[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: James ranked best in Big East  (Read 7938 times)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
James ranked best in Big East
« on: October 23, 2007, 07:22:03 PM »
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/blog_entry/daily_dribble_top_30_big_east_players41179

rank James #1 over Hibbert, got this off the Georgetown message board, they are not happy.  However in my eyes McNeal is better than 10th, defense is looked past in these type of ratings.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Doctor V

• All American
Re: James ranked best in Big East
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 10:21:14 PM »
I just became a member here, but I have followed the site for a long time and I must say that my two biggest pet peeves is the lack of respect for crean and for james. I firmly believe that everything since the 70s shows that crean is the best for this program and has given MU its best yr since the Al era in '03, not to mention some of the other guys hes brought in here and making this program high profile again. His in game coaching ability may not be the strongest, but in all honesty thats not the most important thing in college bball-recruiting and controlling the program come first.

James gets complete disrespect around here. Everytime I here that james sucks or that MU my be better without him(all the time leading up to the draft) i cringe. you guys are dreaming. Also, james is clearly the best player on the team, even though he may not be the most popular. I do agree that he had a very poor year last year, and trust me at times i wanted to jump through the screen and shake him, but he survived a terrible season all around, shooting decision making, leadership even. Many bball fans have a sort of amnesia where everything becomes a what have u done for me lately- give the kid a shot here all u have to do is think back 2 yrs ago to see that he clearly is the best player here and needs to have another freshman type season for this team to be a national contender. Plain and simple. Its well known that in college bball you need a superstar to be able to be a great team, and hes the only shot we have(not saying we dont have talent, because we have a lot of that). In '03 MU had a superstar and some exceptional role players. In '07 MU needs a superstar, obviously not as good as Wade but on a smaller scale, to go along with its better than exceptional role players. In other words, we need DJ and I think he will show up and then everyone will be biting their tongue. The best was the mo acker running the point will make MU better- he may be a great pg but hes not a game changer, he is a roll player.

Also, the opinion of many people that u need better than average bigs to win is not necessarily true if you ask me, even though its a more than legit claim. I just think that with an average frontline offensively you can still win a national championship, as long as the defese and rebounding do not struggle too much. That said, you need shooting from your guards, which to me is a bigger concern this year than down low play. Again i go back to the '03 year and see that even tough r jax ended up being a quiet great player on the year, merritt and todd towsend, gotta love the guy, were the other 2 'big men.' with matthews/fitz, lazar/mbakwe, ooze i think we are not too shabby down low.

Finally, some call it arguing while others call it discussion. I see it as a sort of unity- I saw a final 4 the first year I was here and I called a final four in '07 a few years ago after watching the 3 play a month of ball. Heres to the hope of a great year. Lets go Marquette

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:29:31 PM »
DJ is not the best player on the team. Couldn't get further than that.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 10:34:05 PM »
I would definitely say he is the best player on this team, without a doubt.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:09:35 PM »
Don't know about DJ's ranking, but come March Wes Matthews will be regarded as better than "next in line" in the BE.
Ludum habemus.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 11:11:58 PM »
ptm - thats fine if thats your opinion, even though I think your personal dislike of him, or his game, makes you say that. I may be mistaken, but I believe NBA scouts, college basketball and All BE voters, as well as stats alone say that he is, even though IMO that all means nothing. The reason I know he is the best is from seeing him play and take over games, more so 2 yrs ago than last, and I dont see anyone else on that team doing that consistently over a season. sure on any given night jerel, matthews, hayward, ooze, or anyone can take over, but not the way james can and has in the past. With that responsibility comes being disliked if things dont go your way, which we have seen. Also, jerel is clearly the best defender on the team, but his inability to finish consistently and take over games along with his dameon mason like erratic turnover proneness make him not as complete offensively. Matthews has shown the ability to take over offensively along with solid range, defensive ability, and bball IQ, but I have not seen enough from him yet, hopefully a breakout season is ahead.

You cant come out and say that james being the best on this team without saying who you think is.

I will say that I clearly think james is the best, and he needs to be the best for this team to be great. If and when that happens he will get the respect he deserves

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 11:14:44 PM »
I love the fact that we don't know who the best player is....shows how balanced we are.  Some nights it will be DJ, some Wes, some Jerel and you might even see some nights of Barro or Hayward.  Shut down 1 guy and someone else steps up.

Works for me.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:19:36 PM »
Agreed with Chico's. There is no best on the team. Giving it to DJ because NBA scouts, and ESPN likes him so much tells you nothing. He is freakishly athletic, he is a head turner.

If Wes never had his injury, we'd be talking a lot more about him than DJ.

The best player on the team is the team.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:25:18 PM »

Come on now!  I believe this year the phrase is "All For One And One For All".
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 11:28:54 PM by TallTitan34 »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 11:27:03 PM »

I believe this year the phrase is "All For One And One For All".

Eck! Reeks of French Musketeers.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 11:29:44 PM »
Ludum habemus.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 11:59:47 PM »
07-08  -  All For One, One For All
06-07  -  Tradition Never Graduates
05-06  -  Big Things Are Happening
04-05  -  Every Moment Counts

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 12:07:33 AM »
I guess when I started this post I wasnt being disrespectful to James, in fact I am a huge James fan, just saying I don't think hes the best player in the conference, in fact I think Scottie Reynolds is a better PG then James, however, he is a top 5 BE player, thats all.  I guess you must have misread what I posted.

