Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This team needs to figure a bunch of stuff out  (Read 10512 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: This team needs to figure a bunch of stuff out
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »
Check this out:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/marquette/23-wesley-matthews/game_stats?season=2008-2009&stat_type=1&game_type=1&chart1=minutes&chart2=points&chart3=effective_fg_pct&chart4=&chart5=

And then:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/marquette/jamil-wilson/game_stats?season=2013-2014&stat_type=1&game_type=1&chart1=minutes&chart2=points&chart3=effective_fg_pct&chart4=&chart5=

Gross.

Jamil's numbers as a 5th year senior look like Wes' as a Frosh.

Granted, they aren't an apples to apples comparison (schedule, position, role in the offense, etc.)... but it's still not good for a guy (Jamil) that I love, and had high expectations for.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2013, 10:29:37 AM »
So, sounds like you aren't taking him up on his offer then, huh?
Read-I said if I were a betting man. Besides, I still have hope we will improve, so why would I bet against my team? I did not start the .500 comment. I quoted the other poster. You are welcome to take his bet up, if you like. Since Lenny said Buzz's past performance is deserving, judge by the past 8 games.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2013, 12:15:19 PM »
Read-I said if I were a betting man. Besides, I still have hope we will improve, so why would I bet against my team? I did not start the .500 comment. I quoted the other poster. You are welcome to take his bet up, if you like. Since Lenny said Buzz's past performance is deserving, judge by the past 8 games.

Dude.  relax.  It is basketball.  On tv, played by 19 year olds.  Seriously.  Like for real.  No joke.  Breathe.  Bring the blood pressure down.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2013, 12:31:54 PM »
If there's one stat that stands out .. it's the 315th ranking we have on 3-point%, 28% and dropping .. had 9% tonight.  

If we can't keep anyone honest outside the arc, it makes it ever tougher to score inside.
Is this a surprise?  The freshman don't play and aside from Jamil Wilson no one was able to shoot threes any better last year either:
Jamil Wilson 36% 36/100
Trent Lockett 33% 13/39 - GONE
Vander Blue 30% 40/132 - GONE
Juan Anderson 29% 12/42
Todd Mayo 28% 17/61
Jake Thomas 27% 10/36
Steve Taylor 25% 3/12
Junior Cadougan 23% 14/62 - GONE
Davante Gardner 20% 1/5
Derrick Wilson 13% 1/8
Chris Otule 0% 0/0

28% seems to be about the right average.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2013, 02:17:44 PM »
Dude.  relax.  It is basketball.  On tv, played by 19 year olds.  Seriously.  Like for real.  No joke.  Breathe.  Bring the blood pressure down.

This.

It's supposed to be a diversion from real life. It's supposed to be fun. Doesn't mean we can't have intelligent debate, but it's just basketball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2013, 02:21:58 PM »
Dude--you relax. Breathe. I am very mellow. By the way, they are not all 19 year olds. Otule, Gardner, Thomas, The Wilsons, Anderson, etc. have been around a while. Otule will qualify for Social Security in a couple years. Raise the expectation level above mediocrity--no joke.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2013, 02:37:18 PM »
Dude--you relax. Breathe. I am very mellow. By the way, they are not all 19 year olds. Otule, Gardner, Thomas, The Wilsons, Anderson, etc. have been around a while. Otule will qualify for Social Security in a couple years. Raise the expectation level above mediocrity--no joke.

I said you RELAX!

yeah sure Lenny, keep slurping the Kool Aid. And speaking of loud and obnoxious, you own it. If I were a betting man, I would bet that you cannot handle facts, which is why you jump to name calling. Please for Lenny's sake, drink Kool Aid with him, but whatever you do, do not comment on our below average performance. As I said ,this is Buzz's most overrated and underperforming team, but you are right--give him a pass because of past performance.
Buzz the Mastermind, draws up a play for Ja. Wilson to walk, and while doing that he takes Burton, the hottest guy on the floor out. In Buzz we trust.
thames is kicking our ass while the lock down defender Derrick is guarding him.
Yep, we need more bigs like Otule, who has worked hard and in his 6th year is averaging about 7 and 3. He has overcome a lot and hopefully he will be able to transition to the pros in Bulgaria.

We could do worse. We could recruit more Mbaos.

