[Today at 08:44:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[Today at 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[Today at 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Status Thread: Players Eligible To Return and Committed Recruits  (Read 26168 times)

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Status Thread: Players Eligible To Return and Committed Recruits
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2014, 01:07:24 PM »
Marquette Basketball is in trouble unless they can pull off a big name coach who can bring in his own culture and rebuild the program his way. The players didn't go to Marquette to play in Milwaukee or to play in the Bradley Center. They certainly didn't go to Marquette to play for the most 2 way fans. They went to Marquette to play for Coach Buzz. And now that Buzz and the entire coaching staff are out, players who have options are going to leave as well. The program needs to have a sense of urgency in order to retain a high level of play.

The players still have a lot even without Buzz.  It's a setback, but if they value camaraderie and their teammates I see most of them sticking together.  We still have one of the best basketball programs in the nation with or without Buzz.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2014, 01:16:21 PM »
Buzz's first year the team really bonded together and had a great year. Granted with the Amigos it's a different situation, but it sounds like this team was lacking some chemistry. Maybe give them a common stick it to Buzz mantra and a good coach and we could have a bounceback year.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2014, 01:23:32 PM »
Did MU really want a kid who was kicked off his HS team?

Were we not over on schollies? Remember if Buzz were here next year as a freshman he would not have played. Do not know about the HS issues, if they were so significant or not.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2014, 01:26:30 PM »
The one downside of Howland would be him not having any recruits to take with him. However, I think his name and resume would keep some recruits around though.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2014, 01:44:12 PM »
Marquette Basketball is in trouble unless they can pull off a big name coach who can bring in his own culture and rebuild the program his way. The players didn't go to Marquette to play in Milwaukee or to play in the Bradley Center. They certainly didn't go to Marquette to play for the most 2 way fans. They went to Marquette to play for Coach Buzz. And now that Buzz and the entire coaching staff are out, players who have options are going to leave as well. The program needs to have a sense of urgency in order to retain a high level of play.
"The most 2 ways fans"? Are you kidding? Marquette has a pretty steady fans base and one of the highest attendance in college basketball most every year.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »
"The most 2 ways fans"? Are you kidding? Marquette has a pretty steady fans base and one of the highest attendance in college basketball most every year.

I remember insidetheleague posted some stuff about NBA interest in Trent Lockett and many blew him off.  Then Lockett was the last guy cut from the Kings.  So I'm inclined to put some stock into what he says.

However, I'm not sure what the "2 way fans" comment means.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2014, 02:12:57 PM »
I wouldn't dismiss insidetheleague.    There was a fair amount of turnover from Crean to Buzz.   This time, with so much tied up with an incoming class that were all Buzz's kind of guys......could be ugly.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2014, 03:21:03 PM »
I wouldn't dismiss insidetheleague.    There was a fair amount of turnover from Crean to Buzz.   This time, with so much tied up with an incoming class that were all Buzz's kind of guys......could be ugly.

To be honest if Marial, and Peirce leave im ok with that. Wanna see Hill and Cohen stick around though.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »

I think that the fate of the assistant coaches is still to be determined, not that they are out.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

insidetheleague

• Walk-On
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »
The assistants are following Buzz to VT. The players found out yesterday. And by 2 way fans, I'm talking about the people they see on twitter and in person who love them one minute and rip them apart another. I have seen it first hand, it's difficult for these college kids to restrain but they always do. Vander had it worst which is one the main reasons he had to leave.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2014, 04:33:46 PM »
The assistants are following Buzz to VT. The players found out yesterday. And by 2 way fans, I'm talking about the people they see on twitter and in person who love them one minute and rip them apart another. I have seen it first hand, it's difficult for these college kids to restrain but they always do. Vander had it worst which is one the main reasons he had to leave.

Well, hate to see Chew leave.  Hope someone in B-ball is contacting the signed recruits and telling them all will be OK. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2014, 04:59:05 PM »
Man, if true, Buzz is even a bigger douche than I give him credit for. taking the whole gang with him? Talk about "I'm out of here"--everybody's boy Buzz leaving the cupboard bare. PLEASE take derrick with you--after all, he is a "game changer"
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2014, 05:32:29 PM »
Players tend to commit to coaches, not institutions.   There was fallout when Crean left.   It is naive to think that there will be none this time.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2014, 05:37:17 PM »

So many people believed the exact same thing six years ago when Crean left. We ended up being just fine with an unproven assistant. I bet we'll be okay this time too.

TheFarEastMovement

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »
"Marquette Basketball is in trouble unless they can pull off a big name coach who can bring in his own culture and rebuild the program his way. The players didn't go to Marquette to play in Milwaukee or to play in the Bradley Center. They certainly didn't go to Marquette to play for the most 2 way fans. They went to Marquette to play for Coach Buzz. And now that Buzz and the entire coaching staff are out, players who have options are going to leave as well. The program needs to have a sense of urgency in order to retain a high level of play."

I agree with this. Based on my previous interactions with some of the basketball players in the past and some of their twitter posts, a lot of these players do not really come to MU because of the institution or the city. It is largely due to the coach and Buzz did a great job recruiting. I hate to sound like a debbie downer but the sad reality is that Milwaukee is not a big market city with flashy lights, the winters are cold and there isn't much going on. One can make the argument that not much is going on in Durham, North Carolina or Louisville, Kentucky but they have legendary coaches. Whoever gets this job has a huge task of placing MU on the MAP and staying here for a while and ensuring that there is some sort of stability. To start with, we have on of the best fan bases in the nation. Now the administration needs to step it up in hiring someone that believes in the tradition, values and who are they are willing to support. Hiring an alum like Wardle might be a starting point even though he is not completely proven. Hiring Howland is another option as he will probably stay 10+, since he is already 57 and knows the pressure involved in coaching a premier program like UCLA.  It could be his last stint as basketball coach. He could possibly play the same role Steve Fisher is playing for SDSU. Personally, I am all in for Howland. At this point, it is about gaining some stability within our basketball program.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2014, 06:56:43 PM »
We need stability and get rid that freakin' name. It's WARRIORS!

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »
I'm surprised that so many of us are shocked that the assistants would leave. Assistants, even moreso than head coaches, are mercenaries. They'll go wherever they think is best to ultimately get them a HC position. That's not at MU with no head coach in place.  Our new coach will bring in his assistants and it's better that way.

Does anyone here think that Isaac Chew cares about any school he coaches at? He left Illinois after 2 weeks for Marquette.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2014, 10:14:29 PM »
I'm surprised that so many of us are shocked that the assistants would leave. Assistants, even moreso than head coaches, are mercenaries. They'll go wherever they think is best to ultimately get them a HC position. That's not at MU with no head coach in place.  Our new coach will bring in his assistants and it's better that way.

Does anyone here think that Isaac Chew cares about any school he coaches at? He left Illinois after 2 weeks for Marquette.

Chew had a deal at MU that was second to none as an assistant, I think if he gets an increase in this salary to stay, he might.  He is a Chicago kid, who wants to go to Vtech from Chicago, I would say nobody.  The school drew 5,000 fans last year, that is not big time basketball, not even close.

feedback