[June 10, 2024, 10:30:14 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 10, 2024, 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]Where Marquette stands on its coaching search  (Read 8540 times)

Wisco

• Starter
Re: [PaintTouches]Where Marquette stands on its coaching search
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 09:02:42 PM »
Yes, agree except the BS part. That is, SS/MU may not have talked directly but through someone else.
This is probably the more correct scenario, just going off what I know.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:09:08 PM by Warriors+Rams »

zrjones13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 09:08:46 PM »
This is probably the more correct scenario, just going off what I know.

So theoretically Doc could have talked to him Monday and SS said he was interested.  This got everyone going at marquette and created all the havoc on twitter.  But he still wasn't sure about our athletic director and President.  We said don't worry we're announcing our president on wednesday.  Possible today James kearney reaches out and talks we make Shaka an official offer and allow him to think it over for a couple days.  This fits into your Ads statements as well as the info released earlier today.  I don't have inside knowledge but clearly there has been contact and Shaka would surely get a raise from being offered a contract nearly double his contract correct?  You guys haven't released any new deal all your AD has said is as of today Shaka is our coach.

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 09:13:38 PM »
So theoretically Doc could have talked to him Monday and SS said he was interested.  This got everyone going at marquette and created all the havoc on twitter.  But he still wasn't sure about our athletic director and President.  We said don't worry we're announcing our president on wednesday.  Possible today James kearney reaches out and talks we make Shaka an official offer and allow him to think it over for a couple days.  This fits into your Ads statements as well as the info released earlier today.  I don't have inside knowledge but clearly there has been contact and Shaka would surely get a raise from being offered a contract nearly double his contract correct?  You guys haven't released any new deal all your AD has said is as of today Shaka is our coach.
I was told yet again this evening that Shaka declined to speak with Marquette from the get-go and everyone in the athletic department down here knows it.

As I've said a few times, I think it's crazy how different the stories are at this point. It's probably not in my best interest to keep beating this dead horse on here though so I'll play the wait-and-see game from this point forward.

RyanConroy

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 09:17:38 PM »
I was told yet again this evening that Shaka declined to speak with Marquette from the get-go and everyone in the athletic department down here knows it.

As I've said a few times, I think it's crazy how different the stories are at this point. It's probably not in my best interest to keep beating this dead horse on here though so I'll play the wait-and-see game from this point forward.
K, time to drop this now. Jeff Goodman and about 40 other reports have said otherwise.

zrjones13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 09:18:23 PM »

Yeah I mean its weird how stories changed on both sides.  Many of you Rams fans came on here saying sources say we never talked and then you changed your story.  Clearly it wasn't a done deal but I'm just not sure its over.  Do you agree that he would get a raise after this?  Isn't he making about 1.5 million?  I'm not saying he is all about the money but I'm sure he would want a little more, the practice facility, and a bigger recruiting budget.

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 09:29:37 PM »
K, time to drop this now. Jeff Goodman and about 40 other reports have said otherwise.
Didn't really say that I was set on it. Just pointing out how different the scoop coming from within each athletic department is.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:33:13 PM by Warriors+Rams »

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 09:32:49 PM »
Yeah I mean its weird how stories changed on both sides.  Many of you Rams fans came on here saying sources say we never talked and then you changed your story.  Clearly it wasn't a done deal but I'm just not sure its over.  Do you agree that he would get a raise after this?  Isn't he making about 1.5 million?  I'm not saying he is all about the money but I'm sure he would want a little more, the practice facility, and a bigger recruiting budget.
He might get a raise after this. Who knows. In the past he's pushed harder for more travel and accommodation funds, in addition to money for his assistants.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 09:40:38 PM »
Yes, agree except the BS part. That is, SS/MU may not have talked directly but through someone else. Obviously I do not know the details but I have seen in business and gov't many examples of ways to get around public relations issues such as this. That is, you answer the specific question and not the intent of the question. Guess that could be called BS, shrewed or some other less than desirable terms.

I understand plausible deny-ability.  But the AD takes a risk of looking clueless and stupid if (when?) Shaka jumps.  Better to give a non answer ("he's our coach, he's great, looking forward to working with him for the next several years ... blah blah blah") 

zrjones13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 09:42:29 PM »
He might get a raise after this. Who knows. In the past he's pushed harder for more travel and accommodation funds, in addition to money for his assistants.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130327/vcu-shaka-smart/

So this was exactly a year ago in two days.  He got a 300k raise and his contract extended.  So they are probably working hard on this and we should hear something soon on either side.  Clearly VCU sources have gotten misinformation and so have MU's.  But the big guns like goodman said they are talking even if VCU says they aren't he just says he thinks he will stay.  I think there is a lot of reasons he would come, mainly double his salary, practice facility, assistant coach budget, spending on recruiting, and close to his home.  There are reasons he would stay such as he has a family there and if he keeps it up he could have a blue blood job which you stated before.  I think your sources saying that shaka hasn't talked to marquette and our sources saying deal done make them both inaccurate and I don't trust them.  I believe they have and may still be talking and until we sign another coach or I see a sports illustrated article saying he has signed an extension I will still think we have a chance.  

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 09:56:28 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130327/vcu-shaka-smart/

So this was exactly a year ago in two days.  He got a 300k raise and his contract extended.  So they are probably working hard on this and we should hear something soon on either side.  Clearly VCU sources have gotten misinformation and so have MU's.  But the big guns like goodman said they are talking even if VCU says they aren't he just says he thinks he will stay.  I think there is a lot of reasons he would come, mainly double his salary, practice facility, assistant coach budget, spending on recruiting, and close to his home.  There are reasons he would stay such as he has a family there and if he keeps it up he could have a blue blood job which you stated before.  I think your sources saying that shaka hasn't talked to marquette and our sources saying deal done make them both inaccurate and I don't trust them.  I believe they have and may still be talking and until we sign another coach or I see a sports illustrated article saying he has signed an extension I will still think we have a chance.  
Fair enough. I'm looking forward to an announcement either way.

zrjones13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 10:06:37 PM »
Fair enough. I'm looking forward to an announcement either way.

Me too its been a stressful couple of days.  I see that your a fan of both so I could see why you would want shaka to stay and have mu get another good coach.  When I saw the Buzz Williams news I immediately thought of Shaka I thought it was a pipe dream but then monday happened.  I just want it to end with Marquette having a good coach and even if its an unknown name like Brent Williams I know the future is still bright here even though muscoop will freak.  Hoping for Shaka but go mu either way

feedback