'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The reality as I see it...  (Read 9571 times)

Harrison

• Team Captain
The reality as I see it...
« on: October 19, 2007, 12:20:46 PM »
By entering the Big East the challenge has gotten significantly more difficult for Marquette.  A top 1/2 finish in the Big East is far more difficult than was a top half finish, in the old C-USA.  Our talent level and depth has gotten better over the last few years but is that enough going forward?  People continue to be happy that our depth is better but wins and conference finishes are typical more predicated on difference makers not depth.  In 2003 we only had 10 guys on the roster, and a couple who rarely ever played.
My point is in 2001, Tom Crean signed an excellent class with 4 top 100 kids, he followed that up with a top 50 the next year in Diener and then Novak a top 50 too.  That core along with Jackson took MU to a conference title and two great seasons culminating with a FF appearance.  Then as that original core of 4 transferred, left early etc, the talent level dwindled and could not be sustained with the role players Crean was signing.
 We entered two dark seasons that were ear marked by being out talented most nights even by lesser programs, many blow out losses and no real athletic difference makers that could score the basketball or be shut down defenders.   
Then two years later Crean signed 3 difference makers in one class all basically top 75 recruits and off we went again earning a top 4 Big East finish and an NCAA appearnace led by 3 Freshaman and a hold over top 40 recruit in Novak.  These 3 will again lead us this year and two of them at least and probably all three next year too. MU is in good hands for 2008 and 2009. 
My concern is though history will repeat itself.  Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program.  I am the first one to admit that recent recruits such as Christopherson, Cubillan and Acker are far better than Howard, Bell, and Townsend, but that is comparing apples to oranges.  They better be, this aint C-USA.  What concerns me is the teams we need to compete with at the top of the BE are recruiting our socks off.  Georgetown, Syracuse, Villanova, and Louisville are signing 4 and 5 star recruits by the bushel.  Meanwhile we sign "better" players ,  but this will be 3 classes in a row that we have not signed a real difference maker.  Now I beleive that Mbakwe by all acoounts and from what i have seen of Lazar will be fine fine players.  But make no mistake we are where we are this year and next because of our 3 difference makers.  We have not signed one in 3 years.  In 2010 can our solid players... say a lineup of Mbakwe, Lazar, Williams, Acker and Cubi really expect to compete with the lineups of the aforemntioned schools that will consist of multiple McDonalds' AA's and be complemented by 4 star recruits such as Mookie Jones etc. etc. ? 
I hate to say it but I think MU is in for some rough sledding in two years with the type of players MU is signing.  All solid players in their own right but the lack of difference makers, those elite players, will not make for a pretty sight.  See depaul or providence last year...good collection of players and a respectable team but cant get it done against the top 1/3 of the conference.  Unfortunately we have swung and missed on every 4 and 5 star target this year...quite concerning. 

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
Re: The reality as I see it...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 12:28:59 PM »
Good post.  We need two top 100 type recruits and perhaps 1 project.  Every year, year in and year out if we want to compete in the upper echelon of the BE.  Otherwise we will be like Rutgers, SJ, Seaton Hall or the like. 

I had high hopes for 2008.  Now it looks like another year with 1 top-100 recruit and perhaps a couple of projects. 

Frustrating.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 12:39:08 PM »
My point is in 2001, Tom Crean signed an excellent class with 4 top 100 kids, he followed that up with a top 50 the next year in Diener and then Novak a top 50 too.  That core along with Jackson took MU to a conference title and two great seasons culminating with a FF appearance.  Then as that original core of 4 transferred, left early etc, the talent level dwindled and could not be sustained with the role players Crean was signing.

WTF are you smoking, 4 top 100 kids?  There was 1 concensus, Merritt.  Despite what Harv and Roy thought of him Wade was a concensus top 100, Hoopscoop for example had him somewhere between 200-300.  Exactly one ranking service had Blankson as top 100, and they had him at #100, some didn't see him as being among the top 300 players in the country.  Only one ranking had Sanders in the top 100, and while they did think he was top 40, they were the outlier.

If you're going to count guys as top 100 when they get it in one ranking, then Nick Williams is a 4 star top 40 guy.

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 12:45:43 PM »
Thanks, Harrison. I think you've articulated the situation/reality quite well. We are now running with the big (east) dogs and we are, for now, staying ahead of most in the pack because of the 3 amigos and some fine complimentary players. Once the big 3 are gone . . . well, you've said it quite well. This season especially looks very promising, next should be okay but not as good, and beyond that it does not look nearly as competitive in the conference, let alone as a national player. At least for the moment. I'm still numb and frustrated over yesterday's let down; may be that's clouding my thinking but do need to land more of the so-called elite players now. That immediate need seems less likely to be filled.  

