Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo  (Read 28160 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Wojo
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2014, 08:25:07 PM »
I could get on board with Wojo to MU, even if he is a Pole.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2014, 08:31:20 PM »
Such a crap shoot with Wojo...I will say when it was Wojo and K on staff and no Nate James, Capel on staff, it was traditional city for a period of 5 years there.

mike_long

• Walk-On
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2014, 09:04:22 PM »
You're missing the point.
What Quin Snyder or Mike Brey or Johnny Dawkins or any other Duke assistant accomplished as a head coach has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on Wojo's future success/lack of success as a head coach. None. Zero. Zilch.

He'll rise or fall on his own merits. It's borderline retarded to suggest what Bob Bender did at Washington and Quin Snyder did at Mizzou a decade ago has some bearing on the futures of Chris Collins or Steve Wojciechowski.

Some of you guys get caught up in such irrelevant bull----. Six years ago, it was "the process," as if MU's failure to follow some proscribed process in hiring Brent had anything to do with whether or not he could coach and recruit.
Now it's the "coaching tree," as if what some other former Duke guy did at another school in 2004 has any effect on Wojo could do at Marquette today.
Ugh.

Obviously, he is his own man. But stating that his success or failure is solely based on his merits is simply wrong. Assistant coaches learn/absorb/develop much of their coaching style/technique from their boss. Not saying an assistant is identical to their coach but you cant say a head coach doesnt have any influence on his assistants. So yes, comparing other coaches to Wojo is completely fair. The FACT is that Duke assistants do not succeed at a head coach level. It is statistically proven. You can argue til your blue in the face about it, but you will be wrong.

And dont say the word retarded, it makes you sound more ignorant than your argument already is.

mike_long

• Walk-On
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2014, 09:05:11 PM »
Obviously, he is his own man. But stating that his success or failure is solely based on his merits is simply wrong. Assistant coaches learn/absorb/develop much of their coaching style/technique from their boss. Not saying an assistant is identical to their coach but you cant say a head coach doesnt have any influence on his assistants. So yes, comparing other coaches to Wojo is completely fair. The FACT is that Duke assistants do not succeed at a head coach level. It is statistically proven. You can argue til your blue in the face about it, but you will be wrong.

And dont say the word retarded, it makes you sound more ignorant than your argument already is, and it's incredibly offensive.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2014, 09:09:24 PM »
I believe Wojo is or was in MKE.  He has also been contacted by Cal.

Sailfish30

• Walk-On
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »
Not sure i follow.  Obvious your a Carolina fan but you said FACT?  Dawkins, Snyder, Amaker, and Brey have all been successful and not failures.  Jeff Capel has winning pct over 65 pct.  Have they been coach k? No!  But time will tell.  If you want to see failure look at Jason capel, buzz Peterson etc.  Marquette could do worse than a assistant to coach K

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2014, 09:11:11 PM »
Maybe there's some sort of coaches clinic in Milwaukee this weekend. Seems like there's as many guys here, as there will be in Dallas next week.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2014, 09:24:02 PM »

And dont say the word retarded, it makes you sound more ignorant than your argument already is.

I'm sorry if you're offended by my word choice.

That out of the way, excellent straw man post. Nobody suggested a head coach has no influence over his assistants. Nobody said anything close to that.
Rather, I'm pointing out the stupidity (offensive?) of trying to link Wojo's fate as a head coach - wherever that may be - to that of Quin Snyder, Mike Brey or whoever else you want to name. Every coach, every situation is different. Quin Snyder didn't flame out at Mizzou because he was a Duke assistant, he flamed out at Mizzou because he had dubious ethics and brought in kids of questionable character, then let them run the asylum. Mike Brey has been just decent not because he coached under Coach K, but because he's in charge of a program that strives for nothing more than to be just decent, and he's OK with that.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:31:08 PM by Pakuni »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2014, 09:26:59 PM »
Not sure i follow.  Obvious your a Carolina fan but you said FACT?  Dawkins, Snyder, Amaker, and Brey have all been successful and not failures.  Jeff Capel has winning pct over 65 pct.  Have they been coach k? No!  But time will tell.  If you want to see failure look at Jason capel, buzz Peterson etc.  Marquette could do worse than a assistant to coach K

Snyder?  What are you talking about.

Dawkins, took over a program that went to the NCAAs 13 of the previous 14 years and managed to miss the NCAAs 5 straight years.

Amaker....maybe.

Brey, yes.

Sailfish30

• Walk-On
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2014, 09:29:23 PM »
Snyder?  What are you talking about.

Dawkins, took over a program that went to the NCAAs 13 of the previous 14 years and managed to miss the NCAAs 5 straight years.

Amaker....maybe.

Brey, yes.
snyder had a good run at Missouri.  He got in some recruiting trouble but had a good record.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2014, 09:49:14 PM »
snyder had a good run at Missouri.  He got in some recruiting trouble but had a good record.

Yes, got in some recruiting trouble.  He resigned and hasn't coached in DI since, instead opting for the NBA and other teams.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2014, 10:00:39 PM »
Well, you know what they say -

When you can hire an assistant over a three-time final four coach that wants to be here....you GOTTA take the assistant.

#impacthire

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2014, 10:09:33 PM »
the most successful coach from that tree is probably brey?  i wouldn't want him at mu. 

i hate all things duke, so i have a bias, but at this point wojo can only dream to make an elite 8 someday.  martin's done it.  i'm not sure wojo could even compete with collins in the midwest.  he's been sitting at duke for a while for a reason. 

have i mentioned i'd like howland?

