[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Blue: Dumbest decision ever??  (Read 18637 times)

MUrugger

• Starter
MU Blue: Dumbest decision ever??
« on: December 21, 2013, 10:44:41 PM »
Fraschilla mentioned tonight how much MU needed Vander Blue and how much he needed them.  It was so obvious that he needed to come back for a senior year to have any chance of realizing the dreams that likely sprouted when he was about a H.S. sophomore.  He was never "there" but he was getting close.

Apparently Reggie Smith made some bad decisions, and I remember a decent Odartey Blankson being clueless, but has any MU player ever made a dumber decision than Blue did in leaving?

wadesworld

• All American
Re: MU Blue: Dumbest decision ever??
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »
Do you know what Blue's needs were?  I don't.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 10:50:01 PM »
Vander who?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 10:50:47 PM »
Vander's still paying ball, but now he's getting paid for it.  I doubt that whether you (or Fraschilla) would be happy with his decision ever entered into his decision making process.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 10:51:24 PM »
I have no idea what his needs were; feed his family, prove himself a baller, earn a degree??--I have no idea.

What I do know--from his own words--was that he dreamed to be an NBA basketball player.  He needed to stay in school and get better at his vocation if that was his dream.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 10:54:33 PM »
I wouldn't mind being 22, making a good wage and working in Israel.

jzpenguin

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 10:55:34 PM »
He's getting paid to play, so I can't begrudge his decision.  But no question it hurt the team big time.  He would have been the perfect bridge between this year's team and the freshman.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 10:56:53 PM »
I have no idea what his needs were; feed his family, prove himself a baller, earn a degree??--I have no idea.

What I do know--from his own words--was that he dreamed to be an NBA basketball player.  He needed to stay in school and get better at his vocation if that was his dream.

Oh, so this thread is all about how disappointed you are that Vander hasn't done better for himself professionally, and has nothing whatsoever to do with you being upset over a Marquette loss.  Weird timing, though.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 10:59:38 PM »
It was a huge loss but at this point posts like this are just sour grapes. Teams that make deep runs in the tourney lose good players to the draft. It was a dumb decision but why post this now and not 2 months ago?

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 11:21:19 PM »
Hey LittleMurs, let's not overstate my disappointment.  Maybe my timing could be better, but the comment was mostly prompted by the announcer bringing it up.  I've seen a lot of versions of MU hoops through the years and I just can't too heavily invested in this bunch, though the last several years have been quite enjoyable, with many of the same faces.  That's fine; I can wait.

Really though, I'm OK.  Not disappointed, not disturbed, not sour...just not as invested in this team as I tend to get in most MU squads.  Is there now a frequent posting requirement?

And I really thought in launching this post there would be a lot of dumb moves recalled over the last 40-50 years or so.  Instead I've heard from the Vander backers and young sages reminding me how important making money is.  My expectations were too high.   

Superfan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 11:23:33 PM »
Agreed it was a horrible decision for Vander and the team but it's time to move on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 11:24:59 PM »
If we want our program to be elite, or close to it ... elite programs lose great (or even very good) players early all the time. Some of them make excellent decisions, some don't. But it's just a fact of life near the top of the college heap. You bring in 5-star recruits, coach 'em up, let 'em develop. Some stay four years but many do not.

I don't think Vander made the greatest decision, but who the hell am I to know? He supposedly didn't like school and he obviously had somebody advising him who thought he'd get drafted, perhaps in the first round. Many, many, many folks on this board were convinced he'd be drafted.

But it's now ancient history. He ain't coming back. Deal with it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 11:38:36 PM »
Hey LittleMurs, let's not overstate my disappointment.  Maybe my timing could be better, but the comment was mostly prompted by the announcer bringing it up.  I've seen a lot of versions of MU hoops through the years and I just can't too heavily invested in this bunch, though the last several years have been quite enjoyable, with many of the same faces.  That's fine; I can wait.

Really though, I'm OK.  Not disappointed, not disturbed, not sour...just not as invested in this team as I tend to get in most MU squads.  Is there now a frequent posting requirement?

And I really thought in launching this post there would be a lot of dumb moves recalled over the last 40-50 years or so.  Instead I've heard from the Vander backers and young sages reminding me how important making money is.  My expectations were too high.   

There is no frequent posting requirement. 

Certainly, Vander leaving took an important contributor away from this team.  There is no way of taking from that that it was also a bad decision for Vander.  None of us knows how Vander sees that decision now, he could very well still be quite content with it.  Given that, I saw your thread title of "Dumbest decision ever??" as inviting an inane discussion which honestly I'm glad hasn't yet ensued.  I guess that we both have high expectations, just in different directions.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 11:39:56 PM »
I wouldn't mind being 22, making a good wage and working in Israel.

The Israeli Defense Force has a long, proud tradition of excellence. I trust Vander Blue sleeps comfortably beneath the blanket of security of its dedicated warriors. Mazel Tov!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:04:54 AM by keefe »

Death on call

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 07:17:25 AM »
The picture of the two chick soldiers kissing reminds one of what our military seems to be striving for. Hope Vander is sampling some of that!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 07:24:07 AM »

Yet you think it might be the "dumbest decision ever?"

Classless.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 07:41:28 AM »
It doesn't matter, but it was a dumb decision no matter what his needs were. Had he waited one more year, he would've had a much better opportunity to meet whatever needs he had.

Besides, I suspect it was about needs. It was about getting some piss poor advice.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 07:44:54 AM »
Fraschilla mentioned tonight how much MU needed Vander Blue and how much he needed them.  It was so obvious that he needed to come back for a senior year to have any chance of realizing the dreams that likely sprouted when he was about a H.S. sophomore.  He was never "there" but he was getting close.

Apparently Reggie Smith made some bad decisions, and I remember a decent Odartey Blankson being clueless, but has any MU player ever made a dumber decision than Blue did in leaving?

Don't be a douche and put the failures of Buzz and his 13-14 squad on Vander Blue. When you want a discussion of bad decisions and who needs who look no further then the players on this roster. They've done enough damage to themselves.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 08:33:17 AM »
It doesn't matter, but it was a dumb decision no matter what his needs were.

That sentence makes absolutely no sense.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 08:36:23 AM »

That sentence makes absolutely no sense.

Yes it does.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 08:39:22 AM »
Yes it does.

If you have no idea what his needs are, how can you call the decision "dumb."  If the guy didn't want to be in school, and wanted to get paid, he got his wish.

And how do you know that if he would have waited a year that he would have been in a better position? 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 08:58:50 AM »
Sultan

He obviously did not want to wait another year. Time to move on. I wish Vander nothing but the best in 2014.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 09:08:12 AM »
Sultan

He obviously did not want to wait another year. Time to move on. I wish Vander nothing but the best in 2014.
I miss Vander.  He was one of my favorite players, but you are correct. He is gone, time to move on. It was his decicision, so be it. Just because others selfishly don't like the decicision doesn't mean it was the wrong one for him.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »
Hairy

I am with you. Vander was my favorite player since DWade. Loved he bolted on Bucky and enjoyed watching him improve. Plus, he gave us some great moments last season.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 09:12:50 AM »
I know you are but what am I?

In all seriousness, it definitely hurt our team. Van had the potential to be an All-American type as a senior, and losing that will kill any team. I think it had to do with Van's expectations. He seemed to see himself as an early entrant player so he was going to go regardless of what people in the know we're telling him. As far as a good decision or not, if he's making over 6 figures with all the benefits (house/car paid for, etc) it may well have been a good decision for him. Some guys do just fine overseas. All comes down to if he's able to provide for who he needs to provide for and if he's happy. If the answers to that are yes, he made the right decision, no matter the impact on our team.

Either way, spilled milk now. Wish he was here, but we need to find answers with what's left.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 10:07:15 AM »

If you have no idea what his needs are, how can you call the decision "dumb."  If the guy didn't want to be in school, and wanted to get paid, he got his wish.

