[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Do We Think About Kentucky's 1 and done "Business Model" now?  (Read 9193 times)

Sunbelt15

• All American
Re: What Do We Think About Kentucky's 1 and done "Business Model" now?
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 08:29:43 AM »
In fairness, he said if not for the Natty ( National Championship)

Sorry. I read so many ridiculous statements, I jumped to conclusion. Sorry again.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:57:46 PM by Sunbelt15 »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 08:49:59 AM »
how was this year (NCAA) worse than last year (NIT)?

Fair enough ... I will revise after we see what Kentucky does this year.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 09:58:43 AM »
Sorry. I read so many ridiculous statement, I jumped to conclusion. Sorry again.

Aporogy accepted.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 09:56:06 AM »
Has the Sporting News turned into the Onion?

Kentucky's academic performance puts lie to criticism
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-05-14/kentuckys-academic-performance-makes-liars-out-of-critics-ncaa-basketball-apr-release

There are some lies in sports that are kept rather busy, but the one that seems to hang around college basketball most persistently is this: that Kentucky is employing a band of athletes who only need to pass a few fall credits and then don’t even have to go to class in the spring.

False.

It’s been false since John Calipari’s first season on the job in 2009-10, and it’s remained false every year since. How do we know? UK basketball’s score under the NCAA’s Academic Progress Rate measurement is a perfect 1,000 for the 2012-13 academic year and 989 on a multiyear basis.

The APR has a lot of flaws, but one of its values is in punishing any program that has an overabundance of one-semester players — guys who show up, pass a few fall credits and then not even go to class in the spring. The APR mandates than any player departing for the NBA Draft must do so while in good academic standing or be damaging to the program’s cumulative score — and that means completing a semester once the player is enrolled.

Programs that are sufficiently damaged can lose scholarships, practice time or postseason eligibility, which happened to the Connecticut program in 2012-13.

In fact, eight Division I basketball programs will be banned from postseason play in 2015 because of deficient APR scores: Alabama State, Appalachian State, Florida A&M, Houston Baptist, Lamar, Milwaukee, San Jose State and Central Arkansas. Milwaukee made the field last season as champion of the Horizon League.

Kentucky will have no such concerns, even though it lost five players to early NBA Draft entry in 2012 and two in 2013, including five “one-and-done” players. The Wildcats have managed to get it done academically with those prospects while they’ve been on campus.

It’d be nice if these numbers at least put to rest the notion that Kentucky players are taking shortcuts during the time they spend on campus, whether that time lasts one year (Anthony Davis), two (the Harrison twins), three (Willie Cauley-Stein) or four (Darius Miller).

“Ten years ago, the membership designed the APR to encourage student-athletes to stay in school and earn good grades. We are pleased to see that more and more student-athletes are doing that every year,” NCAA president Mark Emmert said.

You think he knew he was talking about Kentucky when he said it?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 09:59:39 AM »
Why are we under the assumption that "one and dones" are poor students?  From what I understand, a lot of UK's freshmen this year (Randle, Harrison twins) were actually very good high school students.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 10:09:52 AM »
Why are we under the assumption that "one and dones" are poor students?  From what I understand, a lot of UK's freshmen this year (Randle, Harrison twins) were actually very good high school students.

I think the tendency for an 18 year old kid who is planning on only staying in college for one year would be to not take any of his classes seriously.  Even those kids that were good high school students would have a very hard time finding the inspiration to study hard when in all reality the grades mean very little to them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
I think the tendency for an 18 year old kid who is planning on only staying in college for one year would be to not take any of his classes seriously.  Even those kids that were good high school students would have a very hard time finding the inspiration to study hard when in all reality the grades mean very little to them.

Perhaps.  That is quite the blanket statement to make.  I'm sure the freshman year of a UK basketball player isn't like the freshman year at Harvard, so I think a good high school student wouldn't find it all that difficult to retain eligibility. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 10:52:18 AM »
This for bumping this and reminding me about it.

I will say this, post NCAA tourney the biggest proponent of getting rid of "one and done" seems to be John Calipari. 

Actually, in reading about his book and watching his book tour interviews, my opinion of Calipari ha gone way up.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 10:52:54 AM »

none of those you name would have any impact on the Kentucky APR in the 2012-13 season

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2014, 10:56:35 AM »
OK, but the point still stands, do you really know anything about the academic competency of the one-and-dones that came before?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2014, 12:08:36 PM »
The Harrisons must have taken academics at least seriously enough to keep as an option returning for their sophomore seasons at Kentucky ... because that's exactly what they've decided to do.

I also have a hard time believing that Jabari Parker simply stopped going to class at Duke.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson