'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by Viper
[Today at 07:44:25 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach K on COVID-19  (Read 9475 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Coach K on COVID-19
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2020, 08:31:13 AM »
Nate Oats off the top rope with the flying elbow to Coach K!

“Nate Oats on Coach K wanting to delay play due to COVID-19: “Let me ask you a question. Do you think Coach K would be saying that if he hadn’t lost those two non-conference games at home?”

Oats backed down shortly thereafter, and toed the line after talking with daddy.

Oats said he reached out to Krzyzewski immediately following the press conference. After a talk with the legendary coach, Oats's thoughts on the situation changed.

"It was unnecessary, it was wrong and I apologized to him," Oats said. "We had a good talk, I understand a lot more now where he's coming from. What's best for one program is not necessarily what's best for another program."

To end his apology on Saturday night, Oats finished up with a reminder that the ongoing coronavirus pandemic is something that everyone should continue to take seriously.

"I'm definitely wasn't trying to say 'COVID's not serious'," Oats said. "Some people might have taken that. I know the numbers aren't great right now. We need to take all the precautions we can."

Lots of folks here are Oats slurpers even though he has accomplished nothing at the P6 level. He might indeed be a wonderful coach, multiple times better than Wojo or K or Cal or Roy or Shaka, but he came out of this looking like a dope.

His knee-jerk reaction was to publicly go after a coaching icon, and then he backed down like an admonished little kid.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2020, 08:36:19 AM »
I think this is a very much a generational thing.

To an older lot, he is indeed a "coaching icon" to whom deference should be given.

To those younger, he is preachy and borderline dirty, and Oats was 100% right.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2020, 08:40:42 AM »
I think this is a very much a generational thing.

To an older lot, he is indeed a "coaching icon" to whom deference should be given.

To those younger, he is preachy and borderline dirty, and Oats was 100% right.

Honestly, my experience is that you have those reversed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2020, 08:42:38 AM »
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said generational.  It probably isn't limited to generation. 

I think it is more two camps of people.  People who like Coach K and people who think he's become a fraud.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2020, 09:30:43 AM »
I think Coach K out of principle should shut down Duke basketball for the season and stop blaming the NCAA administrators who work for his University and Conference.

He won’t though because his kids want to play and some need to play to market themselves.  He also likes the paycheck. 

This whole situation is terrible.  Right now everyone in every walk of life is walking a tightrope.  There are no blatantly obvious right answers.  People need to do their best to take precautions and try to live life during this time.  Many players will get Covid regardless if they are playing basketball or not. It is too prevalent.  In some ways it’s better they will not go home for Christmas and infect their families.  Just no right answers now.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2020, 11:46:14 AM »
I think Coach K out of principle should shut down Duke basketball for the season and stop blaming the NCAA administrators who work for his University and Conference.

He won’t though because his kids want to play and some need to play to market themselves.  He also likes the paycheck. 

This whole situation is terrible.  Right now everyone in every walk of life is walking a tightrope.  There are no blatantly obvious right answers.  People need to do their best to take precautions and try to live life during this time.  Many players will get Covid regardless if they are playing basketball or not. It is too prevalent.  In some ways it’s better they will not go home for Christmas and infect their families.  Just no right answers now.

We certainly shouldn't be saying, "Don't do typical family gatherings at Xmas," while also saying, "The college kids should be allowed to go home to be with their families."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2020, 12:37:37 PM »
For about two days, Nate Oats was my freaking hero for saying what pretty much everyone in the sports world was thinking about K’s statements on Covid and the CBB season.  And now he’s lost all those cool points he gained.  If anything, I think less of him than I did before.

As for him “immediately reaching out” to K, I’m sure he was not pressured at all into making that phone call.  And during the conversation between the two, K definitely did not make any threats or use foul language.  Just a nice, civilized conversation between two gentlemen.

feedback