And how do you know that if he would have waited a year that he would have been in a better position? 
I don't know any of that. It's an opinion. But my sentence makes perfect sense.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
The Israeli Defense Force has a long, proud tradition of excellence. I trust Vander Blue sleeps comfortably beneath the blanket of security of its dedicated warriors. Mazel Tov!

Keefe, I still have these saved on my desktop from the last time you posted them.  No need to post them again... 
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 11:45:07 AM »
Context: Vander is making more money right now than anyone in his family has ever made. Before making such statements, answer this: where is Vander's father right now? Remember, Vander was last guy cut by the 76ers. Is Vander's decision dumb because of the way it impacts Marquette or the way it impacts Vander and his family?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 12:06:07 PM »
Context: Vander is making more money right now than anyone in his family has ever made. Before making such statements, answer this: where is Vander's father right now? Remember, Vander was last guy cut by the 76ers. Is Vander's decision dumb because of the way it impacts Marquette or the way it impacts Vander and his family?
The key phrase is right now.  His Israeli team plays 22 regular season games from October to March 9th.  In 6 months he will probably make $50,000 if that.  Not chump change but in the long run, is it worth it.  Obviously it is to him as he chases his NBA dream, so who are we to question him.

Performance-wise, he is off to a slow start.  In 7 games, he is averaging 25 MPG, 11.4 PPG, 3 RPG, and is 4-18 from three land ( 22%  ) and 18-30 from the line ( 60% ).

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 03:11:21 PM »
A day later and many of the board's self-appointed experts have weighed in.  Just as I had hoped.  And sure as sh*t, I've taken the obligatory personal attacks from the cyber-muscled guy who calls himself Sultan, Golden A (love the tasteful 'douche' reference) and the like, but again I go back to the guy who made the comment.
Assuming none of us are being paid as professionals at the top of their craft for the insights we offer here (of course I could be wrong about turban man--I mean Sultan), why the hell would a pro like Fran Fraschilla bring it up?  He knows it happened six months ago.  He knows whats going on with Vander now.  He even knows Vander for cryin' out loud.  If he didn't think it was topical, and an extraordinarily bad decision by an extremely talented player whose greatest ally at that time was more time, why would he launch that discussion in the midst of a national broadcast?

Because his strong preference would be for a young man in that position to not make the same bad decision that Vander did.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2013, 03:46:46 PM »
Keefe, I still have these saved on my desktop from the last time you posted them.  No need to post them again...  

Well, I just thought that since Scoopers were questioning why a 22 year old man would want to move to Israel and get paid to play basketball they might need a refresher on just how wonderful that Mediterranean gem is. The natives are friendly and I am confident Vander Blue shall find cordial hospitality in their supple bosom.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:55:06 PM by keefe »

Death on call

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »
Well, I just thought that since Scoopers were questioning why a 22 year old man would want to move to Israel and get paid to play basketball they might need a refresher on just how wonderful that Mediterranean gem is. The natives are friendly and I am confident Vander Blue shall find cordial hospitality in their supple bosom.
You can post them as many times as you like. Always enjoyable

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2013, 03:56:53 PM »
Wonder if I can enlist?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2013, 04:18:07 PM »
Recce Brief

IFF: Friend or Foe

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 05:57:21 PM »
A day later and many of the board's self-appointed experts have weighed in.  Just as I had hoped.  And sure as sh*t, I've taken the obligatory personal attacks from the cyber-muscled guy who calls himself Sultan, Golden A (love the tasteful 'douche' reference) and the like, but again I go back to the guy who made the comment.
Assuming none of us are being paid as professionals at the top of their craft for the insights we offer here (of course I could be wrong about turban man--I mean Sultan), why the hell would a pro like Fran Fraschilla bring it up?  He knows it happened six months ago.  He knows whats going on with Vander now.  He even knows Vander for cryin' out loud.  If he didn't think it was topical, and an extraordinarily bad decision by an extremely talented player whose greatest ally at that time was more time, why would he launch that discussion in the midst of a national broadcast?

