Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stop the insanity. I say Ben Howland  (Read 8647 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Stop the insanity. I say Ben Howland
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 04:12:06 PM »
Isn't it possible they are going with their previous boss?

Sure...it's possible...yet they were under contract with Marquette...not Buzz...so MU controls what comes of their future..I'd surmise..so this to me says the big domino is going to fall soon...as in head coach being named..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 04:12:47 PM »
Not to add to the conspiracy theories, but...

Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches  8m
Confirmed that Marquette's entire coaching staff, minus Jerry Wainwright, is out. Wainwright staying on board to help w/ transition. #mubb

Wouldn't this be something the new coach would have a say on?  Seems odd to me that Marquette would force a new coach to keep Wainwright on his staff if he truly didn't want him.  Unless a coach has already agreed to keep Wainwright on?

That tells me we are losing all the newcomers. A complete housecleaning of the staff. Certainly makes  "the Buzz was told to leave" camp more credible.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 04:13:09 PM »

Confirmed that Marquette's entire coaching staff, minus Jerry Wainwright, is out. Wainwright staying on board to help w/ transition. #mubb

Wouldn't this be something the new coach would have a say on?  Seems odd to me that Marquette would force a new coach to keep Wainwright on his staff if he truly didn't want him.  Unless a coach has already agreed to keep Wainwright on?

I think Jerry might be retiring. So, he stays on until the new coach and his assistants are settled. Makes sure the guys are going to class, conditioning, etc. Once everything is set, he bows out.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 04:13:46 PM »
I just meant the Wainwright part.  Who decided that Wainwright would stay on board to help with the transition?  If the new coach decides to clean house, isn't that his prerogative?
The new head coach.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 04:14:02 PM »
That tells me we are losing all the newcomers. A complete housecleaning of the staff. Certainly makes  "the Buzz was told to leave" camp more credible.

Most coaches want to bring in their own guys...not use the previous coach's...thus this clears the way for the new coach's guys...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 04:14:28 PM »
I'd like to think we can get somebody with more experience and a better body of work, but why is everybody so convinced that Wardle absolutely, positively would be a disaster?

I haven't been around this site that long, but it must have gone completely bat$hit when we hired the ultimate nobody 6 years ago.

Yes it did.  I think everyone agrees that it worked out in MUs favor, but there were numerous threads about "the process" and "shortsightedness."

Steve Cottingham got pretty beat-up.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 04:15:08 PM »
I think Jerry might be retiring. So, he stays on until the new coach and his assistants are settled. Makes sure the guys are going to class, conditioning, etc. Once everything is set, he bows out.

I can see this being the case with Jerry. Great guy, met him a few times through my dad. Maybe ill make a phone call...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »

Dunno.  Seems like many recruits would be willing to listen to a guy like Smart or Howland. 

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »

Yeah.  Maybe.  Seems reasonable.  I just figured they'd want the new coach to weigh in on that before telling Jerry to stick around.  Say the new guy is Howland, and he ultimately decides that he doesn't want Jerry's help, then Jerry is losing time that could be spent finding another gig.

But if he's retiring, then it's probably nothing.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
Dunno.  Seems like many recruits would be willing to listen to a guy like Smart or Howland. 

I agree with those two. not many others imo.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 04:23:06 PM »
I agree with those two. not many others imo.

Agreed.  Most anyone other than Howland or Smart, and they're likely all gone.... 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 04:23:59 PM »
If it comes down to a biding war between MU and Wake, I like MUs chances...

Wake's AD has told their fans their search could take weeks

Wellman: Next coach might not be named for weeks
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/basketball/wellman-next-coach-might-not-be-named-for-weeks/article_f0cd6892-b060-11e3-98db-0017a43b2370.html

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2014, 04:25:21 PM »

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/basketball/wellman-next-coach-might-not-be-named-for-weeks/article_f0cd6892-b060-11e3-98db-0017a43b2370.html

Crap.  That probably means presser today at 5:00.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 04:25:27 PM »

Interesting note...three co-workers (I'm far from MKE) have brought up MU today: two assumed Buzz was fired, two asked if we were really getting Shaka.

We'll have to name him Interim Coach for a couple days.  Since we don't have many other Interim tags floating around.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2014, 04:26:58 PM »
Do you guys really think Bill, Doc and Fr. Wild aren't working on this proactively?  Really?  Let's give our guys some credit.   ::)

Do you think Cords left MU with an inexperienced AD when he originally retired, only to see that AD have to deal w/a hiring issue 6 weeks after taking the job? Is this the same Cords making the call now?

Sorry, color me concerned.

Get Howland. Now!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2014, 04:54:32 PM »
I just meant the Wainwright part.  Who decided that Wainwright would stay on board to help with the transition?  If the new coach decides to clean house, isn't that his prerogative?

Who decided the new coach can't say goodbye to Jerry at a later date?
Sounds to me that Jerry has no interest in moving to Blacksburg - or wasn't invited -  and someone has to man the ship in the interim.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:56:53 PM by Pakuni »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2014, 04:56:01 PM »

But doesn't he know Ben Howland demands answers now?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2014, 05:16:52 PM »
The way this is going, it sounds to that Shaka is hosing us. He is urinating on the yellow coat. He is trying to yp the ante from Wake and VCU.

Give the guy your best offer, and give him 24 hours, then move on. Isn't this Smart's history?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2014, 05:28:02 PM »
Just an outsiders opinion but for someone whose watched him for a few years in the MVC, I would take Marshall hands down over Howland.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2014, 05:31:57 PM »

Does that include our weight and condition guy...sorry, can't remember his name.

mechaghidorah

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2014, 05:33:19 PM »
Just an outsiders opinion but for someone whose watched him for a few years in the MVC, I would take Marshall hands down over Howland.

He would be my top choice, but it doesn't seem MU thinks that highly of him.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »
Does that include our weight and condition guy...sorry, can't remember his name.

Todd Smith. I dunno, seemed like he had more of a connection to the players then Buzz. That and he has two really young kids.

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2014, 05:40:38 PM »

I've heard he's a douche, I know the Creighton staff does not think too highly of him and would not do a home and home with him.  Can't argue with his on the court success though, Wichita was crap when he came and look at what he did.  Same with Winthrop.  He does like JUCOs alot though.  Maybe Marquette got some information about him from Creighton along with his use of JUCOs and thats why they don't think highly of him??

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2014, 05:52:41 PM »

I can understand that. What's so great about being a winner everywhere you've gone and winning the National Coach of the Year? ::)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2014, 10:12:23 PM »
I'm starting to think being a Howlander is kind of like being a fan of Stannis.  Shakka, Wardle, they're all usurpers.  The MU coaching position is Ben's by right. 

I can understand that. What's so great about being a winner everywhere you've gone and winning the National Coach of the Year? ::)

If we used that reasoning in '08, we would have hired Keno Davis.  Just sayin  ;)