[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT: Mortgage Rates  (Read 9391 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
Re: OT: Mortgage Rates
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 09:09:57 AM »
I'm hoping that interest rates skyrocket. One of the main reasons I went for an FHA loan was for the rules around transferring/assumption of the mortgage.

When (if) rates start climbing again, it should be very easy for me to sell my house because I can offer the buyer cheap money :)

The wife and I recently realized that home ownership is not for us. Being DINKs and never really wanting kids, I'd rather be more mobile than being stuck in one area of one city. Additionally, homes are much more expensive than just the mortgage. The upkeep + the time investment to maintain a home... I'd rather be doing a lot of other things with my time & money.

I guess it's nice to know all of that in my mid 30s. It's an expensive way to learn a lesson, though :)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 09:21:01 AM »
Everything is pointing towards a large increase.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 10:48:15 AM »
I live in a high cost of living area (Boston)... Without 20% down (which a minimum out here is at least $70K),  seems like such a bigger risk to go out and buy, versus renting.   Obviously the Mrs and I have to then maximize things like savings and retirement in the money we save from a mortgage.   Any other thoughts from folks that live in areas of the country like this (NYC,  DC,  Seattle,  SF...

Who says you need 20% down?  We're not exactly in the type of rural area where you can get 2,000 square feet for $100k, but found an undervalued property in a perennially strong neighborhood.  Plus, we were able to lock at 3.5% last year. 

So we're paying PMI of $200/month, yeah, but that will go away soon -- and it's a small price to pay for the opportunity to build equity in a major U.S. city.

I totally agree that buying a house isn't always the best financial decision, especially if your money can do more for you in the market.  But I shudder at the amount that I've paid in rent since graduating, and I'm happy to be on the other side now.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 09:18:45 PM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 08:00:35 AM »

So we're paying PMI of $200/month, yeah, but that will go away soon -- and it's a small price to pay for the opportunity to build equity in a major U.S. city.

This is something I started paying after my refi last year.  I'm at $75/month.  I never had to pay in the previous 13 years of home ownership.  The "value" of my home went down.  The worst part is I only need to pay it for about 18 months and I should be better than 80%-20% by the end of 2014 so in some ways it feels like I'm getting ripped-off.

I still eliminated 3 years of my mortgage and am paying $25 less a month even with the PMI after the refi.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 08:11:21 AM »
Don't make very much, eh?
sort of douchey comment, eh?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 08:36:37 AM »
Don't make very much, eh?

Guess not.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:22:07 AM by Bleuteaux »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 09:17:01 AM »
NM
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2014, 07:52:28 PM »
Be confident. Float if the decision is between 4.625% or floating. (If you were in at 4.50% I'd tell you stay there.)
If rates rise past 4.625% next week, I'll pay you $20. If you're able to secure a rate in the future of less than 4.625%, you pay me a small commission equal to the rate differential X loan amount x 77%.

30-years trending down to 4.37% today on the Daily Mortgage Rate survey, down from 4.54% at the beginning of the month.

4.375% should be easy to execute if you followed my advice. If your crib is $300k, please pay me $577.50. (25 bps X $300k X .77).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2014, 09:02:42 PM »
Me too.  Locked in at 3.75%.

3 5/8% 

Money is so cheap today compared to 30 years ago.  Giving it away, even with rates going up of late, in relative terms stuff is dirt cheap

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2014, 09:27:34 AM »
sort of douchey comment, eh?

JB's like everyone's favorite gambler friend/relative that likes to brag about all their big winnings and tear down those that down win as much as him.  Never mention how they don't talk about the losses tho...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 10:04:59 AM »
JB's like everyone's favorite gambler friend/relative that likes to brag about all their big winnings and tear down those that down win as much as him.  Never mention how they don't talk about the losses tho...

that's why he's asking for handouts: the losses

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2014, 07:33:17 PM »
30-years trending down to 4.37% today on the Daily Mortgage Rate survey, down from 4.54% at the beginning of the month.

4.375% should be easy to execute if you followed my advice. If your crib is $300k, please pay me $577.50. (25 bps X $300k X .77).

May update. Down to 4.12%. 4.625% less 4.125% available now = one-half of one percentage point. 50 bps X $300 X .77 =  $1,155 due to me. A small cost for the gigantic savings I have earned for you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2014, 08:20:26 PM »
3.25% mofos.  30 year fixed.  Refied 2 years ago.

Down from 5 1/8 in 2005 when we bought.

Was the original loan 30 years?  If so, was the lower interest rate worth the seven additional years of mortgage payments?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2014, 08:45:59 PM »

Was the original loan 30 years?  If so, was the lower interest rate worth the seven additional years of mortgage payments?

