Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU to make the Tourney, Bucky Will Not  (Read 22093 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: MU to make the Tourney, Bucky Will Not
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 11:19:54 AM »
Unless UW goes on a 10-game losing streak it is in the Dance. You get ranked in the Top 5 any time in the season and you're in.

Happens all the time.  See #3 Kentucky last year.

How about former #3 tOSU this year?  They are 1 and 5 in the last six.  Lose tomorrow and they are 3 and 6 in the B1G.  Are they a lock too and can reel off 7 straight losses and get in?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:22:17 AM by Heisenberg »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 11:21:04 AM »
I might quit Scoop after this post.

Oh no. Everyone. Titan is threatening to quit the Internet.

Someone stop him.

Someone.

Please.

Stop.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »
Maybe he can update the Prediction Board before he bolts, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 12:00:19 PM »
I would say a significantly higher chance that MU does not make the tourney and Bucky does...

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »
You need legitimate psychological help if you think the badgers are even close to the bubble.

Please tell me you were under the influence of alcohol and at least 5 felony level drugs before making this thread.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 12:35:31 PM »
You need legitimate psychological help if you think the badgers are even close to the bubble.

Please tell me you were under the influence of alcohol and at least 5 felony level drugs before making this thread.

reading comprehension ... Said IF Bucky loses to tOSU tomorrow THEN they are in trouble (as they would be 1 and 5 in the last 6 games).  I predicted they would lose to tOSU tomorrow.  Then I said IF they lose to tOSU and are 1 and 5 in the last six games, @ILL becomes critical as they then have MSU next Saturday.  So, IF they lose tomorrow, things could spiral out of control for Bucky

You do understand the definition of "if."
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:37:04 PM by Heisenberg »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 12:40:17 PM »
Bucky's loss the Northwestern at home was devastating!!  They are now 1 and 4 in the last 5 and reeling.  The only collapse worse in the B1G is tOSU (1 and 5 in the last 6).  Great for our SoS!

The loser of tomorrow's tOSU at UW is in deep trouble and becomes a bubble team, if not out altogether (B1G is not sending 7 or 8 teams this year).  I think Bucky loses.

On the other side, if we win a St. Johns tomorrow and follow-up with a Butler win Tuesday, both doable, we are 6 and 4 back in the conversation as a bubble team.

Anyone else buying the idea the Bucky collapse continues and they do not get in (or tOSU if they lose tomorrow at UW) and we climb out of the hole and do get in.

Hoo Boy. Pass the LSD.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 12:53:39 PM »
Maybe he can update the Prediction Board before he bolts, aina?

Doubtful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
OSU's resume is not very impressive, with really no impressive wins out of conference, they sit at 3-5 in conference right now (next two games @Wisconsin and @Iowa).  They very well could slide to 3-7 in conference and if they go 6-2 over their last 8 they'll move to 9-9 in conference.

That'll probably be good enough to get them in, but I think OSU is a lot closer to the bubble than most think.
Yeah, but their ass kicking of us at home will put them in over us any day.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 01:18:09 PM »
reading comprehension ... Said IF Bucky loses to tOSU tomorrow THEN they are in trouble (as they would be 1 and 5 in the last 6 games).  I predicted they would lose to tOSU tomorrow.  Then I said IF they lose to tOSU and are 1 and 5 in the last six games, @ILL becomes critical as they then have MSU next Saturday.  So, IF they lose tomorrow, things could spiral out of control for Bucky

I understand the definition of "if" and its still wrong. If UW loses to OSU tomorrow they are not in trouble. They are still safely in.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 01:49:55 PM »

So a lot of ifs....and still wrong.

IF they lose tomorrow they are still NO WHERE near the bubble

brandx

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 01:53:34 PM »
Despite their recents slides, both Wisc and OSU resumes are still impressive and they are both still "in" by about 15-20 at large teams.  They will each need to lose the majority of their remaining games to really be considered bubble.  

On the other hand, we are about 10-15 teams away from the bubble still.  Good news is out next few games are favorable, and there will be a lot of attrition with the bubble teams.  If MU can beat @stj, butler, and @shu, MU will be just a few teams outside the bubble.

+1

As of 3 days ago both were still in the top 25 by Lunardi. One more loss doesn't put you on the bubble

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 02:19:04 PM »
Bucky's loss the Northwestern at home was devastating!!  They are now 1 and 4 in the last 5 and reeling.  The only collapse worse in the B1G is tOSU (1 and 5 in the last 6).  Great for our SoS!

The loser of tomorrow's tOSU at UW is in deep trouble and becomes a bubble team, if not out altogether (B1G is not sending 7 or 8 teams this year).  I think Bucky loses.

On the other side, if we win a St. Johns tomorrow and follow-up with a Butler win Tuesday, both doable, we are 6 and 4 back in the conversation as a bubble team.

Anyone else buying the idea the Bucky collapse continues and they do not get in (or tOSU if they lose tomorrow at UW) and we climb out of the hole and do get in.

Lol there is no "if" or or Illinois mentioned.