And I think what pissed off a lot of people on this board about last year was how he sacrificed MU for going to the NBA, even though he did nothing for Marquette to advance them through the NCAA tournament.  I think a year of no NBA talk will have more people jumping on his bandwagon, for me, I never left.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 12:32:55 AM »
I guess when I started this post I wasnt being disrespectful to James, in fact I am a huge James fan, just saying I don't think hes the best player in the conference, in fact I think Scottie Reynolds is a better PG then James, however, he is a top 5 BE player, thats all.  I guess you must have misread what I posted.

And I think what pissed off a lot of people on this board about last year was how he sacrificed MU for going to the NBA, even though he did nothing for Marquette to advance them through the NCAA tournament.  I think a year of no NBA talk will have more people jumping on his bandwagon, for me, I never left.

I did not mean direct my post towards yours- I did not feel you were disrespecting DJ. It was just on overall assessment on the disrespect, or lack or respect, that i think he gets from most. I think reynolds is great, but after his first year everyone was saying the same things about james.

As for the NBA, i think it was foolish of james to give it a shot, because if im not mistaken he cant pullout, try it a second time, and come back again. I think he should have done the draft thing at the end of this year, after coming off of a better season(cant see it getting much worse) and still having the option to go back for his Sr. yr. Now he risks the chris thomas from ND danger, going from a for sure NBA prospect to oblivion, if he has another poor season. However, you cant be pissed at the kid for following his dream- well you can but it isnt very fair. atleast he came to MU and then decided to follow his dream. Shumpert decided to follow his NBA dream IMO by going to GT to be the stud and jump to the NBA after his first yr, which he certainly has the right, but Im not too sure if he considered what happens if he has a not so good season and ends up stuck on a not so good team for the next few yrs. Id rather have the DJ situation than the Iman one anyday.

Im glad you never left the bandwagon cause the kid may have been inconsistent as can be last year, but if he finds his 'fresh' form I agree that there will be many people back and, and I dont blame them cause if he does they will be rooting for a damn good team

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 08:19:21 AM »
His in game coaching ability may not be the strongest, but in all honesty thats not the most important thing in college bball-recruiting and controlling the program come first.

Hard to argue that our coach has certainly got control over the program, but some people around here would tell you that neither in-game coaching nor recruiting have been strengths.

I think Crean's greatest strength is preparation -- when given time.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 08:28:21 AM »
I guarantee Crean is already preparing for Duke and Wisconsin in practice...

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 08:30:26 AM »
His in game coaching ability may not be the strongest, but in all honesty thats not the most important thing in college bball-recruiting and controlling the program come first.

Hard to argue that our coach has certainly got control over the program, but some people around here would tell you that neither in-game coaching nor recruiting have been strengths.

I think Crean's greatest strength is preparation -- when given time.

I also think experience will help in all respects as well.

I know people will jump up and say "We shouldn't be paying 1.4mil for a coach who is learning on the job!"...

But, essentially, as Crean gains experience and continues to build the program, he should get better at everything. He's already pretty damn good at most things, and given time, he will continue to become more effective.

I know this isn't 1980-something anymore... but Coach K wasn't coach K right away. It takes some experience to become fully developed as a head coach.

I would say MU is still on the rise with Crean at the helm... Now, if MU goes through a sustained period with very little success... then the coach will have to be looked at more critically.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 08:44:13 AM »
So, an outside, independent entity names Dominic James the best player in the BE and we have people trashing him.   Astounding.   DJ is a tremendous talent who went through a sophomore slump without Novak to pitch the ball to and with thoughts of the NBA going through his head.   That's over now.     Say thank you for the accolades and move on.   Jeez.   It is true that we are blessed to  have three tremendous guards (with a couple of good reserves).  Why use an outside ranking as an excuse to criticize?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 11:22:28 AM »
So, an outside, independent entity names Dominic James the best player in the BE and we have people trashing him.   Astounding.   DJ is a tremendous talent who went through a sophomore slump without Novak to pitch the ball to and with thoughts of the NBA going through his head.   That's over now.     Say thank you for the accolades and move on.   Jeez.   It is true that we are blessed to  have three tremendous guards (with a couple of good reserves).  Why use an outside ranking as an excuse to criticize?

I NEVER CRITICIZED DJ... read fully, when I used this source, I was just stating that DJ is ranked 1 over a player like Roy Hibbert, is it correct, who knows, I guess we will see.  I love James as a player, I chanted "He's a Freshman" at the @ DePaul game in January of '06.  I stood by him throughout this year.  Watched him empty my wallet during the Duke game (made a bet with 2 friends, told them for every point MU beat Duke by, they would get a shot a point, well.. 11 shots for each of us later, I was broke, and heavily intoxicated).  The man is a tremendous talent, just can't see him being #1 in the Big East, is that fair?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 12:33:39 PM »

How do you know it's over? He still has NBA in his head. I will gladly stop criticizing him after he proves something this year. But for his performance last year, he has left a lot to be desired to be considered an elite BE player.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 01:03:55 PM »
I meant that this is a new season.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 03:50:53 PM »
pure talent? it has to be james. best player on the court? I'll say matthews. Most important player on this ENTIRE team? Jerel McNeal
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

feedback