'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz has got to learn....  (Read 28577 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Buzz has got to learn....
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2014, 09:08:16 AM »
Maybe you are right but I am more optimistic that some coach adjustments could be the difference for what is left of this year and next. Without testing those waters we may never know the results if we explored all the options. At this point I suggest let's take a risk since we really have nothing to lose and just possibly something to gain. At least we may have a better idea as to what the young bucks and Todd can do consistently.

So it is your hypothesis that every time a highly successful coach has a one-year downward blip on his record, there must be changes to his staff to avoid future calamity?

What is there to lose? I don't know ... maybe trust? Confidence? Credibility? Decency? Fairness?

Sorry if I sound dismissive because I'm not dismissing your suggestion out of hand. I just need more reason to fire people than "we really have nothing to lose."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2014, 09:24:22 AM »
Hopefully, Buzz learned to tell his assistants to not monitor scoop.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2014, 11:34:05 AM »
Hopefully, Buzz learned to tell his assistants to not monitor scoop.   

That JS-Todd Mayo article startled me-it has given me the impression that the assistants are yes-men, which, if true, is very bad, IMO.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2014, 11:39:28 AM »
Here's the hypothesis I'm working with:

Buzz prefers consistency (even consistently low output) over inconsistency. He prefers "safe" over risk. And he prefers the known over the unknown. He also believes he and the players have a lot more control over the defensive end than the offensive end. And, so, that's why he's playing the "better" defensive players more.

I put forth the Buzz-is-extremely-risk-averse theory awhile back (bodes well with his seeming control-freak nature) and I was flayed. If I remember correctly, the counterargument at the time was that Buzz indeed takes risks, as evidenced by his recruitment of unheard of players, eg, Gardner, Jimmy Butler, etc.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2014, 02:08:58 PM »
So it is your hypothesis that every time a highly successful coach has a one-year downward blip on his record, there must be changes to his staff to avoid future calamity?

What is there to lose? I don't know ... maybe trust? Confidence? Credibility? Decency? Fairness?

Sorry if I sound dismissive because I'm not dismissing your suggestion out of hand. I just need more reason to fire people than "we really have nothing to lose."

No you misunderstood the comments. Adjustments by the coach not removing him or the staff. That is change the line up etc.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Class71

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2014, 02:39:43 PM »
I put forth the Buzz-is-extremely-risk-averse theory awhile back (bodes well with his seeming control-freak nature) and I was flayed. If I remember correctly, the counterargument at the time was that Buzz indeed takes risks, as evidenced by his recruitment of unheard of players, eg, Gardner, Jimmy Butler, etc.

I agree except in this game control freak nature is a positive attribute.I think Buzz and staff do a great job recruiting among many other areas but at the time of Gardner and Butler we were not drawing 5 star folks. Gardner has natural offensive talent offset partially by weaker defense. Butler is a special case that reflects pure Buzz perfection. Taking someone and changing his life through hard work and motivation. This is something that Buzz can be particularly proud of. Having said that I do think he can become a better coach who has a higher upside as does this team. Like all of us Buzz has some bias and some fears. Sometimes they are valid but other times, like this year, we need to test line up options with more consistency and take greater risk. I am not in favor of changing the staff. I am in favor of changing some coaching assumptions and tactics. Buzz is very good but this year showed some weaknesses that can easily be corrected in IMHO.

I believe he will adjust in time. If he won't he needs to recruit those who fit his mold otherwise we will have talented offensive bench warmers for at least the first year or more.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2014, 02:43:37 PM »
I for one will be terribly disappointed if Buzz doesn't play with the starting lineup and minutes tomorrow.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2014, 03:42:21 PM »
Buzz is going to start all 4 seniors on senior day. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2014, 04:13:05 PM »
Buzz is going to start all 4 seniors on senior day. 

I can understand that.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2014, 10:02:07 PM »
No you misunderstood the comments. Adjustments by the coach not removing him or the staff. That is change the line up etc.

OK.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2014, 07:51:54 AM »
And putting in the players with the most experience has worked out how well this season?

And it is not hindsight to say that Derrick should not be on the floor anytime there is an offensive possession with a game on the line. It has been stated many times this year on this forum. Maybe we can call it foresight rather than hindsight.
The bolded comment means less than nothing.  Who cares what the people on Scoop say? 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2014, 09:47:03 AM »
I still don't get the comments about Buzz not changing lineups. He has rolled out a starting lineup other than the Derrick, Jake, Juan, Jamil, Chris in about half of the games. Most coaches don't change their lineup at all. He's tried giving different players extended minutes at different times. It was only after the SJU game that he shortened the lineup. And we've been playing better since then (-Villanova)

The only change that he has been unwilling to make is giving Dawson more minutes than Derrick. Which I don't think is unreasonable.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »
I still don't get the comments about Buzz not changing lineups. He has rolled out a starting lineup other than the Derrick, Jake, Juan, Jamil, Chris in about half of the games. Most coaches don't change their lineup at all. He's tried giving different players extended minutes at different times. It was only after the SJU game that he shortened the lineup. And we've been playing better since then (-Villanova)

