[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Well It Is Over... For Now  (Read 6205 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Well It Is Over... For Now
« on: February 03, 2014, 11:37:19 PM »
After Saturday, I'm looking ahead to baseball season. Maybe that's a function of the awful weather in the Midwest this year, but it's also reality with Marquette basketball. It's time to move on and start thinking about 2014-2015 and what we can do for a year from now.

There are those out there who think that if we just kick butt and take names the rest of the season, the NCAA will look favorably on us and invite us to a one-and-done session in the post-season. You can be as optimistic as you want, but this team has laid more eggs than a productive chicken ever will.

We have yet to beat anyone that for now is tournament worthy. And, no Georgetown is not. They're in the same boat we are. Our losses aren't bad -- except for Saturday and that over-priced trash of a game against Ohio State (we should get ticket credit for that one). When we win, like we did against Providence, we seem to let victory barely escape from the jaws of defeat. With the possible exception of GW, we have no wins against strong, reputable opponents that will cause the Committee to stand up and look.

So now, what about next year. Let's begin with the backcourt. What we've learned is we have one-dimensional guards. Give Buzz credit, he plays DWil for defense, but I think even I at 57 could score more frequently. Mayo was supposed to be Blue's replacement. Yeah, right.Our forwards, Steve Taylor and Deonte, look like the beginning of something good. But they need a year. What we have to try to understand is that we need scoring -- a Jae Crowder or Jimmy  Butler type. If we get it, we're strong next year. If  not, Buzz and his team are on the hot seat.

In the interim, I'm looking forward to the lazy hazy days of summer. When the temperature breaks 20 degree F!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Well It Is Over... For Now
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 12:03:53 AM »
I watch the games and am a fan win or lose. You can be fairweather if you like.

And to clarify, I'm not saying being fairweather is a bad thing. I'm a fairweather fan with the Bucks and Red Wings. There are just different kinds of Marquette fans
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 12:19:17 AM »
Season over?  We still have the BE tournament. 

I know what you're thinking.  We can barely beat SHU at home let alone win 3 (4?) straight games on the road/neutral site.  However, I would ask that you keep in mind a couple of things:
1)  Kemba Walker
2-a)  We still have 9 games for the freshmen to realize at least some of their potential, particularly John Dawson.
2-b)  We still have roughly 5 weeks to break down film with the freshmen to improve their game.  The more they play, the more in-game experience they get (the best type of experience), the more a chemistry builds, the more film Buzz gets, etc.

We can win this thing.  I honestly believe that.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 12:35:24 AM »

I know what you're thinking.  We can barely beat SHU at home let alone win 3 (4?) straight games on the road/neutral site.  However, I would ask that you keep in mind a couple of things:
1)  Kemba Walker
2-a)  We still have 9 games for the freshmen to realize at least some of their potential, particularly John Dawson.
2-b)  We still have roughly 5 weeks to break down film with the freshmen to improve their game.  The more they play, the more in-game experience they get (the best type of experience), the more a chemistry builds, the more film Buzz gets, etc.

We have Kemba Walker on our team? Awesome!

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 06:34:56 AM »

1)  Kemba Walker

You realize the 2011 UConn team had another lottery pick outside of Kemba and that they were actually pretty good before conference play (won the Maui beating MSU and Kentucky).

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 07:12:35 AM »
If  not, Buzz and his team are on the hot seat.

Another year like this and Buzz wouldn't be anywhere near a hot seat.  It would take an awful lot to undo the goodwill he's built up so far.

While I haven't "given up" on this team, and will continue to watch each game and cheer for them, I'm not optimistic about the balance of this season.  I think the NCAAs are a pipe dream, and that the NIT is not even assured.  If we could put together 3 or 4 straight well-played games, I'm sure I'd change my mind.  But until I see that, it's hard to get excited about the potential for this season.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 07:15:08 AM »
I love baseball but I just can't start thinking about baseball season until the Marquette season is finished regardless of our record or circumstances.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 07:24:34 AM »
Obviously a disappointing season and difficult to stay excited. I have had peaks and valleys all year and my hope is we much more of the young guys rest of the way. I can live with disappointing season if our young guys make real progress. Not quite at the ready for baseball season yet. That said, have no hope for exciting March run this year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 07:35:04 AM »
The season isn't over until the final loss.   If MU doesn't win the Big East, then I want to see how far they can go in the NIT.   Because there is learning and building and teaching to be done in every game and in every practice. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 07:57:17 AM »
Tower

With you 100% provided the guys are learning and getting better. The performance on Saturday did indicate to me that they were doing either. My hopes is that they do exactly as you stated and not fall off a cliff. Buzz keeping these on track for a few weeks is going to be difficult IMO. Body language on Saturday and a few other games has not been that of a team being in a good place.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 08:01:33 AM »
I simply approach the season differently at this point.  Still interested.  But my focus shifts to underclassmen development.  I've enjoyed guys like Gardner and Jamil, but they're moving on.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 08:04:54 AM »
Goose, there is learning and teaching to be done even when (I could argue especially when) the season is not going well.   A young guy can watch and learn how NOT to lead.   What DOESN'T work.     And vow to never be like that.    He can see what poor work habits lead to.   He can learn what not playing defense to the coach's requirements or to the scouting report leads to.    He can resolve to be better.    So, every game, every practice, every shootaround, there is value.    There is a chance for character to be developed and revealed.   Hopefully, the young guys are choosing that route, and not the whiny, mopey, entitled route.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »
I still watch the games as much as possible, but I am a bit checked out on this team.  The loss on Saturday didn't even bother me that much.  The weather is still freezing and my Wolves are hovering around .500.

The calendar has turned to February and I am absolutely ready for pitchers and catchers to report.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 09:31:20 AM »
Sounds like you guys need to watch hockey and nba.  But honestly if we can get it together and make the NIT finals even I'd be happy.  It's the best of a bad situation and I think that when you make the finals of a tournament time that it shows enourmous potential for the young guys about not giving up no matter how bad a season might be or how bittersweet it is to win in that tournament.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 09:44:45 AM »
The season isn't over until the final loss.   If MU doesn't win the Big East, then I want to see how far they can go in the NIT.   Because there is learning and building and teaching to be done in every game and in every practice. 

Every game is a new chance to win.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 01:18:14 PM »

We needed an image to go with our dying hopes.  Like some stadiums bring out the "we believe" signs, we will bring this picture.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »

We needed an image to go with our dying hopes.  Like some stadiums bring out the "we believe" signs, we will bring this picture.

I like it.

I did forget about Lamb, but that's not the point.  Whenever I see my team down by, say, 8 with, say, 9 seconds to go, I say to whoever is watching the game with me "Reggie Miller, guys, Reggie Miller!"  Not to say that we have/had a Reggie-like shooter on our team, but it symbolizes what's in the realm of possibilities.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 07:19:56 PM »
It looks better here in the warm south. There is still is a chance. Small chance but ... just maybe.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 08:52:25 PM »
We'll we made Berry look like a stud

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
I propose dgies9156's sign:

SS Marquette

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 09:09:17 PM »
We'll we Gardner made Berry look like a stud

FTFY

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »
I propose dgies9156's sign:

Yeah it has been that bad this year.

Don;t get me wrong. I'm still going three more times. But we;re going nowhere and I'm not sure I want to look.

I saw tonight but I don't think it changes anything.