[Today at 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Malek Harris, following Buzz to VT  (Read 22977 times)

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
Re: Malek Harris
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 12:36:22 PM »
The USAF has the highest standards for personnel. The Army, Navy, and USMC are full of people the AF would never touch. And frankly, I took great pride and comfort knowing my fellow airmen were the best. The guy fixing my jet was someone I was proud to serve with.

Marquette must maintain standards at intake in order to ensure its community is the best it can be. A guy who lights a woman's hair on fire should not be allowed anywhere near the Marquette campus. If BW feels that maintaining such standards is hampering his ability to win then perhaps he needs to reassess how or why he wants to win in that way.

I am thankful BW is now VPI's problem. If VPI wants to allow someone like Malek Harris to represent them that is their business. The good news is that BW is gone. Aim High, Marquette!

+1,000,000

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 12:43:26 PM »
Wait? Buzz still wants Malek? But, maybe, MU didn't?

A grown man wouldn't pout and then run off to a clearly worse job just because his bosses won't let him hire who he wants, right? No respect. No love. Doesn't MU appreciate what Buzz did?

We are getting warmer. Buzz believes he earned the right to take chances on guys Malek. After the last few year's issues, some more public than others, maybe MU felt that he had lost that privilege. That makes Buzz sad. Unloved. Unappreciated. Disrespected.

Voila! Virginia Tech.

This pretty well sums it up, I think. Now, MU know full well what they were getting into regarding 'taking chances' and were complicit in the beginning...it's frankly why Buzz was hired. Given certain events, things needed to change/be tightened up. Buzz didn't like it/didn't like being told what to do, etc., but lets be honest, MU's hands aren't completely clean in this whole thing either.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 12:45:15 PM »
We recruited Creek at MU but he never committed here verbally or otherwise.

He didn't commit to the university (that is different) but he did associate himself closely with Crean:

"WHAT OTHER SCHOOLS WERE INTERESTED HIM?:

Tom Crean recruited and offered Maurice Creek when he was at Marquette and so it wasn't that surprising when Creek followed Crean to Indiana with his commitment on May 4, 2008. A little over a month earlier, Crean had been named the new coach at Indiana. Creek became his third committed recruit."

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/hoosier-insider/2013/07/18/indiana-basketball-a-hoosier-profile-on-maurice-creek/2557535/
SS Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 12:46:59 PM »
This pretty well sums it up, I think. Now, MU know full well what they were getting into regarding 'taking chances' and were complicit in the beginning...it's frankly why Buzz was hired. Given certain events, things needed to change/be tightened up. Buzz didn't like it/didn't like being told what to do, etc., but lets be honest, MU's hands aren't completely clean in this whole thing either.

And now, with an AD in his pocket, he will be given more freedom.

Unfortunately for him, he's now at a public institution where the rules and regs work differently than in a private one. MU could keep problems internally as they were private; now, EVERYTHING will be open.
SS Marquette

Warhawk Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »
VT only has two seniors on their team with 3 committed recruits.  Not sure what the scholarship situation is.  But expect an upheaval to occur between our programs.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »
He didn't commit to the university (that is different) but he did associate himself closely with Crean:

"WHAT OTHER SCHOOLS WERE INTERESTED HIM?:

Tom Crean recruited and offered Maurice Creek when he was at Marquette and so it wasn't that surprising when Creek followed Crean to Indiana with his commitment on May 4, 2008. A little over a month earlier, Crean had been named the new coach at Indiana. Creek became his third committed recruit."

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/hoosier-insider/2013/07/18/indiana-basketball-a-hoosier-profile-on-maurice-creek/2557535/

That's exactly how I remember it. He never committed here. We recruited him here but he committed to IU after Crean left. There is a difference in my mind.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 01:20:09 PM »
That's exactly how I remember it. He never committed here. We recruited him here but he committed to IU after Crean left. There is a difference in my mind.

You're right. He didn't commit.

I was drawing a comparison to recruits who follow the departing head coach.
But yes, he didn't commit.
SS Marquette

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 01:22:47 PM »
You're right. He didn't commit.

I was drawing a comparison to recruits who follow the departing head coach.
But yes, he didn't commit.

Cool. Uncommitted but recruited is less dastardly in my mind. Although Harris was probably never coming to MU anyway, unlike someone like Nick Williams. Turns out Williams was no great loss, remains to be seen on Harris. If he can avoid suspension he'll likely fit Buzz' system well.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Malek Harris, following Buzz to VT
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2014, 01:30:06 PM »
Could care less
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2014, 01:31:59 PM »
Just as an FYI that's not official, that was a predicton by Gavett on twitter
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2014, 01:33:52 PM »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »
Nothing like trashing a top 100 recruit who may still want to come to MU. I'd love Harris to end up here.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2014, 01:38:05 PM »
I never thought Harris should come here. However, the reason why, given his history, is that I figured he would not last much past boot camp. Will see how long he lasts at Virginia Tech. I hope Malek succeeds, but I still think he does not have what it takes. Of course that is my opinion without ever meeting the young man.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2014, 01:41:28 PM »
Nothing like trashing a top 100 recruit who may still want to come to MU. I'd love Harris to end up here.

No kidding. Some real loudmouths around these parts the past 20 hours.  Malek, hope to see if you in an MU uni.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »

If you don't understand the Malek Harris story then you won't understand the BW saga.

Death on call

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2014, 01:42:54 PM »
I never thought Harris should come here. However, the reason why, given his history, is that I figured he would not last much past boot camp. Will see how long he lasts at Virginia Tech. I hope Malek succeeds, but I still think he does not have what it takes. Of course that is my opinion without ever meeting the young man.

Buzz is really going to need to light a fire under his ass.  I'm sure VT boot camp will be even harder!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2014, 01:49:08 PM »
Buzz is really going to need to light a fire under his ass.  I'm sure VT boot camp will be even harder!

I see what you did there....

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
No kidding. Some real loudmouths around these parts the past 20 hours.  Malek, hope to see if you in an MU uni.

This is all mental masturbation. You and BW want Harris in a Marquette uniform. People who run the university, not the basketball team, have standards for the character of those allowed to matriculate at Marquette. I am firmly on the side of expectations and principle.

BW felt this policy affected his ability to win. The real issue is at what cost should one be allowed to win? Marquette made the correct decision and I applaud their integrity.

Death on call

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2014, 01:51:01 PM »

Yup.  And that's why Buzz is taking Malek with him.

Anyone?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2014, 01:53:52 PM »
word is he is fired up to be at VT

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
Yup.  And that's why Buzz is taking Malek with him.

Anyone?

Malek Harris had a burning desire to play for BW. Unfortunately, the MU administration extinguished those dreams, leaving Harris to smolder this past year.

Perhaps BW's departure is the spark of renewal that fan the flames of aspiration?

Death on call

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2014, 01:56:04 PM »
Did anyone tell him that the "tech" in Virginia Tech stands for polytechnic, not pyrotechnic 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2014, 02:19:28 PM »
This is pathetic. Trashing a 17 year old kid. Malek, most of the fanbase would love to see you here. Good luck w your decision

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2014, 02:46:30 PM »
This is pathetic. Trashing a 17 year old kid. Malek, most of the fanbase would love to see you here. Good luck w your decision

Some of the fan base, perhaps. The real question is will Marquette's administration accept him? They are the gate keepers in this discussion. As I say, if you understand the Malek Harris case then you will understand why BW is no longer the coach at Marquette.

Death on call

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2014, 03:06:03 PM »
Matt just predicted that Harris might follow Buzz to VT.........nothing has happened as of yet......