All said with all due respect for all concerned.
1. Start Derrick every game giving him 30+ mpg
2. Gush over Derrick whenever he scores 4 or more points in a game
3. Continue to ride JT for 20 minutes a game.
4. Likely relegate Du. Wilson to 3 minutes per game/or redshirt him
5. Continue to develop Otule and hope he can get a 7th year out of him
6. Continue with his Texas homilies about life philosophy
7. Stay with MU "as long as they will want him"
8. Allow Mayo to shine one game and go off the ledge the next
9. Immediately pull Ox from each game whenever he takes a shot beyond 12+feet, at the same time encouraging Jamil and Mayo to chuck up 3 point attempts
10. Explain how tough the NBEast is in order to justify our 5th place standing
11. Start Steve Taylor at the 5 next year and sign 3 more switchables between 6'4" and 6'6" next year, all in the top 100.
12. Redshirt Satchel next year so he can get him on the Otule path
13. Go back to scheduling cupcakes early in the year, "fixing what is broken" from this year.
14. Dance on the Bradley floor after blowing out New Hamp. by 9 points.
How dare you criticize Buzz. Beware you will face the wrath of the Sultan.

By the way, the freshman will not develop only playing against Grambling. They should play-especially in the backcourt.
Here we go again with the great Sultan expounding? Bowing down and slurping at the altar of Buzz. I show up plenty Sultan. You continue to give all the passes you want, and when I see flaws I will call them out. Somebody should. And I submit to you that Buzz needs to shake up the starting lineup again, or there will be no Conference Title, and judging by yesterday, no NCAA tourney. And no, I do not mean starting Anderson for 3 minutes each half. Significant changes are in order.
Prediction: Buzz does not have the gonads to shake up the starting line-up
The only thing sharp about him is his pointy head. Why the hell is he in there? Get him out and on the pines.

Jim Burr is a huge douche. He hates MU, and is the lousiest ref in the country. How does he get our games?

A terrible first half by both teams--ugly, ugly.

Our guard play is killing us.

It only looks like Ox and Taylor came to play.

When is J. Wilson going to step up like a 5th year senior should?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2013, 02:43:58 PM »
I said you RELAX!

I am very relaxed knowing that you pulled up a few of my recent posts. It must make your day to read them--DUDE! That is always relaxing to have one quoted. And you can say all that you want Reindeer, but I don't work for you.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2013, 02:57:35 PM »
Does everyone here realize that our best offensive player was far from 100% last night? I'm not going to sit here and say that everything is going great with this team, but I don't think our performance thus far indicates a sub .500 conference record.

Based on the analysis of some of the posters here, Creighton must be a horrible team. At least we know they will finish below us.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »
If you think predicting a sub .500 conference record is "handling facts" and disagreeing with that assessment is "slurping kool aid", I'm offering you some easy money. Not surprised, though, that you would decline. Guys who scream the loudest invariably are afraid to back up their rhetoric.

A lot of that around here.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2013, 07:43:27 PM »
It has definitely been a disappointing start....would be quite surprised if we are not 5-4 after going to Madison.  Picked to win the Big East, preseason ranked (this is why I hate preseason rankings), Final Four team by some.

Fortunately, its only December 2nd, but it would be nice to get a scalp or two outside of conference that means something.  Only 1 or 2 opportunities left. 

I don't think we will end up with any quality non-conference wins, unless you count GW. This is shaping up to be a dicey season.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2013, 09:02:40 AM »
I am very relaxed knowing that you pulled up a few of my recent posts. It must make your day to read them--DUDE! That is always relaxing to have one quoted. And you can say all that you want Reindeer, but I don't work for you.

Ok, I believe you. 

Curious how you respond to real life hardships and tough times if you take something like college basketball so seriously.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2013, 09:15:33 AM »
I don't think we will end up with any quality non-conference wins, unless you count GW. This is shaping up to be a dicey season.

That's not as terrible as it could be since only one of the five opportunities to pick up a strong non-conference win came at home. However, it does mean Marquette will likely need a 15-3 record in 2014 to avoid those questions on their resume when selections commence. Given the conference we're in, I think that record is doable.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2013, 09:19:33 AM »
That's not as terrible as it could be since only one of the five opportunities to pick up a strong non-conference win came at home. However, it does mean Marquette will likely need a 15-3 record in 2014 to avoid those questions on their resume when selections commence. Given the conference we're in, I think that record is doable.

I think it's doable, too ... but we didn't exactly manhandle New Hampshire and Southern, two teams that wouldn't be picked to finish in our league's top 10!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »

I don't know, 15-3 seems awfully optimistic right now.  @ Villanova, @ Creighton, @ Butler, @ Providence, @ Xavier, @ Georgetown....a lot of losses seem very plausible right there assuming we hold serve at home, which there will be some very difficult return games at the BC. 

I'm thinking 10 or 11 wins right now might be pretty stellar unless we find another gear.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2013, 10:15:04 AM »
I don't know, 15-3 seems awfully optimistic right now.  @ Villanova, @ Creighton, @ Butler, @ Providence, @ Xavier, @ Georgetown....a lot of losses seem very plausible right there assuming we hold serve at home, which there will be some very difficult return games at the BC. 