Because his strong preference would be for a young man in that position to not make the same bad decision that Vander did.

Heh.  You simply were classless...and continue to be so.  It's OK.  It happens.

Looking back on it now...next year...next decade, Vander may feel he made a bad decision.  I don't know that.  You don't know that.  Frachilla doesn't know that either.  He might be perfectly happy playing in Israel now, earning some money, and perhaps working his way back to the NBA.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 08:17:28 PM »

Until you can tell me with 100% certainty why Blue left you can not judge his decision.  Maybe he was totally okay with not making the NBA and just making a paycheck.  In that regard he made the greatest decision ever.

You don't know what his actual reasoning was.  Neither do I.  Why is it so hard to let bygones be bygones and get over it?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »
Vander = Yesterday's News.

Next topic.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »
A day later and many of the board's self-appointed experts have weighed in.  Just as I had hoped.  And sure as sh*t, I've taken the obligatory personal attacks from the cyber-muscled guy who calls himself Sultan, Golden A (love the tasteful 'douche' reference) and the like, but again I go back to the guy who made the comment.
Assuming none of us are being paid as professionals at the top of their craft for the insights we offer here (of course I could be wrong about turban man--I mean Sultan), why the hell would a pro like Fran Fraschilla bring it up?  He knows it happened six months ago.  He knows whats going on with Vander now.  He even knows Vander for cryin' out loud.  If he didn't think it was topical, and an extraordinarily bad decision by an extremely talented player whose greatest ally at that time was more time, why would he launch that discussion in the midst of a national broadcast?

I think that it's important to remember that Fran Fraschilla is an ex-coach and can be expected to bring an ex-coach's perspective, and he probably likes Buzz and thinks that Buzz got blind-sided by the decision.

To Keefe
Thanks a lot.  Now my son want an Israeli Defense Force action figure for Christmas and I only have two shopping days left to find one.  He wants the shower towel accessory pack, too.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:44:23 AM by LittleMurs »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
Murray, shop the Internet for blowup dolls.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2013, 09:46:29 AM »
I don't think Vander liked school.

Therefore, the idea of going through another year to school for a chance to be drafted in the second round wasn't as attractive as leaving early for a chance to get drafted in the second round.

You have to view the decision through his eyes. Playing college hoops and going to class is HARD. If you don't love it, it's even harder.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 10:04:31 AM »
I don't think Vander liked school.

Therefore, the idea of going through another year to school for a chance to be drafted in the second round wasn't as attractive as leaving early for a chance to get drafted in the second round.

You have to view the decision through his eyes. Playing college hoops and going to class is HARD. If you don't love it, it's even harder.

Except that there was a good chance he would be a first round pick....he took the easy way out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2013, 10:07:10 AM »
Except that there was a good chance he would be a first round pick.

Really? This year's draft is considerably deeper than last year's. Vander would have had to improve at least as much between his junior and senior seasons as he did between his sophomore and junior seasons, and even then his peers would have been much more formidable.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2013, 10:09:31 AM »
Really? This year's draft is considerably deeper than last year's. Vander would have had to improve at least as much between his junior and senior seasons as he did between his sophomore and junior seasons, and even then his peers would have been much more formidable.

Draft Express had him as a first rounder after this year.  Assuming he continued to improve, he would likely be on a team right now that is 10-2 or 11-1, probably playing some of the point, etc.  Yes.  

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:25:54 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2013, 10:10:07 AM »
After seeing those pictures, I don't know how anyone can be against the 2nd amendment in this country.  God bless hot chicks that are armed.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »
Draft Express had him as a first rounder this year.  Assuming he continued to improve, he would likely be on a team right now that is 10-2 or 11-1, probably playing some of the point, etc.  Yes. 

Well, if Draft Express said so 12 months before the draft, it must be the case.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2013, 10:26:20 AM »
Well, if Draft Express said so 12 months before the draft, it must be the case.

