collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pink  (Read 6735 times)

BenCat12

• Team Captain
Pink
« on: January 23, 2014, 05:35:50 PM »
I understand supporting cancer research and awareness.  One of the most difficult times in my life was when my grandfather died of colon cancer.  I understand how cancer effects families and the horrible ways it kills people.  But does anyone know why breast cancer seems to be more, for lack of a better word, valued than other cancers?  Why don't sports teams wear orange for ovarian cancer, green for lung cancer, blue for colon cancer?  Is there a reason why other cancers get ignored?  Is it strictly the marketing of breast cancer awareness groups? 

Before people jump down my throat about this, I donate to cancer research every year and it has effected my family.  But I am sick of pink in sports!!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Pink
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 05:47:01 PM »
I'm right there with you.  If it is to raise awareness, then it is asinine.   Everyone knows someone who has been affected by it.  As for popularity, prostate cancer is the most common non-skin cancer... why no awareness for prostates?

My take is that is just a PR move.  So you can say you did something without actually doing something.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 06:05:35 PM »
I'm not an oncologist. Nor do I work for cancer research. Nor do I work for any cancer charities. Having said that...

Breast cancer has become a "fun" and "marketable" cancer. It's all about the pink stuff. And the "I Heart Boobies" bracelets. And whatever else they come up with from a PR/marketing perspective. Susan G. Komen is a freaking empire (and they've done some not so nice things....). It is a cancer that is widespread and one of the most prevalent among females. But, again, it's very much about PR rather than the true face of the suffering patient going through chemo. Especially younger (high school/college) kids participate in things because they don't have any idea what cancer is really like. Plus breast cancer holds a "soft spot" in people's hearts due to who gets it. Grandmas, sisters, moms, etc. And, in general, it's not a negative association type cancer like lung (smoking) or skin (sun). Plus, no one wants to wear a brown ribbon for colon cancer (although it's extremely deadly)

Awareness is generally a good thing. If we can make people aware, we can educate them on what to look for and how to hopefully be proactive in getting exams, etc.

That said, there's a lot of money to be made in the cancer charities...

At least one Komen issue: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/07/komen-foundation-charities-cure_n_793176.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:07:48 PM by jesmu84 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
I understand supporting cancer research and awareness.  One of the most difficult times in my life was when my grandfather died of colon cancer.  I understand how cancer effects families and the horrible ways it kills people.  But does anyone know why breast cancer seems to be more, for lack of a better word, valued than other cancers?  Why don't sports teams wear orange for ovarian cancer, green for lung cancer, blue for colon cancer?  Is there a reason why other cancers get ignored?  Is it strictly the marketing of breast cancer awareness groups? 

Before people jump down my throat about this, I donate to cancer research every year and it has effected my family.  But I am sick of pink in sports!!!

Interesting you bring this up, we were talking about this very thing today at lunch.  There are some cancers, so I'm told, that doctors believe have some pretty decent chances of some great treatments but because they are rare, they get far less "love" from researchers, etc  (conspiracy theorists will say drug companies due to $$$).

My assistant had breast cancer two years ago, she is in remission.  Another former colleague of mine I just learned the other day has stage 4 breast cancer which has spread to her bones.  She is on tamaxofin in sort of the last hope to see if something will work. Young woman, early 40's.  Tragic. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:25:33 PM »

I'm not going to look it up , but theorizing...I would be willing to bet breats cancer it is probably the most common - perhaps by a lot.  Assuming that's true, it is logical to me it would get the most attention. Prostate cancer, which also gets a lot of attention, maybe second?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 07:40:29 PM »
I'm not going to look it up , but theorizing...I would be willing to bet breats cancer it is probably the most common - perhaps by a lot.  Assuming that's true, it is logical to me it would get the most attention. Prostate cancer, which also gets a lot of attention, maybe second?

You'd think so. But not really. Lung is the most common cancer. Breast is around #2. The interesting thing about lung is that it's no where near as deadly as numerous other common types. I believe prostate is around #5-6.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 08:23:15 PM »
For chrissakes, MEN, let it rest.  If the uni's p!ss you off so much, don't watch the frickin' game!
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 08:57:34 PM »
For chrissakes, MEN, let it rest.  If the uni's p!ss you off so much, don't watch the frickin' game!

+1

Could it be so simple as that it's one of the most common cancers out there?

Let it go. Embrace the pink. It's for one day.

If nothing else, be on board because one of our players lost his mom to cancer, and he likes the jersey. Do you really need more than that?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »
One of things I learned at Marquette was at the florist shop across from Mashuda before Valentine's Day: colors of roses mean different things. Never knew that.

Fast forward almost 15 years later and I've noticed different colored ribbons on cars, each signifying a cancer.

And just like every rose is not red, every anti-cancer ribbon is not pink.

