Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: D Wilson. Praise and what?  (Read 11979 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: D Wilson. Praise and what?
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2014, 11:10:52 AM »

Butler made an adjustment in the 2nd half to not guard Derrick Wilson anymore, and the announcers mentioned that they needed to make this adjustment as well.  Once they did this, we could not get entry passes into to our big men and our offense stalled.  Cadougan was not a good shooter, but he would at least take the shot if left unguarded.  I'd rather see D. Wilson at least attempt some of these shots and miss then let the defense sag that badly on him.  They're playing defense on the perimeter with him like it was O'tule with the ball. 

It's not all on Wilson. To some extent, the D sags off of everyone except for Jake (which is why Jake sees so many minutes). Players other than Jake are shooting 26.5% from 3 (50-189). Every opposing team's defensive gameplan is the same: Pack the lane and force MU to make shots from the outside. If MU hits some outside shots, it opens things up on the inside.

Look at the numbers...

In games when Gardner has scored 18+ points, MU has shot 42.3% from 3 (47-111) and is 5-2.

In games when Gardner has scored less than 18 points, MU has shot 21.4% from 3 (36-168) and is 5-6.

There's obviously a correlation there.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »

Butler made an adjustment in the 2nd half to not guard Derrick Wilson anymore, and the announcers mentioned that they needed to make this adjustment as well.  Once they did this, we could not get entry passes into to our big men and our offense stalled.  Cadougan was not a good shooter, but he would at least take the shot if left unguarded.  I'd rather see D. Wilson at least attempt some of these shots and miss then let the defense sag that badly on him.  They're playing defense on the perimeter with him like it was O'tule with the ball. 
This is at least the third time this "adjustment" that Butler made has come up.

I posted earlier asking what adjustments Buzz made to counter.  Nobody has replied, making me wonder if in fact he made any adjustments at all.  I was unable to watch the game so I have no idea. 

It sounds like he didn't change personnel.  Did they start running anything differently on the offensive end?  Did he take any timeouts to talk it through with the team?  Did he do nothing as the game slowly tightened up and our offense completely stagnated? 

Honestly, you all can skewer Derrick all you want, but if the staff isn't reacting to changes the other team makes that change the momentum of the game, it's not all on Derrick.  He's running the team as the coaches want him to.

I do find it funny that the team was up 12 in the second half with Derrick playing the entire game, Gardner having a good game (wait, I thought that wasn't possible with Derrick on the floor at the same time) and things going pretty well.  Suddenly, Butler makes some magical adjustment and it's all Derrick's fault that the game is lost.  Par for the course this year, but it seems that there are several larger issues to me.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2014, 12:04:50 PM »

I posted earlier asking what adjustments Buzz made to counter.  Nobody has replied, making me wonder if in fact he made any adjustments at all.  I was unable to watch the game so I have no idea. 

It sounds like he didn't change personnel.  Did they start running anything differently on the offensive end?  Did he take any timeouts to talk it through with the team?  Did he do nothing as the game slowly tightened up and our offense completely stagnated? 

Honestly, you all can skewer Derrick all you want, but if the staff isn't reacting to changes the other team makes that change the momentum of the game, it's not all on Derrick.  He's running the team as the coaches want him to.

I do find it funny that the team was up 12 in the second half with Derrick playing the entire game, Gardner having a good game (wait, I thought that wasn't possible with Derrick on the floor at the same time) and things going pretty well.  Suddenly, Butler makes some magical adjustment and it's all Derrick's fault that the game is lost.  Par for the course this year, but it seems that there are several larger issues to me.

And what do you see these "larger issues" being for this year's basketball team - if it isn't PG play and shooting guard play (Derrick and Jake getting the most minutes on the team?).

Do you really feel Jamil and Davante got worse in the off season as players?  What's changed is the cast around them.  Our starting backcourt and leading minute getters have the worst Net Efficiency Ratings of any of our players!!

Teams simply say, we can absolutely live with Derrick Wilson beating us, will give him ample good looks, but no way in hell are we going to let Davante Gardner or Jamil Wilson beat us.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brandx

« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2014, 12:16:33 PM »
Both ends my friend.  Basketball is played on both ends.  Derrick held Butler's leading scorer down for about 3/4 of that game.

Too bad that Dawson couldn't step up to provide adequate back up minutes as he had in previous games.

So he held him down until the game was on the line? Isn't that when your 'defensive stopper' should actually be the stopper?