I'm thinking 10 or 11 wins right now might be pretty stellar unless we find another gear.

Yeah, it has less to do with optimism for Marquette and more to do with what I see as a conference of average and below average teams.

Hall, DePaul, Xavier are not good. St. John's still has Lavin coaching so they'll underperform. GTown has same issues as ever. Which will be similar for Butler whose defense is good but offense too reliant on individual scoring plays. Creighton can't guard. Nova isn't scary regardless of the overhyped reaction to beating an ill and very young Kansas squad. PC is dangerous but Dunn's injury is key and could derail their promise.

Four or five of these teams are capable of looking good for a two week stretch but I've never seen a conference where each team has such debilitating weaknesses.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2013, 10:17:27 AM »

Marquette Will go 5 games over .500 in conference.  Qualify for Tourney as a 6 seed!!   
Write it down

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2013, 10:17:32 AM »
Ok, I believe you. 

Curious how you respond to real life hardships and tough times if you take something like college basketball so seriously.
And you don't? Pulling up several past posts off a board sounds like you must take it pretty seriously.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2013, 10:19:26 AM »
Marquette Will go 5 games over .500 in conference.  Qualify for Tourney as a 6 seed!!   
Write it down

MU plays 18 BE games. Unless they tie or have a game rained out, they can't finish 5 games over .500.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »
MU plays 18 BE games. Unless they tie or have a game rained out, they can't finish 5 games over .500.

F*cking math...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »
Yeah, it has less to do with optimism for Marquette and more to do with what I see as a conference of average and below average teams.

Hall, DePaul, Xavier are not good. St. John's still has Lavin coaching so they'll underperform. GTown has same issues as ever. Which will be similar for Butler whose defense is good but offense too reliant on individual scoring plays. Creighton can't guard. Nova isn't scary regardless of the overhyped reaction to beating an ill and very young Kansas squad. PC is dangerous but Dunn's injury is key and could derail their promise.

Four or five of these teams are capable of looking good for a two week stretch but I've never seen a conference where each team has such debilitating weaknesses.

Taken one by one, your analysis of each team could end up being correct. But collectively, to expect all of them to underperform while Marquette excels, well, it seems unrealistic.

Any fan of any other Big East school could do a similar team-by-team review and say, "Marquette has not looked good. Marquette still has problems at PG so they'll underperform. Marquette has issues. Marquette's defense is good but offense too reliant on a few undependable players. Marquette isn't scary regardless of the overhyped preseason ratings. Marquette is dangerous but Duane Wilson's injury already has hurt their situation."

In other words, we see what we want to see.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2013, 10:36:31 AM »

Buzz is fond of the "build a house" analogy - every April you tear down the old one and pour the foundation for a new one. Some of the "materials" he thought he would have at his disposal (Blue, McKay, Duane Wilson) aren't available, so it's fair to say construction is behind schedule. You're right to say that as of today 10 or 11 Big East wins would be stellar, but I'm hoping (based on past performance) that Buzz will solve some of December's doubts/problems.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2013, 10:58:47 AM »
And you don't? Pulling up several past posts off a board sounds like you must take it pretty seriously.

You are right, and I am wrong.  Continue to have a fulfilling and meaningful life blowing up on message boards about kids that shoot an orange ball into a hoop, while you watch on tv. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »
Any fan of any other Big East school could do a similar team-by-team review and say, "Marquette has not looked good. Marquette still has problems at PG so they'll underperform. Marquette has issues. Marquette's defense is good but offense too reliant on a few undependable players. Marquette isn't scary regardless of the overhyped preseason ratings. Marquette is dangerous but Duane Wilson's injury already has hurt their situation."

In other words, we see what we want to see.

Well said.  Question will be whether we can kick it up a notch as thus far it's been pretty pedestrian.

I think Xavier (much like MU) is better than we are giving them credit for, especially at Xavier.  XU should have beaten a good Iowa team.  Seems like that loss stung them for the rest of their tournament.  Seton Hall, I expected more quite frankly.  DePaul, they've bitten us before with far lesser talent.  Butler has exceeded my expectations thus far, perhaps they come back to the pack.  Nova looks good.  Creighton can't guard but we can't shoot.  :D  G'Town will be tough at their place.  I just don't see us getting out of this conference with 3 losses, not the way we are playing and shooting right now.  Lenny's points are well taken and certainly hope for that improvement, but as the title of this thread indicates, we have to figure out a bunch of stuff soon.  This weekend doesn't get any easier.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »
You are right, and I am wrong.  Continue to have a fulfilling and meaningful life blowing up on message boards about kids that shoot an orange ball into a hoop, while you watch on tv. 
Just like you. By the way--what is your definition of blowing up?