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 12:56:54 PM »
Well BMA great job of absolutely missing the point.  Oh, and since i am working out of the house I grabbed my MU media guide for 2001  :D   Now you are correct ODB was only mentioned by one service as Top 100, my mistake.  But you are dead wrong on Wade and Sanders.  Bob Gibbons had Wade rated #55, Fox sports has him at #48.   Recruiting USA had Sanders rated #22 and the 4th highest rated PF, Hoop Scoop had him rated #7 in the post graduate rankings, Midwest Hoops had him the #24 PF in the nation if you corealate that to Scout etc. that is about Top 100.  So not only did you miss the point but you are dead wrong.  To appease you, i will restate to "3 top 100's". 
Your point? 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 01:52:02 PM »
Well BMA great job of absolutely missing the point.  Oh, and since i am working out of the house I grabbed my MU media guide for 2001  :D   Now you are correct ODB was only mentioned by one service as Top 100, my mistake.  But you are dead wrong on Wade and Sanders.  Bob Gibbons had Wade rated #55, Fox sports has him at #48.   Recruiting USA had Sanders rated #22 and the 4th highest rated PF, Hoop Scoop had him rated #7 in the post graduate rankings, Midwest Hoops had him the #24 PF in the nation if you corealate that to Scout etc. that is about Top 100.  So not only did you miss the point but you are dead wrong.  To appease you, i will restate to "3 top 100's". 
Your point? 

yes and Scout and Rivals didn't have either one of those guys in the top 100, and HoopScoop had Wade as a 4 star player which for them means he ranks between 100-200.  ODB was 100 in one rankings and according to Hoopscoop he was a 2 star player which puts him between 300-1000. 

The point is rankings are a crapshoot and just going by them to evaluate a class is a terrible idea.  There's no way of knowing who is right without actually watching them play.  It turned out that everyone had Wade rated too low, but they also had Sanders rated far too high.   The same kind of thing is happening with Nick Williams, where the rankings diverge greatly.  ESPN/Gibbons has him as the 35th best player in the class, Scout has him as the 33rd best Shooting Guard in the class which puts him around 165, Rivals has him as 149, HoopScoop had him at #52.   How do you know who is right without actually watching him play?

Large numbers of top 100 guys never pan out, and just basing recruiting on rankings is a terribly stupid idea.

tonyreeder

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 02:00:01 PM »
you have a helluva lot better chance of succeeding if you continue to bring in Top 100 players than those ranked lower.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 02:04:20 PM »
Large numbers of top 100 guys never pan out, and just basing recruiting on rankings is a terribly stupid idea.

Correct you are. Rankings are fun to talk about, and a fair guide for discussing the players MU is recruiting (the vast majority of whom none of us has seen), but they are not a completely accurate measure of the college prospects of an individual player or entire class.

Example ... the highest-ranked player of the Tom Crean era at Marquette? Dameon Mason.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 02:07:41 PM »
You guys are right. We shouldn't even care about highly ranked recruits. Just get guys in here who can ride a bike in a hyperbolic chamber and shed tackling dummies in practice.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 02:09:12 PM »
You guys are right. We shouldn't even care about highly ranked recruits. Just get guys in here who can ride a bike in a hyperbolic chamber and shed tackling dummies in practice.

I was counting down the minutes until you would make a snide remark about the bicycle thing.

I can now sleep better tonight.

downtown85

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 02:22:33 PM »

Correct you are. Rankings are fun to talk about, and a fair guide for discussing the players MU is recruiting (the vast majority of whom none of us has seen), but they are not a completely accurate measure of the college prospects of an individual player or entire class.

Example ... the highest-ranked player of the Tom Crean era at Marquette? Dameon Mason.

Don't know what you are talking about.  DM was ranked 71st by the final RSCI ranking his senior year.  All 3 Amigos were ranked higher their senior year.

see the link:

http://home.nc.rr.com/rsci/RSCI_100_PostSeason_2003.htm

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 02:32:03 PM »

I was counting down the minutes until you would make a snide remark about the bicycle thing.

I don't care about the bicycle chamber. I just think it's great that Crean was so impressed with its cost that he quoted the reporter the exact amount ($41,700) that we paid for it.

