
“I have had chances (to leave), and I want to be a head coach,” he said, “but I have to balance that. I have a special situation here. One, I was able to start coaching at a real young age (22). I started younger than most. I’ve had some amazing experiences at Duke. I think that’ll prepare me when the time comes when I am a head coach.
“I love Duke,” he continued. “I love working for Coach K. But I also want to have my own program. When the time’s right, I’ll know it. And it’ll be right for me. It’ll be right for my wife and my kids. And hopefully when that time comes, I’ll be ready to build my own program that’s similar to the one we have here in terms of having high-character kids – guys who, when they step between the lines, play as hard as they possibly can for each other.
“There’s a few times I’ve been (close to leaving). I think that time is approaching.”
play
Steve Wojciechowski
December 5, 2013

Wojo - Seems to me that he'll wait until Coach K retires.  5+ years to go buddy!!! 

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 06:43:02 PM »
God no...hire howland already and get us out of this miserable March.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 06:43:18 PM »
Was Shaka a smokescreen for Wojo???

mike_long

• Walk-On
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2014, 06:43:43 PM »

So let me summarize what you told us: it took one guy 3 times to get it right, but its a team in the ivy league. One guy is "consistent" (great!), and the other guy "hasnt been a flop." It's not bashing if the complaint or the "bashing" has complete factual basis that Duke assistants dont get the job done. Come back with a stronger argument than these 3 guys and maybe I'll listen

Class71

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 06:44:07 PM »

Makes complete sense, Howland is a winner but someone doesn't like him? Hopefully that is not the reason. If we hire another assistant or second stringer I am going to look for some old Al tapes to fill the season. This is getting completely out of hand. It appears MU needs leadership.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2014, 06:46:24 PM »
This must be our prep to feel good about Wardle.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2014, 06:49:08 PM »
K dropped the "five more years" line this week...needs Wojo to fly the coop, if Wojo succeeds he can at least get in the running for his successor.  He's got as much name recognition as any assistant, suppose it's worth an interview and based on where it seems we are with the search who knows.  Not an impact hire, but I think that potential has already passed.  

Guess the strategy for this search is to keep our name in the news by floating a different candidate every day, and see which candidates can embarrass us the most by mere mention, or with the double whammy of turning us down too.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10699928/marquette-golden-eagles-target-steve-wojciechowski-coaching-job

Still says Howland is "extremely interested".  Lets see if we can get a few more assistants or below average coaches to turn us down instead.  Quick, let's read that SI story and introduce some poor arguments about him being too old or not able to recruit here or having baggage...I think the best argument is that our leadership would be too threatened to give the keys to an accomplished coach and back away while he goes to work.

tweakers_suck

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2014, 06:49:42 PM »
This must be our prep to feel good about Wardle.

We need to bottom out somewhere .....

Enjoy the ride? That seems to be said a lot around here.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2014, 06:50:18 PM »
From InsideCarolina

You would think by now after watching nearly all of K's assistants fail at big programs "

Feel sorry for Marquette if this is true. Really sorry."

At least they consider us a big program....

I have no opinion about Wojo either way.

But posting this is like asking the democrats what they think about the republican candidate.

Useless info

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2014, 06:50:58 PM »
'Last July ESPN.com ranked Wojciechowski as the nation’s 17th best recruiting assistant coaches, noting “he’s both feared and respected. Wojo has been a key reason for the Blue Devils’ success on the recruiting trail and has helped land guys like Chris Duhon, JJ Redick, Shavlik Randolph, Kyle Singler, Shelden Williams and Josh McRoberts.”

http://painttouches.com/2014/03/30/yahoo-marquette-targeting-duke-assistant-steve-wojciechowski/