This year is just one of those years that isn't working - all teams have them. the personal isn't meshing. The senior frontcourt has been terrible, and the shooting guard isn't a very good shooter and has no creative ability. But DW is still the biggest problem. A good PG will play to the other players abilities. Derrick is unable to do this.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2014, 12:23:16 PM »

The fact of the matter is that Marquette shot 5-27 in the second half. Gardner was 1-8, Jamil 2-7, Jake 0-4 and Mayo 0-3. Believe me, those guys had plenty of open looks so it wasn't really a matter of "adjustments." MU outrebounded Butler by 7 and made 5 more FTs in second half but the difference was that Butler made some shots (including 3 3's) while MU shot under 20% and missed all 10 of their 3s. That's what happened in the second half. There are only so many "adjustments" that a coach can make when his team can't put the ball in the basket.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2014, 12:27:41 PM »
The fact of the matter is that Marquette shot 5-27 in the second half. Gardner was 1-8, Jamil 2-7, Jake 0-4 and Mayo 0-3. Believe me, those guys had plenty of open looks so it wasn't really a matter of "adjustments." MU outrebounded Butler by 7 and made 5 more FTs in second half but the difference was that Butler made some shots (including 3 3's) while MU shot under 20% and missed all 10 of their 3s. That's what happened in the second half. There are only so many "adjustments" that a coach can make when his team can't put the ball in the basket.

Good post - kind of begs the question:  Why in the hell did Buzz not put Burton in the game in the second half??!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2014, 12:28:01 PM »

Haven't you received the memo?  Other guys missing open shots is Derrick's fault.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2014, 12:37:37 PM »
Good post - kind of begs the question:  Why in the hell did Buzz not put Burton in the game in the second half??!

That's a legitimate question and one I wondered myself. My best guess would be that Buzz liked the way the D was playing in the second half and didn't want a defensive liability giving Butler an easy bucket or two in a game where points were hard to come by. For the last couple of weeks, I've been expecting Buzz to start doing an offense/defense switch with Burton and possibly Juan (like he's done with Gardner/Otule in the past) but it has yet to happen. Saturday seemed like it would have been a golden opportunity to try it.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2014, 12:39:30 PM »
It's not all on Wilson. To some extent, the D sags off of everyone except for Jake (which is why Jake sees so many minutes). Players other than Jake are shooting 26.5% from 3 (50-189). Every opposing team's defensive gameplan is the same: Pack the lane and force MU to make shots from the outside. If MU hits some outside shots, it opens things up on the inside.

Look at the numbers...

In games when Gardner has scored 18+ points, MU has shot 42.3% from 3 (47-111) and is 5-2.

In games when Gardner has scored less than 18 points, MU has shot 21.4% from 3 (36-168) and is 5-6.

There's obviously a correlation there.

Good point.

Here's where Buzz needs to answer this question: If Paint Touches are key, then why are you allowing your players to shoot the ball instead of getting paint touches?
SS Marquette

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2014, 12:46:11 PM »

But like Doc, I didn't watch the second half yesterday. At halftime I met up with colleagues and talked shop and Seahawks then met a lovely woman for dinner. Hell, I even ignored my Fighter Doc and had a glass of wine last night. A 2009 Bethel Heights Willamette Pinot Noir. I am glad I missed Marquette's collapse because it would have spoiled an otherwise great day.

2009?  Meh.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »

Good point.

Here's where Buzz needs to answer this question: If Paint Touches are key, then why are you allowing your players to shoot the ball instead of getting paint touches?

1) Paint touches are tougher to come by because teams are clogging the lane.

2) Paint touches aren't necessarily shots from in the paint. The concept is designed to get players to move the ball, get it into the post and to drive and kick/dish. In other words, play less one-on-one. Open looks from the outside come as a result of paint touches.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2014, 12:55:26 PM »
1) Paint touches are tougher to come by because teams are clogging the lane.

2) Paint touches aren't necessarily shots from in the paint. The concept is designed to get players to move the ball, get it into the post and to drive and kick/dish. In other words, play less one-on-one. Open looks from the outside come as a result of paint touches.

I know.

And this all points to the Derrick's inability to shoot/score the rock (your #1) and drive to pass off to a consistent shooter or even display the understanding and vision to do so (#2).
SS Marquette

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2014, 01:01:40 PM »
Maybe for the best thing would be for Derrick to have the flu tonight and missed the whole game. I think that would shut people up about playing other people instead of Derrick. Yes, in prior years we had better point guards, but there are no other better options on this team. Derrick missing an entire game would show that.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2014, 01:05:43 PM »
Maybe for the best thing would be for Derrick to have the flu tonight and missed the whole game. I think that would shut people up about playing other people instead of Derrick. Yes, in prior years we had better point guards, but there are no other better options on this team. Derrick missing an entire game would show that.