I'm curious 2002mualum...do you like guys who go around telling people how much they spend for things? They're a definite "type."

Crean is that type.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 02:51:22 PM »

I don't care about the bicycle chamber. I just think it's great that Crean was so impressed with its cost that he quoted the reporter the exact amount ($41,700) that we paid for it.

I'm curious 2002mualum...do you like guys who go around telling people how much they spend for things? They're a definite "type."

Crean is that type.

hold on.

I don't think Crean is quoted as saying the cost.

Now, I know your response is going to be "How else did the reporter know?"...

But, the reporter could've simply asked the manufacturer or even one of the other franchises that uses one. There is no way of knowing where he found out the cost.

Also, even if Crean did tell the reporter the cost... what's the big deal?

If he didn't tell the reporter, you'd be on here blasting him saying something like "I wonder how much this cost?!, maybe if he'd spend more money on XYZ MU would be more successful".

Dude, you don't like the guy.

WE GET IT.

No need for snide remarks about EVERY SINGLE THING the guy does.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 03:02:09 PM »

Don't know what you are talking about.  DM was ranked 71st by the final RSCI ranking his senior year.  All 3 Amigos were ranked higher their senior year.

see the link:

http://home.nc.rr.com/rsci/RSCI_100_PostSeason_2003.htm

I was going by the Scout.com rankings. Should have been more clear about that.
My overall point, however, remains.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 03:02:56 PM »

I'm curious 2002mualum...do you like guys who go around telling people how much they spend for thingsare infatuated with object-cathexis on the part of the sexual instincts with a view to direct sexual satisfaction? They're a definite "type." that do not have their narcissistic libido overflow onto the object which they love

Crean is that type.   I'm a psychologist!

Sigmund Freud'd
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 03:18:03 PM »
For Sale:  Slightly used hypoxic altitude chamber.  Works great but too big for rec room.  Asking price $41700.

LOL

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 03:26:42 PM »

Crean is that type.

I guess Crean is similar to the staff at Texas, since they just told the Wall Street Journal that they spent $152,585 on Gatorade and Power Bars for athletes last season.  Or Thad Matta, who gets 15 hours on a private jet for personal travel and 11 hours for recruiting trips over 200 miles.

So I guess guys like Thad Matta and Rick Barnes are the "type."

My question:  Why don't you want Crean to be more like other final four coaches such as Matta and Barnes?  Or do their personalites rub you the wrong way as well.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 07:20:24 PM »
I completely agree with you Harrison. Recruiting is crucial, and a couple of weak classes can kill you. Crean has had difficulty on a year over year basis. The top guys in the conference you mentioned have had and continue to have monster recruiting classes on a fairly consistent basis.   

4everwarriors

• All American
Crean Should Have Bid...
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 07:56:55 PM »
on Ebay for that cycling thing.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2007, 10:19:52 AM »
every single consensus top 100 kid Tom Crean has signed sored 1000 points in his career.  They are Wade, Merritt, ODB, Diener and Novak.  The others MAson, the 3 amigos and LAzar, mbakwe most likely will.

Tom Crean has never signed a player that scored 1000 points that was not in the top 100. 
- Yeah OK rankings dont mean anything. 

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2007, 10:48:25 AM »
anyone else excited for Nick Williams? I sure as hell am
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2007, 10:56:54 AM »
every single consensus top 100 kid Tom Crean has signed sored 1000 points in his career.  They are Wade, Merritt, ODB, Diener and Novak.  The others MAson, the 3 amigos and LAzar, mbakwe most likely will.

Tom Crean has never signed a player that scored 1000 points that was not in the top 100. 
- Yeah OK rankings dont mean anything. 

Please point out the post where anyone said "rankings don't mean anything."

I guess it's easier to invent points to argue against than deal with the points people actually are making.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2007, 02:25:12 PM »
What we really need is Wade, Diener and Novak to blow it up and DJ to get drafted (maybe with McNeal) so it really shows the recruits that we can produce NBA players.

Dangerous is the drought that hits programs who have NBAers in bunches but is unable to parlay their success into reeling in big-time recruits. Look at St. Joe's: Jameer Nelson and Delonte West get drafted but they've not hooked the bigger fish to help their program sustain their success.

You will have down years, but in the Big East, you really can't afford them. Fortunately, we do play in the BE which is what most hoop recruits would love to play in...but how do you sell the program over those who have consistently produced NBAers? How do you sell a university which lies near the heart of an undistinguishable city and lacks the big school atmosphere.

