[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jamail Jones denied an assist  (Read 2559 times)

T-Bone

• All American
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

LloydMooresLegs

Re: Jamail Jones denied an assist
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 12:25:23 PM »
It would seem so.  Helluva pass and "controlled tip.".

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 02:01:46 PM »
Don't understand how that didn't count. It was clearly in time. The refs went to the monitors. What am I missing?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »
Don't understand how that didn't count. It was clearly in time. The refs went to the monitors. What am I missing?

Hard and fast rule that 0.3 seconds or less cannot be anything but a tip. They ruled that he caught the ball, so no shot can be taken at that point.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 02:51:50 PM »
Rules are rules, but I'm still surprised Burr didn't make that call flailing his arms in the air and running around like a crazy old chicken. 
https://twitter.com/JimBurr
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 03:43:29 PM »
I'm surprised we haven't seen anyone do an analysis of how long that actually took for him to get off. Catching mid-air and a near-immediate release I can't imagine it took that long.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »
I'm surprised we haven't seen anyone do an analysis of how long that actually took for him to get off. Catching mid-air and a near-immediate release I can't imagine it took that long.

They did that. In the story that was linked to. They said it was .2 seconds, based on how many frames he held the ball.

"He holds the ball for six frames at 30fps, which is 0.2 seconds."

Should have counted.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 09:48:58 AM »
They did that. In the story that was linked to. They said it was .2 seconds, based on how many frames he held the ball.

Should have counted.

It was an amazing play, no doubt. However, it shouldn't have counted. By rule with 0.3 seconds or under, a player "can only score a field goal by means of a tap of the pass or of a missed free throw" (also in the linked article). He clearly didn't "tap" that pass. It stinks for FGCU but that's the rule. The refs don't have the ability to go frame-by-frame through a play and calculate the amount of time that he actually had the ball so the 0.3-second rule is in place.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 09:59:53 AM »
It was an amazing play, no doubt. However, it shouldn't have counted. By rule with 0.3 seconds or under, a player "can only score a field goal by means of a tap of the pass or of a missed free throw" (also in the linked article). He clearly didn't "tap" that pass. It stinks for FGCU but that's the rule. The refs don't have the ability to go frame-by-frame through a play and calculate the amount of time that he actually had the ball so the 0.3-second rule is in place.

Crappy rule as we now know it can be done in 0.2 in a perfect world.  Hope the NCAA looks at this during the off season.  I agree that the refs responded appropriately and were hamstrung by written regulation.  One helluva pass.

brandx

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »
I think they have done studies on this to show a ball cannot be caught and shot in under .3 seconds.

If you run the replay, it looks like the ball is out of his hands with .03 still on the clock. So, while the clock makes it look like the shot was released in time - it was actually the clock that didn't start on time. A human cannot physically catch a basketball and shoot it in less than 1/10 of a second. Period - hence the .03 second rule.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »
I think they have done studies on this to show a ball cannot be caught and shot in under .3 seconds.

If you run the replay, it looks like the ball is out of his hands with .03 still on the clock. So, while the clock makes it look like the shot was released in time - it was actually the clock that didn't start on time. A human cannot physically catch a basketball and shoot it in less than 1/10 of a second. Period - hence the .03 second rule.

Which is why I asked about an analysis. I get that the NCAA rules you can't do it in less than 0.3, but if he only had the ball in contact with his hands for 6 frames, clearly he was able to do it. Either they should change the rule for the future based on the evidence from this game, or maybe we need to acknowledge that Chase Fieler simply isn't human
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
Rules are rules, but I'm still surprised Burr didn't make that call flailing his arms in the air and running around like a crazy old chicken. 
https://twitter.com/JimBurr

Lest we forget...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/big-east-suspended-officials-tim-higgins-jim-burr-earl-walton-duties-sources-article-1.121381

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 02:40:03 PM »
Which is why I asked about an analysis. I get that the NCAA rules you can't do it in less than 0.3, but if he only had the ball in contact with his hands for 6 frames, clearly he was able to do it. Either they should change the rule for the future based on the evidence from this game, or maybe we need to acknowledge that Chase Fieler simply isn't human

Yeah, this one kinda falls into a gray area as it wasn't a straight catch and then shoot - he looks like he caught  and released it almost as in one motion rather than 2 separate steps.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 04:36:13 PM »

Read what I wrote 3 posts above yours

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 04:38:40 PM »
Read what I wrote 3 posts above yours

But you are wrong.  It clearly shouldn't have counted per the rules.  Here is the exact wording of the rule:

In any period, when the game clock displays 10ths of seconds and play
is to be resumed by a throw-in or a free throw when 3/10 (.3) of a second or less
remains on the game clock, a player may not gain possession of the ball and try
for a field goal. Such player can only score a field goal by means of a tap of the
pass or of a missed free throw

That was not "a tap of the pass."  The problem you have should be with the NCAA...not the refs.

brandx

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 05:21:07 PM »
Rule needs to be in place. Anyone handling the clock is physically unable to be exact when dealing with tenths of seconds.

On the replay, the ball is cleanly out of his hands with .03 left. So - he was able to catch and shoot in less than 1/10 of a second? Obviously physically impossible.

that is why the rule is in place.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 10:24:26 AM »
I agree it shouldn't have counted per the rule in place.

But the rule is idiotic. It was clearly demonstrated by an analysis of the video that the ball was held for .02 seconds. So the rule needs to be changed.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 10:25:47 AM »
Rule needs to be in place. Anyone handling the clock is physically unable to be exact when dealing with tenths of seconds.

On the replay, the ball is cleanly out of his hands with .03 left. So - he was able to catch and shoot in less than 1/10 of a second? Obviously physically impossible.

that is why the rule is in place.

The clock becomes irrelevant. All you need to do is look at the video to see if he was in contact with the ball for less than .03 seconds. He was. The rule should be removed.

brandx

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 12:30:08 PM »
The clock becomes irrelevant. All you need to do is look at the video to see if he was in contact with the ball for less than .03 seconds. He was. The rule should be removed.

Except you don't know that because the clock didn't start until after he caught and shot the ball.

I tend to believe that this was tested enough in studies that is impossible to catch AND shoot in .3 seconds or less.