2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Reality  (Read 12124 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: The Reality
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 10:54:01 AM »
What's the deal with Howland's recruiting ties?  I'd imagine most are out on the West Coast.

He did a pretty good job recruiting East Coast kids at Pitt.
The guy's a nationally recognized name.  don't think he'll have any trouble establishing ties wherever he goes.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »
How dare you simplify things. This is a process and MU officials will eventually talk themselves out of wanting Howland.

I'm guessing the officials mentioned will be the smartest people in the room and will come up with some obscure assistant that no one has ever heard of..

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 11:00:40 AM »
not sure the MU faithful will like his style

What? Going to numerous Final Fours?

Death on call

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 11:08:11 AM »
What's happened over the past few years that gives you confidence MU will make a quality decision here?   

Cottingham .. LW .. Fr. Pilarz.  Not to mention the wasteland of interim deans that make up the leadership at MU.

MU hasn't caught a break in 5+ years.   At best, one could say "we're due."

Catch a break?! Theres ZERO leadership at that school right now! What established coach is gonna walk in to this situation?

Not optimistic right now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 11:10:43 AM »
What? Going to numerous Final Fours?

The last guy that went to a Final Four at MU had a prickly personality, much like Ben's.

Let's just say Ben's style of play wasn't embraced out this way, but UCLA fans are a lot like fans of other schools from blueblood territory.  What have you done for me in the last 12 months.  That's why some coaches leave for places like Va. Tech.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »

I'm guessing the officials mentioned will be the smartest people in the room and will come up with some obscure assistant that no one has ever heard of..

This.
And this.

Catch a break?! Theres ZERO leadership at that school right now! What established coach is gonna walk in to this situation?

There's 2-3 guys at the top of the list that would be decent.  That's the same position we were in 7 years ago,  MU went with an unknown, and yeah, Buzz worked, but that wasn't a sure thing when it was announced.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 11:30:08 AM »
That's why some coaches leave for places like Va. Tech.

When you get into a pissing contest make sure you have the high ground and plenty of air cover. 17-15 ain't high ground. The Idiot Savant chalks up another Lesson Learned.

Death on call

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 12:56:24 PM »

Cottingham .. LW .. Fr. Pilarz.  Not to mention the wasteland of interim deans that make up the leadership at MU.

They just hired w/i the last year a dean for the College of A&S after something like a seven year vacancy. Amateur hour.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »
Howland coaches a boring style of basketball, MU fans will not be happy playing slow ball like the Badgers did in past years.  Bill Walton hated his style, it would not be much better here.  Need
a coach who is young, plays an exciting brand of BB, Howland does none of that.   MU can have the pick of litter on coaches, the pay is out of site, facility is first class, private plane, first class hotels.  I like a big time recruiter as I think that is the hardest part of this job.  I really would like an up incoming assistant like they have done in the past who has shown to be a great recruiter.

Al played a deliberate, controlled defensive oriented game. If you win no one gets bored my friend.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2014, 01:13:24 PM »
He did a pretty good job recruiting East Coast kids at Pitt.
The guy's a nationally recognized name.  don't think he'll have any trouble establishing ties wherever he goes.

Bingo.

Why aren't our arms tired from throwing our money at him?  Bring him in.

As a silver lining, the sooner we bring him aboard, the sooner this undercuts the notion that Buzz left on his own accord

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2014, 01:38:07 PM »

THIS!!!! Marquette has been caught at the wrong time in this situation. This University moves slowly and we have WAY to many high level positions open at the same time. It is actually pretty incredible how messed up they are right now.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »
Regarding Howland, a coup,e thi gs to think about while you watch SLU playing today, and UCLA tomorrow...Majerus was 59 (I think) whenhetool SLU job, ahdbeenout of the game for a couple years, andoresumalyhadno recruiting ties at the time. That team was in te Top 10 this year with the players he recruited, so please don't tell me he can't come in and get players. Oh BTW, SLU is not exactly Loyola Marymount from a style of play standpoint.

UCLA isn't good this year because of Steve Alford...their best players are NBA prospects that Howland recruited. I appreciate its UCLA and this is marquette, but again the arguments regarding, style of play, age, inability to get recruits, are just not based on much that can be supported.