We'll never know....but if posters here say he wouldn't be, it must also be the case.   Hmmm

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2013, 10:27:05 AM »
After seeing those pictures, I don't know how anyone can be against the 2nd amendment in this country.  God bless hot chicks that are armed.

Well, if you fell that strongly about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C917QJH9GNM

"Nothing comes between me and my AK."
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:30:40 AM by LittleMurs »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »

Not bad, but I prefer this one....she seems to handle a longer weapon with great dexterity

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sEGE4W70U-U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sEGE4W70U-U</a>

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2013, 10:41:36 AM »
We'll never know....but if posters here say he wouldn't be, it must also be the case.   Hmmm

If you want to state -- as a fact that everybody should accept -- that there was "a good chance" that he'd have been a first-rounder, you go right ahead.

Vander = Yesterday's News. I wish him well. Move on.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2013, 10:43:45 AM »

I never cited Scoop posters as evidence that there was a good chance he'd be a 1st Rounder.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2013, 12:12:14 PM »
I never cited Scoop posters as evidence that there was a good chance he'd be a 1st Rounder.

No, you didn't.  I did, however, cite a professional scouting service that predicted Vander would be a first rounder next year.   ;) 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2013, 12:14:40 PM »
If you want to state -- as a fact that everybody should accept -- that there was "a good chance" that he'd have been a first-rounder, you go right ahead.

Vander = Yesterday's News. I wish him well. Move on.

If it helps, I am happy to clarify more clearly.

According to Draft Express, a professional scouting service for the National Basketball Association, they believed there was a good chance he would have been a first rounder this year as they had him pegged there in their mock drafts.  Things can always change, but I was relying on their expertise.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2013, 12:20:49 PM »
No, you didn't.  I did, however, cite a professional scouting service that predicted Vander would be a first rounder next year.   ;)  

Care to pull up that source and we can see who else is on the list as potential 1st Round picks? Or better yet, pull up a mock draft from the end of the 2011-12 season and we can see who ended up being a 1st Rounder in the 2012 Draft. There are plenty of players who have been viewed as 1st Round picks in March of one year who don't end up being 1st Round picks by June the next year.

Draft Express' final 2013 Mock Draft missed on 20% of their 1st Round picks.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:25:31 PM by MerrittsMustache »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »
If it helps, I am happy to clarify more clearly.

According to Draft Express, a professional scouting service for the National Basketball Association, they believed there was a good chance he would have been a first rounder this year as they had him pegged there in their mock drafts.  Things can always change, but I was relying on their expertise.

It helps this discussion, so thanks.

Wouldn't help Vander get drafted, though!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2013, 01:16:51 PM »
Care to pull up that source and we can see who else is on the list as potential 1st Round picks? Or better yet, pull up a mock draft from the end of the 2011-12 season and we can see who ended up being a 1st Rounder in the 2012 Draft. There are plenty of players who have been viewed as 1st Round picks in March of one year who don't end up being 1st Round picks by June the next year.

Draft Express' final 2013 Mock Draft missed on 20% of their 1st Round picks.

Yup, it happens...very tough business.  Though compared to all other mock drafts, they were the best in their field.  Thus why the NBA hires them to scout.  Like I said, times change, players can get hurt, needs of a club can change, all of that was admitted....yet they put their public guess out there and in their belief, at that time, Vander was going to be a first round pick.  No one is going to argue with you that things can change, least of all them.  It was there professional estimation for something they do every day for many years and they are at the top of their field.   The weatherman gets it only right a certain amount of time, too, do you ignore the weatherman?  If your financial planner misses on a stock, does that mean he's wrong all the time?  Yup, people and organizations are wrong and aren't 100% right....got that one settled.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2013, 02:02:34 PM »
Yup, it happens...very tough business.  Though compared to all other mock drafts, they were the best in their field.  Thus why the NBA hires them to scout.  Like I said, times change, players can get hurt, needs of a club can change, all of that was admitted....yet they put their public guess out there and in their belief, at that time, Vander was going to be a first round pick.  No one is going to argue with you that things can change, least of all them.  It was there professional estimation for something they do every day for many years and they are at the top of their field.   The weatherman gets it only right a certain amount of time, too, do you ignore the weatherman?  If your financial planner misses on a stock, does that mean he's wrong all the time?  Yup, people and organizations are wrong and aren't 100% right....got that one settled.