Seriously, how many different drugs have you taken in the past 24 hours? Better be at least 7

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 02:57:53 PM »
Happens all the time.  See #3 Kentucky last year.

How about former #3 tOSU this year?  They are 1 and 5 in the last six.  Lose tomorrow and they are 3 and 6 in the B1G.  Are they a lock too and can reel off 7 straight losses and get in?

Kentucky was ranked third in the first month of the season, and strictly on preseason hype. They were nowhere near the Top 5 in January. In fact, they were 4-3 on December 1. OSU and UW would have top completely tank not to make it; their RPIs are way too good.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 03:04:31 PM »
Kentucky was ranked third in the first month of the season, and strictly on preseason hype. They were nowhere near the Top 5 in January. In fact, they were 4-3 on December 1. OSU and UW would have top completely tank not to make it; their RPIs are way too good.

That is what they are doing.

jsheim

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »
I would rather see OSU out than UW though both are annoying.

As for MU, hoping for 4/5 @home and 4/5 on road. Starts in NY on Sat.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 04:27:27 PM »
Not even a little bit.....people forget the whole season counts. UWs RPI is 9...their SOS is 3

They are 4-2 against the top 50(we are 1-8) They have 10 top 100 wins ...we have 3.

OSU has 7 top 100 wins... computer numbers are pretty good..and if its close between them and us  they did beat us by 18 points on our court...

UW is pretty much a lock.......OSU could possibly fall out but they have a much better chance of making it then we do.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2014, 04:47:23 PM »
Gimme some of that meth you are smoking Heisenberg

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2014, 05:17:39 PM »

+1

As of 3 days ago both were still in the top 25 by Lunardi. One more loss doesn't put you on the bubble

Palm updated his bracket today and has OSU as an 11 seed.  Their profile is plummeting right now and another loss this weekend will only add to the free fall.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2014, 07:14:13 PM »
Wisconsin is in unless they finish worse than 8-10 in the Big Ten.  Wisconsin has wins over Florida, SLU, Marquette, WVU, SJU, Green Bay, Virginia, Iowa and Illinois.  Yes, they're currently 4-4 in the Big10, but they're in fine shape.

Ohio State is probably in as well, but they're in a slightly less admirable position.  Their best wins are against MU, Notre Dame, Maryland and Illinois - all teams that have struggled this year.  They're currently sitting at 3-5 in B10, and probably need to finish 9-9 to feel comfortable.

I'm not saying UW is a bubble team, but their resume is not nearly as impressive as you think.  They beat Florida when they had like 6 total players on the team.  SLU is solid, but really only played two quality games and lost them both.  If we played SLU's schedule I think we would be 16-2 also.  WVU is bad.  SJU is bad.  Illinois is bad.

Their quality wins are Iowa, Virginia.  I think Us or UWGB is their third best win when one considers the circumstances of when the games were played.

The B10 is not nearly as strong as people thought they were.  Northwestern (who is 4-5 in the big) may be the worst team I have seen play this year (judging from the depaul game).  They lost to Depaul and Illinois St. out of conference and were beaten by a bad NC State team by 21.  Yet they are currently tied for 6th in the B10.

I honestly think if the B10 played the Big East (top 10 from each conference) that we would win at least 5.

Creighton vs. Michigan         Win for Creighton
Villanova vs. Mich. St.          Toss up.  I'll give it to Nova only because of Mich. St. injuries.
Xavier vs. Iowa                   Iowa in a close game
Providence vs. UW               Toss up.  If they played today Providence would win easily (cotton would score 30).

Marquette vs. Minnesota        Toss up.  Give it to minnesota
Seton Hall vs. Northwestern.  Seton Hall
Georgetown vs. Ohio State     OSU
St. John's vs. Purdue             St. John's
Depaul vs. Indiana               Would be interesting we'll give it to Indiana
Butler vs. Nebraska               Butler

That is 6-4 Big East over B10.  B10 isn't as strong as people think and the Big East is not as weak as people think.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2014, 07:21:57 PM »
The Big 10 at a minimum will get 7 bids. The loser of the Ohio St/UW game will have some work to do, but they would need to keep losing to not get a bid.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »
The Big 10 at a minimum will get 7 bids. The loser of the Ohio St/UW game will have some work to do, but they would need to keep losing to not get a bid.

I think they'll end up getting 6 unless someone makes a run in the B10 tourney... Mich, MSU, Iowa, Wisc, OSU, and Minn all solidly in.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2014, 07:44:16 PM »

They'll get 7 max, most likely 6.

Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Nebraska, and Penn St aren't making the tournament.  Indiana probably not.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2014, 07:49:16 PM »
Lol at nova beating MSU. Even if you are considering their injuries.

Healthy it wouldn't even be close. MSU is making the final 4 without a doubt.

brandx

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »
If we played SLU's schedule I think we would be 16-2 also.  WVU is bad.  SJU is bad.  Illinois is bad.

Must be smokin' the same stuff as Heisenberg.

UW & Wichita St. are easy losses so you think we are 16-0 against the rest of their schedule. Have you seen us play this year?