The style of play all fans seem to like...winning. If you think MU fans will not get behind a tea like Howland's Pitt teams, I think you are kidding yourself.

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2014, 01:59:38 PM »
Howland went to Weber State.  I realize he had a brief stint as an assistant at Gonzaga and earned his masters there.  I've spent some time with Ben.  Just not sure the MU faithful will like his style

Al McGuire played a boring style!  We loved him!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2014, 02:01:34 PM »
Regarding Howland, a coup,e thi gs to think about while you watch SLU playing today, and UCLA tomorrow...Majerus was 59 (I think) whenhetool SLU job, ahdbeenout of the game for a couple years, andoresumalyhadno recruiting ties at the time. That team was in te Top 10 this year with the players he recruited, so please don't tell me he can't come in and get players. Oh BTW, SLU is not exactly Loyola Marymount from a style of play standpoint.

UCLA isn't good this year because of Steve Alford...their best players are NBA prospects that Howland recruited. I appreciate its UCLA and this is marquette, but again the arguments regarding, style of play, age, inability to get recruits, are just not based on much that can be supported.

The style of play all fans seem to like...winning. If you think MU fans will not get behind a tea like Howland's Pitt teams, I think you are kidding yourself.

Agreed re: Howland's style and age.
The vast majority of MU fans aren't that picky. We like to make fun of Bucky's pace, but the reality is most of us would be OK with that pace so long as it delivered wins.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2014, 02:08:06 PM »
Agreed re: Howland's style and age.
The vast majority of MU fans aren't that picky. We like to make fun of Bucky's pace, but the reality is most of us would be OK with that pace so long as it delivered wins.

Yep.  For me, the keys are following the rules (which Howland seems to do) and winning (which Howland definitely does).

I'm fine with 40-30 games, as long as we have the 40....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2014, 06:26:01 PM »
Cords will be making the decision!

Broeker, not Cords.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2014, 06:27:28 PM »
Broeker, not Cords.

I actually hope this is the case.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2014, 07:05:41 PM »

WTF are you talking about? UCLA beat Arizona for the Pac 12 Tourney title with Alford. They have advanced to the round of 32 tomorrow. I think they are playing well and Alford is doing a good job.

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2014, 07:10:49 PM »
Given that we are going to continue playing in a mid-major conference I'm not sure that the future is real bright.

We might get a better coach but we aren't going to get better conference competition.
Mid major conference that we finished 6th in*

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2014, 07:12:51 PM »
I can honestly say I have never read those words in the same sentence.
Dukiet was a helluva nice guy. I don't anybody ever said otherwise.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2014, 09:53:57 PM »
Broeker, not Cords.

I don't think so.  When Crean was hired there were many people involved.  MU was taking a big step to get things right, put resources against the program, etc.  I would be stunned if they let Broeker make this hire.  He would be involved, but this hire is not going to be one man's decision in my opinion.  It will be a number of people, a consensus selection like it was for Crean.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2014, 12:01:08 AM »
WTF are you talking about? UCLA beat Arizona for the Pac 12 Tourney title with Alford. They have advanced to the round of 32 tomorrow. I think they are playing well and Alford is doing a good job.

I don't disagree, but the players making it happen are the same ones that won the PAC 12 last year...that Howland recruited. Read the whole post.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2014, 12:33:08 AM »
Considering how his tenure at UCLA ended, I think Ben Howland will have some things to prove and will be plenty motivated. Also, in an interview with Seth Davis last fall he said he would play a more up-tempo style the next place he goes. His name has been linked to other schools (Wake Forest, Boston College) but I get the sense he's giving Marquette the first place in line to hire him.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2014, 12:49:55 AM »

A couple of things, of UCLA's top 7 players, 6 are Howland guys.  They did win the Pac 12 conference last season.  This year they did not, but won the Pac 12 tourney.

Also, Jordan Adams broke his foot toward the end of last year, he's the best player on the team and having him healthy this year is a big reason why they are where they are.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2014, 12:50:25 AM »
The last guy that went to a Final Four at MU had a prickly personality, much like Ben's.

The last guy to lead Marquette to a Final Four is a very personable gent. I understand he is rather well liked in Miami.

Death on call

feedback