I never said it was an exact science nor did I say that they were wrong all the time. We both know that, but, as is your MO, you chose to pretend that's what I said.

I was pointing out that they were only 80% correct on their 1st Round predictions right before the draft. If they mocked up a draft a year-out, I'm sure they were even less accurate, which means I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into that prediction. Similarly, I wouldn't put much stock into the weatherman's prediction if he gave the forecast for Christmas Day in early January.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2013, 02:18:06 PM »
I think that it's important to remember that Fran Fraschilla is an ex-coach and can be expected to bring an ex-coach's perspective, and he probably likes Buzz and thinks that Buzz got blind-sided by the decision.

To Keefe
Thanks a lot.  Now my son want an Israeli Defense Force action figure for Christmas and I only have two shopping days left to find one.  He wants the shower towel accessory pack, too.

Well, the good news is you know what path the boy is headed down. In addition to the Combat Shower Towel and Vibrating Back Scrubber Accessory Pack I would highly recommend you outfit your IDF Warrior with the Camo Thong and Corset package with matching Web Garter Belt and Nipple Tassels. An IDF Warrior deserves nothing less.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2013, 03:48:49 PM »
I never said it was an exact science nor did I say that they were wrong all the time. We both know that, but, as is your MO, you chose to pretend that's what I said.

I was pointing out that they were only 80% correct on their 1st Round predictions right before the draft. If they mocked up a draft a year-out, I'm sure they were even less accurate, which means I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into that prediction. Similarly, I wouldn't put much stock into the weatherman's prediction if he gave the forecast for Christmas Day in early January.

All fair points. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2013, 04:01:33 PM »
The key phrase is right now.  His Israeli team plays 22 regular season games from October to March 9th.  In 6 months he will probably make $50,000 if that.  Not chump change but in the long run, is it worth it.  Obviously it is to him as he chases his NBA dream, so who are we to question him.

Performance-wise, he is off to a slow start.  In 7 games, he is averaging 25 MPG, 11.4 PPG, 3 RPG, and is 4-18 from three land ( 22%  ) and 18-30 from the line ( 60% ).

I would argue he makes far less than that.  NBDL players get 24k/year.  Most rookies overseas get as little as possible.  I would guess 20k to35k/year.  Or, most of the engineering and AIM kids are getting more right out of school.

He's playing on one of the worst teams in Isreal.  He's not among the league leaders in any category.  Buycks played in France in a league that was has sent players to the NBA and he was MVP.

Unless Vander turns it on in the next few months, the degree he put on hold would be more valuable than his basketball career.  Right now he's buried in Israel with little chance to jump to a top Italian or French League let alone the NBA.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 04:03:08 PM by Heisenberg »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2013, 11:29:19 PM »

If it tastes better, I can call you a first class douche.

The reason Fran brought it up, and the only reason, is because MU is struggling. If the Warriors are 10-2 instead of 7-5, he would never talk about it other then in the context of what a great job Buzz has done in filling the void left by Vander (and Lockett.......to a much lesser extent Cadougan as well) with returnees and Freshmen.

It's catnip for a lazy analyst/journalist. Team struggles? Blame the early entrant, not the coaches who had six months to gameplan around it. Team wins big? Praise the coaches with only a passing reference to talent lost to early entry. Been going on for years if you've paid attention.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2013, 12:07:09 AM »
If it tastes better, I can call you a first class douche.

