Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Serious suggestion for the mods....  (Read 14046 times)

MUeng

• All American
Re: Serious suggestion for the mods....
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 11:50:08 PM »
I'm with you about many of the jokers here, and I feel your pain, but Who's  we? Unless you are somehow forced to be here, the moderators don't owe you a damn thing.
Amen.  If you don't like the posters or moderators, start your own forum and run it.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 11:51:39 PM »

The fact that they exist upsets me.  The fact that we have whiney, irrational posters upsets me.  And the fact that we have moderators who shed all moderation responsibility bothers me.

Of course, free speech comes with a price.  

IMO "FU Derrick" warrants a ban.  But, "Jake sucks" or "Derrick is the worst player to every wear the color blue," while in poor taste, unproductive, and a cliche, shouldn't warrant a ban.  You can "fight" these posters by calling them out and making rational comments.  That way any parents of MU players/future MU players will see that the good posters far outnumber the bad ones.  

For example, I currently have writer's block and in this meantime, I am going through all of the crap comments, trying to round up the irrational sheep by directing their frustration toward the right direction--Buzz and the coaching staff.

jimmybutlerfanatic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 11:55:08 PM »
Half the board says players, coaches and families NEVER read boards like this.

The other half says they do.

Censor what you want that's the New American way. No freedom of speech.

Mods on this board are like the team....soft. Since I can't even infer the "P" word even though it's true.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 11:57:08 PM »

Mods on this board are like the team....soft. Since I can't even infer the "P" word even though it's true.
You honestly think it is ok to single out a player and use an "F" bomb?
Just admit your mistake and move on....smh

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 12:00:16 AM »

Your tuition/season tickets don't pay the mods for their time, effort, and resources.  If by chance you do actually donate for the upkeep of the board, then feel free to pull your donation.  You should learn to be grateful.

In any case, if you don't like the mod policy, then leave and/or start your own board.

brandx

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »

There is no "Right" to free speech on a message board. Mods here do an pretty good job.

You're not being persecuted - here or in America. You being allowed to whine like a little girl. And it appears that is all you are asking to do.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 12:03:52 AM »
I'm all for free speech. Many get carried away on the boards during games including myself. I wouldn't mind if the game threads were deleted at midnight though following losses. Let's people vent, talk about the game, etc but after that it's time to move on. They are mainly filled with just garbage anyway.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 12:04:04 AM »
By all means, let's shut down the boards during the game, after a tough loss, after a blowout loss, after a less-than-satisfying win over a cupcake, between games when there are too many days too opine, on Thursdays, between 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Sundays and whenever one person doesn't like what another person has said.

There. That should cover it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 12:05:30 AM »
By all means, let's shut down the boards during the game, after a tough loss, after a blowout loss, after a less-than-satisfying win over a cupcake, between games when there are too many days too opine, on Thursdays, between 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Sundays and whenever one person doesn't like what another person has said.

There. That should cover it.

Maybe then we can land some recruits!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 12:15:54 AM »
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.

Really, the threads here and the comments reflect very poorly on our fan-base.  One of the Duke boards did something similar after one of their loses for similar reasons.

You are losing too many good posters after a night like this.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 02:14:22 AM »
I think everyone here knows my position on angry venting and ripping of players. I think it is low, despicable, and makes me question the value of my Marquette degree.

That being said

I would NEVER suggest censoring this board.

As much peace as the shut down would give me, I think goes against the purposes of a message board.

There, let the venting resume
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 02:21:12 AM »

Death on call

bdee29

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 02:30:32 AM »
Seriously...read the posts from the game thread.  Read the topics that have started since the game was done.  Its the same player-bashing crap that happens after every loss.  It's all out of emotion...none of it is rational.

We have to remember, there are family members that read this stuff.  And we are just anonymous goofs sitting behind a computer...but we represent Marquette University.

Honestly if we can't represent Marquette appropriately, I think the forum needs to be taken away from us.

Have you read your signature lately?

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 02:42:08 AM »
Well, I think it is fair to rip Derrick if he makes costly plays but I do agree it ultimately falls on Buzz. This year he has been a disaster and the way he backs bad players is gross.
A coach is supposed to back his players...and Derrick is not a "bad player." He is better then you are. He just is what he is...solid in many respects but limited.

He was thrust into a role and a position not suited for him. So was a few players on this team. Derrick is a fundamentally sound player. But lacks confidence in his shot. And then he sees teams play off of him and it then becomes hard to even make layups or free throws. It is a trickled down effect.

I did not like that play MU ran when all they had to do is get the darn ball inbounds to the right guy. That is inexcusable. Since I did not watch the game and was listening on the radio in bed, I would not make that big a deal out of it.

But the way it was described is you throw that ball to Gardner not Jake Thomas although he is a good FT shooter...but you throw it to someone with good hands and who is taller who can hold the ball away from being tied up.