The only change that he has been unwilling to make is giving Dawson more minutes than Derrick. Which I don't think is unreasonable.
There is no rhyme or reason to some of those lunatic lineups. You don't go from starting JJJ to several DNP's, or playing Juan Anderson for 3 minutes a half--same with Reggie Smith and Erik Williams. Hell Buzz did stuff like this with Crowder his Jr. year, and people ridiculously defended Buzz by saying this was done to prevent Crowder from getting early fouls which is hogwash, as he does not have the foul prone Ja. Wilson coming off the bench. This is just Buzz being irrational.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2014, 10:28:58 AM »

Why?  Every other change has been tried, and they ultimately haven't worked well...so why not try the change at the most critical position on a basketball team?  Do you genuinely believe things would be worse if Buzz flipped Derrick and Dawson's minutes?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2014, 02:17:22 PM »
Why?  Every other change has been tried, and they ultimately haven't worked well...so why not try the change at the most critical position on a basketball team?  Do you genuinely believe things would be worse if Buzz flipped Derrick and Dawson's minutes?

You got it.

I think it's safe to say that we know Dawson would have made some mistakes but what he brings offensively, explosively would be more of what MU used to do: push the ball, shoot the three.
SS Marquette

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »
Buzz did not coach to win this year.  He knew he had a long leash from the success of the previous five years.  Next year will be a different story.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2014, 06:30:00 PM »
Buzz did not coach to win this year.  He knew he had a long leash from the success of the previous five years.  Next year will be a different story.
What--will the leash be shorter, or the year more successful?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2014, 10:16:04 PM »

Of course he coached to win.

He wasn't playing for a high draft pick and he certainly wasn't coaching to develop his young players.

He's a college coach. They all coach to win every single game.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »
Tell Buzz that!

brandx

« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2014, 11:49:10 PM »
The bolded comment means less than nothing.  Who cares what the people on Scoop say? 

That was your response to this: "And putting in the players with the most experience has worked out how well this season?

And it is not hindsight to say that Derrick should not be on the floor anytime there is an offensive possession with a game on the line. It has been stated many times this year on this forum. Maybe we can call it foresight rather than hindsight."

Your comment is absolutely right. Maybe I wasn't clear or maybe you didn't understand what I said. My comment was simply a reply to another poster and I was explaining that what I was saying was not 20/20 hindsight on my part, but had been stated here before.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2014, 11:52:20 PM »

?

brandx

« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2014, 11:53:46 PM »
Of course he coached to win.

He wasn't playing for a high draft pick and he certainly wasn't coaching to develop his young players.

He's a college coach. They all coach to win every single game.

+1.

I think coaches get like politicians when they are under fire. They close in their circle and then, only see what is inside their own bubble.

Buzz had a bad year, but I also think he is an outstanding coach. After he steps away from this season and looks back from outside the bubble, he will take away some lessons that will make him a better coach next year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2014, 04:16:18 AM »

If they had flipped them? Yes, I think we would have 1-2 more losses this season.

If they gave Dawson about 15 minutes per game, I think we have 1-2 more wins this season.

If Duane Wilson doesn't get hurt. I think we have 4-6 more wins this season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2014, 04:34:57 AM »
If they had flipped them? Yes, I think we would have 1-2 more losses this season.

If they gave Dawson about 15 minutes per game, I think we have 1-2 more wins this season.

If Duane Wilson doesn't get hurt. I think we have 4-6 more wins this season

They could have kept Derrick's minutes the same and simply played Gardner and Mayo more consistently and had 4-6 more wins this year.  EVERY statistical measure bears it out and yet we're 17-14.

I hope Buzz truly believes what he says about making these kids better men because if he continues to ignore the concrete evidence regarding the real talent on this team he'll be making sure his highschool players are becoming better men rather than coaching at the Division 1 level in college.  He doesn't get paid 2.5M/year to make sure his guys are slightly better people before they got here.  You can rationalize that thought if you wish but he's getting paid to win first, foremost and only for that matter.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2014, 06:35:48 AM »
I really dislike the buzz bashing on this thread.  Hope it goes away. 

Having said that, and without bashing, I'd like to suggest that Buzz might have missed the emergence of Todd Mayo as a responsible defender and still gives minutes to Derrick when in fact a line up without Derrick and with Todd would be no compromise defensively and much more potent offensively.

The bashers among you are going to reference 2 4 point plays caused by Todd.  I personally thought he was trying to send a message, and that if he got there early enough he would have prevented the make, gave a good foul, and possibly made the opposition think twice about a 3 on his watch in the future.  It backfired.  Darn.  But it was a good, aggressive thought process.  So, more Todd, less Derrick - especially in crunch time - because Todd has proven he's ready. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."