The reason Fran brought it up, and the only reason, is because MU is struggling. If the Warriors are 10-2 instead of 7-5, he would never talk about it other then in the context of what a great job Buzz has done in filling the void left by Vander (and Lockett.......to a much lesser extent Cadougan as well) with returnees and Freshmen.

It's catnip for a lazy analyst/journalist. Team struggles? Blame the early entrant, not the coaches who had six months to gameplan around it. Team wins big? Praise the coaches with only a passing reference to talent lost to early entry. Been going on for years if you've paid attention.

The reason Fran Fraschilla brought it up is because it left a huge hole in the Marquette team construct. Planning is fine but you need the airframes to drop the bombs. I am certain Hitler's Oberkommando der Wehrmacht General Staff planned Barbarossa meticulously but it failed due to a lack of fire power. Fraschilla mentioned Vander Blue's departure because it is hugely relevant with the current struggles. Fraschilla is not a "lazy journalist." He knows far more about basketball than everyone here combined.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2013, 12:34:29 AM »

I love the gal firing the Baretta. What they edited out was how it kept jamming from the way she was firing it.

For my money, the M-4A1 SOPMOD Block II is still the finest assault rifle in the world today. The FN SCAR Mk 13/17 was being introduced in my waning days so I stuck with the M-4 while the younger AFSOC guys began adopting the Mk 13. I know the advantages of the FN weapon but the M-4 is still a superb rifle. I slept more nights with it than I did my wife in some years.

Death on call

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »
Fraschilla mentioned Vander Blue's departure because it is hugely relevant with the current struggles. Fraschilla is not a "lazy journalist." He knows far more about basketball than everyone here combined.

Merry Christmas to all!! And Amen to the sanity above regarding FF's bball chops vs. any multiple of the gurus offering their infinite wisdom on Scoop.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 02:58:50 PM by MUrugger »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2013, 05:18:20 AM »
Unfortunately Vander is now in Israel proving what everyone but him seemed to know already... that he needs another year of college to learn how to shoot.  I feel badly for him.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »
Unfortunately Vander is now in Israel proving what everyone but him seemed to know already... that he needs another year of college to learn how to shoot.  I feel badly for him.

What he needed to learn how to do was play the point, because that's his only chance in the NBA.

Returning to MU might have helped in that regard ... or it might not have. Most PGs become PGs very early in their basketball careers -- I'm talking when they are 6, 7, 8 years old -- and grow from there. It's difficult to force-feed PG skills to a non-PG.

It's why I (among others) didn't think he had much of a chance at the NBA from Day 1. (And it's why Buycks at least is getting a cup of coffee, because he already had those skills.)

I don't feel even a little badly for him, though. He's a grown-up and he made a grown-up decision. I feel badly for little kids who are starving around the world, not for pro basketball players.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2013, 01:50:09 PM »
The reason Fran Fraschilla brought it up is because it left a huge hole in the Marquette team construct. Planning is fine but you need the airframes to drop the bombs. I am certain Hitler's Oberkommando der Wehrmacht General Staff planned Barbarossa meticulously but it failed due to a lack of fire power. Fraschilla mentioned Vander Blue's departure because it is hugely relevant with the current struggles. Fraschilla is not a "lazy journalist." He knows far more about basketball than everyone here combined.

For a program that has thrived under instability in every term of Buzz' tenure, Vander leaving is about tenth on the list in terms of surprise. Anyone paying attention to the program, including game analysts on ESPN, knew of Vander's desire to become a professional. It certainly didn't stop many of them claiming this year's team had Final Four potential even after Vander decided to leave the program. Now why would they do that knowing it left a huge hole in the Marquette team construct? Why would it be a problem now in their game analysis and not a problem in their pre-season analysis?

It's low hanging fruit.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2013, 01:53:44 PM »
Not bad, but I prefer this one....she seems to handle a longer weapon with great dexterity

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sEGE4W70U-U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sEGE4W70U-U</a>

Putting her a$$ up like that will cause her to shoot low and short

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2013, 02:02:05 PM »
Yes, but she appears to be an accomodatin' woman and that's to be commended.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"