Devante should have been the first option and Jamil should have been throwing the ball into . . . Devante. All you had to do was get the ball in...come on now.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 02:49:21 AM »
You're unbelievable.

Let's censor the posts after a loss because it might possibly upset someone.

LOL.
Yes....you don't have to get personal or vulgar. You're not playing! There not out there trying to lose. You take it for what it is. It doesn't take all of that...

How in the hell are you that frustrated with an MU team that went on the road on their 'Senior Day' was it, down by 11 with about 4:30 to go and took a team to double OT!?

That is ungrateful. Yeah I was upset too. But not at any particular player. I was more upset on that last execution when we could not avoid the tie up and change of possession not the foul on Derrick.

Mayo had a chance to win it at the buzzer and just missed it. They still could of won. Why jump on Derrick?

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 02:54:56 AM »
How can you seriously suggest shutting down a message board?

Are these kids not receiving a top shelf education free of charge?

Should we not be allowed to acknowledge when they play well?

This is an all time low even for you.  These kids play on a high major division one program.  The criticism here isn't 1/10th of that if we were a real blue blood.  Why don't you leave the board until the following morning if the posts following a very winnable loss upset you?

No why don't you leave before overly berating a player? What does a top shelf education have to do with this game or with you thinking you can verbally abuse a player because you are upset over a loss.

I am sure the players are MORE UPSET THEN YOU ARE!

They don't get paid either. There education is their payment...yeah right. But your abusive of them is not.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2014, 06:42:13 AM »
I wonder how any one of us would feel if our co-workers and/or customers personally criticized us anonymously in a public message board like this about our job or academic performance. IT"S JUST A GAME.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 07:23:02 AM »
I thought the purpose of this board was to vent our fandom while standing on the soapbox and take it out in cyberspace rather than on the people around us.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 07:23:53 AM »
Let them have their therapeutic outlet.  Some of it is silly, it'll be buried in the archives in a day or two.  After all, I still believe the high horses who constantly whine about the whiners are much more annoying.  If everything was positive and encouraging this would a spirit squad board rather than a fan board.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2014, 09:35:29 AM »
No why don't you leave before overly berating a player? What does a top shelf education have to do with this game or with you thinking you can verbally abuse a player because you are upset over a loss.

I am sure the players are MORE UPSET THEN YOU ARE!

They don't get paid either. There education is their payment...yeah right. But your abusive of them is not.

I think you're confusing posters as I never said anything vulgar or abusive towards anyone on the team.  I do think suggesting shutting down a message board because someone doesn't like the posts following a loss is ridiculous however.  He personally could choose not to read them or respond to them.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2014, 09:51:34 AM »
A coach is supposed to back his players...and Derrick is not a "bad player." He is better then you are. He just is what he is...solid in many respects but limited.

He was thrust into a role and a position not suited for him. So was a few players on this team. Derrick is a fundamentally sound player. But lacks confidence in his shot. And then he sees teams play off of him and it then becomes hard to even make layups or free throws. It is a trickled down effect.

I did not like that play MU ran when all they had to do is get the darn ball inbounds to the right guy. That is inexcusable. Since I did not watch the game and was listening on the radio in bed, I would not make that big a deal out of it.

But the way it was described is you throw that ball to Gardner not Jake Thomas although he is a good FT shooter...but you throw it to someone with good hands and who is taller who can hold the ball away from being tied up.

Devante should have been the first option and Jamil should have been throwing the ball into . . . Devante. All you had to do was get the ball in...come on now.
  He was thrust into a role and a position not suited for him?  What role should he be expected to play, shooting guard, power forward, small forward, the 5?  He was recruited to play point guard.  Now, if he can't play it at the D1 level that is the recruiter's fault for recruiting him.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2014, 10:22:10 AM »

Forget it.  I'll give myself a vacation until the season is over.  

I knew you wouldn't accept any responsibility. 

Calm down Sultan. You're just emotional right now. Things are all good at MU Scoop.

Tomorrow will be a better day.  ;D

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 10:32:17 AM »
Why don't you leave the board until the following morning if the posts following a very winnable loss upset you?

This. If reading stupid comments so greatly offends, then maybe those overly-sensitive people should just not read the board for a while. I say that as someone who has made his share of stupid comments in the heat of the moment.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2014, 10:34:32 AM »
I'm not sure exactly what has been said out of line on this board after last night's game. IMO it's been a pretty level-headed discussion/evaluation of an emotional loss and a relatively disappointing season in general. I think you're off base here Sultan.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2014, 10:39:41 AM »
I'm not sure exactly what has been said out of line on this board after last night's game. IMO it's been a pretty level-headed discussion/evaluation of an emotional loss and a relatively disappointing season in general. I think you're off base here Sultan.

+1

feedback