Since the latter questions really are uncontrollable from a program standpoint, the former is the only factor they can improve on.

Not getting Iman hurts more than it helps. Let's hope we can hook some more big names and continue to dig for some gold as well.
SS Marquette

Pardner

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2007, 06:51:55 PM »
With a program like MU, we NEED one Top 100 per year...and 2-3 one other year can get us into the top of the BE.  We are not Duke, UNC or Kansas, and TC is not yet Coach K. or Williams where he can jump in late and sign a hot guy...and non one can recruit like Self (although he cannot coach a lick).  Players go to these programs to leave, thus they can absorb three-four Top 100 per year.  Playing time is what recruits want because of the promise of early entry and $$ into the NBA.  I think the Duke program has actually suffered recently because of the early exits as their program is built on continuity.  CT has for sure.

Realistically, we cannot go there right now.  We lost IS because of a backlog of guard depth.  TC has to get a headstart in recruiting....three years ago when he started going heavy on IS we all thought DJ would be gone and Acker wasn't even in the picture.  Our guards may still be in school when IS is playing pro.  Our F4 year got us the three amigos a couple of years later...but could get us anyone lasting that next year (Mason)...Entering the BE is opening other parts of the country to TC.  Talk of TC leaving every year doesn't help matters.  This is a critical year for TC and the program.

downtown85

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2007, 02:57:28 AM »
How do you sell a university which lies near the heart of an undistinguishable city and lacks the big school atmosphere.

Like Louisville? With the coach. 

Not to knock TC because I like what he has accomplished, I really do, but Rick Pitino, JT3 (and I predict that Rick Majerus if his ticker holds out) have the ability to transform schools into final four contenders regularly.  I think MU is and will be a threat to be a top-25 team under TC for the forseable future but without getting the "difference makers" on a regular basis it will not lead to more regular visits to elite-8 or final 4. 

Yes, regarding my Majerus comment, I am predicting here and now that SLU in a couple of years will be a sort of Gonzaga in their conference.  It will be a strong, regular top-25 team which makes a run in the tourney now and then. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2007, 12:17:47 PM »
How do you sell a university which lies near the heart of an undistinguishable city and lacks the big school atmosphere.

Like Louisville? With the coach. 

Not to knock TC because I like what he has accomplished, I really do, but Rick Pitino, JT3 (and I predict that Rick Majerus if his ticker holds out) have the ability to transform schools into final four contenders regularly.  I think MU is and will be a threat to be a top-25 team under TC for the forseable future but without getting the "difference makers" on a regular basis it will not lead to more regular visits to elite-8 or final 4. 

Yes, regarding my Majerus comment, I am predicting here and now that SLU in a couple of years will be a sort of Gonzaga in their conference.  It will be a strong, regular top-25 team which makes a run in the tourney now and then. 

Agreed on Majerus. The dude lives, breathes, and preaches hoops. Furthermore, he IS a personality.

But I disagree on your Louisville comparison as a city and university:
- Louisville is the 17th largest city; Milwaukee is 25th.
- Louisville is located in the heart of hoops rabid Kentucky (and central to the IL-IN-KY hoops heaven)
- They have a great D-I football college program (as of recently)
- The University is about twice the size of Marquette: 22,000 to 12,000
- They're public, we're private

Some more interesting facts:
- U of L has more registered college license plates than the University of Kentucky (18,300 to 17,000); a fourfold increase since 2004. That's something Marquette doesn't have...
- The total sales of U of L merchandise has tripled since 2001, now ranking 27th nationally in sales, second highest in the Big East Conference and the third highest among all urban universities (Southern California and Miami).
- U of L currently fields 13 women's teams and 10 men's teams; Marquette has 11 varsity teams: M/W basketball, M/W cross-country, men's golf, M/W soccer,  track & field, M/W tennis and women's volleyball

