[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Villanova thoughts  (Read 7134 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Villanova thoughts
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2014, 04:40:56 PM »
This:

PG: Dawson
SG:Mayo
SF: J. Wilson
PF: Taylor
C: Gartner

I don't care who starts but these should see the majority of minutes.

Bingo - Far and away the best lineup for Marquette.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brandx

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2014, 04:43:41 PM »
Did you know what MU's offensive strategy was?  No you don't.  MU's offense was focused on two things:
  • Get the ball to Davante in the paint which happened quite frequently
  • Run a screens to get Mayo or Thomas a clean shot or get Mayo a mismatch.  This also happened.

MU was going to run with their two best options Mayo and Gardner.  Why?...because Villanova plays a 4 guard lineup and their biggest guy can't guard Gardner.  MU missed shots in OT and defensively didn't stop anything.

The reason Wilson dribbles on the top is he is waiting for Davante to get position.  Wilson did what the strategy was and did it well as Gardner had 29 points.  

C'mon man....

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
This:

PG: Dawson
SG:Mayo
SF: J. Wilson
PF: Taylor
C: Gartner

I don't care who starts but these should see the majority of minutes.

That lineup would give up over 90 to Depaul.  Gardner is our worst post defender.  Dawson may be our worst perimeter defender.  Mayo can play solid defense, but gambles too much and then gives up easy scores.  Taylor is not completely mobile yet and is poor at rotating and tends to give up back door buckets.  

Only Wilson in that lineup is solid defensively.

We may score 85 with that lineup, but would lose 92-85 to Depaul.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 05:03:11 PM »
C'mon man....

Watch the players move and understand what MU is trying to do.  Against Georgetown, we were facing a zone so it was a different strategy.  They had Taylor flashing to the middle of the zone where he shot from the line, drove, or looked to pass out as the defense collapse. 

The reason I think Dawson played more against Georgetown was because you need people to shoot the three.  That is one of the things I think we can all agree Dawson is not afraid to do though he has had marginal success doing it at 27.8%.  The value prop in that situation is Dawson has shown that he is willing to shoot it while Wilson doesn't. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 05:03:43 PM »
That lineup would give up over 90 to Depaul.  Gardner is our worst post defender.  Dawson may be our worst perimeter defender.  Mayo can play solid defense, but gambles too much and then gives up easy scores.  Taylor is not completely mobile yet and is poor at rotating and tends to give up back door buckets.  

That's funny because somehow we were able to beat Georgetown on the road with that lineup.  The whole argument of some of these guys being poor defenders is a reach.  Derrick isn't this amazing defender who never gets beat off the bounce and totally shuts his guy down. See Thames, Xavier.  Carson, Jahi.  

It is clearly evident is that the team is significantly handicapped offensively.  
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 05:06:11 PM »
Play the best players more often, a little nebulous, but I think must people get the point.  Yes match-ups call for different approaches, but your best players should be playing the majority of minutes

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 05:07:35 PM »

I know right ? Nobody has a clue. Who wouldn't prefer a 69-57 loss to butler instead of that?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 05:10:43 PM »
This is something I've said every time we're chasing points at the end.  Derrick can't be on the floor when we need to score because not only is he not a threat, there is no sense of urgency in his play. 

When you think about it, he can't be in when we're ahead in a close game, either, since we can't afford to have him get fouled.
Except he was on the floor at the end of regulation when we mde the run and tied the game.  Other than that inconvenient fact, spot on. 

brandx

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »
That's funny because somehow we were able to beat Georgetown on the road with that lineup.  The whole argument of some of these guys being poor defenders is a reach.  Derrick isn't this amazing defender who never gets beat off the bounce and totally shuts his guy down. See Thames, Xavier.  Carson, Jahi.  

It is clearly evident is that the team is significantly handicapped offensively.  

I would add Arcidiacono, Ryan to the list except DW wasn't trusted to guard him.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2014, 05:17:22 PM »
Glad to see J-Wil play aggressive and D-Gard Excellent. Wish Mayo would be consistent. Taylor big help.
Now we have to get the coach straightened out. Burton has been a non-factor and we need JJJ to get it going
by tourney time.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 05:18:57 PM »
Ryan A and Carson are best I've seen this year. RA no. 1.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2014, 05:21:02 PM »

Thames and Carson scored their points shooting over the top of him, not by beating him off the bounce.  