Here's a list...but the awarenesses are organized by color: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awareness_ribbons
SS Marquette

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 10:00:24 PM »

Agreed.  It's a 3rd rail issue, though.  It'll never change, and will continue for the rest of time.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 10:24:37 PM »
For chrissakes, MEN, let it rest.  If the uni's p!ss you off so much, don't watch the frickin' game!

Jeez. Far be it from people to have an opinion or try to get educated on a topic. F them right?

I'm fairly certain this topic was started separate from the others because it had nothing to do with being pissed off about the uniforms.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 10:39:41 PM »
I stand corrected, sir.  Just frustrated over the veniality expressed in other threads on the uniform color.  Sorry.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 10:46:40 PM »
Imma re-appropriate this thread

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 03:37:03 AM »

Death on call

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 07:12:35 AM »
You'd think so. But not really. Lung is the most common cancer. Breast is around #2. The interesting thing about lung is that it's no where near as deadly as numerous other common types. I believe prostate is around #5-6.

1. skin cancers
2. prostate
3. breast

I must be on some people's ignore.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 08:04:33 AM »
Some stats:

Percentage of patients deceased within five years after diagnosis:

Pancreatic cancer – 94%
Liver cancer – 83.9%
Esophageal cancer – 82.7%
Lung cancer – 83.4%
Stomach cancer – 72.3%
Brain cancer – 66.5%
Ovarian cancer – 55.8%
Oral cancer – 37.8%
Kidney cancer – 28.2%
Rectal cancer – 33.5%
Colon cancer – 35.1%
Laryngeal cancer – 39.4%
Cervical cancer – 32.1%
Prostate cancer – 0.8%
Breast cancer – 10.8%
Bladder cancer – 22.1%
Skin cancer – 8.7%
Uterine cancer – 18.5%
Thyroid cancer – 2.3%
Bone cancer – 33.6%
Leukemia – 44%

Statistics from the period between 2003 and 2009

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 08:23:58 AM »
1. skin cancers
2. prostate
3. breast

I must be on some people's ignore.

You may be going off diagnosis. I was going off mortality.

For men: http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/data/men.htm

For women: http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/data/women.htm

Lung cancer stats: http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/resources/features/LungCancer/

The one limitation of these sites, however, is for deaths, they show the # of deaths per 100K people, not deaths per diagnosis - which I think would change the mortality rates by cancer type.

Edit: Please note these statistics are only for US cancer diagnosis/deaths. I think globally it would shift a bit.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:25:50 AM by jesmu84 »

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 08:45:41 AM »
Maybe they should just make all types of cancer, the color pink.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »

and that's a wrap, folks.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:17:28 PM by ZiggysFryBoy »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 09:13:27 AM »
In addition to strong marketing, the reason that pink is used the most often is sports is because no teams have pink as a standard uniform color. Therefore, it stands out. If you turn on a game and a team is wearing pink, you know it's for breast cancer awareness. If you turn on a game and a Villanova is playing some team wearing orange or brown or purple uniforms, you'd wonder who they were playing or why Marquette was wearing an odd color. Yes, part of that can be attributed to pink being so prevalent in sports, but another part is because it stands out.

Having lost two grandparents, a cousin and a grandmother-in-law to various types of cancer, it would be nice to see a standard color for general cancer awareness. That said, I have no problem whatsoever with pink being worn by teams at any time and I actually feel like pink is becoming more of that standard color.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 10:00:37 AM »
I'll be wearing my pink polo button down.  Oddly, I get a lot of compliments from older ladies when I am wearing that shirt.  And I mean a lot of complimets, just randomly thrown out there.  Kind of odd.  It's also a very comfortable shirt.

I may wear a scarf with it as well, in the BC, just for the scoopers who hate scarfs!   :D

I do realize that I risk being beat up by some homophobs in downtown Milwaukee, with a pink shirt and scarf on, but hopefully my wife can defend me  ;)  Or, I may get beat up by some scoopers who are anti-pink breast cancer awareness...

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23092436&cp=1760781.2498319&ab=ln_men_cs1_casualshirts&parentPage=family
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:03:13 AM by GOO »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 10:49:15 AM »
I'll be wearing my pink polo button down.  Oddly, I get a lot of compliments from older ladies when I am wearing that shirt.  And I mean a lot of complimets, just randomly thrown out there.  

GOO

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 12:45:28 PM »
Well, I never took the compliments in that way... thank God!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »
The idea that we need more pink events to "raise breast cancer awareness" is silly. It's everywhere and has become a part of pop culture.

The focus on breast cancer hurts work on other cancers and diseases.  It's overdone, but it's popular. Plus, other cancers can be more difficult to talk about for some.

Imagine interviewing the common man/woman on the street.. and asking "what is cancer?".. wha responses would you expect to hear? There's gotta be some groups that have done this before?.. would be enlightening.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 10:35:27 PM »
Navin....giving Keefe a run for his money!

SHEESH!....I want my eyes back!
SS Marquette

feedback