Clearly, Louisville has much more than just Pitino to pump up its sports program. But I won't argue a personality as Pitino will help get the recruits in. As seen in the history of the Big East, the best coaches have the personalities to separate themselves from the rest of the pack: Massimino, JTII, Carnessecca (sp?), Boeheim, Calhoun, etc.
SS Marquette

augoman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2007, 01:48:43 PM »
everytime I meet a Looville native in Florida, they tell me how lucky I am to have Wisconsin winter- real snow, rather than the cold, damp, dreary 7 month rain they have!  FWIW.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 11:03:50 AM »
Personally, I think it was great to see Crean work so hard on a recruit.  Being at his door step in a limo at 12:01 bringing him on MM with Dwade ...trailing him so hard etc.  All great and wonderful and necessary for MU to go up against the big boys.  Just one question why can't we put out that kind of effort for a big guy?   Was Shumpert all that necessary, I see next year's class as the one most necessary and with the best chance of signing great guards(ie playing time). Either way maybe he just really liked and wanted Shumpert, nothing wrong with that, but again why not all that effort for a big man.  We have signed 2 legitimate bigs in 9 years. ( merritt and mbakwe) it's dumbfounding...if we were not getting decimated in the paint than I could say, "Hey, it's unconventional (that is signing unknown bigs) but it works.  But it is clearly not working.  We have national title contending guards and NAIA bigs that have netted two first round flameouts.

downtown85

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 02:10:52 PM »
Personally, I think it was great to see Crean work so hard on a recruit.  Being at his door step in a limo at 12:01 bringing him on MM with Dwade ...trailing him so hard etc.  All great and wonderful and necessary for MU to go up against the big boys.  Just one question why can't we put out that kind of effort for a big guy?   Was Shumpert all that necessary, I see next year's class as the one most necessary and with the best chance of signing great guards(ie playing time). Either way maybe he just really liked and wanted Shumpert, nothing wrong with that, but again why not all that effort for a big man.  We have signed 2 legitimate bigs in 9 years. ( merritt and mbakwe) it's dumbfounding...if we were not getting decimated in the paint than I could say, "Hey, it's unconventional (that is signing unknown bigs) but it works.  But it is clearly not working.  We have national title contending guards and NAIA bigs that have netted two first round flameouts.

good question.  I don't know.  I would've thought that there were a couple of guys over 6' 7" tall who the coaching staff could have put the effort into.  Speaking about broken records, this is starting to sound like a broken record.  Every year we have the same question.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2007, 11:22:41 AM »
Unfortunately, I think our unprecedented turnover in assistants has hurt us too.  Look at the affect Buzz has had on guys that he has developed relationships with over a 2-3 year period.  Same goes for HS coaches, an assistant get to know HS coaches in an area and develops a repoire or trust in how they have handled other area kids. At Mu a recruit may be recruited by numerous different assisatnts over a 2-3 year period.  That has to have it's disadvantages when compared to a scholl that has the same asst. coach develop a realtionship over time.  How many guys were our different asststants on and then those guys left.  It has to hurt.  Even look at Rabadeuax he is still with the staff but went from a recruiting to non-recruiting position so now his guys are being handeled by someone else.  Crean has had 2 very very nice classes and 7 not so hot unfortunately he has had 3 in a row below avergae when judged against our peers (BE).  Just like in 2004 and 2005 it is going to bite us in a couple of years.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 12:13:02 PM »
Unfortunately, I think our unprecedented turnover in assistants has hurt us too.  Look at the affect Buzz has had on guys that he has developed relationships with over a 2-3 year period.  Same goes for HS coaches, an assistant get to know HS coaches in an area and develops a repoire or trust in how they have handled other area kids. At Mu a recruit may be recruited by numerous different assisatnts over a 2-3 year period.  That has to have it's disadvantages when compared to a scholl that has the same asst. coach develop a realtionship over time.  How many guys were our different asststants on and then those guys left.  It has to hurt.  Even look at Rabadeuax he is still with the staff but went from a recruiting to non-recruiting position so now his guys are being handeled by someone else.  Crean has had 2 very very nice classes and 7 not so hot unfortunately he has had 3 in a row below avergae when judged against our peers (BE).  Just like in 2004 and 2005 it is going to bite us in a couple of years.

So what is Crean supposed to do?  Turn down a basketball mind like Jerry Sichting because he's likely going to get another NBA coaching job in a year or two?

A couple of years ago, people criticized Crean because he didn't have assistants with deep basketball minds that could help him with coaching.  So he loads up on former NBA assistatants and former college head coaches--all of whom are better able to help with coaching, but because of their talent and accomplishment more likely to leave because of a better job.

So perhaps our helpful "fans" can point to the deep pool of candidates who can coach at a top-25, able to recruit the same, and are so completely unambitious that they have no interest in an NBA assistant or college head coaching job.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 01:00:48 PM »
So what is Crean supposed to do?  Turn down a basketball mind like Jerry Sichting because he's likely going to get another NBA coaching job in a year or two?