If this happened we would win the game and he would never start another game for Marquette  ;D

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »

I know.

And this all points to the Derrick's inability to shoot/score the rock (your #1) and drive to pass off to a consistent shooter or even display the understanding and vision to do so (#2).

I guess I don't understand your question then.

Is there a consistent shooter on the roster to pass to? Read my post from 11:10am. It's far from being solely on Derrick.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2014, 01:32:38 PM »
And what do you see these "larger issues" being for this year's basketball team - if it isn't PG play and shooting guard play (Derrick and Jake getting the most minutes on the team?).

Do you really feel Jamil and Davante got worse in the off season as players?  What's changed is the cast around them.  Our starting backcourt and leading minute getters have the worst Net Efficiency Ratings of any of our players!!

Teams simply say, we can absolutely live with Derrick Wilson beating us, will give him ample good looks, but no way in hell are we going to let Davante Gardner or Jamil Wilson beat us.
Answer this question for me.  How did MU build a 12 point lead in the 2nd half on the road in a tough (historically at least) place to play?  How did this possibly happen when the least efficient player on the team played every single minute of the game to that point?  How did Davante have a good game going up to that point when according to everyone here Derrick is the cause of Gardner's funk this year? 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2014, 01:35:05 PM »
Thank you for this post.  Pretty much proves it was all Derrick's fault, as I suspected.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2014, 02:08:29 PM »
So he held him down until the game was on the line? Isn't that when your 'defensive stopper' should actually be the stopper?

Exactly.

"She is a very chaste young lady. She maintained her virginity until her Senior Prom..."

Death on call

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2014, 02:20:43 PM »
Thank you for this post.  Pretty much proves it was all Derrick's fault, as I suspected.

What does it prove?  The point people are making is that because Derrick is unguarded, that makes the shots the other players get tougher.  Just because somebody says we had a lot of good looks doesn't mean we actually had a lot of good looks.  I can only remember two of Jake's second half 3 point attempts, the two that were on one possession with guys draped all over him.  A lot of Gardner's misses were 18 foot jump shots because we can't get the ball inside to him.  I do seem to remember Jamil missing a lot of mid-range jumpers he often hits and Mayo missing some open 3s, but it's not like we were just missing a series of uncontested lay-ups and no-footers.

It's not all Derrick, of course.  But nobody on this team creates good opportunities for others, and that is usually the job of the PG. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »
What does it prove?  The point people are making is that because Derrick is unguarded, that makes the shots the other players get tougher.  Just because somebody says we had a lot of good looks doesn't mean we actually had a lot of good looks.  I can only remember two of Jake's second half 3 point attempts, the two that were on one possession with guys draped all over him.  A lot of Gardner's misses were 18 foot jump shots because we can't get the ball inside to him.  I do seem to remember Jamil missing a lot of mid-range jumpers he often hits and Mayo missing some open 3s, but it's not like we were just missing a series of uncontested lay-ups and no-footers.

It's not all Derrick, of course.  But nobody on this team creates good opportunities for others, and that is usually the job of the PG. 
It doesn't prove anything...other than we got cold and that <by your own admission> our best players missed a number of open shots they often make. 

Was Derrick being guarded while we built our 12 point lead?  If not, how did we manage to do that?  Was Butler not playing defense?  Were we maybe making some shots instead of shooting 18.5%?

The fact of the matter is that this team can play well with Derrick at PG.  The fact that they often do not says some things about Derrick...but it also says a lot of things about the other guys on the team. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2014, 03:12:22 PM »
2009?  Meh.

2009 for the Willamette Valley was excellent. Just my opinion but the world's best pinot is now coming out of Oregon. If Pinot Noir is your thing you must check out the Intl Pinot Noir Celebration in McMinville, OR. It's an annual June event that attracts Pinot vintners from around the world. It is built around sampling, education, and eating. An exquisite event.

http://www.ipnc.org/

Death on call

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2014, 03:19:53 PM »
Answer this question for me.  How did MU build a 12 point lead in the 2nd half on the road in a tough (historically at least) place to play?  How did this possibly happen when the least efficient player on the team played every single minute of the game to that point?  How did Davante have a good game going up to that point when according to everyone here Derrick is the cause of Gardner's funk this year? 