I asked the same question of myself, so I just pay more each month and I'm still going to have the loan paid in about 22 years rather than 30.  I just liked the flexibility of not having the higher nut of a 15 year or even 20 year. You can always pay more, but if you get in some kind of bind, got to the lower required payment the 30 year requires.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2014, 09:10:28 PM »
I asked the same question of myself, so I just pay more each month and I'm still going to have the loan paid in about 22 years rather than 30.  I just liked the flexibility of not having the higher nut of a 15 year or even 20 year. You can always pay more, but if you get in some kind of bind, got to the lower required payment the 30 year requires.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »

we almost went 20 year for a lower rate, but we wanted the flexibility to pay more some months and the set price other months. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2014, 09:30:21 PM »
we almost went 20 year for a lower rate, but we wanted the flexibility to pay more some months and the set price other months. 

Ding ding!!

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2014, 10:01:28 PM »
In the same house for 24 years, and we aren't done paying it off because when we did a big addition 9 years ago we did a construction loan and then refi.  Three years ago we paid down a chunk of princ to get below jumbo.  At that time we went for the 15 year for the lower rate (3.25) and pay more each month to be done in 10 (now 7) years.  I can see either way when measuring flex vs. lower rates, and, obviously, the less the spread the more the 30 year amortization makes sense.  As our plan was to pay down more anyway, the decision was easy.

Very pleased, especially compared to the 1990 mortgage, when we went with the 23/7 ARM to get a 10.25 (I think)---got lucky then when rates went down enough that we refi'd to a 7.25 30 year around 5 years in.  At the time of the construction refi, we went with a 20.  So we have had an ARM, a 30 (twice), a 20 and a 15.  Conventional and jumbo. 

Financial advisor who is coonservative now trying to convince us to just pay it off now rather than putting some "bonus " funds in the market.  I like that he is independent enough to give that advice when it is against his direct financial interests.  Haven't yet decided.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2014, 05:38:32 AM »
Doable, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2014, 08:45:55 AM »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2014, 04:05:20 PM »
Financial advisor who is coonservative now trying to convince us to just pay it off now rather than putting some "bonus " funds in the market.  I like that he is independent enough to give that advice when it is against his direct financial interests.  Haven't yet decided.

?-(

I'd need a decent look into your finances, but am happy to provide you with advice. Please share with me everything about your finances via PM or email.

-----------

Chicos...  how much do you have left on your house (principal) today vs. value at time of purchase? Where you are, I'd venture to say your house is like the divorce rate - closer to 50% (appreciation since you purchased) than 30%, but somewhere in that range.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »
oops...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2014, 04:51:34 PM »
In the same house for 24 years, and we aren't done paying it off because when we did a big addition 9 years ago we did a construction loan and then refi.  Three years ago we paid down a chunk of princ to get below jumbo.  At that time we went for the 15 year for the lower rate (3.25) and pay more each month to be done in 10 (now 7) years.  I can see either way when measuring flex vs. lower rates, and, obviously, the less the spread the more the 30 year amortization makes sense.  As our plan was to pay down more anyway, the decision was easy.

Very pleased, especially compared to the 1990 mortgage, when we went with the 23/7 ARM to get a 10.25 (I think)---got lucky then when rates went down enough that we refi'd to a 7.25 30 year around 5 years in.  At the time of the construction refi, we went with a 20.  So we have had an ARM, a 30 (twice), a 20 and a 15.  Conventional and jumbo. 

3.25% obviously is cheap money, plus there can be tax saving in having a mortgage, as I'm sure you know. If you have something else to do with the cash in which you are confident you can earn better than 3.25%, it's hard to argue against that as a financial decision.

However ...

We were faced with a fairly similar choice when we moved in 2011. We could have gotten a mortgage at near historically low rates and used our cash for other things. But we chose to pay all-cash for the house. Owning a house always has been more about financial things, and we take great comfort in knowing that we own our place free and clear. It's something called SWAN -- Sleep Well At Night.

So there is no "right" answer or "wrong" answer, because so much about homeownership (and paying for homeownership) that comes down to personal philosophy, comfort level, risk tolerance, etc.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2014, 05:09:48 PM »
3.25% obviously is cheap money, plus there can be tax saving in having a mortgage, as I'm sure you know. If you have something else to do with the cash in which you are confident you can earn better than 3.25%, it's hard to argue against that as a financial decision.

However ...

We were faced with a fairly similar choice when we moved in 2011. We could have gotten a mortgage at near historically low rates and used our cash for other things. But we chose to pay all-cash for the house. Owning a house always has been more about financial things, and we take great comfort in knowing that we own our place free and clear. It's something called SWAN -- Sleep Well At Night.

So there is no "right" answer or "wrong" answer, because so much about homeownership (and paying for homeownership) that comes down to personal philosophy, comfort level, risk tolerance, etc.

That's exactly right.  On the benefit side, there is a smaller and smaller income tax benefit as the deduction is eaten away.  On the SWAN side, it is comfort of outright ownership vs. more ready cash just in case...