Short answer, yes.  I brought this up on the other board a few days ago, and the numbers clearly point to better recruiting when you have assistants that stick around longer.

Using Scout's top 20 recruiting classes from last year, the average assistant coach has been at that particular school for 4.18 years, and been working for that coach for 5.01 years regardless of school.  The average assistant coach at MU has been there for 1.8 years, and in the whole of Crean's tenure the average coach lasts 2 years with him.

Take it a step further and look at at Rivals top 25 hoops recruiters from 2005 and 2006(I couldn't find 2007).  43 different assistant coaches made the list.  Those 43 coaches have been at the school where they achieved the ranking an average of 5.39 years, and in general they average 3.76 at all schools they've worked at.  23 of the 43 have been with their current school(where they got the ranking) for 5 or more years, and 3 additional have been there for 4 years.  In the entire history of Crean at MU only 3 coaches have ever even made it to the 4th year, and since Stephens and Horn left in 2003 the average amount of time a coach spends at MU is 1.6 years.

So perhaps our helpful "fans" can point to the deep pool of candidates who can coach at a top-25, able to recruit the same, and are so completely unambitious that they have no interest in an NBA assistant or college head coaching job.

I'll try find the list of names when I'm at home, but again using Rivals list, purely from a numbers standpoint, 28 of the 43 best recruiting assistant coaches in the country have never been head coaches at any level.  Two have only been coaches at the JUCO level and they left that to become assistants at major colleges.  There may have been one or two that had NBA assistant jobs at some point, I didn't really look for that.

It's not that you can't get good recruits and play winning basketball with assistant coaching turnover, but it makes the job much harder.  Having that much turnover requires head coaches to be much more involved in the recruiting than they are at other schools and that takes away from the time they can spend in other areas.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 02:25:44 PM »
Bilsu, the flaw I see in your argument is based on who does the recruiting.  In many of those other programs you cite, the assistants do the recruiting.  When I worked at KU and IU, Williams and Knight almost never recruited and as such the assistants were key, so was the stability.

At MU, Crean does the recruiting as he's the stable constant. 

I believe you have to factor that into the equation.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2007, 03:00:29 PM »
Bilsu, the flaw I see in your argument is based on who does the recruiting.  In many of those other programs you cite, the assistants do the recruiting.  When I worked at KU and IU, Williams and Knight almost never recruited and as such the assistants were key, so was the stability.

At MU, Crean does the recruiting as he's the stable constant. 

I believe you have to factor that into the equation.

Crean comes into close the deal and he is the primary recruiter for the very top targets, but he's not doing a lot of the legwork with many of the recruits.  We know how important Seltzer was with Nick Williams, we know Buzz Williams was the key to Erik Williams and Fulce, Lazar Hayward talked about how much he liked Rab from his experience of Rab recruiting him, and Stultz's father has mentioned that Buckley is the MU coach recruiting him and that he has barely talked to Crean. 

Crean really relies on the assistants to do much of the early recruiting and then he comes in to close the deal.  The assistant does much of the selling of the program to the player, and it would seem that the longer the assistant is in the program the better equipped they would be to sell the player on the program's strengths.  Right now, the only guy with any real length of time in the program changed his job and isn't involved in off campus recruiting. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2007, 03:06:18 PM »
My point is that he does much more than many head coaches at this level in recruiting.  There were some kids at IU that NEVER MET Bobby until they were already enrolled.

I'm not saying our assistants don't recruit at all, far from it.  My point is simply that Crean is out on the recruiting trail more than most head coaches are.

That being said, stability at those positions would be nice but I will never get down on a person that has a chance to improve his lot in life, the case with about 90% of these assistant coaches that have left.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2007, 03:14:45 PM »
My point is that he does much more than many head coaches at this level in recruiting.  There were some kids at IU that NEVER MET Bobby until they were already enrolled.

I'm not saying our assistants don't recruit at all, far from it.  My point is simply that Crean is out on the recruiting trail more than most head coaches are.

That being said, stability at those positions would be nice but I will never get down on a person that has a chance to improve his lot in life, the case with about 90% of these assistant coaches that have left.

But the fact that he is heavily involved is partly out of necessity.  He has to be there because he never knows when a coach might leave and then you'd be starting all over if Crean wasn't at least involved with the player.  With a more stable assistant coaching group, he wouldn't have to do that as much.  He could really focus on the primary targets, or the time could be spent working on player development, scouting, gameplanning etc. 