We are handicapped offensively.  The best thing that could happen to this team is if Jamil would repeated attack the rim off the bounce.  Also, get Oxtule out, too much in the paint.  Its clogging up the lane and limiting penetration.  Switch to Taylor/Ox or Taylor/Otule.  Taylor is capable of shooting from outside so can function more in the mold of Crowder/Butler.

Would also like to see us try.  

Dawson
Mayo
Juan
Jamil
Taylor

Using Juan instead of Burton here solely for defense, if Burton's defense can be trusted put him in at the 3/4 with Jamil.  This would open the lane for a lot of attacks off the bounce with Dawson/Mayo/Jamil (and Burton if used).

Legitimate threads from 3 in Dawson/Mayo/Jamil and Taylor.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2014, 05:22:19 PM »
Except he was on the floor at the end of regulation when we mde the run and tied the game.  Other than that inconvenient fact, spot on. 

ATL - Know you love Derrick, but....did Derrick create the amazing looks for Todd Mayo, like you saw Ryan A do for his teammates - dishing off for dunks, etc.?

Todd Mayo single handidly took over the game, and created his own looks basically.  Derrick did nothing to help Mayo get off.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2014, 05:31:37 PM »
ATL - Know you love Derrick, but....did Derrick create the amazing looks for Todd Mayo, like you saw Ryan A do for his teammates - dishing off for dunks, etc.?

Todd Mayo single handidly took over the game, and created his own looks basically.  Derrick did nothing to help Mayo get off.

That is interesting because Wilson was created for an assist on 1 of 3 of Mayo's baskets.  The one being the kick to mayo for a three pointer in the corner.  I haven't been able to find a replay of the three pointer that Mayo was fouled on.

So to say that Wilson had nothing to do with Mayo going off is not a true statement.  Mayo created 2 of the three shots.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »

Yeah, but if Dawson (who in 8 minutes was 1- 4 from the floor, had zero rebounds, zero assists and on at least 2 occasions gave Nova the ball by waiting for it to come to him instead of going after it) would have been in there for the comeback we would have won in regulation. LOL. He got 8 minutes today because he shot 25% and did NOTHING else offensively or defensively to help us. He got every bit what he earned, maybe more. And "Bane" was worse - looked totally lost on both ends in his (thank God) brief stint. Both were net negatives - if neither one played we probably win in regulation, but everyone insists the problem was they didn't see the court enough.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
That is interesting because Wilson was created for an assist on 1 of 3 of Mayo's baskets.  The one being the kick to mayo for a three pointer in the corner.  I haven't been able to find a replay of the three pointer that Mayo was fouled on.

So to say that Wilson had nothing to do with Mayo going off is not a true statement.  Mayo created 2 of the three shots.
Derrick also handed off the ball to Todd when he was fouled on the 3.

Whatever, another loss and another 'scoop meltdown over Derrick.

Almost total ignoring of the real reasons we lost this game.  Defense (interior and lazy 3 point closeouts) and rebounding.  Oh, and we can't shoot.  I somehow always forget that one.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:40:57 PM by ATL MU Warrior »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 05:41:37 PM »
Whenever the other team has a line up on the floor that requires Gardner or Otule to chase them on the perimeter, it is a disadvantage for MU, regardless of what is happening on the offensive end.  
.....and whenever the other team has a smaller lineup on the floor who are trying to defend Gardner and OTule, it is an advantage for MU, regardless of what is happening on the defensive end.
Nova did a great job on getting those two in poor defensive spots late in the shot clock. We punished them inside the paint. So goes the quandary of Gardner especially. However, Buzz is not going to change this the next time we play them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2014, 05:41:44 PM »

Nobody is saying that Derrick is Ryan A - or that Jamil is Bell, for that matter. Should we bench them for John D and Burton because of that? Do you think Dawson and Bane are as good as Ryan A and Bell?

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 05:44:04 PM »
I would add Arcidiacono, Ryan to the list except DW wasn't trusted to guard him.

add Cullen Neal and Manigat off creighton to the list.....

i wish derrick graduated last year...

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2014, 05:45:14 PM »
Thames and Carson scored their points shooting over the top of him, not by beating him off the bounce.  