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2014, 10:20:48 PM »
I don't understand if Howland really wants the job and Danny Manning might (key word) be interested if only someone called him, how we fall all the way down to Wojo. This may turn out to be a good hire, but it is nowhere near an impact hire.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2014, 10:57:43 PM »
Wojo is one of the top if not the top assistant in the nation. The main is considered a top recruiter and has spent the last 20 years learning from arguably the best coach in the business.

WHY THE HELL ARE WE COMPLAINING?

Seriously, someone explain this to me. Is he some pariah that I am not aware of? Trust me, I would have loved Shaka Smart but he's not walking through that door. I don't see a better option than Wojo.

This is a great hire for Marquette and will raise our program to new heights. I bet he manages to keep all of our players and 3/4 of next year's recruits.

I'm pretty sure after Smart fell through, no hire was going to make this group happy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2014, 11:09:21 PM »
Wojo is one of the top if not the top assistant in the nation. The main is considered a top recruiter and has spent the last 20 years learning from arguably the best coach in the business.

WHY THE HELL ARE WE COMPLAINING?

Seriously, someone explain this to me. Is he some pariah that I am not aware of? Trust me, I would have loved Shaka Smart but he's not walking through that door. I don't see a better option than Wojo.

This is a great hire for Marquette and will raise our program to new heights. I bet he manages to keep all of our players and 3/4 of next year's recruits.

I'm pretty sure after Smart fell through, no hire was going to make this group happy.

TAMU, my concern is that when you are at DUKE things are just a lot easier.  You select, you don't recruit.  It's a bubble.  He, in particular, has NEVER been outside of that bubble which is concerning.

Now, someone can say UCLA is like that as well.  To a large extent they are correct, though Howland proved it at Pitt and Northern Arizona as well.  I'm not saying Howland is the guy, but if I had the choice between the two it would be Howland. 

Wojo loses recruits to Kentucky, UNC, UCLA, Louisville.  How frustrated is he going to be when he loses recruits to Iowa State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, St. John's, etc? 

I worry that he's been in that bubble way too long.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2014, 11:13:32 PM »
Looks like Wojo is the second choice. If TN wants to keep Martin then we get Wojo.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2014, 11:14:37 PM »
By the way, ben howland is out of the picture.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2014, 11:16:55 PM »
I don't understand if Howland really wants the job and Danny Manning might (key word) be interested if only someone called him, how we fall all the way down to Wojo. This may turn out to be a good hire, but it is nowhere near an impact hire.

I don't get the obsession with an "impact hire." It's almost as if some of us are so stung by Brent leaving that we're more concerned with the validation of hiring a name coach than we are with getting the right guy.

I've gone on record as saying I'd be happy with Howland, but I also can see why he's not the slam dunk hire some seem to think he is. His run at UCLA ended very badly, not just failing to meet expectations on the court, but numerous off court issues and the highly questionable recruiting saga of Shabazz Muhammed. It's not unreasonable for the administration having some concerns there and at least consider alternatives.

Six years ago, the "impact hires" would have been Trent Johnson leaving Stanford for LSU (run out of town after four years); Tom Crean leaving Marquette for Indiana (mixed results, in a tenuous spot without a deep run next year); OSU hiring Travis Ford from UMass (on the hot seat); Cal landing Mike Montgomery after his disastrous NBA run (solid hire, but about to retire); and Providence hiring reigning Coach of the Year Keno Davis from Drake (fired after three seasons).
Some of these guys - Keno and Ford in particular - were being begged for by Scoopers.

In the meantime, along with Montgomery, the best hires that year were assistants Buzz Williams (Marquette), Geno Ford (Kent) and Cuonzo Martin (Missouri State).

Let's be more worried about getting the right guy than the guy who's name is going to be most recognizable on SportsCenter.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2014, 11:18:36 PM »

What are your sources for your last two posts?
Or are you the source?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2014, 11:41:39 PM »

Yup.   

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2014, 12:09:27 AM »

Not out of the picture. Just put on the back burner
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2014, 12:12:41 AM »
TAMU, my concern is that when you are at DUKE things are just a lot easier.  You select, you don't recruit.  It's a bubble.  He, in particular, has NEVER been outside of that bubble which is concerning.

Now, someone can say UCLA is like that as well.  To a large extent they are correct, though Howland proved it at Pitt and Northern Arizona as well.  I'm not saying Howland is the guy, but if I had the choice between the two it would be Howland. 

Wojo loses recruits to Kentucky, UNC, UCLA, Louisville.  How frustrated is he going to be when he loses recruits to Iowa State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, St. John's, etc? 

I worry that he's been in that bubble way too long.

Those are all fair points and inspire debate and discussion. But the comments like "I'd rather have clahmydia" etc just pis me off.

Whoever we hire, I will welcome with open arms.

And while I see your points, I see the opposite. If you are used to battling Kentucky, UNC, Louisville, etc and winning, then imagine what you can do when you are battling Iowa State, Wisconsin, etc.
TAMU

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2014, 12:13:47 AM »
What are your sources for your last two posts?
Or are you the source?

I posted the link in another thread

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2014, 12:18:54 AM »
I posted the link in another thread

I looked through your past posts. No links posted that mention Howland being out of the picture. Please clarify.

feedback