With the limited amount of time there is for a coach to do all of the things that need to be done, there would seem to be better uses for his time than covering his assistant's recruiting.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2007, 03:15:55 PM »
"A couple of years ago, people criticized Crean because he didn't have assistants with deep basketball minds that could help him with coaching.  So he loads up on former NBA assistatants and former college head coaches"

- yes and then they left because he was maniacal and did not listen to them anyway...would you not leave too?

Chico's I think your 90% is a little high... other coaches have left with no job or a lateral move most of them after one year?  Hmmm I wonder why...oh let me add I have spoken to some of them.

Lastly, BMA is dead on correct.  And that was my point we might be on a guy as a sophomore and then the asst. leaves.  So we bring in sos anso and have him be the head guy on that recruit, well it may be a completely different dynamic.  BMA's correlation of tenure and success is not suprising whatsoever.  Not too mention thje fact that our recent assistan hires of Seltzer and Buzz are not from the area...do you think they have the Chicago connections or the NE connections that many of the long time BE assistants have.  No! it's impossible.  Now Seltzer and Buzz have pulled 3 3star recruits out of the South and that is decent but it is much more difficult to recruit out of those areas than the NE and Chicago. And BMA is right Crean needs to be more involved to provide continuity as an MU recruit might be recruited by 2-3 different assistants while he is in HS.  Do you think that helps our situation?   We need some continuity and Crean needs to quit whiffing when he steps in. Roy and Booby had long time assistants that could feel out the recruits and then have them step in and try to seal the deal.  Mu recruiting appears to be in a continued state of chaos.  Not surprising as a program tends to take the culture of it's leader.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 03:21:28 PM by Harrison »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2007, 03:28:51 PM »
One more thing that I forgot before.  Just look at the programs that these guys are coming from...Arizona, Ohio State, Georgetown, UNC, Memphis, Syracuse, UConn, Duke, Kansas, Villanova, Washington, Florida, Tennessee, Texas, Michigan State.....etc.  Yes, some are traditional powers, but you'll also notice that tehse are the teams that are consistently good, consistently at the top of power conferences, consistently going deep in the tournament etc.

If it works for them, why wouldn't you want to emulate it at MU? 

coach85

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2007, 03:31:17 PM »
With Crean more involved in recruiting due to staff turnover etc., it puzzles me that he has not been able to deliver recruits from his native Michigan - usually a solid source of talent. Crean has to have relationships all over the state and yet, of late, MU is not even being listed as a factor with most top ranked MI high school players. Even DePaul has landed highly ranked MI native recruits Wilson Chandler and now Dar Tucker. When's the last time a MI kid was @ MU on a visit?  A grand total of what, 3 MI natives signed in Crean's years with only Grimm graduating ? To be fair, the depth of quality recruits from MI has not been as highly rated in the last year or two, but this has also been a time when the University of MI b-ball program has really struggled and would appear to have been less attractive for instate talent.

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2007, 03:40:09 PM »
With Crean more involved in recruiting due to staff turnover etc., it puzzles me that he has not been able to deliver recruits from his native Michigan - usually a solid source of talent. Crean has to have relationships all over the state and yet, of late, MU is not even being listed as a factor with most top ranked MI high school players. Even DePaul has landed highly ranked MI native recruits Wilson Chandler and now Dar Tucker. When's the last time a MI kid was @ MU on a visit?  A grand total of what, 3 MI natives signed in Crean's years with only Grimm graduating ? To be fair, the depth of quality recruits from MI has not been as highly rated in the last year or two, but this has also been a time when the University of MI b-ball program has really struggled and would appear to have been less attractive for instate talent.

The last two recruits we had from Michigan were spectacular flameouts. Perhaps Michigan high school coaches have soured on Crean?

whoffman

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2007, 03:43:52 PM »
We need an AD and soon!