We are handicapped offensively.  The best thing that could happen to this team is if Jamil would repeated attack the rim off the bounce.  Also, get Oxtule out, too much in the paint.  Its clogging up the lane and limiting penetration.  Switch to Taylor/Ox or Taylor/Otule.  Taylor is capable of shooting from outside so can function more in the mold of Crowder/Butler.

Would also like to see us try.  

Dawson
Mayo
Juan
Jamil
Taylor

Using Juan instead of Burton here solely for defense, if Burton's defense can be trusted put him in at the 3/4 with Jamil.  This would open the lane for a lot of attacks off the bounce with Dawson/Mayo/Jamil (and Burton if used).

Legitimate threads from 3 in Dawson/Mayo/Jamil and Taylor.

Juan has taken 10 steps backward this year.....

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2014, 05:45:36 PM »

I don't think anyone is saying we should play De. Wilson 0 minutes.   I just think he should get 15 minutes or so.  Gardner had 39 against Villanova and did a pretty good job on their bigs.  He is not great but he made fewer mistakes than Steve Taylor.  I am not sure you were watching the same game.  

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2014, 05:46:04 PM »
Derrick also handed off the ball to Todd when he was fouled on the 3.

Whatever, another loss and another 'scoop meltdown over Derrick.

Almost total ignoring of the real reasons we lost this game.  Defense (interior and lazy 3 point closeouts) and rebounding.  

I thought that was the case but I didn't want to state for a fact since I couldn't remember.  I believe this shows Mayo did everything on his own and Wilson did not contribute.  He also let someone who he wasn't guarding score.  His 7 assists were really turnovers that happened to fall in his teams hands.  His six points were bad passes which happened to luckily fall into the basket.  

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2014, 05:49:20 PM »
That is interesting because Wilson was created for an assist on 1 of 3 of Mayo's baskets.  The one being the kick to mayo for a three pointer in the corner.  I haven't been able to find a replay of the three pointer that Mayo was fouled on.

So to say that Wilson had nothing to do with Mayo going off is not a true statement.  Mayo created 2 of the three shots.

I was at the game sitting courtside right where Mayo made the next to impossible 3 from the baseline...it was a highly contested look, degree of difficulty was off the charts.  Hardly a nice drive, draw and dish for a clean look at the 3.

Yeah, but if Dawson (who in 8 minutes was 1- 4 from the floor, had zero rebounds, zero assists and on at least 2 occasions gave Nova the ball by waiting for it to come to him instead of going after it) would have been in there for the comeback we would have won in regulation. LOL. He got 8 minutes today because he shot 25% and did NOTHING else offensively or defensively to help us. He got every bit what he earned, maybe more. And "Bane" was worse - looked totally lost on both ends in his (thank God) brief stint. Both were net negatives - if neither one played we probably win in regulation, but everyone insists the problem was they didn't see the court enough.

Really?  Saw Derrick make a couple of ridiculous turnovers, travel late in regulation.  And Dawson's 3 points in 8 minutes equaled half of Derrick's output in 36 minutes.  Perhaps if Dawson got 36 minutes he would have multiplied is scoring by 4 times, and given us 13 points...sure would have helped...and he's shown he can score 12 in 30 minutes at Georgetown.

Nonetheless Lenny - you can keep burying your head in the sand and thinking the teams struggles don't have anything to do with Derrick getting max minutes.  I'm sure at the outset of the season you expected us to be 11-9 with no wins over Top 50 teams.  Clearly Gardner is a disappointment with 29 and 13 in 39 minutes, Mayo hasn't stepped up his game, and Jamil continues to struggle and not be able to build on last season, all because they regressed over the summer.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2014, 05:54:38 PM »
Seriously, what does Buzz see in Derrick Wilson? Does anybody know?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2014, 05:55:03 PM »
I don't think anyone is saying we should play De. Wilson 0 minutes.   I just think he should get 15 minutes or so.  Gardner had 39 against Villanova and did a pretty good job on their bigs.  He is not great but he made fewer mistakes than Steve Taylor.  I am not sure you were watching the same game.  

Gardner is awful at help defense in the post.  He does not commit to help defense, rather stays with his man.  He is also poor on rotations.

Taylor I don't fully consider yet when referring to post defenders, he is still getting back into rhythm in the game and we don't have enough minutes to evaluate him with this year.

And some people have said D. Wilson should get 0 minutes.  I have never said he should get 40, I have been very supportive of Dawson when he does well but equally supportive of Wilson when he does well.  

feedback