Happy to oblige you, and look forward to hearing what you feel are this team's "larger issues," outside the realm of PG play.

What changed in the second half compared to first?  Butler took away Gardner completely, and played even further off of Derrick in the 2nd half, and Derrick played more tentatively in the 2nd half.  Gardner was killing Butler in the first half, and they took him away.  Derrick scored 6 of his points to my recollection off of secondary break action in the first half, with Otule and Gardner sealing their defender and creating a good driving lane for Derrick to get to the bucket.  Derrick was far more aggressive in transition this past game than before - Derrick forced action far more than he had all season in the first half - yet, he had some turnovers as a result, a few passes intercepted as he tried to push the ball upcourt off of missed shots - and then Derrick reverted back to super conservative, robotic Derrick.  That's what changed.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
Happy to oblige you, and look forward to hearing what you feel are this team's "larger issues," outside the realm of PG play.

What changed in the second half compared to first?  Butler took away Gardner completely, and played even further off of Derrick in the 2nd half, and Derrick played more tentatively in the 2nd half.  Gardner was killing Butler in the first half, and they took him away.  Derrick scored 6 of his points to my recollection off of secondary break action in the first half, with Otule and Gardner sealing their defender and creating a good driving lane for Derrick to get to the bucket.  Derrick was far more aggressive in transition this past game than before - Derrick forced action far more than he had all season in the first half - yet, he had some turnovers as a result, a few passes intercepted as he tried to push the ball upcourt off of missed shots - and then Derrick reverted back to super conservative, robotic Derrick.  That's what changed.

The numbers say otherwise.

Derrick Wilson vs Butler
1st Half: 3-7, 0-1 on 3s, 6 pts, 2 assists, 1 TO
2nd Half: 2-5, 1-2 FTs, 5 pts, 1 assist, 3 TO

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2014, 03:46:14 PM »
The numbers say otherwise.

Derrick Wilson vs Butler
1st Half: 3-7, 0-1 on 3s, 6 pts, 2 assists, 1 TO
2nd Half: 2-5, 1-2 FTs, 5 pts, 1 assist, 3 TO

Derrick traveled a couple of times in the second half, FYI.  Why do you think Derrick all of a sudden turned it over 5 times in a game??  Because for once he tried to play an aggressive brand of basketball...played faster than his comfort zone...which led to travels, intercepted passes, etc., but it did create some scoring opportunities for him in the first half, and others.

But, since ATL can't seem to answer the question as to what this team's bigger issues are beyond PG play, and since you want to defend him and all his Pro-Derrick arguments - what is your take on why this team is struggling this year?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2014, 04:17:39 PM »
Ok

1) The roster is constructed almost entirely of one-dimensional players, including PG.  Guys that are pretty darn good at one thing and not very good at anything else.  Examples (not in any particular order):
- Gardner - Great post up scorer with great hands.  Poor defender (especially help) and let's himself be taken out of the game mentally--if he's not scoring he let's it affect the rest of his game and is not helping the team in other ways (defense, rebounding, etc.).  

- Otule - Very good interior defender and willing to use his body to do the dirty work.  Has developed a nice little hook with both hands, but not a good scorer or rebounder.  

- Jake - Good shooter.  Smart positional defender.  Not much else.

- Juan - Hustle and has shown he can be a good rebounder.  Not much else.

- Derrick - Good defender and at taking care of the ball.  Can't shoot and doesn't do much to create opportunities for others which, of course, are huge problems.

2) The two guys (Mayo and Jamil) that are more complete/multi-dimensional players are inconsistent as hell.  Never know what you are going to get and can't really rely on them like you need to be able to.

3) Lack of leadership.  The seniors (particularly Jamil) need to be showing up every night.  They are not.

4) Lack of a go-to guy.  Down 1, who on this team is going to take the last shot?  Who do you want to take the last shot?  I have no idea...Todd?  Jamil?  They are just as/more likely to settle for a contested fall away three as they are to take it to the rack.

5) Lack of players that can create and get their own bucket.  Mayo has shown flashes but not yet consistent.  Who else has done this against a good team?  Deonte I guess?  

6) Injuries to expected contributors Steve and Duane.  Who knows if Duane would have been able to crack the rotation or not, but Steve was expected to be a big time contributor this year I would think.  

7) Nobody other than Jake can consistently hit a perimeter shot.  Nobody.

I am sure there are more.  The point being the struggles of this team are not all on Derrick like you want to believe.

Edited to add #7.  How the hell could I forget that...biggest problem we have.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:38:55 PM by ATL MU Warrior »