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2007, 04:05:40 PM »
How does an AD pertain to this situation?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2007, 04:13:09 PM »
If we're able to land quality players and have very good coaches, I think it can negate the fact that we may lose a top 50 guy to another school.  While it definitely helps to have top recruits, if you don't, the next best thing is to have solid recruits and a coaching staff that gets those recruits to play well in the system that the school runs.  Thats one of the reasons UW has been so solid under Ryan.  They land a few big names but a lot of their recruits just fit well into the system that Bo runs and that makes them a successful program.

whoffman

• Walk-On
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2007, 04:19:48 PM »
Harrison, who is TC accountable to?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2007, 04:25:20 PM »
Harrison, who is TC accountable to?

the fans that will riot if the correct decisions are not made ;)

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2007, 04:52:21 PM »
As much as I hate to say it Bo Ryan is 10X the coach Crean is.  Crean has his strengths no doubt. But as far as defense and in game excecution Bo is far superior.  Much of it may simply have to do with Bo's experience versus Crean's and that is understandable but Bo is a much better coach than Crean. And I hate Wisconsin, but he is really good.  Must take a shower now.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2007, 05:02:02 PM »
With Crean more involved in recruiting due to staff turnover etc., it puzzles me that he has not been able to deliver recruits from his native Michigan - usually a solid source of talent. Crean has to have relationships all over the state and yet, of late, MU is not even being listed as a factor with most top ranked MI high school players. Even DePaul has landed highly ranked MI native recruits Wilson Chandler and now Dar Tucker. When's the last time a MI kid was @ MU on a visit?  A grand total of what, 3 MI natives signed in Crean's years with only Grimm graduating ? To be fair, the depth of quality recruits from MI has not been as highly rated in the last year or two, but this has also been a time when the University of MI b-ball program has really struggled and would appear to have been less attractive for instate talent.

He does have Michigan connections from the days at MSU, and he was a part of bringing in the "Flintstones"(Cleaves more than the others), but he was also the "recruiting coordinator" for Izzo and that meant he did more out of state recruiting than the other coaches(like Stan Heath).  He was the one that got them Andre Hutson and AJ Granger out of Ohio.  He was the one that got MSU in early on Zach Randolph, etc. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2007, 05:06:23 PM »
I think one of Bo's assets that really helps is his assistants stick around for a long time.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2007, 05:22:08 PM »
I think one of Bo's assets that really helps is his assistants stick around for a long time.

He's only had 3 leave in the last 3 years right?   ???

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2007, 05:26:33 PM »
The 90% number might be high but I think most have left for higher positions.

Off the top of my head

Buckley
Kowalczyk
Horn
Stephens
Wardle
the guy that went to Lewis as head coach (name escapes me)
Townsend
Prioleau
Sichting

All left for head coaching or better positions (i.e. 3rd assistant to 2nd assistant)

That leaves

Panagio....actually did leave to become a head coach but it was NBDL
Strohm....lateral move
Ellis....got out of coaching entirely (not a lateral move)
Schwab....health issues, out of coaching entirely (not a lateral move)

9 guys left for better jobs.  2 left for lateral moves...that's 82%...I was close.  2 others left for entirely different jobs out of college coaching.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 05:32:31 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2007, 05:32:24 PM »
As much as I hate to say it Bo Ryan is 10X the coach Crean is.  Crean has his strengths no doubt. But as far as defense and in game excecution Bo is far superior.  Much of it may simply have to do with Bo's experience versus Crean's and that is understandable but Bo is a much better coach than Crean. And I hate Wisconsin, but he is really good.  Must take a shower now.

Bo Ryan has his system... the most boring offensive scheme in the history of basketball... does it work? sure does, and wins games, but if I had to watch that system and be proud of it the whole season, I would puke.  It takes players talents and kills them, except for a player like Alando Tucker, who benefits from a system like that.  We are complaining about Crean's lack of coaching/recruiting (which I find odd, because since Al, he has done the best).  Look at this year, we have a legitimate top 10 team year round, and we are complaining before the season starts, why?  I think this is what will happen this year

Win Maui Invitational
Beat Badgers @ Kohl Center
Top 3 in the BE
Sweet Sixteen/better with a 3/4 seed.

If this is true, in my eyes, MU basketball is doing just fine for itself.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2007, 05:37:48 PM »
One more thing that I forgot before.  Just look at the programs that these guys are coming from...Arizona, Ohio State, Georgetown, UNC, Memphis, Syracuse, UConn, Duke, Kansas, Villanova, Washington, Florida, Tennessee, Texas, Michigan State.....etc.  Yes, some are traditional powers, but you'll also notice that tehse are the teams that are consistently good, consistently at the top of power conferences, consistently going deep in the tournament etc.

If it works for them, why wouldn't you want to emulate it at MU? 

It wasn't that long ago that Memphis, Washington, Villanova, Florida and Tennessee were far from consistently good.  They went through their swoons just like MU.

Now, someone will have to remind me...we are ranked in the top 15 this year...right?

feedback